Blackadder

BBC (ended 1989)

TheOldBill

Blackadder Fan Reviews (45)

• Not bad choise!

The best of the lot. Very funny script, brilliant cast, superbly acted. I prefer Edmund as this type of meek, slimy character than in later series. Also Balders is better suited as intelligent than stupid, that character is already brilliantly done by Percy. Each episode has a uniquely funny story. The Archbishop one where Baldrick makes holy artifacts is extremely funny. Especially as Percy thinks he bought a real artifact only to discover that it's one of Baldricks.

He marries an 8 year old princess in another episode. Very original humour, and the little princess herself is extremely funny. The way she laughs at the Vicar is hilarious. Witchsmeller Persuivant, another great episode, possibly the best but its difficult to distinguish which is the best as they are all so good. Frank Finlay is so believable as the witch, his voice, expressions, the way he cross examines Edmund in court and entraps him. Pure genius.

The last one is fantastic. I love the way he finally gets revenge on his dad by forming an army of the 6 most evil men in England. All with uniquely evil attributes. I don't think 6 episodes is enough for this first series. There is so much comedy there to fill 12 episodes at least. Still the second and third series, although inferior did not disappoint. The fourth however did.

Will always remain as one of the great British classics.
  • A classic example of British Humour.

My favourite quote is from Blackadder 4 when Baldrick is sitting doing something and Blackadder comes in and asks what he's doing and then Baldrick explains "Well you know how they say out there is a bullet with your name on it, well I was just making sure that I own it" Classic.
    Other highlights of this series was the realtionship between Blackadder and Darling. Painful to watch but hilarious.
  • Cunning British comedy.

When you speak the name Rowan Atkinson, people usually think of Mr. Bean. While Bean is a funny character, I MUCH prefer the more sophisticated and more sarcastic Blackadder.

The average first season (The Black Adder) set during the Middle Ages where Edmund Black Adder (who almost went on to be called "The Black Vegetable") is the son of Richard IV - my favorite character in this series - and one of the nephews Richard III supposedly murdered in the Tower. Black Adder is the red-headed stepchild here, being ignored by a father who never gets his name right. Accompagnying Black Adder are Lord Percy and Baldrick.

The show (called Blackadder II) then has an Edmund Blackadder at the Court of Queen Elizabeth I. This second season saw a revamp of the Blackadder character and his sidekicks (including Baldrick, Blackadder's loveable servant), making Blackadder more of a scheming bastard and an hypocrite who fights Stephen Fry's Lord Melchett for Queenie's attention and positive answers, while Baldrick has become really stupid (a characteristic his followers would keep, but that's what makes the character so enjoyable and funny). The historical references displayed here include the discovery of potatoes, the Spanish Inquisition (who are linked to a character played by Hugh Laurie that captures Blackadder in the season finale)... The titles here are just one word (Potato, Chains,

Blackadder The Third is by far my favorite incarnation. Blackadder works as a butler for Prince George IV during the Regency. Hugh Laurie plays an hilariously stupid Prince George, while Tony Robinson plays another member of the great Baldrick line (this version of Baldrick while very naive and rather stupid, provides some ideas for Blackadder's plots. This incarnation has a lot of historical references, like Dr. Johnson showing up to present his dictionnary, the Scarlet Pimprenelle and the French Revolution threatening royalty and the Duke of Wellington (Stephen Fry) going after the Prince. The titles here are puns on two words sounding similar (like Ink And Incapacity or Sense And Senility)

Blackadder Goes Forth closes the series (though various ideas for a fifth incarnation have been rumored, from a 1960s rock band to a Red Adder that would be part of the Russian Revolution) and this manages to make WWI look funny. Captain Blackadder is stationned in a trench, along with Lieutenant George (Hugh Laurie) and his batman Private Baldrick. They are under the orders of General Melchett and his assistant Captain Darling (whose name is the butt of so many jokes here) and the plot is essentially Blackadder trying to get off the trenches - whatever it takes: being a cook, hunting spies or joining the Air Force. The titles here refer to the plot, but put as military names (Private Plane, General except for the last one simply called Goodbyeee which has a very grim yet powerful ending.

