Bleach Forums

TV Tokyo (ended 2012)

Manga Discussion (Spoilers up to current chapter in Japan)

titanmaniac05

[10321]Jan 17, 2013
    • level: 12

Although I thought you had to kill the previous captain to become captain. Unohana is clearly not dead so you think they might have faked her death or something so they could move her into a less violent division where she wouldn't want to continue being all criminal kenpachi.

It's weird though. I'm okay with accepting the fact that she used to be a dangerous criminal and what not even given that we've never actually seen her in battle or remotely angry...I mean this is the same woman who politely asked Rubone and his crew to leave so she could heal Chad AND an arrancar. Yet somehow I have no problem swallowing the fact that she used to be a violent kenpachi lady.

Now I'm kind of hoping that take the focus away from Ichigo and Renji and kind of keep things going with Unohana and Zaraki.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Fishbulb13

[10322]Jan 18, 2013
    • level: 16
    titanmaniac05 wrote:

Although I thought you had to kill the previous captain to become captain. Unohana is clearly not dead so you think they might have faked her death or something so they could move her into a less violent division where she wouldn't want to continue being all criminal kenpachi.

It's weird though. I'm okay with accepting the fact that she used to be a dangerous criminal and what not even given that we've never actually seen her in battle or remotely angry...I mean this is the same woman who politely asked Rubone and his crew to leave so she could heal Chad AND an arrancar. Yet somehow I have no problem swallowing the fact that she used to be a violent kenpachi lady.

Now I'm kind of hoping that take the focus away from Ichigo and Renji and kind of keep things going with Unohana and Zaraki.

IIRC, you can become a captain by defeating the previous captain. You don't necessarily have to kill them to take their place.

As for Unohana, even though it was usually played for laughs, people were scared of her when she actually was serious. Hell, even Aizen was wary around her, and Rudobone probably sensed some of her power and chose not to engage her.

I wouldn't mind if they focused on Kenpachi's plotline more than Ichigo, as this whole Zero Squad training story is kinda boring me, to be honest.

invisiblish

[10323]Jan 18, 2013
    • level: 9
    Fishbulb13 wrote:
    titanmaniac05 wrote:

IIRC, you can become a captain by defeating the previous captain. You don't necessarily have to kill them to take their place.

As for Unohana, even though it was usually played for laughs, people were scared of her when she actually was serious. Hell, even Aizen was wary around her, and Rudobone probably sensed some of her power and chose not to engage her.

I wouldn't mind if they focused on Kenpachi's plotline more than Ichigo, as this whole Zero Squad training story is kinda boring me, to be honest.

Very boring.

The only issue I see with the 11th Squad fight, and I completely agree that it was most likely them, is how did Kenpachi know Unohana before coming to the Gotei 13? He met (and named) Yachiru before fighting Ikkaku, and that was before any of them were there. Thus he had to have some reason for knowing Unohana's real name (Yachiru) to name her such. I do ask this, if Unohana was the 11th Squad Captain, do you think she underestimated Zaraki which lost her the fight? I wouldn't say that he cheated or anything like that, but I mean that she truly was surprised by how powerful he had become or was? As Zaraki did with Ichigo, he took the fight lightly for most of the fight, I wonder if Unohana did something similar if not exactly that

MatejDijanin

[10324]Jan 18, 2013
    • level: 5
    invisiblish wrote:
    Fishbulb13 wrote:
    titanmaniac05 wrote:

Very boring.

The only issue I see with the 11th Squad fight, and I completely agree that it was most likely them, is how did Kenpachi know Unohana before coming to the Gotei 13? He met (and named) Yachiru before fighting Ikkaku, and that was before any of them were there. Thus he had to have some reason for knowing Unohana's real name (Yachiru) to name her such. I do ask this, if Unohana was the 11th Squad Captain, do you think she underestimated Zaraki which lost her the fight? I wouldn't say that he cheated or anything like that, but I mean that she truly was surprised by how powerful he had become or was? As Zaraki did with Ichigo, he took the fight lightly for most of the fight, I wonder if Unohana did something similar if not exactly that

well it's possible that unohana fought zaraki before in the past, and defeated him(hence the naming of yachiru the baby) and when he went to the gotei 13 he fought unohana again for the captaincy and won but chose to let her live(like he did with Ikkaku) or unohana chose to throw down the fight for some reason. Am I the only one that doesn't mind the Ichigo training story? Am I the only one that pretty much nailed to the floor by the possibility of learning more about the zanpakuto? Don't get me wrong I want to see zaraki and unohana but I'm also quite interested in Ichigo's part

Fishbulb13

[10325]Jan 18, 2013
    I'd have to see more of the Ichigo/Renji training in order to reserve a better judgement on it. As of right now, it hasn't really gripped me as much as the Kenpachi/Unohana storyline has.

invisiblish

[10326]Jan 18, 2013
    Fishbulb13 wrote:
    I'd have to see more of the Ichigo/Renji training in order to reserve a better judgement on it. As of right now, it hasn't really gripped me as much as the Kenpachi/Unohana storyline has.

Exactly my thoughts.

I think it would be a bit of a stretch to say that not only did Zaraki and Unhoana fought once before joining the Gotei 13, but again once they joined. I'd almost prefer that they have never fought. If this is true, I would expect that Unohana through the fight so that she could stop being part of the unruliest Squad. A Killer to Savior change of Heart

titanmaniac05

[10327]Jan 18, 2013
    • level: 12

I think one of my biggest issue with Ichigo and Renji's plotline right now is how random and semi-ridiculous the training is. Also because it's not Urahara doing the training or something important. And while it was great to finally see the zero squad, Kubo went and revealed the Kenpachi thing and I was all like Zero Squad who? What's Unohana backstory etc.

