Blackadder

BBC (ended 1989)

TheOldBill

Blackadder Fan Reviews page 2 of 2

• One of the most clever premises for a show, ever!

Four main series, a christmas special, and a one shot season five. All take place in different times in British history. The dark ages, Elizabethen, Georgian, WWI, victorian christmas and modern day. All the characters are reincarnated over and over always trying to get through life my whatever means possible. The main character is Rowen Atkinson as "The Black Adder". Who schemes and plots to try and make his station better. Surrounded by idiots Edmund "Black Adder" sees everyone as a mark. With no real friends, he is unapologeticly nasty. A character type I can only compere to Basil Faulty (John Cleese), or House (Hugh Laurie, who is in Black Adder series 3 as George IV).
    Other stars were Stephen Fry, Tim Mcinnery, Miranda Richardson, Brian Blessed, Tony Robinson, Hugh Laurie, and Miranda Richardson. A pretty impressive list. At the time each of these performers could easily hold their own show. Guest stars includes Rik Mayall, Nigel Planter, Adrian Edminson, Colin Firth, and Patsy Byrne who is hilarious as nursey in BA2. From what I can tell it is fairly historically accurate, but with cheeky twisting of historical figures.
    I didn't give this a full ten because series 1 is a little rough. The character wasn't fully figured out yet. But to be fair, it was the first series. If you're looking for Mr.Bean, although also awesome, is not here. If you are looking for cleaver, here it is. If you like Family Guy, go away.
  • Who knew history could be so - interesting? :-P

One night, I tuned into this show just by chance and I thought it's subversion of history was hilarious.
    The theme of karmic retribution runs thru the series - he plans and schemes for riches and power, only to be foiled every time. Each time he is reborn, he just succeeds in fouling up his new life.

So what does Edmund Blackadder do? Give up! NE-VUH! He just cooks up ever more grandiose plans, which are foiled partially by fate, but mostly by the mental midget, Baldrick, he has for a henchman.

To be fair, first Lord Percy Percy [it's really odd to see Hugh Laurie now play a brilliant and ascerbic doctor in "House") - then the Prince Regent also has a hand in it by simply stumbling in at the wrong moment.

I judge this series superior to the later "Mr. Bean" TV series (and certainly the movie).
  • -

This was a good show, but I'm not inclined to contribute here any more, and there is no way to close one's account here. This was a good show, but I'm not inclined to contribute here any more, and there is no way to close one's account here. bye bye
  • Historically Funny!

Blackadder is one of those rare TV series that really makes you laugh...but in some caes it is not because it is funny, but the grossness or the meanness of Edmund Blackadder when he does something to Baldrick.

The last special (Blackadder Back And Forth) was brilliant, I hope they plan to do something else in the near future.
  • Rowan Atkinson is such a great comedian!

This was the first series of the popular sitcom written by Richard Curtis and Ben Elton. The difference with this to the other three series of the sitcom is that Rowan Atkinson is also a writer of this first series, and instead of Blackadder - Prince Edmund, Duke of Edinburgh (Atkinson) being a villain or annoyed, he is pretty much a copy of Mr Bean. But that's because Atkinson wrote it that way. I do prefer the villain versions of Blackadder that follow, but this is not a bad start to the sitcom. Also, the main difference is Baldrick and Percy are smarter than Blackadder instead of them being thick. Also starring Brian Blessed as King Richard IV of England, Tim McInnerny as Percy and Tony Robinson as Baldrick. Look out in the first episode for Peter Cook! Very good!
  • A Cunning Show

As with all British comedy series I have seen, I was introduced to this one on Public Television.

After watching all four series, I found I was none too thrilled with Series 1, and a few episodes of series 2 weren't favorites of mine either, but I felt Series 3 was hilarious. My most favorite episode of that Series was the one entitled "Sense and Senility", and featured two scenery-devouring actors named Mossop and Keanrick. The routine they have to go through to ward off evil spirits at the mention of the title of "The Scottish Play" is hysterically funny. All the titles of series 3 were take-offs of "Sense and Sensibility" by Jane Austen, and that too was funny.

