Black. White.

FX (ended 2006)

Black. White. Fan Reviews (46)

7.4
  • the fuck?

I remember being forced to watch this in the ninth grade and all that just kept buzzing through my head was one question: why? Why did these people go through this; couldn't the just use their imaginations or actually talk to the people of the opposite ethnicity? What was the point of this show? But of course, I couldn't ignore the show, otherwise I would've gotten "an F for lack of I don't recommend watching this show, unless your looking for more ways to offend people by their racial background.
  • Where are they now

I would to see a follow-up on the show as it has been 8 years. I would like to know how and what the children are up to and there view point as of today and that experience. Where are they now, type of thing. Does anyone know the answer to the question.

Thanks!
  • Trying to make a statment but flopped on its face.

1.5
    Dont get me wrong, i think the show had good intentions. but it was alittle too far fetched to be a "reality" show. its was clearly scripted and put on. all through the show both families didnt get along at all but at the last episode thay suddenly understood each other? you can see why thair hasnt been a follow up season to black. white.
  • Depreciated. Such is everything. This show takes television one step closer to what art is all about...

Depreciated. Such is everything. This show takes television one step closer to what art is all about. Think Greek tragedy. Art can never be more than tragic. Art which treats art in this manner is the truest art there can ever be. I am who I am. When you free yourself of all the systems around you, you will be the greatness you truly are, humanity will realise itself.

I dedicate these words to everyone
    Just like everyone else dedicates theirs For love, fame, confidence, truth or to pass time
    and you know this isn\'t true
    for these actions come from the greatness you truly are
    and such words are not as great as you
    free yourself...from yourself
  • This show kept my attention.

I've watched all the episodes and I never get sick of it. The only thing I don't like about the show was the make up. The make up on the "Wurgel" family to make them look black did not make them look black in my honest opinion. In my opinion it made them look like burn victims. Bruno looked Indian to me. Renee was the only one who didn't pull off white in my opinion while her husband and son did. I believed that everything Renee and Brian Sparks said were true about racism and that they were justified in whatever they said on the show. They definitely kept me watching the show.
  • Insightful. An interesting social experiment.

I think the idea for this show has been on everyone's mind for a long time, but no one really realized just how much it really had to offer. White people think racial issues are predominately over. This show proves that it is not and there is still a lot of work we have to do, starting with educating ourselves. However, the black community has some tension issues with the white community that we also need to resolve. Again, education is the key. Many psychologists say misunderstanding is the root of most conflict. I think the importance of this show is helping people realize that there are still a lot of tension issues between black and white people. By having these people walk a mile in the other person's shoes can show what other people see and how things may be offensive or misinterpreted. My only problem with the show is that I don't think the white family is so typical. Sometimes they seem wierd or over the top. Maybe the producers knew this family was going to be controversial and would make the show more dramatic.
  • Black. White. Was revolutionary. They truely need another season.

I think Black White really needs another season to add. They need to get new familys though cause the dad on the white family was to racist to begin with. They need to pick basic familys for the second season. But I thought the first season was great with the stuff they had to go threw. I think they could have do better with the make-up though. The father on the Black family was too noticible. I also thought his son was too. I don't think I have ever seen a white peson that looks like that. But they probably could do alot better with a second season. But I really support this show and I think it si great that Ice cube got into it. I think his theme song is awesome in that show. I always liked watching the comercials because fo his song.
  • This show is a riot waiting to happen.

I don't why the producers thought this will be entertaining. A lot of people are a little angry over this show and the attitudes of the some of the family members. I myself saw the show one time. That's all it took for me. They were talking about how the neighborhood is predominantly Caucasian, and they wanted to keep it that way.
    I have to admit, when I saw the commercials about it, I said I have to see that, but I'm not interested anymore. I know we already have a lot of racial tension going on, but they put it on national television.
    We could have done without this show.
  • Black. White was a great show over all & I look forward to seeing another version soon.

First, let me say I'm an African American man, 43 years of age. And, Yes, I saw ever episode of Black. White. I sat in disbelief of Bruno every time but I do know people just like him. However, he was not the reason I didn't view this show a "10". The one thing the show lacked was follow up. I believe there should've been more of the testing going on. The couples should've been allowed to go places & experience things in black & white alter egos. Like when Brian got the job in the bar, why didn't he apply for the job in his own face as well? When Bruno went car shopping, why didn't he go as himself then. Same thing when the women went shopping. Those types of test would've opened Bruno's eyes to the truth in the end, I believe.

As I said earlier, I liked the show a lot, over all. However, I think it could’ve been much better. I’m all for anything that can bridge any & all gaps between people.

