A Boardwalk Empire Community
HBO (ended 2014)

It looks like Boardwalk Empire's Nuck has run out. HBO has announced that the upcoming fifth season of the period drama will be its last, so chug 'em while you got 'em. It's sad news for Boardwalk Empire fans as the show recently wrapped up what many consider to be its finest season to date.

HBO didn't provide a specific reason for setting an end date, but it makes sense both creatively and financially. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I'm a big fan of shows ending after five or six seasons, with plenty of advance notice and on their own accord. It tightens things up, allows for a definitive ending, and minimizes the dragging-out of plots to the point where you're stuck turning your main character into a lumberjack after he sails into a monsoon on a fishing boat. 

And if you're HBO, the Emmy attention that Boardwalk Empire has earned is great, but it isn't the type of series that brings in flocks of subscribers. On average, Season 4 drew about two million viewers per episode; compare that to True Blood's four million and Game of Thrones' five-plus million (and wave of rabid fans), and you can see why Boardwalk Empire was expendable. I'd guess that HBO will consider launching Damon Lindelof's The Leftovers after the final season of Boardwalk in hopes that The Leftovers will take over as HBO's big fall series. 

What do you think of this timing? Where would you like to see the show in the now-final fifth season?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 10/26/2014

Season 5 : Episode 8

42 Comments
Comments (51)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I Can't watch
Flag
This is Fucking Bullshit Y'all Killed off Chalky last night ,Now me As A Black man can watch anymore ,To small Diversity issue ..Guess I'll watch American Horror insted
Flag
After a season that took it sweet time to put things in order for the next season, I'm a little dissapointed that it ends This quickly.
I wanted to watch the big réunion of all the mobsters in Vegas, and more on Capone ascension.
Don't get me wrong, I trust that Terence winter wil "bring the Story Home", I just feel that 6 seasons would have been better.
But that's probably just the fan in me talking...
Flag
well that's just sad! i was hoping this would play out a little longer and tell the story of Enoch L. Johnson right to the end. i doubt that will happen In the 1 season left :(
Flag
Season 4 was really good. Its kind of sad that season 5 will be the last. Nucky Thompson did not die til a very old age in real life so the story could have continue on even till season 6 or 7. Then we have Al Capone story which would be very interesting. I doubt it will happened at all but it would be really great news if they have an Al Capone spin off. A mini-series aka limited event would be wonderful and we can have the same guy Stephen Graham as the lead. He plays a wonderful Capone ! Small but scary!
Flag
Agree with you! They could spin off the series with Al story
Flag
Really sad to see it go but least it will end on a high note, I kind of expected to see the show expand with Al Capone's exploits and the the rise of Lucky Luciano and all what he accomplished with the mob. Sad we won't see that fully realized. There's lots of room for spinoffs.
Flag
Most shows run at least a season too long, some even more. It's all about squeezing every last dollar out of a show at the expense of the story. Lost is a perfect example. That should have been 3-4 "tight" season instead of the 7 season behemoth it turned out to be, full of filler episodes that contributed nothing to the overall story.
I'm glad Homeland appears to have cut their 1st story to 3 seasons. There's nothing wrong with starting a new story, based around the same (or different) characters.
Flag
I think it is very savvy of the producers of Boardwalk Empire to make this decision. Recently we have seen shows that were kept on the air past their "expiration date", something that is has plagued TV for decades. Better to leave them wanting than become complacent.

I can honestly say that I have never questioned the quality of one single episode of BE. The cast, the writing and the production values have always been exemplary. I am certain that Mr. Scorsese and Mr. Winter will reward our loyal viewership with a final season and series finale that will be first class.
Flag
its just nice :) a little sad that its ending but all good things come to an end
Flag
It's bittersweet news. Boardwalk Empire is one of those shows that you can see going on for many more years, and as others have said, history has plenty more material to provide from that era.

But at the same time, Boardwalk also feels like a show that's been on for longer than five years. It established itself so definitively early on in its life that its characters and plots felt so refined as if the series had been on for some time. This isn't a bad thing, but unfortunately it makes the series' flaws more apparent, such as its sometimes slow pacing and stalling of plots and characters.

Having one season to wrap everything up may be a challenge for the writers, but its better than nothing, and I'm hoping an end date will add some of that urgency and tension a well seasoned show can start to lack.
Flag
Agree with this 100%.
Never felt like there was any "filler" in any season with BE. I'm actually glad it's coming to an end and that it's not going to become a drawn-out, bloated story.
Flag
Smart. Too bad Dexter wasn't as smart as B/E. We might not have had the image of Dexter The Fucking Lumberjack burned into our brains.
Flag
In a way i think it is great, i Watch to many shows, and therefore have decided to start watching the show after it's cancellation. Now i know how to spend some of my vacation-time, and i am looking forward to it since i only have watched half of the first season and i liked it.
Flag
Sad that Boardwalk Empire will end, but I think the final season will be amazing. And after that I can look forward to The Leftovers which I think will be great.
Flag
Five seasons are more than enough for a period piece IMO.
Flag
'Tis a shame, but given that the series is a period piece in which various true historical figures are portrayed (ex. Capone), it would have to end some time. Great show, and I'll be sad when it ends.
Flag
Well, I'm pretty sick and tired of Mr. Surette's jokes about the ending of Dexter. Some people actually loved the ending, so I wish he'd stop insulting those of us who did enjoy it, no matter how many, or how few. Move on, Tim.

