Bleach

A Shinigami's Work

Aired Tuesday 7:00 PM Oct 12, 2004 on TV Tokyo

• A good second episode. It's got fast-paced action, comedy, and a tad of romantic energy. We begin to get more of a feel for the main characters, and are being introduced to other minor characters.

Season one, episode two of the Bleach anime, named "Play or Pay", does a good job of continuing the primary introductions of some of the major characters.

I like the idea of having a memory altering device - it's a good artistic "trick" to keep some of the characters in the dark about some of the more intense events happening in Bleach. That way, Ichigo's identity (and Rukia as well) as a soul reaper is kept on a "need to know" basis.

The memory altering device was used on Ichigo's dad and two sisters the night before. The big hole in the front of the house made by the fighting between the Hollow and Ichigo and Rukia is perceived to have been made by a car ramming the house in the middle of the night. Pretty cool.

I also like the way Rukia Kuchiki is reintroduced in this episode. She joins Ichigo's class! The look on his face and his reaction is classic. Now Rukia has a legitimate reason to be hanging around Ichigo. When we find out later where Rukia is living is pretty funny. Not sure how she is going to get away with it, but it's funny nonetheless. I also liked the scene where we see Orihime's brother, Sora, whose spirit has been changed into a Hollow, attack Ichigo. Just after this scene, Rukia drops a bombshell - Hollows are not just monsters; they are human spirits! Human spirits/souls that have turned evil. They must be defeated and cleased, so they can move on to the Soul Society.

Well written and executed. Good camera shots, and good voice acting, both in Japanese and English. I also like the background noise, the ambient sounds heard in this episode. Things like the wind, or the sound of a passing car immerse us into the story. The combat sounds are pretty effective. On the animation side, the lip-syncing is pretty accurate, even in the English dubbed version.

Well done!