Also Fishbulb, thanks for clearing that up. I don't even remember about it because I think Zaraki was the only captain they mentioned ever doing it. But wait, it couldn't have been Unohana he defeated for captaincy. During the turn back the pendulum arc, wasn't she already the fourth division captain before Zaraki even made it to the Gotei 13?

Fishbulb13

[10328]Jan 19, 2013
    Yes, apparently Kenpachi killed Kenpachi Kiganjo to become the 11th squad captain, so he and Unohana must have fought well before that.

invisiblish

[10329]Jan 19, 2013
    I was really hoping to learn more about the Royal Families, I'm seriously doubting that this will come up any.

invisiblish

[10330]Jan 23, 2013
    Well this Chapter only seemed to confirm that one of them will die and that they have fought before. It does seem surprising a bit that Zaraki based his fighting style on hers. Looks like we'll get to see about their past soon though.

Did anyone else feel like Zaraki was going to finally embrace his Zanpakutou?

Fishbulb13

[10331]Jan 23, 2013
    I assume that's what will eventually happen. I suppose his apparent ability to get stronger from getting stabbed a lot also explains how Kenpachi is going to get something out of getting stabbed repeatedly. I guess Kubo is a fan of Akira Toriyama?

MatejDijanin

[10332]Jan 24, 2013
    Fishbulb13 wrote:
    I assume that's what will eventually happen. I suppose his apparent ability to get stronger from getting stabbed a lot also explains how Kenpachi is going to get something out of getting stabbed repeatedly. I guess Kubo is a fan of Akira Toriyama?

Hahaha well he is his fan... remember the fact that it was toriyama that encouraged kubo to rewrite and improve the original concept of bleach....

''my sin'' line brings another insane theory to mind... How old are Zaraki and Unohana? I mean I've given a few ridicuolus theories(one of them was true but still out of my character) but this one might just trump them all.. Could there be also a familial bond between those two? this is a question, the theory is too insane to post at the moment, but some of you might recognize what I'm hinting...

Fishbulb13

[10333]Jan 25, 2013
    No theory is too insane to post. From what the story has been hinting, Unohana was one of the original shinigami, along with Ukitake and Kyoraku, so she's pretty old. Actually, speaking of, who else would love to see a TPTB mini-arc about the founding of Soul Society?

MatejDijanin

[10334]Jan 25, 2013
    Fishbulb13 wrote:
    Actually, speaking of, who else would love to see a TPTB mini-arc about the founding of Soul Society?
    ¸

anyone who reads the story for the story more than action?

invisiblish

[10335]Jan 27, 2013
    MatejDijanin wrote:
    Fishbulb13 wrote:
    Actually, speaking of, who else would love to see a TPTB mini-arc about the founding of Soul Society?
    ¸

anyone who reads the story for the story more than action?

Seconded.

I'm still trying to comprehend how either of them can be considered Kenpachi when Yama-jii was proclaimed as the most powerful. Of course I could also delve into the entire Soukyoku (sp?) Hill and what not, but I'll refrain...

MatejDijanin

[10336]Jan 30, 2013
    ok... I knew that zaraki is insanely powerful, but that he was that powerful as a child?? Isn't that a little pushing it?

invisiblish

[10337]Jan 31, 2013
    Not really, the most powerful beings have been powerful since childhood; Aizen, Ichimaru, Ichigo, Hitsugaya. All of them were shown to be powerful as children. Why should Zaraki be any different?

It's pretty amazing though... he has been weakening himself even before the Science division helped him do so. It explains why he continued to grow in strength after losing to Ichigo, returning to his former self explains that plot hole well. Especially with his fight against Nnoitora and Yami.

I get the feeling Zaraki won't be receiving a Zanpakuto. I am still hoping, but it is waning now

MatejDijanin

[10338]Jan 31, 2013
    invisiblish wrote:
    Not really, the most powerful beings have been powerful since childhood; Aizen, Ichimaru, Ichigo, Hitsugaya. All of them were shown to be powerful as children. Why should Zaraki be any different?

It's pretty amazing though... he has been weakening himself even before the Science division helped him do so. It explains why he continued to grow in strength after losing to Ichigo, returning to his former self explains that plot hole well. Especially with his fight against Nnoitora and Yami.

I get the feeling Zaraki won't be receiving a Zanpakuto. I am still hoping, but it is waning now

I ment more in the sense of him being already powerful enough to defeat a previous kenpachi.. All the characters that you mentioned indeed were really powerfull as children, but I think that they weren't to zaraki's degree.. Anyhow, I also think that zaraki learning the name isn't gonna happen simply because if he already is this powerfull, that added power of shikai(and especially a posible bankai which increses the strenght 5 to 10 times) would just be an insane overkill for the obvious reason, although even that is possible i guess. Anyhow I'm looking forward to see how will it end...

Fishbulb13

[10339]Jan 31, 2013
    Considering how powerful Juha Bach is implied to be, Zaraki with a bankai may not even be enough. I guess we'll have to see what route the story takes in that regard.

invisiblish

[10340]Feb 2, 2013
    Zaraki's story only differs from everyone else in the sense that he had been getting weaker until meeting Ichigo. After their fight, he has continued along the same path as everyone else, little stronger here and there