By now, I guess the eyes are still seeing and the lips are still speaking the words, but Mister Brain must have long since departed, hasn't he ? Anyway, one last word (as a reference to my favorite running gag in a Blackadder The Third episode): MACBETH !!
  • LOL Very funny

A brilliantly written British comedy masterpiece. Very good. With a star like Rowan Atkenson who adds to the comic effect, we see him progress throuhg the seasons from the roles he normally plays, a goof through to season 4 where he is actually fairly strong and serious. Blackadders comments to baldrick and other people he doesn't like always make make me laugh. It is a great series that I can watch over and over again.
  • Fantastic British comedy.

This program is hilarious and great slapstick comedy. A brilliant cast and acting.Rowan Atkinson is the best character in the show and it is his performance ever. Baldrick is Blackadder's sidekick they come up with plans. Baldrick gets more stupid as the series goes on. I love the relationship between Blackadder and Baldrick as Blackadder beats the hell out of Baldrick verbally and physically which I find really funny.

It is a great tv series, which you can learn about history in a comical way. Each episode is set in a different period of time. There are 4 series and 4 special episodes.
  • Bloody Fantastic!!

Rowan Atkinson was a genius! Ok I admit the first season wasnt the best but it did get better from there. The writing was wonderful, very subtle in some cases but also very crass in others. Who can forget Baldrick, Prince Regent, Captain Darling?? All brilliant characters. I still cant get used to Hugh Laurie doing an American accent. It really should be brought back again, even if it is just maybe one episode a year or even for Comic Relief. It brought so much happiness to so many people that it shouldn't just be swept aside. Really this probably paved the way for many comedians doing television, especially Little Britain, which I love too!
    Probably the most moving scene ever on British television is the final episode of Blackadder Goes Fourth. The final scene where they are about to go over the wall and the screen fades to a poppy field. Nobody who has seen that can ever forget it.
  • A very cunning show. More cunning than a cat who's eaten all the leaves off the cunning plant.

British Comedy at it's best.

I prefer the seasons in reverse order, which is absolutely opposite of most of my friends, but I like being different.

I suppose that's why I like this show, as opposed to American sitcoms which I generally hate. It basically re-invented itself every season while staying true to what worked in the previous seasons.

Plus, it didn't pander to the audience. It worked on two levels. Very witty and intelligent while at the same time being visual and slapsticky.

No matter how the cast changed, the show worked with who it had, and boy did it work. From the talents of Tony Robinson, Hugh Laurie, Tim McInerny, Stephen Fry, and Miranda Richardson...and, of course, the unduplicatable Rowan Atkinson, this really is classic Brittish comedy.

An amazing peice of work I'm glad to have enountered. Hope you get a chance as well.
  • -

This was a good show, but I'm not inclined to contribute here any more, and there is no way to close one's account here. This was a good show, but I'm not inclined to contribute here any more, and there is no way to close one's account here. bye bye
  • Who knew history could be so - interesting? :-P

One night, I tuned into this show just by chance and I thought it's subversion of history was hilarious.
    The theme of karmic retribution runs thru the series - he plans and schemes for riches and power, only to be foiled every time. Each time he is reborn, he just succeeds in fouling up his new life.

So what does Edmund Blackadder do? Give up! NE-VUH! He just cooks up ever more grandiose plans, which are foiled partially by fate, but mostly by the mental midget, Baldrick, he has for a henchman.

To be fair, first Lord Percy Percy [it's really odd to see Hugh Laurie now play a brilliant and ascerbic doctor in "House") - then the Prince Regent also has a hand in it by simply stumbling in at the wrong moment.

I judge this series superior to the later "Mr. Bean" TV series (and certainly the movie).
  • A real evergreen classic, that showcases British comedy at its best!