Tony J.
    “Hard Rock”
  • This is a great show. I love it. I love this show very much it deals with today's racial issues.

This is a great show.

I love it.

I love this show very much it deals with today's racial issues.

I can't stand carmen she is too lets make the world a better place.

Why can't she just sit down?

She needs to learn to shut her mouth.

Especially when no one asked her to say anything like when she said beautiful black creatures.

Dont ever go there.
  • The whole show was a white bashing show.

4.4
    Renee would NOT come to terms with her own racism. And let's talk about the word "racism", those black people took "stereotypes" for "racism". I LOVED Bruno, he was asking the musician all the things I'd like to know, about all the companies that some black people think money should get paid to them, geez do they realize what would happen? And the musician couldn't answer the questions so he got mad and called the statements racist! No they weren't they were stereotypes. I did also love the ex gang member how he was saying normal people love/like the police while their son was saying he didn't like them, and also TRYING to parent him as well, which was annoying to watch his parents try to push their ideas on him. I think my daughters generation are going to be the ones to really put an "end" to all this racism crap because they don't seem to care too much about words and what other people look like. There just words, white people can't say the "N" word, but black people, comedians in general, can call white people "cracker ass crackers". Wow, nice. I also found it interesting how Renee only found "old" people activities to do. I'm sorry I do NOT go to bible study, crochet, OR scrapbooking. Come on who in their mid30's-40's does that? (if you do don't mean to offend) But it was impressive how she found a white friend,,well holy @#$&, white people are not like the ones they lived with! It was just an irritating disappointing show and I'd LOVE to get a chat with Ice Cube about this show and ask him "What in the hell were you thinking?" Oh yea on one positive note, the white family, Brian and Nicolas' make-up job was FANTASTIC, but on Renee, I'm sorry she still looked black, no white woman has big lips and talks the way she did.
  • Was very excited about the concept, then I met the families. Were there no other black people to pick from? How ignorant.They need to concentrate on their "lazy wannabe someone but not making any effort" son.Bruno, good heart, head stuck in sand. Carmen,

7.2
    I am a black woman, and forget the fact Carmen could not identify with Rene, neither could I! WHat a load of bull from Rene. Friends white or Black do sometimes call each other *B* word.In a non threatening way.Carmen is trying.Rene should be helping her not picking on her. Brian, oh please! Yes there is racsim, but NOT around every corner. You waste too much time looking for something and in the mean time your sloth of a son gets kicked out and is a wannabe Thug. Concentrate on him. I wish i had a longer word count lol.
  • This show needs more refining. A therapist was needed after the first episode and should have had an outside imput throughout the show.

6.1
    The black family in my opinion did not represent the black people very well. They were closed minded. Brian was looking for racism in events when there were none. Rene was the most unhelpful in showing Carmen the black lifestyle. I am sure when she was called a *Bitch* she should have explained that it is done just as *nigga* is used among blacks as a term of endearment, its just that She,Rene does not use it in that way. Nick, just didn't have a clue.Rose truly kept it real.Bruno needs help.CArmen needs to take her heart off her shoulders.
  • Great show! I love watching and discussing it.

I hope they bring the cast back for a post show update. I think the project should be continuious. I wonder how Roses experiences in college will be colored by this experience. I wonder what decisions Nick will make after being a part of this experiment? I wish them all the best of luck.
  • What's the deal?

7.4
    I’m sure if either Family has a clue what the other one is all about. Both Families seem to be very well to do, by the looks of their Homes. Hopefully next season they will pick a couple of average families to experience what the show is really about. Bruno is kind of lost in space; He seems to be looking for some kind of conflict. And it does seem to me that Bruno is a racist. The only thing I agree with Bruno about is reimbursement to the African American descendants of Salves. Brian hasn’t taken into account that we would have to reimburse the holocaust victims and their descendants. If this was perfect world slavery and the Holocaust would never have happened. I haven’t quite figure Rose out, She seems to be a little bit of a phony.
  • The show does not attempt to show that racism goes both ways. How come they dont take the white people in the hood. They do take the black family into Beverly Hills dont they.

I come from the suburbs of Minneapolis. I went to a diverse high school and always had fun. I myself am white but have friends of all races. I will admit that most of my friends are white, but that is just the way it happened. However, I think the show needs alot of work. Racism does exist, but it also goes both ways and the show does not even attempt to show it. You go into Beverly Hills as a black man, your gonna run into some not so nice people. But how come they never take the white folk into the hood. There are certain places downtown that i wont go to because of the color of my skin. I also wish the show would get a better cast. I aint gonna lie, Bruno and the wife are messed up in the head.
  • It's ok!

