Blue's Clues

Blue's Birthday

Aired Weekdays 10:30 AM Unknown on Nickelodeon

• My fave episode

I got this on VHS when I was Five or so and my little brothers and sister like to watch it all the time now. I love it! There is no way any other episode can inpress me as much as this one! On my 6th birth day we told everyone to sing "Present time, present time! Open the present and see what's inside!" while I opened my presents. I could probably recite the whole thing if I tried, I loved that VHS so much. The other day my mother told me to throw it out. I hid it in the garage, so we litterally watch it every day.
  • I can’t go a week without my little pup demanding to watch this episode at least once or twice.

The video for Blue’s Birthday has an interesting twist where a group of three preschool kids are watching Steve on a TV, and then he actually skidoos to them, asking them to teach him a dance. Of course Steve botches up the dance much to the grins and giggles of his teachers. That’s just fun to see and always gets a laugh on multiple viewings. The song is addictive too.

The rest of the episode is run of the mill Blue’s Clues. I did like the animation of Blue and friends are playing musical chairs, while Steve continues on his usual clue finding and interacting with the audience. That and the shading around the balloons are nice reasons why CGI is fun. The “present in a present” skit was okay on TV, but one of my friends recently did that same trick with my little pup but we really didn’t have the patience for it.

Educational values are on par, with Blue’s party favor gift for Steve and friends being a nice lesson to teach kids.