Flag
I'm VERY CONCERNED that one season isn't enough to bring this epic to a proper resolution. Season 4 seemed to be the season to get a lot of the simmering plot lines into gear, starting the payoff that was so well deserved after the meticulous build-up. Maybe that can happen in a season or maybe the writers will have to force the issue to get it finished and let the show go off the rails. I hope not but it's hard to be optimistic.
Flag
Five seasons is enough. Sad to see it go, but glad it has a chance to go out the way it wants.
Flag
nooooooo!
Flag
I love the show but couldn't stand the last season. It was slower than usual for me, and the battle I had hoped for in the end of the season, never really took place. Harrow was the one character that it would have been nice to actual see have a happy ending. It's fine that they went the other way with it but regardless, the season as a whole was on the boring side for me.. Hopefully the final season will go out guns blazing like the way this show is meant to be and has been at its best. For me, nothing will top the season 2 finale with Jimmy and Nuck.
Flag
I keep reading bad news on this site:-(
Justified will be ending after next season and now the same thing for Boardwalk Empire. With Breaking Bad being done and these shows ending soon, you better not tell me POI is ending soon. There are some "ok" new shows but nothing spectacular like the aforementioned shows.
Flag
Dammit, I never even heard the Justified news! POI is moving up the gears rather than slowing down, so will hopefully have 2 or 3 more seasons left. Although its sad when shows end, I do feel it's better to end on a high. American TV especially has a bad habit of dragging shows long after the quality has subsided

On the other hand, Boardwalk will have to have a serious shift in pacing in Season 5 to wrap up all the loose ends in under 10hours without seeming contrived.
Flag
Poll

Flag
For some reason I want a third option to choose from in your poll.
Flag
He either will survive or not there isn't a third option here.
Flag
What if he ends up on life support? What if he fakes his own death and gets a sex change? What if he gets AIDS? What if he gets sucked into a parallel universe? It's not a real poll unless it tells it like it is.
Flag
We'll just have to agree to disagree on the definition of 'survive'.
Flag
life support = lives
sex change = lives
aids = eventually dies due to the lack of pharmacology
parallel universe = lives

all your options are covered
Flag
The question is will he survive not what will happen with him.
Flag
And I was hoping Boardwalk Empire would enter the 1930s... I think the show should only end when the 1920s decade was over.
Flag
I was hoping for one more season after the next, but if this is the way it has to be, then so be it. They are going to have to conclude everything in a satisfying way. Let's hope they can do it.
Flag
Yeah, I actually just saw via a Boardwalk Facebook post about it being the final one (and they made it sound like this has been news for a while, it was so bluntly put I was a bit shocked).

Anyway, bummer, although at least this season does look like it will be interesting. I'm not even saying it doesn't make sense to conclude it at the 5th season, but it does seem unfortunate, and I would have certainly continued to watch more of it. Last chance for whatsherface from the early seasons, the flapper dancer that had Van Aldens baby, to reappear :P .
Flag
Also, I have a bad feeling that whatever HBO will try to fill in that void won't be as good. They seem to come in waves of quality, and I think HBO may be due for a slump soon. Anyone else remember John From Cincinati?
Flag
Nooooooooooooooooooo. I'm the first person to say shows should end sooner rather then later but Boardwalk has so much story left to tell. I really wish they were giving it two more seasons. With only one season we probably won't see the fates of many characters or the end of prohibition. Not unless they do a ton of time skipping which would throw off the narration.
Flag
This is terrible.
I agree on ending on good terms is welcome but a life without Boardwalk?
Is it even possible?
Flag
Honestly, I'm shocked. I'm sure the show is stupidly expensive to produce with so many big-name actors under contract, but I thought they had set up a nice formula for the show to make a longer run. Even following Al Capone's rise alone would provide them several more years of material.

This season depicted Dean O'Banion's murder in 1924, which kicked off a five-year gang war that culminated with the 1929 St. Valentine's Day Massacre. I guess we won't see Boardwalk Empire's plot make it that far, which also means we won't meet Eliot Ness.
Flag
Maybe they will do a spin off but I doubt they will.... They really should take the show through Al Capone's rise (and the St. Valentine's Day Massacre).
Flag
Staff
I'm shockingly ok with this news.
Flag
I'm totally okay with it too. It will force the writers to hustle a bit more than they do and wrap things up in a satisfying manner. But I'm still surprised they didn't want to keep telling their sprawling story indefinitely. This may have had more to do with HBO clearing the slate for new shows, especially The Leftovers.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members