A Boardwalk Empire Community
HBO (ended 2014)

It looks like luck has finally run out for Steve Buscemi's Prohibition Era gangster Nucky Thompson.

HBO announced Thursday at the Television Critics Association summer press tour that the fifth and final season of Boardwalk Empire will debut Sunday, September 7.

After Season 4 ended with a pile of dead bodies (R.I.P. Richard Harrow), the shortened 8-episode final season will pick up during the depths of the Great Depression in 1931 and follow Nucky as he recalls his Atlantic City roots and plots for a post-Prohibition future.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 10/26/2014

Season 5 : Episode 8

16 Comments
Comments (16)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I don't know why HBO is screwing over Boardwalk Empire just as it was approaching greatness.
Flag
Greatness? the show became a snoozefest ever since they killed off Jimmy
Flag
8 episodes is really disappointing but I really hope it will end with a bang. Last season was really good.
Flag
Staff
Only 8 episodes? F*&$ You HBO.
Flag
What the hell? Read this yesterday and didnt seen that 8 episodes part, when did that happen? Im really annoyed now, cancel a great show and then cut it to 8 episodes? Come on HBO.
Flag
After the awesomeness of last season, they shortened the order for the final season? I thought its ratings peaked, must have been mistaken. WTF HBO? Oh, well guess we're not supposed to bitch and just be happy its getting a final season. (Hopefully the writers didn't break the story for an expected 10 episode season and everything gets rushed.) Does anyone know if HBO ordered 10 (per norm) then months later decided to cut the order back or did they only order 8 episodes to begin with? Hopefully its the latter.

How did this show not single EMMY nomination in any of the acting categories? Sorry, wrong place.......
Flag
This news makes the last season even more bittersweet, glad I can finally put it on my calendar, but only 8 episodes is disapoointing.
Flag
I'm assuming high production costs caused this final season to be truncated. At least they knew in advance where things were going to go, that's more than can be said for such shows as Family Tree and Hung that went out on unresolved cliffhangers.
Flag
Eight episodes? Damn
Flag
What? 8 episodes!!! WHY?????????????????
Flag
8 episodes what it needs at least 12 how are they going to fit in Chicago Capone , New York Luciano and Lansky ?
Flag
show is not really about them tho.
Flag
Well thier are part of the empire and we also like to know what tangles Nucky has with the people he assoiacte with.
Flag
I wish HBO would complete the life story , and not just end it in the 1931 era. The real life story goes beyond that year. Too bad as it was a great show.
Flag
Sad to see it's only 8 eps.
Flag
Hell yeah, best show on HBO since the Wire, sad its the last season but I know it will go out on a high, the best way.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members