Blackadder

BBC (ended 1989)

TheOldBill

Blackadder Fan Reviews (44)

• Throughout British History, The Blackadder family survive through events of great significance. Along for the Ride is Edmund Blackadder, and his faithful servant Baldrick as well as Melchett, Percy/Darling and Elizabeth/Queeny

Ah Blackadder. Truely one of Britains Greatest ever television masterpieces. This series began with an overbugeted, under written first steries which dissapointed many and almost led to the show's cancellation. But as Legend goes, Rowan Atkinson left the writing duties and Ben Elton joined the team and began to co-write with Richard Curtis and the rest they say is history. The series really finds its level with series 2 and keeps getting better and better and rasing the stakes even further. Each series takes place during a different point in English history

Series 1: 1485-1499 - Middle Ages
    Series 2: 1558-1565 - Elizabethan
    Special: 1648 - Civil War
    Series 3: 1775-1827 - Regency
    Special: 1840s Victorian
    Series 4: 1917 - World War 1
    Special: 1999 - Millenium

Each Series stars Rowan Atkinson as Edmund Blackadder and Tony Robinson Baldrick. Both Edmund and Baldrick appear in every episode.

Joining them in Series 1 was Tim Mcinnerney as Lord Percy Brian Blessed as King Richard IV, Elspet Gray as the Queen and Robert East as Prince Harry

In Series 2 Stephen Fry, Miranda Richardson and Patsy Byrne all made their first appearences in the Series as Lord Melchett, Queen Elizabeth I and Nursey. Tim Mcinnerny returned as Lord Percy Percy. Also during this series Hugh Laruie first appeared in two guest roles. Tim Mcinnerny Left the Cast at the end of series 2.

In Series 3 Hugh Laurie joined the caster proper as Prince George the Prince Regent and Helen Atkinson-Wood as Mrs Miggins.

In Series 4: Tim Mcinnerny and Stephen Fry return to the Cast.

The Blackadder series is groundbreaking in terms of its comedy. While it is a physical comedy, its true power and laughter comes from the dialouge which is possibly the sharpest and best written scripts on television outside of The Simpsons.

Rowan Atkinson gives the performance of his life as the ever selfish Edmund. His Brilliant portrayal becomes increasingly good through the series as the character of edmund evolves.

He Starts series 2 as a nasty, rude bastard who only cares about power and himself and has little regard for manservant Baldrick and hangeroner Percy. In series 3, Edmund is less of a bastard and more greedy but no less selfish. Finally in the Mindblowing series 4, Edmund is neither selfish, greedy or a bastard, He is simply a sad bitter man scared about his impending fate who truely does care about his friends and respects them. The final scene of series 4 in which Blackadder has been ordered to lead the charge against the Germans is heartbreaking. Darling arrives, having been forced to attend by the Insane General Melchett. They all enter the trench and stand waiting. they all hear the guns have stopped and believe its peace. and then Edmund destroys their hope by telling them that the guns have stopped because they are about to charge. Its a heartbreaking moment when you realise that these 4 characters who had been the sources of so much laughter in the previous series were about to die and that it wasn't funny anymore. It was a real message. They were going to die and for what?

Blackadder I-V are one of the greatest pieces of television ever created and worth every cent in purchasing it. Go on, get it. you won't regret it. Hey Nonny No!
  • This sitcom has four series, all in different time periods, chronicling the Edmund Blackadder dynasty. This series will allegedly be brought back into the 1960s, with Rowan Atkinson and Tony Robinson confirmed to be on the cast.

This show, voted the second greatest British sitcom of all time, was divided into four series of six episodes, with Edmund Blackadder, the main character, decreasing each time in social standing. In the first, Prince Edmund was the Duke of Edinburgh. In the second, he was an Elizabethan lord to the queen. In the third, he was a mere butler to King George IV, and in the fourth, he was a World War I captain in a decrepit trench. His manservant Baldrick was one of the stupidest people in all of England, while his friends George and Percy also had brains like Swiss cheese. This show was one of the most brilliant series ever. The third was my favorite season, followed by the fourth and second. The first season was decent, but once Ben Elton joined the writing team for season two, there was no looking back.
  • the show is all about edmund blackadder and baldrick as they're family go through the greatest moments in time

this show is great when i first saw it was the last episode of seires two and it was just so fuuny i hope they make a new sieres of the great show baldrick always has a "cunning" plan which is terrible and is always put down by the blackadder of that time hilarious
  • "I have a cunning plan."