Series 4, being set during World War I, and as it had to do with the army, all titles referred to some soldierly rank, except the final episode, which had a different title that I won't go into as some who read this might not have seen it yet.

I had the great fortune of being able to visit the city of London in the year 2000, and as such, I was able to visit "The Millennium Dome". As one of the features of "The Dome", they screened a "one-off" production entitled "Blackadder: Back and Forth".

To this day, I don't care what anyone else says, I liked it. It may not have been as fall down funny as some of the television stories, but it served its purpose.
  • Prepare to watch the most clever and cutting unlikeably funny people long before Seinfeld put its heroes in jail. READ ON FOR MY REVIEW!

This show is done in four seasons. I am only reviewing the second and third seasons since those were the only ones I watched.

The second season is the Elizabethan period. Lots of men in tights and ruffs and darn, those dudes look pretty sexy! Ok, I digress. I like Bells and Beer the best. I don't mind the gutter humor and the cheap laffs, in fact, they are quite good. The false breasts, the phallic turnip. Bring it on, it's all good. Never mind sexy Bob and Lord Flash Heart! Blackadder, you've never been as sexy as with good ole Bob.

The third season introduced me to the over the top crazy Prince George Regent. Hilarious! "Faster than you can say antidisestablishmentarianism." Hmm, do you think the prince can say it? Guess? Blackadder is probably about as icky yet interestingly sexy anyway, but throw in the Prince and you will be up to your ears in coifs, pantalons, and knickers and rolling on the floor in yours laughing!
  • Pure and simple, this has got to be one of my favourite shows ever.

Rowan Atkinson has the timing of a comedy god. Tony Robinson is the best dogsbody since Manuel from Fawlty Towers, and any selection from the pack of accompanying characters, are all works of genius.

This is the best of British comedy. It's got good competition but as far as I'm concerned, Only Fools and Horses and the like are unworthy to clean the Black Adder's boots.

Also one of the first shows that I would regularly quote from.
  • Another classic from Rowan Atkinson

The Black Adder series is just another in the long line of classic comedies starring Rowan Atkinson. Even if you hated Rowan Atkinson as Mr. Bean (as many people do), your opinion of him willc hange after watching this classic show.

I think it is fair to say that first season is not nearly as funny as the others. My personal favorite series is Black Adder III which not only stars Rowan Atkinson but Hugh Laurie as well.

If you ever get a chance to see the Black Adder Chrsitmas Special where Edmund, catch it as it is one of the funniest christmas specials I have ever seen.
  • Another reason to love British television ...

From the cowardly, power seeking, Edmund Duke of Edinburgh (the slimy one), to the cunning, witty, respected captain during 1st World War; this strange and complex character known as Edmund Blackadder has entertained myself and the everyone I know. A satirical lesson in British history, seen through the eyes of the ever cynical Edmund; not only is it historically accurate-ish, it truly does include clever comments on the British society's that Edmund finds himself in.

I thoroughly recommend this fantastic comedy. Each episode will have you laughing with the endless repetitions that never get old ('I have a cunning plan'), and thinking about the way in which people lived during the times portrayed so brilliantly by all the actors and actresses.

I guarantee that you will not be disappointed.
  • "I have a cunning plan."

This has got to be one of the best (with Fawlty Towers) shows on tv. Each series was better than the last, with my personal favourite incarnation of Blackadder being Series 2 -- Rowan Atkinson with that beard was just completely hot. And the ending of Series 4 was truly heartbreaking. When they charged over the edge of the trench and it faded to white, I was just in tears.

If you get a chance to watch it (reruns on tv, dvd rental or purchase), I highly recommend it.
  • the show is all about edmund blackadder and baldrick as they're family go through the greatest moments in time

this show is great when i first saw it was the last episode of seires two and it was just so fuuny i hope they make a new sieres of the great show baldrick always has a "cunning" plan which is terrible and is always put down by the blackadder of that time hilarious
  • This sitcom has four series, all in different time periods, chronicling the Edmund Blackadder dynasty. This series will allegedly be brought back into the 1960s, with Rowan Atkinson and Tony Robinson confirmed to be on the cast.

