Blackadder

BBC (ended 1989)

TheOldBill

Blackadder Fan Reviews (44)

• A Comical Villain

Blackadder was a popular comedy series produced by BBC which featured Rowan Atkinson as the nefarious miscreant known throughout the series as Edmund Blackadder, who through various periods of history he tries to make something of himself through devious means.

With his aide-de-camp Baldrick (Tony Robinson), he gets into all sorts of scrapes in which he sometimes comes up on top, only briefly.

He manages to survive the medieval era, the Elizibethan age, the reign of King George III & finally World War I.

Although this comedy show is not for everyone due to its covert gross-out & sexual humor, it is by far the funniest British comedy show this side of Monty Python.
  • Throughout its four seasons and various specials The story of the Black Adder remains as one of the top(if not the best)British comedies ever written. The performances by all the actors are just superb.

Really, if you have never seen it don't think twice and go and buy it, rent it, download it, steal it or whateverelse you need to do to get your hands on it!

Since I have nothing to add to the above I leave you here with a few quotes:

Baldrick: Well, Mr Blackadder always says, when the going gets tough, the tough hide under the table. Blackadder: I'm as poor as a church mouse, that's just had an enormous tax bill on the very day his wife ran off with another mouse, taking all the cheese. Edmund: Never had anything you doctors didn't try to cure with leeches. A leech on my ear for ear ache, a leech on my bottom for constipation.
    Doctor: They're marvellous, aren't they?
    Edmund: Well, the bottom one wasn't. I just sat there and squashed it.
  • Possibly the greatest British comedy of all time!

Blackadder is my favorite British comedy and one of the most brilliant shows ever. Rowan Atkinson is just hilarious in his role of Edmund Blackadder and the rest of the cast is awesome too. The show fallows him through 4 periods of British history never failing to bring endless amusement to us, viewers. From Middle Age and the adventures of King Richard IV to World War I and the ever funny Captain Darling, the series gets better and better with each episode. My personal favorite part of the series is part 2, where we can see Miranda Richardson in a role of Queen Elizabeth I.
  • Fantastic British comedy.

This program is hilarious and great slapstick comedy. A brilliant cast and acting.Rowan Atkinson is the best character in the show and it is his performance ever. Baldrick is Blackadder's sidekick they come up with plans. Baldrick gets more stupid as the series goes on. I love the relationship between Blackadder and Baldrick as Blackadder beats the hell out of Baldrick verbally and physically which I find really funny.

It is a great tv series, which you can learn about history in a comical way. Each episode is set in a different period of time. There are 4 series and 4 special episodes.
  • A real evergreen classic, that showcases British comedy at its best!

A true showcase of British humor at its best! Rowan Atkinson has never been funnier, and of course, the best tv duet of all times, Hugh and Laurie, are also there to make sure your facial muscles will be well exercised!

The show is based on different periods in British history, from times of King Richard III up till the WWII, which are outstandingly parodied by the main characters. Rowan Atkinson always plays a person named Edmund Blackadder, who is, of course, unknown to history teachers, but actually is the reason for all the turmoils in the history of Britain. Amazing actors, great jokes, a show you will never forget! My Shakespeare class university teacher brought it in class for us to watch, to show how it parodies the original Shakespearean dialogue! It was voted 2nd best British sitcom of all times, according to Wikipedia.
  • Can't get much funnier than this!

The second funniest British comedy, at least in my opinion, after Black Books, Black Adder is hilarious and original, and certainly Rowan Atkinson's funniest role by far.

The fact that only 24 episodes over 4 seasons were made leaves Black Adder with a lot to be expected, and while it is quite dated by now, it was to begin with in the first place, given the times the various Black Adders (or vegetables) are set in.

Whenever Baldrick comes up with a "cunning plan" or finds a new way to earn valuable turnips, it's bound to be a hilarious scene, and satires from any century or situation are sidesplittingly performed in Black Adder, the definition of classic British comedy.
  • I have a cunning plan.....

