A Boardwalk Empire Community
HBO (ended 2014)
With Purnsley dead, Chalkie confides in Nucky about Narcisse's true nature. Not wanting to unnecessarily aggravate their new business partner though, Nucky tells Chalkie to let him talk to him before taking matters into his own hands. Nucky is perplexed that once again Chalkie is bringing problems to his doorstep, and cannot believe that Chalkie still thinks he owes him a favour. Het turns to Eli about what should be done about Valentin (who may have been subtly fishing for more information on Nucky's going-ons now that he may or may nor be an informant for Knox and the Bureau of Investigation), and it becomes evident that Nucky does not need more trouble by siding with Chalkie against him.

Unfortunately for Nucky neither Chalkie or Narcisse are going to make it easy for that to happen. Narcisse viciously beats Daughter Maitland after catching her lying about Purnsley's disappearance and her infatuation with Chalkie. Chalkie receives a phone call that interrupts his daughter Maybelle's wedding planning informing him of the incident, and he goes to see Daughter, much to his family's protest.

While enjoying a comedian at The Onyx Club, Nucky is approached by Narcisse who sits down at his table without hesitation. Nucky is obviously perturbed by Narcisse brash entrance, and is concerned about the other patrons staring, but Narcisse is not, and tells Nucky that Chalkie's time is up. Before Nucky can become too defensive towards the remark, Chalkie burst into the club, threatening Narcisse. Nucky tries to diffuse the situation and tells Chalkie not to start a war against Narcisse, because it'll be a war he fights alone, before Chalkie storms off. Later, while Chalkie is comforting Daughter, the pair are interrupted my his own daughter, Maybelle, who has caught onto Chalkie's act and followed him there. Angry at finding him with another woman, she flees.

Van Alden's also having family troubles. His wife's constantly complaining about the state of their unfinished property, and she angrily scolds him for doing such tedious work for O'Banion when he could potentially earn so much more money working for him. O'Banion is none too pleased with him either, continuing to question him about the day he disappeared with the Capone's, and whether or not he knew anything about Stu's death on the same day. Van Alden goes out to deliver a wreath for O'Banion, but the receiver turns out to be none other than Al Capone, who wants to kill O'Banion and needs to know everything about his life to do so. Rather than give up this information, Van Alden indirectly takes his wife's advice - he tells Capone that he'll kill O'Banion for him for a thousand dollars. He takes a gun to work the next day, with every intention of carrying out the deed, until he is jumped by three of his ex co-workers who he sold irons door-to-door alongside side, one of whom he brandished with an iron, mutilating his face, and who now wants revenge. Poor Van Alden never can catch a break, and frustrated, he is forced to kill the three men and postpone his killing of O'Banion until later that night (and Capone pays him a very forceful visit at his home to make sure he doesn't screw it up again). That night O'Banion again questions Van Alden about Stu's death, and Van Alden snaps, telling him that Al Capone killed him, that he' killed the men earlier that day along with his prohibition partner, and that he's been posing under the alias of George Mueller. O'Banion is unmoved by his outpouring and goes to tend to customers at the front of the flower show, who turn out to be hit men who kill O'Banion, and swiftly depart. Van Alden steps over O'Banion bullet-ridden before and takes a thousand dollars out of the cash register before returning home to his wife with the money, making it clear he's the man of the house.

Julia Sagorsky, too, is forced to admit she needs one of these when the judge at the hearing regarding Tommy's adoption asks her about her martial status, and tells both her and Gillian that the case will be deliberate and decided in a month. Julia questions Harrow as to what her and her father, Paul, talk about at night, and while Harrow tells her it's only about war stories, she knows he's lying. Her father is worried about her future wellbeing, and she knows something is wrong with him, unaware he has cirrhosis, but Richard tells her that he will tell her what's wrong in time. While she is insistent in maintaining her independence she realises if she has any chance to keep Tommy, that she must marry. Richard asks who, and she tells him he wouldn't be a bad husband, and while he's initially speechless, he accepts the offer, and the pair get married at the courthouse.

