Bleach Forums

TV Tokyo (ended 2012)

Bleach = Yu Yu Hakusho?

Which show did you like the most?

ANEWMARK

[1]Feb 23, 2009
    • level: 6

there are a lot of comparisons, particularly with the sensui and bount arcs. was the later one based on the earlier one?

SENSUI ARC= YUSUKE AND FRIENDS GET SEVERAL TESTS BY GENKAI, THEIR MENTOR BY THREE NEW CHARACTERS, KAITO, KIDO AND YANAGISAWA. AFTER THIS IS UNVEILED, THEY HAVE TO DEFEAT A VILLIAN, SENSUI, WHO WANTS TO GO TO THE OTHER WORLD OF THE SERIES, SPIRIT, OR DEMON WORLD. ALSO, HE GETS THE OTHER "PSYCHICS" TO HELP, WITH YUSUKE UNDERSTANDING SENSUI IN THE END OF THE ARC.

BOUNT ARC= ICHIGO AND FRIENDS GET SEVERAL TESTS BY URAHARA, THEIR MENTOR BY THREE NEW CHARACTERS, RIRIN, NOUVA, AND KORODO. AFTER THIS IS UNVEILED, THEY HAVE TO DEFEAT A VILLIAN, KARIYA, WHO WANTS TO GO TO THE OTHER WORLD OF THE SERIES, SEIREITI, OR THE SOUL SOCIETY. ALSO, HE GETS THE OTHER BOUNTS TO HELP, WITH ICHIGO UNDERSTANDING KARIYA IN THE END OF THE ARC.

ICHIGO AND YUSUKE ARE BOTH VERY BRASH PROTAGANISTS WHERE THERE APPEARENCE BELIES THEIR TRUE, PROTECTIVE NATURE.

URYU AND KUWABARA ARE BOTH CONSIDERED RIVALS TO THE MAIN CHARACTER.

BOTAN AND RUKIA BOTH ACT AS GUIDES TO THE MAIN CHARACTER.

KON AND PUU COULD BOTH BE CONSIDERED THE MASCOT, AS KON ACTUALLY SAYS TO RIRIN MORE THAN ONCE.

I COULDN'T FIND PARALLELS FOR HIEI, ORIHIME, OR KOENMA.

ANOTHER SIMILIARITY IS URYU'S AND KUWABARA'S LOSS OF POWER AT THE BEGINNING OF THE ARC, ALBEIT FOR DIFFERENT REASONS.

Edited on 02/23/2009 10:52am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

blackmagechris1

[2]Feb 23, 2009
    • level: 12

The reason for the similarities is because the anime director from Bleach is the same as Yu Yu Hakusho.

Fishbulb13

[4]Feb 23, 2009
    • level: 16
    Yu Yu Hakusho is also the spiritual predecessor of most Shonen anime, so there are natural parallels.

totallyaninja

[5]Feb 23, 2009
    • level: 13
    In terms of writing, character depth/developement (both protagonists and antagonists), storyline progression, humor, and action scenes, Yu Yu Hakusho wins by a mile. If we're specifically talking anime, Yu Yu Hakusho expands on the manga, contains no time-stalling filler nonsense, and progressively increases in quality as it goes. There's really no contest here.

LordMordor

[6]Feb 23, 2009

please avoid typing in all caps, it just makes it more difficult to read and is usually associated with shouting.

also, when you get down to the bare bones of things, all shonen tend to carry similar storylines and have the same standard archtypes

Edited on 02/23/2009 4:50pm

Darkknight313

[7]Feb 23, 2009
    • level: 28
    Of course Bleach copied Yu Yu Hakusho even though I like this show Yu Yu Hakusho is one of my favorite animes of all time.

totallyaninja

[8]Feb 23, 2009
    LordMordor wrote:

please avoid typing in all caps, it just makes it more difficult to read and is usually associated with shouting.

also, when you get down to the bare bones of things, all shonen tend to carry similar storylines and have the same standard archtypes

Actually, when you really get down to the bare bones, there are only a handful of stories and character archetypes that everything uses. But even when compared to other shonen, the similarities between these two shows are striking.

