TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Blackadder Forums

BBC (ended 1989)

Can I Pick It Up Anywhere?

LincolnBurrows

[1]Aug 28, 2006
    • level: 7
    I'm a fan of two of the actors in this show, but it only airs here on BBCAmerica and I'm too cheap to buy it on DVD.   A couple episodes were aired recently and I DVR'ed them.    They're the first episodes from the fourth season, I believe.  If I watch them, having never seen this show before, am I going to be lost?   I mean, is it more like a sitcom/comedy in the sense that I can just start watching anywhere and laugh, or does it have more of an on-going plot where I have to have seen it from episode one?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

zhangliao1

[2]Aug 30, 2006
    • level: 6
    just buy it

anyway just pick it up you may not understand everything if you havent seen the first ep but you will figure it out

raging_monkey

[3]Aug 30, 2006
    • level: 9

no you won't be confused because it doesn't carry on from the others. none of them actually carry on but their names are the same and the same actors play them but they are not meant to be the same person i think they are meant to be like their sons or something but i don't know. Hope i could help you.

zhangliao1

[4]Sep 21, 2006
    • level: 6
    well relatives

ferdiaob

[5]Jan 28, 2007
    • level: 11
    Torrent it dude.

UndeniablyNikki

[6]Feb 20, 2007
    • level: 5
    I downloaded 2 of the series from a torrent. A couple of video stores near me carry some of the series on DVD, and I think Netflix has all of Blackadder on DVD. As far as being confused, there's no overall plot that spans each particular series or throughout all of the Blackadders. Each episode has its individual story that's never really referenced in future episodes.

All you really have to know about the Blackadder show is that each series takes place in a certain era of British history. Each Blackadder character is apparently an ancestor of the one that came in the series before. I think you should worry more about understanding the humor and context.

FeldmanSkitzoid

[7]Jul 16, 2007
    • level: 10

Netflix definitely has it, and it's also available on the internet.

Like everyone else said, there's no continuity whatsoever, so it doesn't really matter what order you watch them in. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the first season (if 6 episodes can really be called a "season"), and I doubt you'd regret skipping it.

CSIGirl2

[8]Aug 28, 2007
    • level: 8

When I borrowed the series from one of my friends, i watched it backwards from series 4 to series 1. They don't carry on from each other.

randy_roes

[9]Sep 2, 2007

The only true continuity in Blackadder is that you have Blackadder and Baldrick.

But there is some sort of other continuity: with erery series Blackadder has a lower rank (prince, lord, butler, captain) and every time he's more bitter and more intelligent.

Baldrick pretty much stays te same in rank (lowest of the lowest) but he does get dumber.

kieran3486

[10]Jan 2, 2008
    You can watch any episode of any series of blackadder and you won't be lost, because each episode has its own contained story. If you do manage to save up some money than I would order some dvds of it on the net as it doesn't often show in england (its showing at the moment on UK Gold though) But you should be able to get it on ebay or something for a reasonable price if you're prepared to pay, thats probably the only way you'll be able to see them all. I would recomend it deffinately though, as its one of the best sitcoms to ever come out of the U.K

Hoeech

[11]Jul 8, 2008
    • level: 66
    randy_roes wrote:

The only true continuity in Blackadder is that you have Blackadder and Baldrick.

But there is some sort of other continuity: with erery series Blackadder has a lower rank (prince, lord, butler, captain) and every time he's more bitter and more intelligent.

Baldrick pretty much stays te same in rank (lowest of the lowest) but he does get dumber.

Well said! In each generation of the show, Rowan Atkinson and Tony Robinson play the descendants of the previous show's characters. You certainly do NOT have to watch all of the seasons in order, but it would be preferable if you can manage it.