Blackadder

Goodbyeee

Aired Wednesday 9:30 PM Nov 02, 1989 on BBC

• One of the greatest episodes ever!

"Plan F: Goodbyeee"

Grade: A*

One of the darkest, best written, and funniest episodes of any show ever. Goodbyee was a perfect example of a British Comedy tackling both humour and very serious moments at the same time. As we see Blackadder and the rest of the squad head up for "the big push", we realise that this is more than a Comedy show, it's reality of what happened back in the First World War. As our heroes go over the top, firing happens and certain death is for sure, but just as it ends we see a field of poppies, realising what the soldiers did for us and our freedom.

Goodbyeee not only relies on a powerful ending, but the episode is quite possibly the funniest of all the Blackadders. Blackadder pretending to be mad was awesome, and Baldrick singing the "Boom! Boom! Boom" song was fantastic, as well as the Hot Mud drink being milked by Spit. As the episode goes on though, the tone gets darker and less funny as expected, due to us viewers knowing how it's all going to end, but it's done so brilliantly. By far the best episode of this series!
  • Better than any textbook

The final episode of this show pays homage to the sacrifices made by the soldiers during the bloodbath that was World War I.
    Tony Robinson turns Baldrick into a memorable character with a stunnig performance in this episode
    Baldrick: (about the war) I heard it started when some guy called Archey duke shot an ostrich cause he was hungry.
    And his war poem
    'Boom boom boom boom, boom boom boom boom, boom'
    Famous stuff
    Blackadder fears death more than anything and does everything to get our the war, however all his efforts fail. 'Who would notice another mad man around here' Powerful line. Jutxtaposed by Melchett's line about Blackadder
    'Why he's as sane as I am,, bahhh!!' I love Melchett
    The final minute is one of the most poignant moments from one of the most silly and emotionally void shows off all time. I couldn't believe the way it ended, it was heartfelt but painful.
    A better representation of the war than any text book or documentary could ever create
  • Heart-breaking

This is the end of it all. The big push has finally come and the battle is to be held at dawn. The characters recall the beginning of the war, how they joined the army and how all their friends have died.

What I love about this episode is that it handles the subject delicately. The beginning contains funny one-liners and silly acts, but as we approach towards the end, the laughter fizzles out and the ending is superb and spot-on. One has to mention the character development, especially in the case of Darling: I believe everyone was moved by his actions and words. Blackadder has always been against the war, but Baldrick and George also change their attitudes: they start out as eager soldiers but as the time comes, they are afraid of death.

This episode is a remarkable moment in TV history: it shows us the pointlessness of the war more clearly than any history teacher or any book could.
  • A memorial to those lost

To see a programme which takes a subject,which should be handeled with lots of caution, make such an episode including comical jokes, is just amazing.
    As an avid Blackadder fan since childhood, this by far is the best.
    The ending was so emotional, a real tear jearker, a episode which minutes before the end you gain a lump in your throat because you know what is going to happen.
    However, hardly anybody expected the ground which all the characters dead bodies were, to suddenly turn into a field full of red poppies spread across into the distance.
    Overall - This is a fantastic episode, it would be very difficult to compete for such a honorable episode.
  • some of the best quotes and the best scenes in british comedy. Includes a big tear jerker at the end.

So this is it. The final PROPER blackadder episode. the british army has advanced no further than an asmatic ant with heavy shopping and Melchard has ordered Edmunds men over the top. But Blackadder will not go without a final attempt to leave the frontlines. The major plan includes a pair of pants and two pencils and the word "wooble" the best blackadder episode of the lot with a very serious and powerfull ending fading to a field of poppys. I genuinly cried first time I saw that sequence.
  • one of the best dark-comedies out there

this episode is one of the saddest ones in the entire season. we see what could possibly be the end of the blackadder family (excluding the specials). any person who can claim that in the final moments did not feel themselves well up as they went over the edge either does not understand what the series is about or has no soul. the episode, although having a deeper meaning, found a way to keep its comedic side throughout all the darker sides. maybe not the best episodes but by far the best ending.
  • The last episode...

This episode is a really great example of British comedy. There are plenty of brilliant jokes all through the episode with Baldrick's poems being up there at the top of them but then at the end when the gang go over the top, and the field of poppies fade in, there is an uncertainty as to whether they made it or now, which is really sad. This was a great end to an even better show. They are making a new Blackadder series pretty soon and I hope that they can get it as good as the last season as it rules!
  • Just brilliant

What a great way to end the series, guns blazing and more jokes than you can shake a stick at, Baldrick's poems are just genious.

Baldrick: BOOM BOOM BOOM...
    BOOM BOOM BOOM...
    BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM-
    Blackadder: Boom boom boom?
    Baldrick: How did you know sir?
    Blackadder: Well just a wild stab in the dark.
    George: That's damned creepy sir. Amazing!
    Blackadder: Well, I think I've gotta get out of here!