This show, voted the second greatest British sitcom of all time, was divided into four series of six episodes, with Edmund Blackadder, the main character, decreasing each time in social standing. In the first, Prince Edmund was the Duke of Edinburgh. In the second, he was an Elizabethan lord to the queen. In the third, he was a mere butler to King George IV, and in the fourth, he was a World War I captain in a decrepit trench. His manservant Baldrick was one of the stupidest people in all of England, while his friends George and Percy also had brains like Swiss cheese. This show was one of the most brilliant series ever. The third was my favorite season, followed by the fourth and second. The first season was decent, but once Ben Elton joined the writing team for season two, there was no looking back.
  • Throughout British History, The Blackadder family survive through events of great significance. Along for the Ride is Edmund Blackadder, and his faithful servant Baldrick as well as Melchett, Percy/Darling and Elizabeth/Queeny

Ah Blackadder. Truely one of Britains Greatest ever television masterpieces. This series began with an overbugeted, under written first steries which dissapointed many and almost led to the show's cancellation. But as Legend goes, Rowan Atkinson left the writing duties and Ben Elton joined the team and began to co-write with Richard Curtis and the rest they say is history. The series really finds its level with series 2 and keeps getting better and better and rasing the stakes even further. Each series takes place during a different point in English history

Series 1: 1485-1499 - Middle Ages
    Series 2: 1558-1565 - Elizabethan
    Special: 1648 - Civil War
    Series 3: 1775-1827 - Regency
    Special: 1840s Victorian
    Series 4: 1917 - World War 1
    Special: 1999 - Millenium

Each Series stars Rowan Atkinson as Edmund Blackadder and Tony Robinson Baldrick. Both Edmund and Baldrick appear in every episode.

Joining them in Series 1 was Tim Mcinnerney as Lord Percy Brian Blessed as King Richard IV, Elspet Gray as the Queen and Robert East as Prince Harry

In Series 2 Stephen Fry, Miranda Richardson and Patsy Byrne all made their first appearences in the Series as Lord Melchett, Queen Elizabeth I and Nursey. Tim Mcinnerny returned as Lord Percy Percy. Also during this series Hugh Laruie first appeared in two guest roles. Tim Mcinnerny Left the Cast at the end of series 2.

In Series 3 Hugh Laurie joined the caster proper as Prince George the Prince Regent and Helen Atkinson-Wood as Mrs Miggins.

In Series 4: Tim Mcinnerny and Stephen Fry return to the Cast.

The Blackadder series is groundbreaking in terms of its comedy. While it is a physical comedy, its true power and laughter comes from the dialouge which is possibly the sharpest and best written scripts on television outside of The Simpsons.

Rowan Atkinson gives the performance of his life as the ever selfish Edmund. His Brilliant portrayal becomes increasingly good through the series as the character of edmund evolves.

He Starts series 2 as a nasty, rude bastard who only cares about power and himself and has little regard for manservant Baldrick and hangeroner Percy. In series 3, Edmund is less of a bastard and more greedy but no less selfish. Finally in the Mindblowing series 4, Edmund is neither selfish, greedy or a bastard, He is simply a sad bitter man scared about his impending fate who truely does care about his friends and respects them. The final scene of series 4 in which Blackadder has been ordered to lead the charge against the Germans is heartbreaking. Darling arrives, having been forced to attend by the Insane General Melchett. They all enter the trench and stand waiting. they all hear the guns have stopped and believe its peace. and then Edmund destroys their hope by telling them that the guns have stopped because they are about to charge. Its a heartbreaking moment when you realise that these 4 characters who had been the sources of so much laughter in the previous series were about to die and that it wasn't funny anymore. It was a real message. They were going to die and for what?

Blackadder I-V are one of the greatest pieces of television ever created and worth every cent in purchasing it. Go on, get it. you won't regret it. Hey Nonny No!
1 2 >