This show is just bloody fantastic, funny, it's an oldie but you have to put it on your Must Watch list !!
    Finally a show where Rowan Atkinson talks and he does it really well ! he's in each season which are a different part of english history a character you either love to hate or hate to love !!
    and for the americans, look at the prince regent, it's docteur House !!! completely stupid prince regent, so well acted by Hugh Laurie !
    the Queen is hilarious !
    and don't forget Baldrick with his cunning plans which of course only quicken the end of his master Black Adder !!
    Watch it till the end, it's a great view of english history !
  • There is always a Blackadder in History and our glimpses of Edmund Blackadder are hysterical.

The best comedy ever. This show is baudy, witty, at times slapstick and just thoroughly enjoyable to watch. It helps if you know a little about British History, but that is not necissary to get most of the jokes.

Rowan Atkinson is Edmund Blackadder and he and the writers really got it write starting in series II. Edmund is witty, clever and in top form from there on. Hugh Laurie and Miranda Richardson are great in their roles as monarchs or regents of England. Both are a little daft, but Queenie also has an edge threatening to cut peoples heads off when she is really displeased with them. And of course Tim McInnerny, Tony Robinson, and Stephen Fry as sidekicks and/or rivals of Edmund. Great cast, great writing, and great overall show.
  • Bloody Fantastic!!

Rowan Atkinson was a genius! Ok I admit the first season wasnt the best but it did get better from there. The writing was wonderful, very subtle in some cases but also very crass in others. Who can forget Baldrick, Prince Regent, Captain Darling?? All brilliant characters. I still cant get used to Hugh Laurie doing an American accent. It really should be brought back again, even if it is just maybe one episode a year or even for Comic Relief. It brought so much happiness to so many people that it shouldn't just be swept aside. Really this probably paved the way for many comedians doing television, especially Little Britain, which I love too!
    Probably the most moving scene ever on British television is the final episode of Blackadder Goes Fourth. The final scene where they are about to go over the wall and the screen fades to a poppy field. Nobody who has seen that can ever forget it.
  • Blackadder and Fawlty Towers are the two funniest and most clever shows to ever come out of Britain.

Although I really didn't care for the first season (I really didn't, It just lacks the comic genius that next three mastered perfectly). Seasons 2,3, and 4 are just amazingly clever. British comedy is so great, it makes American comedy look like Baldrick. The show was obviously made on a low-budget, but that is another thing that makes it so funny. I might as well rate this show a 10, because to me its perfect, and is the only thing I can think of that deserves this rating, and also it is the best show I know (and will know), but i cant deny or forget the first season, it will always be there, so a 10 rating will not be possible. I try to rate and review a series as a whole, but I bent the rules in the Ren and Stimpy review so why not do it again, I'll give this a 10, remember this is only (and I mean only) for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th seasons. Blackadder is a classic show, if only they had made more of this outstanding series.
  • Not bad choise!

The best of the lot. Very funny script, brilliant cast, superbly acted. I prefer Edmund as this type of meek, slimy character than in later series. Also Balders is better suited as intelligent than stupid, that character is already brilliantly done by Percy. Each episode has a uniquely funny story. The Archbishop one where Baldrick makes holy artifacts is extremely funny. Especially as Percy thinks he bought a real artifact only to discover that it's one of Baldricks.

He marries an 8 year old princess in another episode. Very original humour, and the little princess herself is extremely funny. The way she laughs at the Vicar is hilarious. Witchsmeller Persuivant, another great episode, possibly the best but its difficult to distinguish which is the best as they are all so good. Frank Finlay is so believable as the witch, his voice, expressions, the way he cross examines Edmund in court and entraps him. Pure genius.