A true showcase of British humor at its best! Rowan Atkinson has never been funnier, and of course, the best tv duet of all times, Hugh and Laurie, are also there to make sure your facial muscles will be well exercised!

The show is based on different periods in British history, from times of King Richard III up till the WWII, which are outstandingly parodied by the main characters. Rowan Atkinson always plays a person named Edmund Blackadder, who is, of course, unknown to history teachers, but actually is the reason for all the turmoils in the history of Britain. Amazing actors, great jokes, a show you will never forget! My Shakespeare class university teacher brought it in class for us to watch, to show how it parodies the original Shakespearean dialogue! It was voted 2nd best British sitcom of all times, according to Wikipedia.
  • Can't get much funnier than this!

The second funniest British comedy, at least in my opinion, after Black Books, Black Adder is hilarious and original, and certainly Rowan Atkinson's funniest role by far.

The fact that only 24 episodes over 4 seasons were made leaves Black Adder with a lot to be expected, and while it is quite dated by now, it was to begin with in the first place, given the times the various Black Adders (or vegetables) are set in.

Whenever Baldrick comes up with a "cunning plan" or finds a new way to earn valuable turnips, it's bound to be a hilarious scene, and satires from any century or situation are sidesplittingly performed in Black Adder, the definition of classic British comedy.
  • A brilliant sitcom taking us through history and making witty remarks throughout.

One of the few shows to actually reverse jump the shark. The first series is definitely the worst, but still has it's funny moments. But when Ben Elton joined the team and the character or Blackadder became witty and a real bastard, the show becomes brilliant.

Rowan Atkinson is at his all time best here, none of that bumbling idiot he's been reduced to ever since Mr Bean. The jokes and stories are genius, making fun of the times in which each series is set.

Listen, if you ever get the opportunity, watch the show, you'll love it. If you've already seen it, watch it again. But then again, I don't need to tell you that.
  • A Cunning Show

As with all British comedy series I have seen, I was introduced to this one on Public Television.

After watching all four series, I found I was none too thrilled with Series 1, and a few episodes of series 2 weren't favorites of mine either, but I felt Series 3 was hilarious. My most favorite episode of that Series was the one entitled "Sense and Senility", and featured two scenery-devouring actors named Mossop and Keanrick. The routine they have to go through to ward off evil spirits at the mention of the title of "The Scottish Play" is hysterically funny. All the titles of series 3 were take-offs of "Sense and Sensibility" by Jane Austen, and that too was funny.

Series 4, being set during World War I, and as it had to do with the army, all titles referred to some soldierly rank, except the final episode, which had a different title that I won't go into as some who read this might not have seen it yet.

I had the great fortune of being able to visit the city of London in the year 2000, and as such, I was able to visit "The Millennium Dome". As one of the features of "The Dome", they screened a "one-off" production entitled "Blackadder: Back and Forth".

To this day, I don't care what anyone else says, I liked it. It may not have been as fall down funny as some of the television stories, but it served its purpose.
  • Prepare to watch the most clever and cutting unlikeably funny people long before Seinfeld put its heroes in jail. READ ON FOR MY REVIEW!

This show is done in four seasons. I am only reviewing the second and third seasons since those were the only ones I watched.

The second season is the Elizabethan period. Lots of men in tights and ruffs and darn, those dudes look pretty sexy! Ok, I digress. I like Bells and Beer the best. I don't mind the gutter humor and the cheap laffs, in fact, they are quite good. The false breasts, the phallic turnip. Bring it on, it's all good. Never mind sexy Bob and Lord Flash Heart! Blackadder, you've never been as sexy as with good ole Bob.

The third season introduced me to the over the top crazy Prince George Regent. Hilarious! "Faster than you can say antidisestablishmentarianism." Hmm, do you think the prince can say it? Guess? Blackadder is probably about as icky yet interestingly sexy anyway, but throw in the Prince and you will be up to your ears in coifs, pantalons, and knickers and rolling on the floor in yours laughing!
  • I have always been a fan of British TV comedy and this is one of my favorites.