This has got to be one of the best (with Fawlty Towers) shows on tv. Each series was better than the last, with my personal favourite incarnation of Blackadder being Series 2 -- Rowan Atkinson with that beard was just completely hot. And the ending of Series 4 was truly heartbreaking. When they charged over the edge of the trench and it faded to white, I was just in tears.

If you get a chance to watch it (reruns on tv, dvd rental or purchase), I highly recommend it.
  • Another reason to love British television ...

From the cowardly, power seeking, Edmund Duke of Edinburgh (the slimy one), to the cunning, witty, respected captain during 1st World War; this strange and complex character known as Edmund Blackadder has entertained myself and the everyone I know. A satirical lesson in British history, seen through the eyes of the ever cynical Edmund; not only is it historically accurate-ish, it truly does include clever comments on the British society's that Edmund finds himself in.

I thoroughly recommend this fantastic comedy. Each episode will have you laughing with the endless repetitions that never get old ('I have a cunning plan'), and thinking about the way in which people lived during the times portrayed so brilliantly by all the actors and actresses.

I guarantee that you will not be disappointed.
  • Another classic from Rowan Atkinson

The Black Adder series is just another in the long line of classic comedies starring Rowan Atkinson. Even if you hated Rowan Atkinson as Mr. Bean (as many people do), your opinion of him willc hange after watching this classic show.

I think it is fair to say that first season is not nearly as funny as the others. My personal favorite series is Black Adder III which not only stars Rowan Atkinson but Hugh Laurie as well.

If you ever get a chance to see the Black Adder Chrsitmas Special where Edmund, catch it as it is one of the funniest christmas specials I have ever seen.
  • Pure and simple, this has got to be one of my favourite shows ever.

Rowan Atkinson has the timing of a comedy god. Tony Robinson is the best dogsbody since Manuel from Fawlty Towers, and any selection from the pack of accompanying characters, are all works of genius.

This is the best of British comedy. It's got good competition but as far as I'm concerned, Only Fools and Horses and the like are unworthy to clean the Black Adder's boots.

Also one of the first shows that I would regularly quote from.
  • Prepare to watch the most clever and cutting unlikeably funny people long before Seinfeld put its heroes in jail. READ ON FOR MY REVIEW!

This show is done in four seasons. I am only reviewing the second and third seasons since those were the only ones I watched.

The second season is the Elizabethan period. Lots of men in tights and ruffs and darn, those dudes look pretty sexy! Ok, I digress. I like Bells and Beer the best. I don't mind the gutter humor and the cheap laffs, in fact, they are quite good. The false breasts, the phallic turnip. Bring it on, it's all good. Never mind sexy Bob and Lord Flash Heart! Blackadder, you've never been as sexy as with good ole Bob.

The third season introduced me to the over the top crazy Prince George Regent. Hilarious! "Faster than you can say antidisestablishmentarianism." Hmm, do you think the prince can say it? Guess? Blackadder is probably about as icky yet interestingly sexy anyway, but throw in the Prince and you will be up to your ears in coifs, pantalons, and knickers and rolling on the floor in yours laughing!
  • A Cunning Show

As with all British comedy series I have seen, I was introduced to this one on Public Television.

After watching all four series, I found I was none too thrilled with Series 1, and a few episodes of series 2 weren't favorites of mine either, but I felt Series 3 was hilarious. My most favorite episode of that Series was the one entitled "Sense and Senility", and featured two scenery-devouring actors named Mossop and Keanrick. The routine they have to go through to ward off evil spirits at the mention of the title of "The Scottish Play" is hysterically funny. All the titles of series 3 were take-offs of "Sense and Sensibility" by Jane Austen, and that too was funny.

Series 4, being set during World War I, and as it had to do with the army, all titles referred to some soldierly rank, except the final episode, which had a different title that I won't go into as some who read this might not have seen it yet.