The last one is fantastic. I love the way he finally gets revenge on his dad by forming an army of the 6 most evil men in England. All with uniquely evil attributes. I don't think 6 episodes is enough for this first series. There is so much comedy there to fill 12 episodes at least. Still the second and third series, although inferior did not disappoint. The fourth however did.

Will always remain as one of the great British classics.
  • Dig up on you British History and enjoy the spin Rowan Atkinson and co gave to the story of Blackadder... A guy who would never make it to be the ruler of the country. Wonder what cunning plan Baldrick will have and enjoy the puns every episode brings.

I wasn't such a fan of history class, but this exciting story of generations of Blackadders wanting to rule the UK, or at least have some grasp of power will make you laugh. Wether it's about the stupidity of Blackadder I, or the cunningness of all other Blackadders in history, and how they're dealing with dimwids as sidekicks, you will like it, if you like wordplay and a spin on how things would have been...
  • Hilarious

Blackadder is a brilliant, funny british comedy that anybody would struggle to dislike. The show follows the events of Edmund Blackadder, played by Rowan Atkinson, through the middle ages and even the first world war. Rowan Atkinson really shines as Blackadder and his quirky one-liners are brilliant. He may have seemed like a strange choice at first but he does a fantastic job as Blackadder, really making the show what it is. Without him the show would never have been the hit that it was. There is never a dull moment in blackadder with the character Baldrick also being hilarious.

To conclude I will say that Blackadder is one of my all time favourite TV shows and I cannot see how anybody would dislike it. If you have never seen it then buy the DVD's and get watching!!!
  • Blackadder tells the tale of Edmund Blackadder. A prince, al lord, a butler or a captain in the Brittish army, Blackadder has been it all. Constantly surrounded by morrons like Baldrick, George or Percy, he needs cunning plans to get what he wants.

In the role of Edmund Blackadder we have the comedic genious: Rowan Atkinson.
    He starts off as a studid prince who is more weasel than man.
    But as off the second series he becomes smart and sarcastic.
    He has to please Queen Elisabeth in wathever she wants from him, or lose his head.
    In series 3 he is a butler that uses his wit to persuade Prince George to do as he says.
    In series 4 he's a captain who wants to go home as fast as possible, because General Malchett constantly wants him to go "over the top", and become (most likely) a corpse.

Every consecutive series shows Blackadder in a lower social class, en with every declining class he becomes more intelligent, and his companions become dumber.

The best thing about Blackadder are off course his remarks towards the people in his surroundings (be it Percy, George, Baldrick or Darling).

The supporting cast consists of excelent Brittish actors, with great names like Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry.

Blackadder is something that one likes or hates, there is nog middle road. But it is a classic in the Brittish comedic shows.
  • A great show, featuring Rowan Atkinson as Edmund Blackadder, the weirdest tv-show lead ever... and the greatest! (Better and more fun than Mr.Bean)

The best of the lot. Very funny script, brilliant cast, superbly acted. I love Edmund as this type of meek, slimy, at first stupid-later smart character. Also Baldrick is one of the funnies bi-characters of all time, together with Percy (Whom dissapears in the third series, but comes back, as another character, in the last one)

In the first series, Edmund was portraied as a stupid and evil little man. Baldric was the smart one, and Percy was even stupider than Edmund.
    In the second, Edmund was smarter, Baldric was stupid, and Percy was.. well, even stupider.
    The third one followed the second, but Percy disappered, with a new stupid monach (Hugh Laurie) appearing instead.
    In the forth, Edmund was a leader, and Percy appeared again, but now as a smarter one, Cpt.Darling.
    So... you see, many changes... BUT...
    All in all, a great show!

Perfect 10 ;)
  • I have always been a fan of British TV comedy and this is one of my favorites.

I first saw Blackadder on the BBC (in the UK) in the late 1980's. I was hooked from the start. All episodes, throughout the 4 series, are without a doubt the most clever programs ever written for television.

The structure of the 4 original series is brilliant.

