Blue Bloods

Friday 10:00 PM on CBS Premiered Sep 24, 2010 In Season

TesserT

Blue Bloods Fan Reviews (184)

• Return of Blue Bloods

Yay! I can't wait.

Desperately searching for something to occupy my mind while unemployed, I've been binge watching anything I can find which translates to anything even remotely palatable on Netflix, most recently including the cop melodrama, Blue Bloods. I've found its fictional NYC world of cops peculiarly familiar, addictive and calming. Up until the past week, I'd been limiting my bingeing to several episodes per day, making the supply last. Last night, the clock ran out, so I'm turning to writing about it.

During one of the last episodes of Season 7, the Reagan family goes around the table voicing what each might like to do in retirement. Now in my own premature retirement, I'd often thought of returning to "the road not taken" my undergraduate major, film criticism. Having wasted a couple of hundred hours watching Blue Bloods, I was curious to see what other viewers were saying. What I found, upon a superficial casting among just a few websites, was both a confirmation of my own reactions to a few characters, and reassurance, (if you could call it that) that my own "willing suspension of disbelief" about the relationship of Blue Blood's plots to any quantifiable level of reality is less than the acceptance by some viewers of Blue Blood's world and the characters in it as reality. Even in our dystopian, dumbed down Internet world, this comes as a somewhat frightening shock. An ex-cop commenting on the show finds too much shooting and too much liberal thinking going on. Everyone hates Nicky. Danny's offspring are non-starters. From there, the road diverges, but there seems to be little recognition of the show and its characters as fictional reviewers are too busy judging and commenting upon the character, politics and career choices of the seemingly too-real Reagans. But I digress I didn't come here to review the reviewers so let me get on with my own review. Let's start with what I like, and why I like it.

Tom Selleck OK, he's not perfect, but as he often quotes "not perfect doesn't disqualify good as an acceptable cop metric" or something like that. I love Frank Reagan's costumes really old, old school 3-piece suits, cardigans (with those funky old closures you haven't seen in twenty years but recognize) and even Frank's casual wear is wooly urban lumberjack. Everything he wears is impeccably nurdy. He clearly hasn't been shopping in decades; gotta love that. The Commissioner is still easy on the eyes at 72 but what happened to his hair-do? Its distressingly punk. Well, OK, it is New York. I found myself wondering what kind of face the mustache was hiding. And wondering if Frank would ever experiment with a different trim job. As an actor, let's say he could use greater diversity in his facial expressions/body language. Scrunching up his mouth and turning those stunning baby blues away from the camera in a downward glance telegraphs a man trying to contain his feelings in a very shorthand way, but it's overused. Maybe some of this narrow range could be attributed to a script that relentlessly frustrating to the Commissioner, but still might some of this boiling and barely-contained frustration be attributed to too many layers of worsted or a too-tight vest? I can't help but like Frank despite his crusty, stolid countenance. He's loving, brave and apparently straight. He is always fair and struggles hard to come up with comforting answers to life's toughest problems. He likes his whiskey and is loyal to his Catholic faith. He has good pals within and without the ranks of the police force he bosses. Frank Reagan is the kind of fantasy father many Irish American sons and daughters would have liked to have. And what's wrong with that? In Selleck's private life, it appears that he has ascribed to many of the same traditional core values as Frank Reagan. Over a long career, a 30-year marriage and showing involvement in philanthropy, Selleck seems like a consistently straight arrow and a very non-Hollywood dude. One Frank Reagan would like. Refreshing in today's sheep-like hipster celebrity culture.

My favorite, of course, is Jamie. So sweet, so true blue, so young, so honest. What, really, is there not to like about Jamie? He's educated, (Harvard law, no less) soft spoken, a good shot and so remorseful when he has to kill a perp. But most comments bemoan his seeming lack of ambition. Jamie is content, so he says, to remain at the bottom of the police totem pole, a beat walking cop. He does have some perks, however among them, a curvaceous, irreverent, outspoken blonde partner, who overtly announces her feelings for him. He admits the same, and they agree to remain in the closet about their mutual admiration. They're the comic relief team of the show and do it well. I find myself hoping that Jamie could evolve not to the rank of his father or grandfather, but to create his own role within the ranks as a trainer/educator of cops. I thought it was going that way with his appointment to a commission regarding police interaction with the mentally ill, but this thread wasn't developed. Not dramatic enough, probably.