I had the great fortune of being able to visit the city of London in the year 2000, and as such, I was able to visit "The Millennium Dome". As one of the features of "The Dome", they screened a "one-off" production entitled "Blackadder: Back and Forth".

To this day, I don't care what anyone else says, I liked it. It may not have been as fall down funny as some of the television stories, but it served its purpose.
  • Rowan Atkinson is such a great comedian!

This was the first series of the popular sitcom written by Richard Curtis and Ben Elton. The difference with this to the other three series of the sitcom is that Rowan Atkinson is also a writer of this first series, and instead of Blackadder - Prince Edmund, Duke of Edinburgh (Atkinson) being a villain or annoyed, he is pretty much a copy of Mr Bean. But that's because Atkinson wrote it that way. I do prefer the villain versions of Blackadder that follow, but this is not a bad start to the sitcom. Also, the main difference is Baldrick and Percy are smarter than Blackadder instead of them being thick. Also starring Brian Blessed as King Richard IV of England, Tim McInnerny as Percy and Tony Robinson as Baldrick. Look out in the first episode for Peter Cook! Very good!
  • Historically Funny!

Blackadder is one of those rare TV series that really makes you laugh...but in some caes it is not because it is funny, but the grossness or the meanness of Edmund Blackadder when he does something to Baldrick.

The last special (Blackadder Back And Forth) was brilliant, I hope they plan to do something else in the near future.
  • -

This was a good show, but I'm not inclined to contribute here any more, and there is no way to close one's account here. This was a good show, but I'm not inclined to contribute here any more, and there is no way to close one's account here. bye bye
  • Who knew history could be so - interesting? :-P

One night, I tuned into this show just by chance and I thought it's subversion of history was hilarious.
    The theme of karmic retribution runs thru the series - he plans and schemes for riches and power, only to be foiled every time. Each time he is reborn, he just succeeds in fouling up his new life.

So what does Edmund Blackadder do? Give up! NE-VUH! He just cooks up ever more grandiose plans, which are foiled partially by fate, but mostly by the mental midget, Baldrick, he has for a henchman.

To be fair, first Lord Percy Percy [it's really odd to see Hugh Laurie now play a brilliant and ascerbic doctor in "House") - then the Prince Regent also has a hand in it by simply stumbling in at the wrong moment.

I judge this series superior to the later "Mr. Bean" TV series (and certainly the movie).
  • One of the most clever premises for a show, ever!

Four main series, a christmas special, and a one shot season five. All take place in different times in British history. The dark ages, Elizabethen, Georgian, WWI, victorian christmas and modern day. All the characters are reincarnated over and over always trying to get through life my whatever means possible. The main character is Rowen Atkinson as "The Black Adder". Who schemes and plots to try and make his station better. Surrounded by idiots Edmund "Black Adder" sees everyone as a mark. With no real friends, he is unapologeticly nasty. A character type I can only compere to Basil Faulty (John Cleese), or House (Hugh Laurie, who is in Black Adder series 3 as George IV).
    Other stars were Stephen Fry, Tim Mcinnery, Miranda Richardson, Brian Blessed, Tony Robinson, Hugh Laurie, and Miranda Richardson. A pretty impressive list. At the time each of these performers could easily hold their own show. Guest stars includes Rik Mayall, Nigel Planter, Adrian Edminson, Colin Firth, and Patsy Byrne who is hilarious as nursey in BA2. From what I can tell it is fairly historically accurate, but with cheeky twisting of historical figures.
    I didn't give this a full ten because series 1 is a little rough. The character wasn't fully figured out yet. But to be fair, it was the first series. If you're looking for Mr.Bean, although also awesome, is not here. If you are looking for cleaver, here it is. If you like Family Guy, go away.
  • A brilliant sitcom taking us through history and making witty remarks throughout.

One of the few shows to actually reverse jump the shark. The first series is definitely the worst, but still has it's funny moments. But when Ben Elton joined the team and the character or Blackadder became witty and a real bastard, the show becomes brilliant.

Rowan Atkinson is at his all time best here, none of that bumbling idiot he's been reduced to ever since Mr Bean. The jokes and stories are genius, making fun of the times in which each series is set.