I first saw Blackadder on the BBC (in the UK) in the late 1980's. I was hooked from the start. All episodes, throughout the 4 series, are without a doubt the most clever programs ever written for television.

The structure of the 4 original series is brilliant.

The main character is certainly not someone you would want to meet in real life, but sure is funny as a comedy character! The characters changed a bit after this first series, as Blackadder became more aggressive and less goofy, and Baldrick became stupider. For some people, that's a good thing, and for some not so much. Either way, if you're a fan of good British comedy, and you haven't seen The Black Adder, then I suggest you check it out as soon as you get the chance, same thing with the later ones!
  • Rowan Atkinson sa I would never have believed

I stumbled upon this show during an english lesson at high school and I was soon laughing myself crazy!Not only is the show funny, but Edmund Blackadder shows Atkinson as very few believe he could be: witty and gifted with a very "visual" way of acting (as opposed to other shows like the more famous Mr. Bean).
    I would reccomend this show to anyone with the possibility to view it (which sadly enough is only the english-speaking world, no one in Italy has ever bothered dubbing it (sob)).

As a side note: House fans seeing seasons three and four ("Blackadder the third" and "Blackadder goes forth") will see Hugh Laurie playing a Very different character from G. House.
  • One of the most clever premises for a show, ever!

Four main series, a christmas special, and a one shot season five. All take place in different times in British history. The dark ages, Elizabethen, Georgian, WWI, victorian christmas and modern day. All the characters are reincarnated over and over always trying to get through life my whatever means possible. The main character is Rowen Atkinson as "The Black Adder". Who schemes and plots to try and make his station better. Surrounded by idiots Edmund "Black Adder" sees everyone as a mark. With no real friends, he is unapologeticly nasty. A character type I can only compere to Basil Faulty (John Cleese), or House (Hugh Laurie, who is in Black Adder series 3 as George IV).
    Other stars were Stephen Fry, Tim Mcinnery, Miranda Richardson, Brian Blessed, Tony Robinson, Hugh Laurie, and Miranda Richardson. A pretty impressive list. At the time each of these performers could easily hold their own show. Guest stars includes Rik Mayall, Nigel Planter, Adrian Edminson, Colin Firth, and Patsy Byrne who is hilarious as nursey in BA2. From what I can tell it is fairly historically accurate, but with cheeky twisting of historical figures.
    I didn't give this a full ten because series 1 is a little rough. The character wasn't fully figured out yet. But to be fair, it was the first series. If you're looking for Mr.Bean, although also awesome, is not here. If you are looking for cleaver, here it is. If you like Family Guy, go away.
  • Hilarious

Blackadder is a brilliant, funny british comedy that anybody would struggle to dislike. The show follows the events of Edmund Blackadder, played by Rowan Atkinson, through the middle ages and even the first world war. Rowan Atkinson really shines as Blackadder and his quirky one-liners are brilliant. He may have seemed like a strange choice at first but he does a fantastic job as Blackadder, really making the show what it is. Without him the show would never have been the hit that it was. There is never a dull moment in blackadder with the character Baldrick also being hilarious.

To conclude I will say that Blackadder is one of my all time favourite TV shows and I cannot see how anybody would dislike it. If you have never seen it then buy the DVD's and get watching!!!
  • I was introduced to this show as a youngster. It still never stops to put a smile on my face.

This show really epitomizes British comedy: slapstick and intellectual at the same time. Rowan Atkinson and Tony Robinson are the perfect duo to get into trouble together. Their friendship is what makes the show so great...well, maybe not the friendship. Maybe its the way Rowan beats the hell out of Tony verbally and physically. Either way, Hugh Laurie's roles are absolutely hilarious as well. Overall, one of the best shows on television ever. I wish they would make more!!
  • Rowan Atkinson is such a great comedian!

