Blue Heelers

One Day More (Part Two)

Aired Wednesday 8:30 PM Jun 04, 2006 on Seven Network

• The faithful old dog did its faithful old tricks one last time.

The final episode of Blue Heelers was very much in the vein of BH for the last thirteen seasons; a cast of characters with good comaraderie banding together against the Mean, By-the-Books Falcon-Pryce; Tom ponders his health and family; they all look to go their seperate ways before getting a last minute reprieve.

Adam Cooper is back in town, hell-bent on renege for the shabby way he was booted off the force eight years ago. He specifically wants revenge of Tom, and goes about setting him up. In typical Heelers style, Tom appeals to Adam's softer side, urging him to find redemption through confession, not revenge.

In the meantime, Adam's accusations are all Falcon-Pryce needs to have the station closed down again. When Tom's name is cleared, it gets reopened. I thought this was a little contrived, I would have liked to have seen the station closed and them go their seperate ways.

Tom's struggling with his cancer, and meets a young woman in the final stages of breast cancer. They spend a few days together and he realises the value of life and family, and reconciles with his estranged daughters.

It was a typical sweet, reminiscing episode with a happy ending that BH is, for the most part, known for. I couldn't see them doing anything more bangy, like the station being blown up again or Tom dying. It was nice to see Adam back, although I would have liked to have seen more characters return. PJ was the obvious choice, given he's still in Victoria and still in the force, but it would have been nice to have seen Ben, Nick, Dash, Tess etc back as well.

I liked the bit at the end where they recapped the most memorable moments of the show, although I would have liked to have had that go longer. Two minutes doesn't really do justice to a show that's run for 500+ episodes, does it?

Overall, a pleasant episode with a happy ending, just what I expect from Blue Heelers.