Bleach

Connected Hearts! The Left Fist Prepared for Death!

Aired Tuesday 7:00 PM Apr 20, 2010 on TV Tokyo

• Bleach is back although not in the way that we remember it...

Finally after 35 filler episodes and almost a year later Bleach finally returns to the main story arc. I consider this episode the proper return as last week's episode was simply a recap for those who may have forgotten where the story left off. But then again how could we?! The fight between Ichigo and Ulquiorra is one of the most anticipated fights of the Arrancar arc and to see it finally start is very exciting. However, it looks as though this will be spread out over a number of episodes so hopefully it won't be a drawn out debacle that shonen animes are used to taking. The other focus of this episode is the teamwork that Renji and Chad have to use to take down the numerous Hollows including a fight with a giant sand hollow reminiscent of the one seen in episodes 146.

The Good:
    The highlight of this show, while brief, is the fight between Ichigo and Ulquiorra. Ulquiorra immediately draws out his sword and attacks Ichigo. Ichigo definitely has become more powerful since their last encounter and even manages to cut Ulquiorra across the chest. However, Ulquiorra begins to release more of his power and once again dominates the fight. Its very predictable and very shonen but is still a joy to watch and makes me excited to see more.

The Bad:
    The scenes with Chad and Renji are the main focus of this episode and unfortunately it is very dull. There is nothing new we learn about these characters aside from the fact that they can train together but can't fight together. What should have been a 5 min interlude was instead a 15 min romp through boredom. I have a feeling we are going to see this with more characters. I just hope that they aren't as dull as this one was.

Overall the hype for the last 8 months is what drew me into this episode but unfortunately nothing major happens that could make me recommend it without reservation. However, there is light at the end of the tunnel and hopefully this series will return to form soon enough.