Now with a family reliant on him, Richard approaches Nucky, who's concerned for his future safety after the ordeal with Chalkie and Narcisse, outside his house. He tells Nucly that he is now married, and that he needs a job. Once inside, Nucky rings Sally Wheet in Florida, waking her up. He asks her what a man does in Florida, and she tells him, whatever that man likes. He expresses interest in coming to check on the business, but she tells him business is business, nothing more.

"Marriage and Hunting" was all about drawing lines, and the dangerous potential of crossing them. Nucky is about to be caught up in a war he is desperate to keep out of between Chalkie and Narcisse, men who both have a lot to lose, but whose anger and stubbornness blur out any signs of danger for them. Van Alden threw caution to the wind, and it would seem that the quiet and dutiful George Mueller is no more, and that the Boardwalk is about to heat up for all of its characters.
Comments (30)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
It's a shame they turned such an intelligent and intriguing character as Narcisse into an ignorant woman beating low life.
Flag
Never have I been so elated to see someone shoot 3 people in the head. One scene I didn't like though was when Van Alden shouts at his 'wife' while she's holding the baby, the baby jumps, getting a fright and starts to cry. Surely they didn't distress the kid for the purpose of realistic drama.
Flag
Definitely a groundbreaking episode for his character.

I never actually thought about what they would have to do to get the child to cry. I doubt they had Michael Shannon screaming at him in reality, but they would obviously have to do something to provoke that response from him.
Flag
When he tells the guy who hits him on the back of the head that if he hits him again he would regret it, I got tingles from that, it was just like Bruce Willis in The Last Boy Scout. I'm hoping Ralph slaps him again and gets the wrath. :D
Yeah, it edits to the baby after Zod shouts (sorry his name escapes me at the moment), but they seem to scare the kid somehow for effect, the kid looks petrified before he cries.
Flag
Poor kiddo! so cute tho..
Flag

I now consider Narcisse the most hated villain of all TV drama's badass ! I mean you can killed many with a bomb (like in Homeland) or even try to poison a kid or even threaten to behead your financee as a king but NO ONE actually beat a beautiful woman you supposedly treat as a daughter to that extend ! It was so painful to watch or maybe I just loved woman too much. I think many female viewers might just be very piss off. I really felt Chalky's anger. I would have just walk over and shoot Narcisse myself if I were him.

What exactly is Narcisse business with Nucky anyway? I cannot even remember.

Van Alden is a such a fascinating and well written character. He seems so awkward and funny to watch but looking deeper, he actually embodies some part of us.

The part of us who wanted so much to follow what is considered "right" or "normal". However what works right or seems normal to others does not really worked for us. Things felt apart and we are back into a corner. That is when we start to realized the need to just be the person we need to be. All hell break loose after that.

I still cannot understand why Richard did not kill Nucky for revenge as Jimmy was sort of his best friend. I remembered him saying as Nucky killed Jimmy was business so he did not take revenge. To me quite a lame excuse by the writers. I felt it was weak. It would have been better story telling if he did tried but failed and Nucky let him go instead.

After that I have always envision how awesome it would be if Richard came to work for Nucky and finally after 4 seasons, he did ! I am truly happy with this!

The most comedic part of the episode is the gambling business with AR. I always see him as a shrewd and ruthless business man. Who would have thought he had a gambling problem. It is so funny to see him trying to make some money off Nucky with Mickey life insurance policy. He must be very desperate.

Nucky reaction was truly hilarious ! It shows the show do have some humor at times.

"It is the best investment I have made. I know of many who will killed Mickey for free. " This is more funny considering what happen last week when Mickey tried to hook up with his girl.

In some ways, I see Nucky as being quite kind. He could have chose NOT to help AR and he could have killed Mickey for trying to chat up the boss girl. It does emphasis my point that Nucky is more of a businessman than a gangster.