Then there's Danny. It's a lot harder for me to love a workaholic with a permanent 5 o'clock shadow. Danny shoots, shouts and always ends up on the short end of the shtick, so it seems. He's an underdog posing as the martyr, giving us flashes of selflessness as well as arrogance. Danny's character, and that of his partner, Baez, are to me the least believable roles in the show. Baez well, let's just say she puts on her lipstick with a shovel and her lines with a repeat button. And those ringlets, eyes rolling, characteristic head tilt expressing what? Confusion, it would seem. Whoa! Her predecessor was SO much more interesting, everyone agrees. If the writers haven't changed, the contrast between Danny's two partners is a study in the magic good acting works on a tepid script.

Erin permanently frowning, conflicted, self-righteous, unhappy. Yuck! And what is up with her wardrobe? As the highest paid of the siblings, she shops at TJ Max? Really? Soooo unimaginative. I won't even mention the hair. Erin seems incapable of relaxing or enjoying life. She needs a new job, clearly.

Linda icky baby doll, but her character seems to be deepening a bit, now that she's been shot.

Her kids overfed and under scripted.

Henry those are not his real teeth, are they? And he needs some new lines, too. Henry's best moment was when he was dating a gold digger before Erin swooped down and arrested her.

Joe, missing though he has been forever, may be the most interesting Reagan of them all! And being dead, he has the advantage of exhibiting no flaws at all!

So I want to answer the Slate mag's critic who states unequivocally that the show is merely pablum for aging white racists. I am aging and white, but I am no more of a racist than than Slate's critic. That said, I also was surprised at Blue Bloods' depiction of the criminal element as more often black than white. In the post Black Lives Matter era, how dare Hollywood tell this truth? However, it's the same reason robbers target banks that's where the money is. As Commissioner Reagan points out, the high arrest/incarceration/shooting ratio of minority perps is not because of racism. It's because the highest incidence of crime is by minorities. Instead of just calling racist, why not point out the reason why that is the case? Generational poverty and institutional discrimination, mainly. And its effects: poor education, poor housing, poor social/cultural values, single parent homes, drugs are to blame for that not racist cops. Sure, there are racist cops and racist perps. But cops put their lives on the line every day by going into dangerous situations as part of their job. For which they are not well paid, supported nor respected. Perps are simply doing what they choose to do on their own behalf, not to protect anyone else. And they're most often doing it to one another.

Every perception is in the eye of the beholder. I enjoy Blue Bloods, as flawed as it is, because it portrays a fantasy that allows me to see a situation I wish existed, knowing it probably never has. It's a gritty, modern fairy tale of an imaginary and noble family dynasty coping with a very difficult world. We know the dangerous, destructive world of crime exists and I, for one, wish the Reagans did, too. I'm so happy to learn that Season 8 is coming up. Though I won't be able to watch it until it shows up on Netflix, it gives me some hope that a real minority perspective can still find enough viewers to survive on prime time. Speaking as an aging, white lover of justice, moral superiority and fiction, that is. And the daughter of a smoke eater, as well.

• Clever way to bring some FRESHNESS to the series!

I love the series but a really tired of seeing Jamie as a patrol officer year after year! People don't want to promote him because of what it might look like. His own Father says he's gifted. Also Jamie says he's not sure of his direction. It has been long enough . . . Thus . .

Well, what better way to help Jamie but to have him work for another agency where he can get some promotions and then come back to the NYPD as something much higher than a patrol officer. This is the way around Frank's issue and Jamie's indecision.

It could come out that Frank arranges the new job. It could start as a temporary assignment to the FBI and then turn into a full time job. The job would be in NYC and involve working with the NYPD, but would allow him to become a full agent and then even a special agent.

After he makes special agent, the FBI lends him back to the NYPD and Frank gets a recommendation for the NYPD to hire Jamie back as say a 1st grade Detective or even a Lt. Detective. Maybe this doesn't happen in real life, but the series needs to do something with Jamie and being just a patrol office.

While I don't want to see the series end, I would love to see Jamie in a position to - some day - follow in his Father's and Grandfather's foot steps.

Letting Jamie work for another agency would bring more stories into the mix and inject fresh directions to the writers.
  • Best show on the air currently

Scripts, characters and acting all great. I wish they would have a few story lines that last for multiple episodes like they did with Joe's killer and the Thomas Wilder thread.
  • Saying grace at dinner

Catholic grace begins with "Bless us oh lord AND these thy gifts not "... FOR these thy gifts When you say "FOR" you imply that YOU are giving God the gifts. Blue Bloods is my favorite TV show. Any Tom Selleck show is GREAT!!
  • blue bloods

Blue bloods is a great cop show. I like all the characters. I want 2 b a police officer when I grow up but I can't because I have Epilepsy which means I have seizures.
  • Best Show in Thirty Years!