With America's everyday struggles on race, a show on FX Black.White. was suppose to really show how America and how many of us Americas act towards race. Race is a very touchy subject to speak about in this day in age, but of course we all know it's still here. Unfornately, I feel B/W has not hit that level where both sides has felt the side of racism. Yes, putting on black makeup and white makeup will give you more of an undercover insight of what happens within both races, but it's more to it. I don't know if the show will be back for a second season, but if it does it clearly needs more improvement in show it's social situations.
  • Are these people for real?

I think this show was a great idea, but I agree with another review I read saying it wasn\'t good to use people in upper-class society. I think you just aren\'t going to see the real in the society they are showing. I think that the Sparks family is so concerned about their point of view and how people perceive blacks that they fail to understand the Wurgel\'s point of view nor to they see how hard the white family is trying to go into their culture to experience it and understand it. I just see the Sparks family (well, really just the parents) ragging on the Wurgel\'s family. They seem to pick on everything. All Renee can talk about is her dislike of Carmen that I don\'t really think she is in this to understand what it is like to be \"white\". That is totally one-sided. Now I do agree with the Sparks family that black people sometimes receive unjust scrutiny from other races (not only whites), but I also agree with Bruno that a lot of it is all in their heads. You go into a place expecting to be perceived a certain way, you are going to go away feeling like you were. I think they need to go into places with a positive attitude and expect to be treated like everyone else and they will go away feeling good about their experience. Quit throwing that \"race card\" in on everything. Maybe sometimes they get treated a certain way because of their attitude...just like everyone else! I give a rating of 8 because I think the producers have thought up a great show but it needs some fine tuning!
  • Why are the families not clicking? Why not put people together from different races who have more in common with each other?

1.9
    I watched this show and I have realized that this show makes it seem like ALL black people act the same. All Black people are not ignorant and unlearned. You have this in every race! All white caucasian people are not intelligent. We have intellegent people in every race as well!

This show is terribly stereotyping Black people as well as White people. It is a lie!

There are Black and White people who can click. Of course there are differences. This is what makes the world so wonderful. Yet, there are also similarities that would enable them to get along well.

All Black people do NOT listen to rap, curse,drink or smoke. I know Black opera singers. Black people who love country music and are so versatile that they love rap and country and opera music.

Our church has a mixture of Black, White, Asian, Hispanic, African, Jamaican, etc. and we finding that many of us have many similarities.

Just like the two young girls who are Black and White, on the show, Michelle and Alison are so much alike, there are others.

My mother\'s best friend for many many years before she past, was white and we loved her like a second mother. We knew she loved us!

I believe it is truly an issue where people need to be honest with themselves and stop judging people the wrong way and stereotyping people. People are just people. We are all human. God created us all and He purposely made us different, not to hate each other or to judge each other, look down on each other, but to appreciate and celebrate each other\'s differences because if we all were the same, it would be a pretty boring world!
  • This show could have been so much had the cast been more real.

The white guy has carried an american express to long or wants to prove he is not a raciest. Everytime I see him I feel like a fool, he has no clue. I would look for people more down to earth and you may have something. Then I might belive it and may hold my attention....
  • this show shows how racist black people are and how stupid and nieve white people are this show needs show new white people

5.3
    this show has so much potential but the fact of the matter is that black people are the most racist humans in the world if u put me on the show i will make the rateings come on ice cube put me on the show dawg i am not a racist but the show is makeing me one the black guy on the show is a fucking idiot he complains about the stupidish shit he is a fool and it is funny how they pick the stupidest white family i mean brunos smart but wife and daughter and dumb bitches put my family on and we will kill the rateings
  • Not as good as I expected, but still worth watching.

I think this show was well-intentioned. I really do. I had high expectations for it. But watching it, I sometimes wonder what alternate universe it takes place in. Half the time, I can't tell if Bruno (...if you haven't seen the show, here's a fun game...)is in make up or not. He could be a light-skinned black or a dark-skinned Italian (Don' worry....once he opens his mouth you can tell.) They (whoever's responsible for these decisions) picked one of the whitest black guys I've ever seen to represent black people? The black mother, Renee, gets upset at because her son didn't didn't take offense that his white friends use the "N" word, but in the very same episode she watches a video with her son that is so racist it borders on comical, and never bats an eye. What?! Maybe it doesn't matter anyway, because the son's an idiot. Round it all out with two well-meaning, emotional, and sometimes clueless more cast members and you have a show that would have Dr. Who wondering what dimension he landed in.