The final episodes are coming soon and in BE tradition (and also watching next week trailer), it would be a war ! I am ready for some actions !
More+
Flag
Narcisse aint got no business with Nucky. Its about Owney Madden, who has an alliance with Masseria. Narcisse and Madden have business together. Nucky just made peace with Masseria, so he doesnt want to rock the boat.
Daughter's beautiful and talented and all, but Chalky should see Narcisse is just using her to manipulate him. He's risking everything through his interest in her.
Flag
Thanks for reminding me. Well I would say Daughter is hard for anyone to resist and it also prove Chalky's effort did not go to waste as she chose Chalky.
Flag
She did choose Chalky, but thats still not a good thing because Chalky has his family. A lot of people could be hurt by this. Lenore already knows something's up. Thats what Maybelle & Lester were talking about. Thats why Maybelle went lookin for Chalky.

On the surface it seems like Nucky's "on a stand-down" because he's being a selfish coward, but Nucky sees the big picture. Chalky's about to ruin everything for himself.
Flag
This review feels more of a recap than anything. But yeah, Van Aldens stuff this episode was some of the best I've seen in a while. That weird smirk that he's now officially gained, the "I used to believe in god, but now I don't" line, coupled with the rest of his confession that I guess Obanion didn't likely even believe? It was all so tight, culminating in a real high point for his character. "WHO'S HOUSE IS THIS?!". Hah, so good.
Flag
Thanks for the input, I try to usually put a mix if both recap and my own thoughts into the reviews, but some weeks I get caught up in the plot more so then my own opinions!

And yeah, that scene reminded me a lot at Walter White, a 'Say my name' sort of moment for Van Alden there.
Flag
This is 'more of a recap' but i don't care. Its just something to get people talking about the show (which tv.com doesnt really seem to care about).
This was a decent episode, I expected it to be a sleeper, but it was good.
I don't know how many episodes are left but Since Narcisse wants to meet Masseria, I think This might lead to Masseria getting killed.
Flag
What is Gillian's boyfriend up to? Is he a PI, a fed or what?? Van Alden was back to his badass self & looked mighty good in his white singlet. Narcisse is the creepiest bad guy, is he a 'real' doctor or has he made up the title? Arnold is in big trouble with the gambling, wonder if Margaret will help him out, she's had nothing to do this season.
Flag
Maybe investigating Richard and the house/mobsters/war-thingy?
Flag
It is sad but seems destiny that whoever is nice to Gillian turn out to have other hidden agenda and is using her.
Flag
I imagine Nucky hired Richard on the spot... with a possible war coming, having the ultimate bad-ass as your bodyguard seems like a good choice! I mean Richard should have his own theme music when he comes on... especially after the mansion clean up of last season.
Flag
That scene was so picturesque, Richard walking out of the shadows of the beach, the waves being heard behind him.
Flag
I can see him as a replacement for Eddie
Flag
get my socks Richard!
Flag
Ant idea who sent the hit men? Because I dont see why Capone would, if he thinks Val Alden is going to kill O'Bannon
Flag
Yeah, anyone else forget that Torio was REALLY made when it was proven to him that Obanion screwed him? While some say they felt Capone jumped the gun because he felt Alden lost his nerve, don't you maybe think Torio felt the same thing at that point? After all, they didn't really look like any of Capones guys specifically.
Flag
the real o'banion was killed by capone henchman. they might lay it at torrio's feet though.
Flag
Couldn't Van Alden technically be a Capone henchman?
Probably was Capone though
Flag
Technically, yes.

Van Alden seemed ambivalent about killing O'Banion. Capone seemed to realize it too.
Flag
My thoughts exactly. I think Al would have liked to do it personally in this case, if Van Alden did not do it. Also O'Bannon was not taking any precautions. I don't think he suspected anyone in particular wanted to kill him.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members