Listen, if you ever get the opportunity, watch the show, you'll love it. If you've already seen it, watch it again. But then again, I don't need to tell you that.
  • LOL Very funny

A brilliantly written British comedy masterpiece. Very good. With a star like Rowan Atkenson who adds to the comic effect, we see him progress throuhg the seasons from the roles he normally plays, a goof through to season 4 where he is actually fairly strong and serious. Blackadders comments to baldrick and other people he doesn't like always make make me laugh. It is a great series that I can watch over and over again.
  • Oh. Superb. Amazingly witty. Those amazingly extended similes just have you rolling on the floor with laughter. My one disappointment is that I could only choose one classification. Because this classic belongs in so many of those categories.

Enmund Blackadder, a bungling fool in the first series, declares that he shall go forth into history and warp and mangle whatever he so desires in order to place himself in a position of power.
    With his trusty dogsbody Baldrick by his side, Blackadder becomes the metaphorical skidmark on the underwear of life, taking advantage of anyone and everyone for his own personal gain.
    And, of course, he has a laugh or two along the way.
  • Rowan Atkinson at his best!

Incredible funny show from britain. Rowan Atkinson create such extraordinary character, Edmund Blackadder, like no one before. And we can see something diffrent from Rowan's Mr.Bean, couse Edmund is the smartest one in this show. Shows starts in medieval in Britain and end during II Great War. In my opinion first season is the best one. Load of gags and make this show the best british one after Monty Pythons Flying Circus. Shame that there are only 4 season, 6 episodes each. Couse there are much more ideas which could be used in this show. I really have lot of fun with this show!
  • This is, how Comedy should be.

Not only does The Black Adder show a face of Rowan Atkinson that is apart from Mr. Bean, it shows a way funnier one, to my mind.
    This is sitcom at its best. Mean, sarcastic, sometimes even cynical, but always funny. This is not somekind of sophisticated humor, but still it is above so many other comedy-shows.

And the ending of the last episode, of the last season must be the best ending to a sitcom ever.
  • This is British sitcoms at their very best

This is how British sitcoms should be - mean, witty, cynical and fitted with an incredible cast.
    Rowan Atkinson is brilliant as Edmund Blackadder, the sharp and intelligent man that seems to be surrounded by idiots.
    Although series 1 isn't as good, series 2-4 are brilliant, mostly because Blackadder has grown a brain and Baldrick has lost his - the way it should be.

I don't know how someone could not find this funny - Blackadders insults alone are more than enough reason to watch the show - add hilarious situations and a great supporting cast and you have an incredibly funny and effective sitcom.
  • A very cunning show. More cunning than a cat who's eaten all the leaves off the cunning plant.

British Comedy at it's best.

I prefer the seasons in reverse order, which is absolutely opposite of most of my friends, but I like being different.

I suppose that's why I like this show, as opposed to American sitcoms which I generally hate. It basically re-invented itself every season while staying true to what worked in the previous seasons.

Plus, it didn't pander to the audience. It worked on two levels. Very witty and intelligent while at the same time being visual and slapsticky.

No matter how the cast changed, the show worked with who it had, and boy did it work. From the talents of Tony Robinson, Hugh Laurie, Tim McInerny, Stephen Fry, and Miranda Richardson...and, of course, the unduplicatable Rowan Atkinson, this really is classic Brittish comedy.

An amazing peice of work I'm glad to have enountered. Hope you get a chance as well.
  • Rowan Atkinson sa I would never have believed

I stumbled upon this show during an english lesson at high school and I was soon laughing myself crazy!Not only is the show funny, but Edmund Blackadder shows Atkinson as very few believe he could be: witty and gifted with a very "visual" way of acting (as opposed to other shows like the more famous Mr. Bean).
    I would reccomend this show to anyone with the possibility to view it (which sadly enough is only the english-speaking world, no one in Italy has ever bothered dubbing it (sob)).

As a side note: House fans seeing seasons three and four ("Blackadder the third" and "Blackadder goes forth") will see Hugh Laurie playing a Very different character from G. House.
  • In all of the seasons, Edmund Blackadder is in command or chief of Baldric but Blackadder is always out witted by an idiot that commands him.

