Blackadder

Major Star

Aired Wednesday 9:30 PM Oct 12, 1989 on BBC

• I love the hilarious characterisation

Melchett's inability to distinguish males from females serves as the catalyst for much of the humour in the episode. One of the funniest scene's in the shows history takes place here between Melchett and Darling. Discussing his date with Georgina we finally get to see the whole 'darling' thing being put into practise. 'I know exactly what ill say to her(Goergina)Darling..' Darling thinks he's refering to him and responds 'Yes Sir'. The rest is hilarious, just watch it.
    I love George here, dressing up as a girl and then accepting Melchett's marriage proposal 'I didn't think i could refuse, after all he is a general he might have had me court marshalled'
    'Oh no but he's going to award you the Victoria Cross when he lifts your frock up on the wedding night'. HILARIOUS
    I love it when Blackadder gets angry
    Great Episode.
  • This type of laughing burns calories, makes your sides ache, and prompts an immediate rewind so you can watch it again!

This is one of my favorite Blackadder episodes.

The gang puts on a show, complete with George (Hugh Laurie) in wonderfully ridiculous drag, Baldrick (Tony Robinson) as Charlie Chaplin, complete with a dead slug for a moustache, and guest star Gabrielle Glaister as Private "Bob" Parkhurst. The twist comes when General Melchett (Stephen Fry) believes that George, while in drag, is in fact his onstage persona "Gorgeous Georgina". The General woos "Georgina", and in fear of being court marshaled, "she" accepts an invitation that leads to absolute catastrophic hilarity. Rowan Atkinson is at his best. Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie compliment each other perfectly, as usual. And as usual bumbling Baldrick is wonderfully silly, trying to help with his "cunning plan!"