Bleach

Rukia's Battle Begins! The Freezing White Blade

Aired Tuesday 7:00 PM Feb 28, 2007 on TV Tokyo

• Talk talk and more talk!

The pre party to the fights. As always even though you're expecting an action packed episode packed with nothing but fights, it is packed with a lot of talking. Sure explaining how Rukia getting back her Shinigami powers is important, but to go into extensive unnecessary detail, eating up the airtime of the episode, leaves a dissatisfying taste, as interesting as it was to find out how Rukia did get her powers back. And then there were some other dumb small talk throughout the episode, but fortunately in this episode's case, the strengths far outweigh the weaknesses. Whatever action there was, it was exciting.
  • AWESOME episode!! Rukia totally rocks!!

OMG!!!!!!! This like an awesome episode, it is one of my favorites. So the Arrancar are all going after people even wit the smallest spiritual pressure. Rukia, Toshiro, Rangiku, Ikkaku, Renji, and the pretty boy, lol all came to the world of the livivng and are currently going to Ichigo's school. Rukia is living with Ichigo of coure, ewwww I wonder what they do at night especially when she was in his closet.... Rangiku is with Oriheme, Renji is with Uruhara, and baldy, pretty boy, and toshiro are on there own. So the Arrancar all start to come after them and everyone is getting ready to fight. Ichigo and Rukia come across an arrancar, forgot his name, And Ichigo starts battling him. But Rukia tells him to let her fight. She turns into a Soul Reaper and Ichigo gets surprised, that she regained her powers. Rukia's gigai is so funny she just jumps at Ichigo and talks all babyish. But anyway Rukia starts fighting the Arrancar. And she DESTROYS him completely!!! It Was soooo AWESOME!!! Her zanpakto is said to be the most beautiful in all the soul society. She is actually supposed to be ranked higher than what she was but Byakuya didn't want that because it was too dangerous. The episode leaves off with Grimjow saying he's goging to fight Ichigo and Rukia. And Ikkaku's battle with another arrancar commences.
  • hey! this 'un's pretty good!

LOTS OF ACTION! a small group of 'rebel Arrancar' attack Karakura Town!! woweee!! how interesting! this is much better than the average show!! ahaaaahahhaa! don't you all just want to know what happens next to the Arrancar? eheheheheee... but what a beautiful zanpakutou rukia possesses! wahhh! but everyone else.... IS DOOMED??!! noooooo! we really must hope for the best! ahaha... poor Keigo- Ikkaku really went though on him, huh? ahaha... but it's sorta one-sided... because Ikkaku-san was gonna finish him up, anyways! mm, well... let's watch on and see what happens next with everyone! .. aww.. i wanna see what happens with hitsugaya and everyone else's battles.. have fun, everyone! :)
  • don't want to

OMFG!!!! this episode was the greatest!!!
    mainly becacuse after years(well, not really) of waiting to finally see rukia's first initial release it's here!!!
    yay...this is my fav. episode out of all the bleach episodes right now. yay..... im so happy. yay...yay...yay.stupid word count thing...grumble grumble. reviewing reviewing . whistles whistles. 100 qwords 100 words 100 words 100 words 100 words 100 words 100 words 100 words 100 words 100 words 100 words blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah ...wasting all my time....doo do doo do doooooooo... there... almost finshied.... just a few more..... come on... and im there! yes >.< ^.^
  • The little touches that place BLEACH a cut above the rest shine in this otherwise mediocre plot-incubation episode. Poorly balanced, there is less action and more setting up fights. Worth watching just for Rukia's shikai, however!

Nobody can argue that Rukia's shikai isn't beautiful. However, that is not enough to carry an entire episode. The pacing felt really off in this episode, with many short monologues leaving Arrancar enemies floating in midair and simply... waiting. The audience is forced to wait, too. Really, this episode is a continuation of the end of the last episode, where many fights are set up but no big action occurs. Of course, all good storylines must have some development before they get going. It's a necessary evil. That being said, it is the way BLEACH handles the plot incubation that makes it stand out among other, similar anime. For example, I love the way Ichigo grabs the D-Roy's hand. I knew it was coming and it was still awesome. Rukia's soul candy is amusing and promises to be a fun diversion for many episodes to come. Again, I love the guitar music played during Arrancar fight scenes. Ichigo turning his back on Chad was probably the biggest development in the whole episode, and it was heartbreaking. Ichigo needs to learn to make himself stronger while still relying on his friends. I have a feeling he's going to learn that lesson the hard way over the course of the next arc. The fact that Hitsugaya's arm is too short to draw his sword has always bothered me. Now, we see the resolution of that problem: the sheath simply dissolves into spirit particles when he needs to draw the sword from his back. The bit with Keigo is a nice scene, too, if poorly animated. His character helps remind us that the real world keeps going on around these supposedly invisible events. Further, the fact that Keigo can see Afro-gami is another sign of the slipping balance between Soul Society and other powers...
  • The Arrancar begin an assault on anyone with reiatsu, setting up several battlegrounds between the Shinigami and the hollow who have crossed into Shinigami powers.

And finally, we see Rukia's power! It was pretty obvious to me that the artists took time to make her appearance unique and nicely animated, aka the title talking about a few minutes of this episode. Keigo finds himself at the wrong place once again, hinting towards his involvement with future reiatsu-related events (add his role in Bounto especially makes it suspicious). A problem with putting all these events in one episode is that we see nothing about the Vaizard nor Ishida; both have disappeared. Nevertheless, the switching from Rukia's battle to Ikkaku was smooth enough. Art gets high points due to the Arrancar's mighty powers, leading to a good cliffhanger over each Shinigami's ordeal. A perfect episode minus point one.
TOON