He is made to do the most stupid things, but still he does his duty but always tries to curb things his way. Rowan Atkinson plays Blackadder along with Tony Robinson as Baldrick and throughout the four seasons are 'The Black Adder' : Brian Blessed as King Richard IV of England, Robert East as Harry, Prince of Wales, Elspet Gray as The Queen and Tim McInnerny as Percy.(Also is uncredited Patrick Allen as the narrator) In Blackadder II : Tim McInnerny as Lord Percy Percy, Tony Robinson as Baldrick, Miranda Richardson as Queen Elizabeth I,Stephen Fry as Lord Melchett, Patsy Byrne as Nursie (Bernard) and uncredited Tony Aitken doing the end credits. In Black adder III is: Hugh Laurie as George, Prince of Wales, Prince Regent and Helen Atkinson-Wood as Mrs. Miggins, A Coffee-Shoppe Keeper. And finally, BlackAdder Goes Fourth : Rowan Atkinson as Capt. Edmund Blackadder, Tony Robinson as Pvt. S. Baldrick, Stephen Fry as Gen. Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay Melchett, Hugh Laurie as Lt. the Honorable George Colhurst St. Barleigh and Tim McInnerny as Capt. Kevin Darling . Ben Elton and Richard Curtis both wrote this, and it's a fantastic piece of work! Well worth watching, top quality!
  • A classic example of British Humour.

My favourite quote is from Blackadder 4 when Baldrick is sitting doing something and Blackadder comes in and asks what he's doing and then Baldrick explains "Well you know how they say out there is a bullet with your name on it, well I was just making sure that I own it" Classic.
    Other highlights of this series was the realtionship between Blackadder and Darling. Painful to watch but hilarious.
  • Hateful, deceptive, ruthless, and that's just his good side: Rowan Atkinson starts as the evil scion of a family that serves the English crown through several generations. One of the funniest shows ever made.

Edmund Blackadder just wants to help. Himself, that is: the little devil is constantly plotting to con others out of money, privilege and maybe life itself, as he aims for more power and loot in his role as an official in the English court. Assistant Baldrick is forced to help him out, and barely lives to tell the tale.

The show moved through four eras, from the Tudors up to World War I. Each time, the dastardly man tried to scheme his way out of mediocrity, and wound up nearly losing his own skin in the process. Great writing, laugh-out-loud funny and filled with devilish plot twists. My favorite season is the second one, but they're all worth it.

They say evil never wins. That won't stop him from trying.

Laden with big laughs and clever characters. A nearly perfect show. See it this instant.
  • I love this Series.

My favorite season is the third season; the one that takes place in King George time. My favorite episode from that season was sense and senility. I love that Blackadder says Macbeth a totall of 9 times.

Mossop: ...lest you continue in your quotations and mention the name of the "Scottish Play".
    Keanrick: Oh-ho... never fear, I shan't do that.
    Blackadder: By the "Scottish Play", I assume you mean Macbeth.
    Mossop and Keanrick: Aahhhhh. Hot potato, off his drawers, Puck will make amends. Aaahh.
    Blackadder: What was that?
    Keanrick: We were exorcising evil spirits. Being but a mere butler, you will not know the great theatre tradition that one does never speak the name of the "Scottish Play".
    Blackadder: What, Macbeth?
    Mossop and Keanrick: Aahhhhh. Hot potato, off his drawers, Puck will make amends. Ohhh.
    Blackadder: Good lord, you mean you have to do that every time I say Macbeth?
    Mossop and Keanrick: Aahhhhh. Hot potato, off his drawers, Puck will make amends. Owwww.
    Mossop: Will you please stop saying that. Always call it the "Scottish Play".
    Blackadder: So you want me to say the "Scottish Play"?
    Mossop and Keanrick: (shout) Yes.
    Blackadder: Rather than Macbeth?
    Mossop and Keanrick: Aahhhhh. Hot potato, off his drawers, Puck will make amends. Owwwwww.
    Prince George: For heaven's sake, what is all this hullabaloo, all this shouting and screaming and yelling blue murder? Why... it's like that play we saw the other day, what was it called... umm...
    Blackadder: Macbeth, sir?
    Prince George: No, no, it was called Julius Caesar.
    Blackadder: Ah, yes, of course. Julius Caesar... not Macbeth.

