Blake's 7

Blake

Aired Monday 7:15 PM Dec 21, 1981 on BBC

• The end is upon us

You can not win against the Federation. Like trying to kill a tank with a flyswatter. But you can, as Blake did, inspire others to rise above the enemy and become better by helping each other to overcome. Even though in the end you die, at least you die with a clear concience and a pure heart. Perhaps Avon was doing Blake a favor, because he knew the Federation was on his heels. Who knows. What will the future hold for you and we? Unlike the world of Blake's 7 we cannot fly to another world and hole up in a bunker, though we can dig holes here on earth. We must be like Blake and go out into the world recruiting new believers everywhere we can.
  • Avon and his reluctant followers track down Blake on Gauda Prime.

A brilliant episode, penned by Chris Boucher. It encapsulates the themes of trust and betrayal, so prominent in all of Blake's 7, and culminates in a bloodbath, very apt for the tone of the series. We finally get some characterisation for Soolin, and an embittered, older Blake comes to the fore. Gareth Thomas has commented that this was the way he wanted to portray Blake all along; with bitterness, world-weariness and yet still holding on to a scrap of humanity, a belief in people, still wanting to take over the Federation by any means possible. This idealism, honourable as it is, leads to his and the others' eventual downfall. A brilliantly scripted and character-heavy episode. Grimy, realistic, painful and above all, unforgettable conclusion to a fantastic series.