Ichigo Dies! Orihime, the Cry of Sorrow!

Aired Tuesday 7:00 PM May 18, 2010 on TV Tokyo

• Absolutely on par with the best of the series. When at last the music begins to hit its most somber notes and the curtain is called to be closed, Ichigo Kurosaki always rises to the challenge. What becomes of a man who needs strength beyond human?

Spoiler Alert

The big question is whether Ichigo has retained his sanity or if he has become a beast completely. If the latter is true, then there is no force within Hueco Mundo that has the capacity to stop him. At this point, I would say that it can go either way. On one hand, Ichigo has never been unable to regain his composure after something like this; as his hollowfied self within Zangetsu's world was able to escape at times, Ichigo was able to defeat him and gain full control. As he was hollowfied both in reclaiming his Shinigami powers and in gaining his Hollowfication mask, he was able to fight it off.

However, the important point now is that he has defeated the strongest adversary he needs to face; he cannot return to the world of the living (by our knowledge) to help the Shinigami and Vizard defeat Aizen. Perhaps, in gaining the ultimate strength, Ichigo's journey is at an end. What better way to end Ichigo's than to have his strength destroy him; it is poetic in every sense of the word. However, the message of bleach has never been, "Do not aim for the stars." It has always been within the human will being the strongest of all strengths and that with an unbendable will, so too will one have an unbreakable power. In all honesty, it is an unpredictable step which comes next. If I have to guess, I would say that Ichigo's strength of will wins out, but I will not be surprised if it does not. Either way, the next episode cannot be missed under any circumstances.