I also love the episodes in the 2nd and 4th sason well.

Blackadder: (talking into the phone) Captain Blackadder speaking? (pause) No I'm afraid the line is very heeeeeeeeeegh
    Darling: Hello? Hello captain Blackadder, Hello?
    Blackadder: (crumples newspaper into phone receiver. knocks phone 3 times on the table) Shne! Shne! Catoflecought!
    Darling: I say, there's a terrible line at my end. You're to advance on the enemy at once!
    (Blackadder blows a raspberry into the receiver, while Darling listens interested)
    Blackadder: (in a Mr. Bean voice) A wandering minstrels eye, i sing to pray… eeeeooouuuu… (in normal voice) Gold force aids? End mint.
    (Blackadder hangs up phone)
    Lt. George: So come on sir, what's the message? I'm on tender hooks, do tell!
    Blackadder: Well as far as I can tell, the message was: he's got a terrible lion up his end, so there's an advantage for an enema at once.

Melchett: What say you, Blackadder, I sing a song to keep our spirits up?
    Blackadder: That all depends wether you want the slop bucket over your head or not.
    Melchett: Well perhaps some pleasant word game?
    Blackadder: Yes, allright. Make a sentence out of the following words: Face, sodding, your, shut.
  • I was introduced to this show as a youngster. It still never stops to put a smile on my face.

This show really epitomizes British comedy: slapstick and intellectual at the same time. Rowan Atkinson and Tony Robinson are the perfect duo to get into trouble together. Their friendship is what makes the show so great...well, maybe not the friendship. Maybe its the way Rowan beats the hell out of Tony verbally and physically. Either way, Hugh Laurie's roles are absolutely hilarious as well. Overall, one of the best shows on television ever. I wish they would make more!!
  • It IS my favoraite show.

How do I put it. Right. Blackadder is based in four perods of british history (medievil,tudor,dont know the era series 3 is based in and world war 1)and stars Rowan Atkinson as Edmund blackadder and tony robinson as balderick. Writen by Ben Elton this comedy has some very witty lines. One of my faves:
    "Do you love your contry?"
    "Yes sir."
    "do you love your king?"
    "No sir."
    "And why not?"
    "My mother told me never to trust a man with a beard sir."
    "Ha, the charm of the native cockney wit." Then melchard smacks balderick in the face. Classic scene. It boils down to this. You MUST watch this series and enjoy it to say you enjoy comedy.
  • I have always been a fan of British TV comedy and this is one of my favorites.

I first saw Blackadder on the BBC (in the UK) in the late 1980's. I was hooked from the start. All episodes, throughout the 4 series, are without a doubt the most clever programs ever written for television.

The structure of the 4 original series is brilliant.

The main character is certainly not someone you would want to meet in real life, but sure is funny as a comedy character! The characters changed a bit after this first series, as Blackadder became more aggressive and less goofy, and Baldrick became stupider. For some people, that's a good thing, and for some not so much. Either way, if you're a fan of good British comedy, and you haven't seen The Black Adder, then I suggest you check it out as soon as you get the chance, same thing with the later ones!
  • A great show, featuring Rowan Atkinson as Edmund Blackadder, the weirdest tv-show lead ever... and the greatest! (Better and more fun than Mr.Bean)

The best of the lot. Very funny script, brilliant cast, superbly acted. I love Edmund as this type of meek, slimy, at first stupid-later smart character. Also Baldrick is one of the funnies bi-characters of all time, together with Percy (Whom dissapears in the third series, but comes back, as another character, in the last one)

In the first series, Edmund was portraied as a stupid and evil little man. Baldric was the smart one, and Percy was even stupider than Edmund.
    In the second, Edmund was smarter, Baldric was stupid, and Percy was.. well, even stupider.
    The third one followed the second, but Percy disappered, with a new stupid monach (Hugh Laurie) appearing instead.
    In the forth, Edmund was a leader, and Percy appeared again, but now as a smarter one, Cpt.Darling.
    So... you see, many changes... BUT...
    All in all, a great show!

Perfect 10 ;)