This was the first series of the popular sitcom written by Richard Curtis and Ben Elton. The difference with this to the other three series of the sitcom is that Rowan Atkinson is also a writer of this first series, and instead of Blackadder - Prince Edmund, Duke of Edinburgh (Atkinson) being a villain or annoyed, he is pretty much a copy of Mr Bean. But that's because Atkinson wrote it that way. I do prefer the villain versions of Blackadder that follow, but this is not a bad start to the sitcom. Also, the main difference is Baldrick and Percy are smarter than Blackadder instead of them being thick. Also starring Brian Blessed as King Richard IV of England, Tim McInnerny as Percy and Tony Robinson as Baldrick. Look out in the first episode for Peter Cook! Very good!
  • A Comical Villain

Blackadder was a popular comedy series produced by BBC which featured Rowan Atkinson as the nefarious miscreant known throughout the series as Edmund Blackadder, who through various periods of history he tries to make something of himself through devious means.

With his aide-de-camp Baldrick (Tony Robinson), he gets into all sorts of scrapes in which he sometimes comes up on top, only briefly.

He manages to survive the medieval era, the Elizibethan age, the reign of King George III & finally World War I.

Although this comedy show is not for everyone due to its covert gross-out & sexual humor, it is by far the funniest British comedy show this side of Monty Python.
  • Throughout its four seasons and various specials The story of the Black Adder remains as one of the top(if not the best)British comedies ever written. The performances by all the actors are just superb.

Really, if you have never seen it don't think twice and go and buy it, rent it, download it, steal it or whateverelse you need to do to get your hands on it!

Since I have nothing to add to the above I leave you here with a few quotes:

Baldrick: Well, Mr Blackadder always says, when the going gets tough, the tough hide under the table. Blackadder: I'm as poor as a church mouse, that's just had an enormous tax bill on the very day his wife ran off with another mouse, taking all the cheese. Edmund: Never had anything you doctors didn't try to cure with leeches. A leech on my ear for ear ache, a leech on my bottom for constipation.
    Doctor: They're marvellous, aren't they?
    Edmund: Well, the bottom one wasn't. I just sat there and squashed it.
  • Possibly the greatest British comedy of all time!

Blackadder is my favorite British comedy and one of the most brilliant shows ever. Rowan Atkinson is just hilarious in his role of Edmund Blackadder and the rest of the cast is awesome too. The show fallows him through 4 periods of British history never failing to bring endless amusement to us, viewers. From Middle Age and the adventures of King Richard IV to World War I and the ever funny Captain Darling, the series gets better and better with each episode. My personal favorite part of the series is part 2, where we can see Miranda Richardson in a role of Queen Elizabeth I.
  • I have a cunning plan.....

This show is just bloody fantastic, funny, it's an oldie but you have to put it on your Must Watch list !!
    Finally a show where Rowan Atkinson talks and he does it really well ! he's in each season which are a different part of english history a character you either love to hate or hate to love !!
    and for the americans, look at the prince regent, it's docteur House !!! completely stupid prince regent, so well acted by Hugh Laurie !
    the Queen is hilarious !
    and don't forget Baldrick with his cunning plans which of course only quicken the end of his master Black Adder !!
    Watch it till the end, it's a great view of english history !
  • There is always a Blackadder in History and our glimpses of Edmund Blackadder are hysterical.

The best comedy ever. This show is baudy, witty, at times slapstick and just thoroughly enjoyable to watch. It helps if you know a little about British History, but that is not necissary to get most of the jokes.

Rowan Atkinson is Edmund Blackadder and he and the writers really got it write starting in series II. Edmund is witty, clever and in top form from there on. Hugh Laurie and Miranda Richardson are great in their roles as monarchs or regents of England. Both are a little daft, but Queenie also has an edge threatening to cut peoples heads off when she is really displeased with them. And of course Tim McInnerny, Tony Robinson, and Stephen Fry as sidekicks and/or rivals of Edmund. Great cast, great writing, and great overall show.
  • Blackadder and Fawlty Towers are the two funniest and most clever shows to ever come out of Britain.