Angus_Mac

[9]Feb 24, 2009
    • level: 71
    I don't even think you even need to get to the Sensui/Bount arc to see the similarities. The first storyline was mainly about supernatural incidents or monsters of the week episodes. I'm sure the author wanted to have death match tournaments, but decided to go with the kidnapping and sword powerups instead.

peaceknuckle

[10]Feb 24, 2009
    • level: 15
    I agree with the similarities in some of the series premises, and even some of the storyline. Once the Soul Society arc started though, the similarities dry up pretty quickly. I agree about some of the Bounto Arc stuff being similar, but I don't consider Bountos to be canon, the storyline was developed by the animation studio, TK really didn't have much to do with it. So aside from the few cliches that almost every anime has, I don't really find them to be too similar to each other.

blackmagechris1

[11]Feb 25, 2009

peaceknuckle wrote:
    I agree about some of the Bounto Arc stuff being similar, but I don't consider Bountos to be canon, the storyline was developed by the animation studio, TK really didn't have much to do with it.
    Exactly, the anime director may of wanted to recycle the stuff from his earlier anime.

I not going to vote because I never seen the other show. I was getting into anime when the show was already halfway done and was about to get the crappy timeslot shortly after.

Edited on 02/25/2009 10:38am

Fishbulb13

[12]Feb 25, 2009
    totallyaninja wrote:
    LordMordor wrote:

Actually, when you really get down to the bare bones, there are only a handful of stories and character archetypes that everything uses. But even when compared to other shonen, the similarities between these two shows are striking.

Protagonist with infinite potential? Check.

Unrequited love interest that only watches the protagonist get beat up? Check.

Rival with equal abilities in the beginning that lag behind later on? Check.

Former enemy that becomes an ally? Check.

Crazy sensei? Check.

Protagonist goes through a transformation? Check.

totallyaninja

[13]Feb 25, 2009

Urahara's training is very similar to Genkai's in the "figure this out or you'll probably die" sense. Although I wouldn't say the love story is unrequited, Yusuke and Keiko are basically a couple from the very beginning.

Oh, and a redheaded guy who loses every single fight, check.

Nightmare_River

[14]Feb 25, 2009
    • level: 4
    totallyaninja wrote:

I wouldn't say Renji lost every single fight. If I remember, he beat Uryu as well as one of Grimmjow's Fraccion.

totallyaninja

[15]Feb 25, 2009
    And Kuwabara beat Risho and Seaman, it's still not a good record.

Llama_guy

[16]Feb 26, 2009
    • level: 53
    Nightmare_River wrote:
    totallyaninja wrote:

I wouldn't say Renji lost every single fight. If I remember, he beat Uryu as well as one of Grimmjow's Fraccion.
    The fraccion was merely because of the surprise element that the removal of the power limiter posed. And Uryuu was at the beginning of the series anyway. If that says anything. To quote a wise ninja, "it's still not a good record".

Nightmare_River

[17]Feb 26, 2009
    • level: 4
    I wasn't saying it was a good record.

Just saying it's not technically true that they never won.

Fishbulb13

[18]Feb 26, 2009
    totallyaninja wrote:
    Urahara's training is very similar to Genkai's in the "figure this out or you'll probably die" sense. Although I wouldn't say the love story is unrequited, Yusuke and Keiko are basically a couple from the very beginning.

How about this then? A mostly one sided love story due to the protagonist loving to fight rather than settling down.

totallyaninja

[19]Feb 27, 2009
    That's closer. I still say even though Yusuke was really immature at first, he was never as dense as Ichigo or your typical shonen hero. It's more accurate to say he was a lousy boyfriend than it was a one-sided love story.

Angus_Mac

[20]Feb 27, 2009
    • level: 71
    Then again Bleach's teens buck the trend and actually do quite well at school.