Blood+

May Tomorrow Be a Clear Day

Aired Sunday 1:30 AM Feb 24, 2008 on Adult Swim

• Nathan visits Solomon who then tries to kill Diva. Diva puts a beatdown on Solomon. Mao sets up Kai to spend quality time with Saya. Hagi does chores. David wants to get back intot he fight, reconciles with Julia. Lewis wants pudding. Political subtext.

This episode is fantastic. I'll give it a 10 on the obligatory rating system. There's a lot things going on in this ep: Solomon's disheveled desperation, Diva's babies, Julia is officially back on the team, Hagi's domestic responsibilities, Mao trying to set up a love connection between Kai and Saya, Saya's regret. Oh, yes, and of course, Kai having to buy feminine hygiene products for Mao; oh, the look on his face when he sees Mao's list...priceless. And in the very end, we learn of the promise shares between Hagi and Saya so long ago. Wow, they packed all that into 25 minutes. Van Argeno's quote comes to mind, "Fear and illusion are the essence of the United States." But can that not be said to be true of all governments? We don't see a lot of political subtext since the first 6 eps. That is a bit of a change. And the monologue by Mao towards the end, then countered by Hagi, was interesting as well; again I think of the old quote "Together we stand, divided we fall"...this concept has come up a number of times since ep 32. Wow, Dive sure made short work of Solomon. The short exchange between Saya and Hagi while sitting on the front steps of the apartment was touching...they hold hands briefly and Saya thanks him. She isn't very affectionate, so when she does small things like that, it really sticks in my mind.
  • The key to the past and future.

Other that the plot with Diva developing. This episode is a little more on the calmer side. This is an episode that is this time focused more on character interaction and not so much on the plot this time. I find this a good thing because Saya and Kai are coming close to that point where things in their relationship will change forever. In a way there is sort of a bittersweet sensibility. Mao being the good friend she is to Saya supports her by make a list of things for Kai to by and getting him to take Saya with him. We see she enjoys playing the matchmaker role for both of them but their is of course a bit of a sadness, it really feels like she should of been the one to go with Kai.

But of course the time both of them have is sweet and feels mature both are acually looking at each other a lot differently but as we see Saya doesn't feel completely right about it as if she is the wrong person and she's right. Kai though we see as ususal positive about the whole thing but I always felt in a way his weakness is he's not always completely honest with himself, you can say he has a bad habbit of being slightly delusional. It's obvious he loves Saya but may'be not as deeply as he thinks. At least in this episode he does explore those feelings a bit.

There is one interesting moment where Kai gives Saya the key to the old shop they had back then, and talks about going back after their mission is finished. And we see Saya looking at it but of course she doesn't really give an answer to Kai, because she already knows the answer, which is she can't. Because of not just her destiny but she doesn't share the same feelings as him, the key to the past and future doesn't belong to her but someone else's hands and only that person can unlock it.