Although I really didn't care for the first season (I really didn't, It just lacks the comic genius that next three mastered perfectly). Seasons 2,3, and 4 are just amazingly clever. British comedy is so great, it makes American comedy look like Baldrick. The show was obviously made on a low-budget, but that is another thing that makes it so funny. I might as well rate this show a 10, because to me its perfect, and is the only thing I can think of that deserves this rating, and also it is the best show I know (and will know), but i cant deny or forget the first season, it will always be there, so a 10 rating will not be possible. I try to rate and review a series as a whole, but I bent the rules in the Ren and Stimpy review so why not do it again, I'll give this a 10, remember this is only (and I mean only) for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th seasons. Blackadder is a classic show, if only they had made more of this outstanding series.
  • Dig up on you British History and enjoy the spin Rowan Atkinson and co gave to the story of Blackadder... A guy who would never make it to be the ruler of the country. Wonder what cunning plan Baldrick will have and enjoy the puns every episode brings.

I wasn't such a fan of history class, but this exciting story of generations of Blackadders wanting to rule the UK, or at least have some grasp of power will make you laugh. Wether it's about the stupidity of Blackadder I, or the cunningness of all other Blackadders in history, and how they're dealing with dimwids as sidekicks, you will like it, if you like wordplay and a spin on how things would have been...
  • Blackadder tells the tale of Edmund Blackadder. A prince, al lord, a butler or a captain in the Brittish army, Blackadder has been it all. Constantly surrounded by morrons like Baldrick, George or Percy, he needs cunning plans to get what he wants.

In the role of Edmund Blackadder we have the comedic genious: Rowan Atkinson.
    He starts off as a studid prince who is more weasel than man.
    But as off the second series he becomes smart and sarcastic.
    He has to please Queen Elisabeth in wathever she wants from him, or lose his head.
    In series 3 he is a butler that uses his wit to persuade Prince George to do as he says.
    In series 4 he's a captain who wants to go home as fast as possible, because General Malchett constantly wants him to go "over the top", and become (most likely) a corpse.

Every consecutive series shows Blackadder in a lower social class, en with every declining class he becomes more intelligent, and his companions become dumber.

The best thing about Blackadder are off course his remarks towards the people in his surroundings (be it Percy, George, Baldrick or Darling).

The supporting cast consists of excelent Brittish actors, with great names like Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry.

Blackadder is something that one likes or hates, there is nog middle road. But it is a classic in the Brittish comedic shows.
  • A great show, featuring Rowan Atkinson as Edmund Blackadder, the weirdest tv-show lead ever... and the greatest! (Better and more fun than Mr.Bean)

The best of the lot. Very funny script, brilliant cast, superbly acted. I love Edmund as this type of meek, slimy, at first stupid-later smart character. Also Baldrick is one of the funnies bi-characters of all time, together with Percy (Whom dissapears in the third series, but comes back, as another character, in the last one)

In the first series, Edmund was portraied as a stupid and evil little man. Baldric was the smart one, and Percy was even stupider than Edmund.
    In the second, Edmund was smarter, Baldric was stupid, and Percy was.. well, even stupider.
    The third one followed the second, but Percy disappered, with a new stupid monach (Hugh Laurie) appearing instead.
    In the forth, Edmund was a leader, and Percy appeared again, but now as a smarter one, Cpt.Darling.
    So... you see, many changes... BUT...
    All in all, a great show!

Perfect 10 ;)
  • It IS my favoraite show.

How do I put it. Right. Blackadder is based in four perods of british history (medievil,tudor,dont know the era series 3 is based in and world war 1)and stars Rowan Atkinson as Edmund blackadder and tony robinson as balderick. Writen by Ben Elton this comedy has some very witty lines. One of my faves:
    "Do you love your contry?"
    "Yes sir."
    "do you love your king?"
    "No sir."
    "And why not?"
    "My mother told me never to trust a man with a beard sir."
    "Ha, the charm of the native cockney wit." Then melchard smacks balderick in the face. Classic scene. It boils down to this. You MUST watch this series and enjoy it to say you enjoy comedy.
< 1 2