However, for all it's quirks, I still like this show. I still Tivo it every week. I like that it's trying to honestly tackle a topic that's been brushed into closets by television for too long. I like that it's truely attempting to educate both sides about the other's culture. I like that it wants to get behind closed doors to find out what people really think. I just think the show could have been more if it had a more well-thought out cast. Just because people share a family together, doesn't mean that all the members are right for a show.

BRIAN - A good husband and father but a little aloof. Or clueless to the point of apathy. Either way, whenver you think he's going to get riled, he either 1) Walks away in equal parts disgust and shock, or 2) Cowtows to his wife's opinions. Which brings me to...

RENE - In one episode, she gets really upset because she's unknowingly called a b**ch. Well folks, she is. I'm not going to run down a list of characteristics, but any of them that you can come up with, she displays a number of them. Whenever you see her onscreen, just remember Ice Cube's classic line..."If you could call that b**ch a b**ch, you would. And if you can't, you probably should."

NICK - The Sparks are fooling themselves when it comes to their son (...as most parents do). This kid is on the fast track to becoming "The Guy On The Couch" in the movie "Half-Baked". His one saving grace is that a result of his not thinking about anything, he doesn't see the world in racial terms.

BRUNO - This arrogant, self-important, self-righteous bigot is actually the gem of the show, much in the way Cartman is to South Park. He's the one you tune in to see every week if only to see what offensive comment he's going to make next. Even though whenever you see him he's trying to validate his own beliefs (most of the time, on topics he's clueless about), one thing that can definitely be said is that he keeps viewers coming back.

CARMEN - She truly captures the essence of someone trying to understand something beyond her grasp. I think she's well-meaning, heartfelt, and genuine but in the end I don't think 6 weeks will be long enough for her to reach the kind of understanding she wants. She also has a knack for saying the stupidest things at the most inopportune moments.

ROSE - Of the whole cast, she is the most precocious and inquisitive member. However, like her mother, I think she will ultimately be disappointed by what she discovers and how much she understands.

In closing, this show is fun to watch. I'm obviously hooked, but I doubt anyone will gain any new insights from watching it. This show could have been used as a huge tool for teaching and learning while entertaining. But teaching and learning are realms of where open conflict is needed and these people shy away from it. Yes, they are good people, but good people doesn't exactly make for good television. Hopefully, if this show comes back next year, it will have a more lively cast. All in all, I'd give this show a C. A C+ if I'm considering Bruno's video from Episode 4 (...you've got to see it to believe it!)
  • This show is bias in its self. It seems as though they concentrate on how whites are so racist towards blacks and not focusing on racism as a whole.

The show could have been an informative insightive show however they picked two totally wrong families to do this they should have picked two families that did not have such a strong opinion either way and were more opened minded. Instead they got a black family who is dead set on proving that white people are racist (with the exception of the son). And a white family that is dead set on pitying blacks in general (with the exception of the dad who fails to see racism occur any where). okay so that’s where it starts to go wrong in the first place secondly it seems to me that the show\'s focus is on racism against black and not racism in a whole. example they send the white family made up black into a honkey tonk bar and say oh yeah they didn’t want us there they stared. racism!! okay fine but then why not send the black family dressed up white into a black club see if the same thing doesn’t happen then. but no they send them to a park not even both white but one white one black then when the white women says she felt racism and uncomfortable they make it a point to say well this is what black people feel with everyday. therefore bringing back to poor blacks when in all reality there is racism but it comes from both sides and not every white or black person is racist. I personally have some black friends who I see as my friend period however black people who are constantly hollering racism and using the race card all the time I tend to resent and as long as people continue claiming this happened because I am black there will always be an issue.

• The idea on paper looks good but it does not deal with race in a clear way. They do not take into account the role income also has on families in America.

This show had the chance to be more than what it is. The families are disappointing and all are up to the challenge. An example of this is the teenage son, Nick Sparks . He seem indifferent to the change and dealing with the issues. He has many personal problems which should have been dealt with before him and his family were signed up to take part in the show.

Bruno seems to be blind to what is going on around him and unwilling or unable to open his eyes and denies everything while his wife Carmen is overly sensitive. Only Rose the daughter seems to 'get it'.
    Meanwhile the Renee is pushy and mean to Carmen and her husband is trying to understand and enjoy the challenge but is side tracked by his son.

The makeup for Rose is the only one that looks good. I found Carmen to be the worst and Bruno looks like a he just smeared shoe polish over his face. It just does not work for him. Better luck next time Ice Cube.
  • Why haven\\\'t the Sparks\\\' gone into a predominently black atmosphere in white skin? Is the show afraid to reveal that side of the coin?? Are white people treated differently in the black community? I would like to see...

