Bleach

TV Tokyo (ended 2012)

deershadow

Bleach Fan Reviews (519)

• One of the best animes I've ever seen!

One of the big four of Shonen Jump (along with Dragon Ball, Naruto and One Piece), Bleach is regarded as one of the greatest animes/mangas in recent years if not ever made. And you know what, I have to say I agree. There's so much about the show that I fell in love with. The characters, the story, the show's art style, the music, the Zanpakutos and their powers, Bleach is just a fantastic show!

There's no shortage of characters in this show, from the residents of Karakura Town, to the Soul Society, to Hueco Mundo, there's just soooo many characters in Bleach, and for the most part I like all of them. Ichigo is a great protagonist. Despite being a bit of a hardass who rarely smiles, he's pretty likable. He does care about his friends and family, and unlike the other three protaganists in the Shonen Jump Four, he's not a total dumbass, which is a nice difference between him, Goku, Luffy and Naruto. Also, his Soul Reaper powers are among the coolest in the series, with his Bankai definitely being my favorite, and Johnny Yong Bosch does an excellent job voicing Ichigo. Rukia is another amazing character, and the interactions between her and Ichigo are just golden, among the best parts of the show. Probably my favorite characters in Bleach though are Uryu, whose Quincy Powers are really cool, and Orihime, whose absolutely adorable despite being kinda useless in the beginning (fun fact, I ship these two, along with Ichigo and Rukia :)), but I pretty much love all of the six main characters. Other characters I love are Toshiro Hitsugaya, whose the best Soul Reaper Captain with an amazing Zanpakuto, Byakuya, even though he takes his job too seriously sometimes, and Kenpachi for just how crazy happy he is when he fights people. Hell, even most of the bad guys were pretty cool, with Grimmjow, Nelliel (though she's not bad), Coyote Starrk and Tier Harribell being my favorite Espadas.

Bleach's art style and animation are also extremely good. The fights look fluid without cheapening the animation, the colors really pop, and the designs of Soul Society and Hueco Mundo look amazing. Another thing about Bleach that I love is the music. Not even just the opening and endings, but also all the different kinds of instrumentals that play during the fights throughout the show, from rocking guitars, to sexy-sounding flamenco songs, and the creepy melodies. There's just a wide variety of great sounding tunes. And I believe the dub is one of the best dubs for an anime that didn't come from Funimation, with most of the voices being good matches for the character their playing, especially Ichigo's and Aizen's.

However, if there's one thing I hate about Bleach, it's the insanely stupid amounts of filler! Now, not all filler is bad. As long as it doesn't go on forever or interrupt important storylines, than I'm likely to give it a chance and even like it (DBZ and One Piece being great examples of this). But other than the Bount and Assault sagas, I hated the filler in Bleach because they committed both sins I mentioned earlier. Do you know how annoying it was to go from the amazing Ichigo/Grimmjow battle, into a pointless twenty episode storyline set in some kind of alternate universe, or immensely enjoying the final battles in the Fake Karakura Town, looking forward to the next episodes only to watch two or three episodes that were made strictly for comedy before going back? You know how annoying that got? INSANELY ANNOYING! However, I do give the Bount saga a pass because it did take place between major storylines, but that's the only one.

Apart from the filler though, Bleach is simply amazing! It has a great story, great characters, great animation, fantastic fight scenes, and just a great balance of action, humor and drama. It's a show I'd highly recommend and I pray that they'll bring the show back for the Wandenreich saga, cause that arc is fantastic.