The main character is certainly not someone you would want to meet in real life, but sure is funny as a comedy character! The characters changed a bit after this first series, as Blackadder became more aggressive and less goofy, and Baldrick became stupider. For some people, that's a good thing, and for some not so much. Either way, if you're a fan of good British comedy, and you haven't seen The Black Adder, then I suggest you check it out as soon as you get the chance, same thing with the later ones!
  • It IS my favoraite show.

How do I put it. Right. Blackadder is based in four perods of british history (medievil,tudor,dont know the era series 3 is based in and world war 1)and stars Rowan Atkinson as Edmund blackadder and tony robinson as balderick. Writen by Ben Elton this comedy has some very witty lines. One of my faves:
    "Do you love your contry?"
    "Yes sir."
    "do you love your king?"
    "No sir."
    "And why not?"
    "My mother told me never to trust a man with a beard sir."
    "Ha, the charm of the native cockney wit." Then melchard smacks balderick in the face. Classic scene. It boils down to this. You MUST watch this series and enjoy it to say you enjoy comedy.
  • I was introduced to this show as a youngster. It still never stops to put a smile on my face.

This show really epitomizes British comedy: slapstick and intellectual at the same time. Rowan Atkinson and Tony Robinson are the perfect duo to get into trouble together. Their friendship is what makes the show so great...well, maybe not the friendship. Maybe its the way Rowan beats the hell out of Tony verbally and physically. Either way, Hugh Laurie's roles are absolutely hilarious as well. Overall, one of the best shows on television ever. I wish they would make more!!
  • I love this Series.

My favorite season is the third season; the one that takes place in King George time. My favorite episode from that season was sense and senility. I love that Blackadder says Macbeth a totall of 9 times.

Mossop: ...lest you continue in your quotations and mention the name of the "Scottish Play".
    Keanrick: Oh-ho... never fear, I shan't do that.
    Blackadder: By the "Scottish Play", I assume you mean Macbeth.
    Mossop and Keanrick: Aahhhhh. Hot potato, off his drawers, Puck will make amends. Aaahh.
    Blackadder: What was that?
    Keanrick: We were exorcising evil spirits. Being but a mere butler, you will not know the great theatre tradition that one does never speak the name of the "Scottish Play".
    Blackadder: What, Macbeth?
    Mossop and Keanrick: Aahhhhh. Hot potato, off his drawers, Puck will make amends. Ohhh.
    Blackadder: Good lord, you mean you have to do that every time I say Macbeth?
    Mossop and Keanrick: Aahhhhh. Hot potato, off his drawers, Puck will make amends. Owwww.
    Mossop: Will you please stop saying that. Always call it the "Scottish Play".
    Blackadder: So you want me to say the "Scottish Play"?
    Mossop and Keanrick: (shout) Yes.
    Blackadder: Rather than Macbeth?
    Mossop and Keanrick: Aahhhhh. Hot potato, off his drawers, Puck will make amends. Owwwwww.
    Prince George: For heaven's sake, what is all this hullabaloo, all this shouting and screaming and yelling blue murder? Why... it's like that play we saw the other day, what was it called... umm...
    Blackadder: Macbeth, sir?
    Prince George: No, no, it was called Julius Caesar.
    Blackadder: Ah, yes, of course. Julius Caesar... not Macbeth.

I also love the episodes in the 2nd and 4th sason well.

Blackadder: (talking into the phone) Captain Blackadder speaking? (pause) No I'm afraid the line is very heeeeeeeeeegh
    Darling: Hello? Hello captain Blackadder, Hello?
    Blackadder: (crumples newspaper into phone receiver. knocks phone 3 times on the table) Shne! Shne! Catoflecought!
    Darling: I say, there's a terrible line at my end. You're to advance on the enemy at once!
    (Blackadder blows a raspberry into the receiver, while Darling listens interested)
    Blackadder: (in a Mr. Bean voice) A wandering minstrels eye, i sing to pray… eeeeooouuuu… (in normal voice) Gold force aids? End mint.
    (Blackadder hangs up phone)
    Lt. George: So come on sir, what's the message? I'm on tender hooks, do tell!
    Blackadder: Well as far as I can tell, the message was: he's got a terrible lion up his end, so there's an advantage for an enema at once.