4.5
    There are areas in this country without a doubt that is not meant for either race to venture into. I live in Chicago and there are neighborhoods that are mostly made up of black people. Let me tell you a short story. About 12 years ago I was with some friends driving home from the city and we got a flat tire right in front of Malcolm X College. We couldn\\\'t find the lug nut wrench to take the wheel off so we walked to the nearest place to call for some help. We walked into a fast food restaurant and we were the only white people. Every single head turned towards us. They stared at us like we were aliens and made us feel very uncomfortable. I went to make my phone call all the while the place got quiet as everyone listened to my conversation. As we turned to leave, the cashier boy ran up to me and said, \\\"I wouldn\\\'t be here if I were you, these people will mess you up!\\\" I have to admit that I was very uncomfortable in that surrounding but when he said that I became frightened. Obviously nothing happened to us but we did have some people follow us and watch us from a far. I think they thought it was funny how scared we were to be there. I felt racism that day 12 years ago but it didn\\\'t change my perspective on black people. I know I didn\\\'t endure years of racism like black people did and I can understsand the anger and hostility as a result. I only received a taste of what black people might struggle with. My only objective is that it is not this way everywhere. I see black people in areas of mostly white and nobody stares at them or makes rude gestures to them. In fact they appear to be comfortable in the surrounding.....I don\\\'t think you can say the same about a white person in a mostly black area. This show needs to reveal both sides to racism. It exists amongst both races.
  • I quite like it but it could use a bit more scripting..the concept is good yet still way off. I must agree from my experiences...ALOT of black people think just like Brian and ALOT of whites just like bruno. I would have to say that Renee is the worst.

7.1
    I must admit that Renee is completly insane. She overflows the sterwotype that is given to black women. She takes everything out of proportion as if it was ment to be something tha the other person has no idea of thinking of. The pupose of Renee in the show is to influence, teach and learn herself. She has said in the first show that there was nothing she needed to learn because she has already been taught how to deal with white people..but in reality she is the less convincing switch in the whole show.. she doenst look white, she doesnt sound white and her "trying to act white is so horrible. She answers questions the way she see that white people would like thing or does things and really has no clue...I really hate the way the show portrays things in a waythat ..this is how black people do it..or this is how white people do it. ie. eggs shells in the container ( I do that myself ..gross I know!)
    In my opinion renee does this wayy to much as her comments to the egss were (Looke what they do!) I know that there must be a sort of eliment saying this is how whites do things or blacks do things as that is what the show is about but Renee takes it to a deaper level. She really needs to chill out and maybe focus more on learning as well as her son who is really out of touch with the project. If she feels that Carmen is stupid and has no idea how to speak to people..then help her learn. Carmen is open and willing to do what it takes..Renee isnt.
    (mind you this comment is comming form a another black woman also named renee) Ironic isnt it
  • Black.white is a show with Black family & white family trying to experience each others lives.

6.1
    This show could be a lot better. I think the show needs to hit the all american road. There are too many basicly liberal people in Los Angeles. I am living in San Francisco for a few years now and I am African American. I grew up in Miami, but spent many years travelling & living in the south.
    That's where this experiment will have more impact on the participants. Let them go to the confederate war clubs and meetings. Let them go to areas where there are few black professionals.
    There are major pockets of America where there will be no doubt that it is difficult to get the same respect for a person of color as is afforded to whites. I love CA but when I hear blacks talk about racism I think, you should go to GA, AlL, MS or LA. The difference is to be able to know that in spite of your education, experience or ambition there are places where your opportunity to succeed will be affected by the color of your skin. Sad, but still true in some parts of the USA.
  • all this show is proving is that no matter what is said or what people do people can\'t let go of the past even when it\'s been years.

3.7
    i am a white male, i have an uncle straight from mexico and a black uncle with many cousins i have never been predjudice against any one in my whole life. i\'ve never stereotyped any race or anything. now at the age of 31 i live in california with my family and i have seen that just because i am white i am automatically a racist in the eyes of every race other than my own. this show proves that point. no matter what the white family does or says or how they act the black family has it set in their heads that they are racist or have racist intent. i think the reson why people BECOME racist is because it is pushed on to them by the other races. if blacks could just let past actions to their ancestors go and stop forcing the isue on current life other races would stop looking down on them so much. i didn\'t beet your grandpa i didn\'t force him to work the fields don\'t take your anger out on me. i just want to get along and live my life and raise my children. if you want to call me a racist and look down on me for being white then you need to do some soul checking in the mirror. the pot calling the kettle black (no pun intended).
< 1 2