Bleach Forums

TV Tokyo (ended 2012)

I need help deciding!

metzgerr

[1]Dec 23, 2008
    • level: 2
    Ok, I just started watching Bleach a month ago, have reached where America is just a few hours ago, and had a quick question. Would you recommend continuing to watch the show in Japanese w/ English subs, or should I just stay with America and watch one a week on Adult Swim. Thanks in advance!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

YoruichiMeow

[2]Dec 23, 2008
    • level: 21
    It's really a matter of preference, but I recommend if you like it and don't want to wait, then watch the subs. If you don't like reading while trying to watch TV, then stick with the dubs. There's always the manga if you want to find out what happens next, whichever route you go. ^_^

Any way you go, there's always a wait for the next new episode/chapter to come out. I think the subs and manga are more consistent, and I'm impatient, so I go that route.

totallyaninja

[3]Dec 23, 2008
    • level: 13

The sub is superior to the dub, easily, and once you switch you'll have trouble going back. However, the anime in general is full of filler, inconsistant animation, poor choices of direction, etc., and just gets worse as you go. So I'd recommend the manga over the anime by far. If you've never read manga before, trust me, you'll get used to it quickly, and probably end up preferring it.

Basically, the manga tends to be more in the spirit of Bleach, in its art direction and general uncensored or dragged out nature. It's unadultered, straight from the creator.

tl;dr: manga>sub>dub

Fishbulb13

[4]Dec 23, 2008
    • level: 16
    totallyaninja wrote:

The sub is superior to the dub, easily, and once you switch you'll have trouble going back. However, the anime in general is full of filler, inconsistant animation, poor choices of direction, etc., and just gets worse as you go. So I'd recommend the manga over the anime by far. If you've never read manga before, trust me, you'll get used to it quickly, and probably end up preferring it.

Basically, the manga tends to be more in the spirit of Bleach, in its art direction and general uncensored or dragged out nature. It's unadultered, straight from the creator.

tl;dr: manga>sub>dub

Let's not be too harsh on the anime direction. Sure, it is inconsistent at times, but overall, the quality is quite good.

If you're really interested in what happens next in canon material, I would recommend skipping past the filler and watching the sub. If you don't mind waiting for a week to see what happens next, or you don't enjoy reading subtitles, stick with the dub.

totallyaninja

[5]Dec 23, 2008
    • level: 13

Fishbulb13 wrote:
    Let's not be too harsh on the anime direction. Sure, it is inconsistent at times, but overall, the quality is quite good.

I disagree. I think the anime is good up until the end of the Soul Society arc. After that it's just isolated pockets of quality in a sea of mediocrity. Judging the anime as a whole, it's pretty poor. There's a reason I stopped watching it.

Edited on 12/23/2008 10:45pm

Zelda_Fan94

[8]Dec 24, 2008
    • level: 1
    As someone else mentioned, it's a matter of personal preference.

I myself read the manga, watch the sub, and watch the dub.

At least to me, nothing beats an uncut anime dub and Bleach is no exception.

Anyways, go with what you feel is best.

talimgirl

[9]Dec 26, 2008
    • level: 5

metzgerr wrote:
    Ok, I just started watching Bleach a month ago, have reached where America is just a few hours ago, and had a quick question. Would you recommend continuing to watch the show in Japanese w/ English subs, or should I just stay with America and watch one a week on Adult Swim. Thanks in advance!
    I started watching Bleach the same way you did, with the dub. I started watching the subs because I wanted to be up to date with what was going on in the Bleach World (and I started reading the manga which is the next level up). It is really hard to go back to the dubs after watching subs because, to me, the voices fit way better in the subs. But if you don't wanna get left behind, I suggest you start watching subs now.

Then again, I am the type of person who wants to know the end of the movie/book before i watch/read it.

wolf17128

[10]Feb 5, 2009
    • level: 1

Hey buddy welcome to america! You like it?

Keep with bleach (subtitles); trust me, its worth it... you can go back and rewatch the dubbed episodes if you like

JadeRent13

[11]Feb 7, 2009
    • level: 12

When I first got into Bleach I was really satisfied with the dub. Then I got impatient and discovered subs finding them preferable...then I got even more impatient and fell in love with the manga. Now I find the dub just plain horrible (then again we are in Bount fillers...)and I'm a canon snob now lol.

It's all about personal preferences like so many already said, but I agree that the manga gives the best experience as it's less diluted than anything else out there. But if I were to sum up suggestions...

Lazy- just watch the anime on AS

Impatient- Watch sub episodes and have a marathon until you catch up

Completely Obsessed- Watch all the anime and read the manga (they all premiere on different days anyway) and forgo social life!

YamiGuzz

[12]Feb 7, 2009
    • level: 15
    I would read the manga

SsriTelQuessir

[13]Feb 7, 2009
    • level: 26
    I'm going to partically agree with TN on this one, which, in and of itself, may be a first. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There are some things I like about the dub - there are some pretty hard hitters in the voice cast - I particularly like Michelle Ruff and Stephanie Sheh. So the drop in over all quality from the jap to eng is not too extream. There is an intensity, however, in the japanese voice overs that isn't captured as well in Enlgish. The manga, in my opinion, is better, but that is the case about 98.264% of the time. Give each a shot and see which media you enjoy the most.

Nightmare_Sea

[14]Feb 8, 2009
    • level: 3
    I see all three [manga, sub, dub].

It's just that my preference is the uncut dub, but I watch all three forms.