Blue Bloods is testimony that great entertainment does not need graphic violence, sex or language to capture an audience. Creative screenwriting for its characters, intriguing plots and family situations we can all relate to; these and more have renewed my faith that network TV can still come up with something authentic. Keep em coming!
  • creates a sense of intimacy

Great Show! Great Characters! What I like is how the family is multi-generational public safety. I love the family dinners. I love the karma from Steve Schirripa & Bridget Moynahan - I think they are perfect together! I don't care for Donnie Wahlberg and Will Estes arguing (too much negative tension). The questions from the children are terrific! Nice family show tied into running a great city. I like Blue Bloods alot and really look forward to the new episodes.
  • How can you not love this show

This show has a great combination of actors (Tom Selleck) and a very pretty actress in Bridget Monyahan

It sometimes is a bit goofy but then again that brings levity to the show.

There is usually a decent plot of which the good guys always win.

Sometimes we can figure it out and sometimes there is a twist.

It's a great relaxing show on Friday night
  • Drinking

Love the show! But why do you have to show so much drinking in the family?
  • Great Show To Watch

When you look at a show like Blue Bloods you see the close bond between the whole family and then as it branches out into each individual family, arguments between brother and sister aswell father and son etc..

You see money troubles through the episode, aswell as work arguments, which makes this show fit in to reality so easy aswell as relateable to the real world. This show gives out a great vibe with outstanding work done by all of the actors, they couldn't have chosen any better actors for this show.

When you look at the episodes created and take each of the characters in the show individually you can see how they have grown (Through learning and struggles) to where they are in the show at this moment.

The episodes of this show is verry basic but with a twist, you get a look in every characters day to day work and lives.

I really hope that they match Jamie and Eddie and grow these two characters together as a couple and aswell as in their professional lives, you can clearly see that there is a love/relationship build up between these two characters and I hope to see that happening soon.

All in all this is a great show.

• Great Show!!!!

This show is very detailed and is sure to include stories/events for each character. It is extensively thorough when solving crimes and any wrongful issues. It shows people that doing the right thing should always be demonstrated. If you are not interested in it, then you shouldn't watch it.. let alone take the time to write a bad review or opinion about it.
  • Give us some flashbacks!!

Surely I can't be the only one who wants to see what the family was like when Mary and Joe were still alive or Erin and Jack were still married. I would love to see some of the history of the show and I would particularly like to see Joe before he was killed and how he got into the situation he did.

I adore this show and everytime something bad goes on in NY, I keep looking for Frank Reagan to take charge. :)
  • blue bloods

I just started watching Ble Bloodsthanks to my m and I am hooked, I love the stories, writing, action, Donny Walbuger plays his role so believeable it's crazy, I love the whole cast, the praying at the dinner table all of it. Now we have netflix and we are watching a marathon
  • my favorite

Blue Blood is my favorite show. It is a great family show. I love the ENTIRE cast, but Danny is my favorite. A faithful and loving husband,an excellent father,son,brother and detective. He is protective of and stands up for his family and his partner. And I heard that he is a musician/singer in addition to being an actor. Will there any new episodes made. I want to see more.
  • LOVE This Show

This is one of my favourite shows on TV at the moment. I hang out all week for it.
  • My favorite Gal

Jennifer Esposito was great in this show. What happened to her? She played that part to the "T". The gal that plays Niki (Simi Gayle) is the worse. Take her off. Otherwise, this is the greatest show ever!
  • Could quite possibly be the best series currently on TV!

There are only three shows that I regularly watch and Blue Bloods sits at the very top of that short list. It is well written and directed. The acting is superb across the board. Tom Selleck is his normal flawless self but the fact that every other regular cast member is great doesn't hurt either. The combination of actors, writers, producers, and directors on this series simply cannot be improved upon. I think I'd hold-off dying an hour just so I could watch one more episode of Blue Bloods.
  • Praise the Lord and pass the potatoes!

Love this show! Never miss it. BUT, I am bothered at meal time! Although they say "Grace before Meals" on a regular basis, like all good Catholic families should, they are not saying it correctly.

