Blue Mountain State Forums

Spike TV (ended 2011)

Season 01 was awsome! S02 stinks big time!!!

globus999

[1]Nov 14, 2010
    • level: 1

What happened????

Did the writers change or has there been some "pressure" from "above" to water down and make the show more "serious"???

What happened to all the boozing, sex and uncompromising jokes???

Huh??? I don't recognize the show anymore.

Also, the new characters stink!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Slash_out

[2]Nov 15, 2010
    • level: 5
    It's just the same stuff... There is even more sex and uncompromising jokes now.
    Nothing changed at the exception of the new character.

fzirkzee

[3]Nov 16, 2010
    • level: 5

don't know what you're talking about! still Awesome!!

tv-obsessed

[4]Nov 18, 2010
    • level: 4
    Totally agress still extremely funny. Maybe the first ep wasn't as good?

Sirique

[5]Nov 20, 2010
    • level: 14

I think the writers just realized they can't just do a teen comedy like movies such as american pie, it wouldn't last very long as a TV show.. Every show needs to have at least some characters development and that's what is happening in season 2.

Edited on 11/20/2010 5:38am

PatrickLam1

[6]Jan 7, 2011
    • level: 1
    I think that season 2 is better than season. My first reason is that there is more Thad I love that guys he is so freaking hilarious. Second Raydon the new guy takes a little to warm up to but after wards he is freaking awesome way better than the old character. The only thing that makes me not like this show is Sammy he is so stupid and annoying and every time I hear his voice I want to rip my own ears out.

J-ni11

[7]Jan 17, 2012
    • level: 11

globus999 wrote:

What happened????

Did the writers change or has there been some "pressure" from "above" to water down and make the show more "serious"???

What happened to all the boozing, sex and uncompromising jokes???

Huh??? I don't recognize the show anymore.

Also, the new characters stink!

I agree wholeheartedly. The show definitely lost some luster between seasons. Now let me explain. I stumbled upon this show and though its not my usual cup of tea I fell in love with it. I marathoned season 1 in like a day or 2 and I was pumped for season 2. After the first few episodes I realized what the problem was. Actually "problems". 1st) The loss of Sam. Any writer worth their salt knows that for low brow humor jokes like the ones this show employs you need a straight man for the joke to be bounced off of. Though any character can be "used" as a straight man for any particular joke having a character who is designed for this purpose is best and Sam was that person in BMS. Because of his different morals and integrity when jokes were made that went against his morals and you saw the expressions on his face or his reactions subconsciously you could go "ha, this guy doesn't get it. I understand and agree but because he's a square he doesn't. Squares are missing out on the kind of fun guys like Thad, Alex and I have". The loss of his character was a blow for the series for sure and they probably should have just replaced him with a similar character but they didn't and that's ok because of reason number 2... 2nd) The sophomore slump. I'm sure you've heard of it. When shows enter a second season they are faced with the problem of trying to keep what worked about the 1st season while introducing new elements to prevent the show from getting stale. The show made a few changes in this season and they can't be blamed for that but not all of them worked. For instance characters weren't consistent all season in an effort to give them development for example Alex suddenly not wanting to have sex with Mary Joe because he knows her even though he's had no problem with being unscrupulous about his sexual exploits before, Raidon going from being a jerk to everyone, a friendly jock, to a nerd!!?? Thad has always been a passionate captain but in season 2 he became a complete douche even jeopardizing his teammates at times like when he injured Raidon. Though I will say Thads relationship with Alex did progress