Melchett: What say you, Blackadder, I sing a song to keep our spirits up?
    Blackadder: That all depends wether you want the slop bucket over your head or not.
    Melchett: Well perhaps some pleasant word game?
    Blackadder: Yes, allright. Make a sentence out of the following words: Face, sodding, your, shut.
  • Hateful, deceptive, ruthless, and that's just his good side: Rowan Atkinson starts as the evil scion of a family that serves the English crown through several generations. One of the funniest shows ever made.

Edmund Blackadder just wants to help. Himself, that is: the little devil is constantly plotting to con others out of money, privilege and maybe life itself, as he aims for more power and loot in his role as an official in the English court. Assistant Baldrick is forced to help him out, and barely lives to tell the tale.

The show moved through four eras, from the Tudors up to World War I. Each time, the dastardly man tried to scheme his way out of mediocrity, and wound up nearly losing his own skin in the process. Great writing, laugh-out-loud funny and filled with devilish plot twists. My favorite season is the second one, but they're all worth it.

They say evil never wins. That won't stop him from trying.

Laden with big laughs and clever characters. A nearly perfect show. See it this instant.
  • A classic example of British Humour.

My favourite quote is from Blackadder 4 when Baldrick is sitting doing something and Blackadder comes in and asks what he's doing and then Baldrick explains "Well you know how they say out there is a bullet with your name on it, well I was just making sure that I own it" Classic.
    Other highlights of this series was the realtionship between Blackadder and Darling. Painful to watch but hilarious.
  • In all of the seasons, Edmund Blackadder is in command or chief of Baldric but Blackadder is always out witted by an idiot that commands him.

He is made to do the most stupid things, but still he does his duty but always tries to curb things his way. Rowan Atkinson plays Blackadder along with Tony Robinson as Baldrick and throughout the four seasons are 'The Black Adder' : Brian Blessed as King Richard IV of England, Robert East as Harry, Prince of Wales, Elspet Gray as The Queen and Tim McInnerny as Percy.(Also is uncredited Patrick Allen as the narrator) In Blackadder II : Tim McInnerny as Lord Percy Percy, Tony Robinson as Baldrick, Miranda Richardson as Queen Elizabeth I,Stephen Fry as Lord Melchett, Patsy Byrne as Nursie (Bernard) and uncredited Tony Aitken doing the end credits. In Black adder III is: Hugh Laurie as George, Prince of Wales, Prince Regent and Helen Atkinson-Wood as Mrs. Miggins, A Coffee-Shoppe Keeper. And finally, BlackAdder Goes Fourth : Rowan Atkinson as Capt. Edmund Blackadder, Tony Robinson as Pvt. S. Baldrick, Stephen Fry as Gen. Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay Melchett, Hugh Laurie as Lt. the Honorable George Colhurst St. Barleigh and Tim McInnerny as Capt. Kevin Darling . Ben Elton and Richard Curtis both wrote this, and it's a fantastic piece of work! Well worth watching, top quality!
  • Rowan Atkinson sa I would never have believed

I stumbled upon this show during an english lesson at high school and I was soon laughing myself crazy!Not only is the show funny, but Edmund Blackadder shows Atkinson as very few believe he could be: witty and gifted with a very "visual" way of acting (as opposed to other shows like the more famous Mr. Bean).
    I would reccomend this show to anyone with the possibility to view it (which sadly enough is only the english-speaking world, no one in Italy has ever bothered dubbing it (sob)).

As a side note: House fans seeing seasons three and four ("Blackadder the third" and "Blackadder goes forth") will see Hugh Laurie playing a Very different character from G. House.
  • A very cunning show. More cunning than a cat who's eaten all the leaves off the cunning plant.