It should be:

"Bless us Oh Lord, AND these thy gifts which we are about to

They say:

"Bless us Oh Lord, FOR these thy gifts which we are about to

Please correct this annoying error.
  • Blue Bloods

Love this show... I consider it one of the best I have ever watched!
  • Best shows ever this year

Your writers are amazing and so current with what is going on in the country. I love the moral family core of all of the decisions as well.
  • Astonishing!

Great story line it has great actors, plots and writing.

I lobe the fact the shows creator(s) aren't afraid to mention hard topics like religon. Our culture is losing our faith & I absolutely love that the show involves faith and the family dinners are great it's an amazing show. One of my favorites! Keep it up!
  • Lessons that can make your life better

Last night's episode (8/29/2014) has some lessons that can make your own life better. There were two scenario's that demonstrated how our brains do not show us an actual fixed reality and one that highlighted that the more stressed we are, the less accurate the reality we perceive becomes.

SPOILER ALERT:

In one case, a mentally challenged man unsuccessfully tried to stop a teenage girl from committing suicide and was caught on video, where his actions were initially perceived as pushing her to her death. It would have been so easy for him to be convicted of murder for his attempted good deed because the viewers of the video initially perceived him as a killer. Their brains interpreted the video in line with their expectations, even after being told he was not the type of person to ever do that sort of thing.

The second scenario involved a young cop whose report of her first felony arrest differed slightly from a video a citizen sent in. There was nothing wrong with the arrest, no excessive force, etc. But when she filed her report there was a factual error about where stolen property was recovered from that differed from the video. I won't tell you how Frank got the DA's office to agree not to fire her and come over to his viewpoint by demonstrating that the brain's recollection of events may not be 100% accurate, especially when a life or death situation but I thought it was brilliant.

I loved that the show brought this aspect of our brain's into the show--the inaccurate ways we perceive reality. Researchers have long shown that eyewitness reports are the least reliable type of evidence but most people assume this is because of dishonesty on the part of witnesses with ulterior motives, but the truth is that our brains are not designed to show us They show us a filtered reality and the filters determine how we perceive every given situation. The filters can be adjusted and how they are set can make the difference between a good life and a crummy life.

I teach how to people about these filters and how to adjust them so they can thrive more but the biggest hurdle most people face is they believe their brains show us reality so I am delighted to see the fallacy of this demonstrated so well on Blue Bloods.

I also love this show. I turned my TV off in 1995 and did not watch TV again until 2013. I still watch very little but this show draws me back again and again. I love how strong the family is even when they disagree with one another. I love Tom Selleck in this roll. I wish I could talk to the detective because I know I could help him (I realize he is just a character, but his war wounds represent a lot who are suffering I also love that they show the Sunday dinners every week because that is one of the things that makes the family so strong and connected with one another.
  • Totally in love!

I love, love this show. I love all the characters and the acting is great. I love the sibling interactions, and the 'family' connectedness and the real life issues. Keep up the good work.
  • Made for the role

George C. Scott was destined for "Patton". Marlon Brando was created for "The Godfather". Tom Selleck was born the Commissioner in "Blue Bloods". The only thing distracting is the constant pursing of his lips!
  • great show

Was a great show, I like Jamie's new partner
  • Day One Fan

Please stop playing musical partners with Danny , just bring Jackie back . The End .
  • Outstanding series

My favorite because of all of it's excellent dynamics. Please agree to at least 100 seasons! Why not?!!!!
  • you are the best!

Thank you so much for this thoughtful family thriller! I look forward to seeing each character and what is happening in their lives. So much more than a typical cop show! I totally agree with one of the reviewers - traditional family values, listening to each other - missing so terribly in most tv shows! Keep up the good work - writers, producers, actors, and all who make this show a delight to watch!
  • First comment ever on TV show!

I've never ever commented online about any show, because TV in general doesn't interest me. This show is fantastic. I was first attracted to Blue Bloods when I saw the family pausing for grace at meal time. It's got what's missing from other TV shows: solid, traditional family values, morals, work ethic, altruism, and a religiosity that is not in-your-face. Everyone is cast well, including the kids. My wife and I watch every week.
  • Professional all the way

What a pleasure to see a well-written, -directed, and -acted show on network. Each script is tight, plausible, and responsible, the cast is wonderful, and the production values are top drawer. Kudos to all involved. While I agree with some other reviewers that Donnie Wahlberg's character is a little over the line sometimes, this week's "anger management" episode shows that his personality issues are part of the "story arc" the writers have been developing over time. Each week, the characters grow a little and give the actors more to work with. Excellent, and well worth making a part of your Friday night.
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7