British Comedy at it's best.

I prefer the seasons in reverse order, which is absolutely opposite of most of my friends, but I like being different.

I suppose that's why I like this show, as opposed to American sitcoms which I generally hate. It basically re-invented itself every season while staying true to what worked in the previous seasons.

Plus, it didn't pander to the audience. It worked on two levels. Very witty and intelligent while at the same time being visual and slapsticky.

No matter how the cast changed, the show worked with who it had, and boy did it work. From the talents of Tony Robinson, Hugh Laurie, Tim McInerny, Stephen Fry, and Miranda Richardson...and, of course, the unduplicatable Rowan Atkinson, this really is classic Brittish comedy.

An amazing peice of work I'm glad to have enountered. Hope you get a chance as well.
  • This is British sitcoms at their very best

This is how British sitcoms should be - mean, witty, cynical and fitted with an incredible cast.
    Rowan Atkinson is brilliant as Edmund Blackadder, the sharp and intelligent man that seems to be surrounded by idiots.
    Although series 1 isn't as good, series 2-4 are brilliant, mostly because Blackadder has grown a brain and Baldrick has lost his - the way it should be.

I don't know how someone could not find this funny - Blackadders insults alone are more than enough reason to watch the show - add hilarious situations and a great supporting cast and you have an incredibly funny and effective sitcom.
  • This is, how Comedy should be.

Not only does The Black Adder show a face of Rowan Atkinson that is apart from Mr. Bean, it shows a way funnier one, to my mind.
    This is sitcom at its best. Mean, sarcastic, sometimes even cynical, but always funny. This is not somekind of sophisticated humor, but still it is above so many other comedy-shows.

And the ending of the last episode, of the last season must be the best ending to a sitcom ever.
  • Rowan Atkinson at his best!

Incredible funny show from britain. Rowan Atkinson create such extraordinary character, Edmund Blackadder, like no one before. And we can see something diffrent from Rowan's Mr.Bean, couse Edmund is the smartest one in this show. Shows starts in medieval in Britain and end during II Great War. In my opinion first season is the best one. Load of gags and make this show the best british one after Monty Pythons Flying Circus. Shame that there are only 4 season, 6 episodes each. Couse there are much more ideas which could be used in this show. I really have lot of fun with this show!
  • Oh. Superb. Amazingly witty. Those amazingly extended similes just have you rolling on the floor with laughter. My one disappointment is that I could only choose one classification. Because this classic belongs in so many of those categories.

Enmund Blackadder, a bungling fool in the first series, declares that he shall go forth into history and warp and mangle whatever he so desires in order to place himself in a position of power.
    With his trusty dogsbody Baldrick by his side, Blackadder becomes the metaphorical skidmark on the underwear of life, taking advantage of anyone and everyone for his own personal gain.
    And, of course, he has a laugh or two along the way.
  • LOL Very funny

A brilliantly written British comedy masterpiece. Very good. With a star like Rowan Atkenson who adds to the comic effect, we see him progress throuhg the seasons from the roles he normally plays, a goof through to season 4 where he is actually fairly strong and serious. Blackadders comments to baldrick and other people he doesn't like always make make me laugh. It is a great series that I can watch over and over again.
  • A brilliant sitcom taking us through history and making witty remarks throughout.

One of the few shows to actually reverse jump the shark. The first series is definitely the worst, but still has it's funny moments. But when Ben Elton joined the team and the character or Blackadder became witty and a real bastard, the show becomes brilliant.

Rowan Atkinson is at his all time best here, none of that bumbling idiot he's been reduced to ever since Mr Bean. The jokes and stories are genius, making fun of the times in which each series is set.

Listen, if you ever get the opportunity, watch the show, you'll love it. If you've already seen it, watch it again. But then again, I don't need to tell you that.
< 1 2