Boardwalk Empire Forums

Sunday 9:00 PM on HBOIn Season

1.01, Boardwalk Empire, Official Discussion, *spoilers*

amaryllis88

[1]Sep 18, 2010
    • level: 20

This is the pilot episode of the new series: Boardwalk Empire, that airs Sunday, Sept. 19, at 8 p.m. Central / 9 p.m. Eastern on HBO.

"It's January 1920. On the eve of Prohibition, Nucky Thompson, Atlantic City's Treasurer, condemns alcohol at a Women's Temperance League meeting. This is where he is noticed by Margaret Schroeder, a pretty, pregnant housewife who comes to him for help in getting her abusive husband, Hans, a job. Later that evening, the duplicitous Nucky privately tells his ward bosses about the opportunity to make huge profits selling bootleg liquor. At a countdown-to-midnight blast at Babette's Supper Club, he assures Jimmy Darmody, a recently returned WWI vet, that his appointment as "Man Friday" to the new Chief Clerk of the Fourth Ward, Paddy Ryan, will lead to bigger things. Jimmy, meanwhile, has higher aspirations and ends up making an alliance that may have dire consequences for both him and Nucky."

Edited on 09/18/2010 8:21pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

meee223

[2]Sep 19, 2010
    • level: 8

Who was the guy in the restaurant at the end of Episode 1 who gets shot?...and why? I'm a bit confused.

Amberite

[3]Sep 19, 2010
    • level: 1

meee223 wrote:

Who was the guy in the restaurant at the end of Episode 1 who gets shot?...and why? I'm a bit confused.

He was one of the men that was part of the pivotal meeting where the bosses of NY / Chicago / Nucky decided to form a partnership and where Nucky agreed to sell the 500 crates to Rothstein. I *believe* that the person who shot him was Rothstein, but I'm not 100% sure why, as I was under the impression that the meeting was set up by another person at the table. Why Rothstein would want to shoot him for the stickup, I'm not entirely sure.

FoeHammer225

[4]Sep 19, 2010
    • level: 9

Loved the first episode! I think this is going to be another HBO classic.

Not entirely sure who that last guy was, but i think its Rothstein.

Raccoon1459

[5]Sep 20, 2010
    • level: 22
    Steve Buscemi is a really talented actor. I thought the pilot was really enjoyable. I can't wait to see the next episode.

I'm fully confident that Boardwalk Empire will win some Emmys.

ErnstMeier10

[6]Sep 20, 2010

Loved the pilot, this could well be another classic to rank alongside The Sopranos!

I think the guy that got shot at the end was Big Jim Colossimo, not sure why though, maybe a powerplay by Torrio and Al Capone?

KamakaLo

[7]Sep 20, 2010
    I was a bit bored for most of the pilot but I'm going to give it another chance. I thought the Jimmy character was the most interesting so that is why I'm going to watch again and then make my decision.

ThaReaper23

[8]Sep 20, 2010
    • level: 2

The man who was killed at the end was James "Big Jim" Colosimo. If you remember at the meeting, there was Arnold Rothstein and Charlie Luciano representing New York. Big Jim Colosimo, his right hand guy Johnny Torrio, and Al Capone, who was their driver at the time, were from Chicago. They were all meeting with Nucky to get in on the bootlegging business. Colosimo didn't want to get involved with it and so Torrio had him whacked so they could do so.

PatrickWillif

[9]Sep 20, 2010
    Who is nicknamed lucky?

Eric10301

[10]Sep 20, 2010
    • level: 12

PatrickWillif wrote:
    Who is nicknamed lucky?

Lucky Luciano was the hot tempered guy sitting next to Rothstein. I have mixed feelings about the pilot. It was pretty boring, but I can see alot of potential. I just hope Michael Williams character Chalky White is an integral part of the story because he's just awesome.

haldrey

[11]Sep 20, 2010
    AWSOME! Loved the pilot, in all respects. It has all the making of the next HBO classic.

daillestknega

[12]Sep 20, 2010

This show is amaaazing! cannot wait for the next episodee

Racketeer66

[13]Sep 26, 2010
    • level: 6
    meee223 wrote:

Guess it was "Big" Jim Colossimo. Made sense, anywayz.

jrsgalaxy

[14]Sep 26, 2010
    • level: 14

Well the real-life Big Jim Colossimo (who was the guy at the end who got shot in his restaurant) was supposedly killed by Frankie Yale because he didn't want to get into the bootlegging business. After that Torrio took over his empire then left for Italy and left Capone in charge. Lucky Luciano is said to have been The Father of Organized Crime as he was the one that established the structure of the Five Mafia Families .

So it wasn't Rothstein who had Colossimo killed as he operated out of New York with Luciano and Big Jim was in Chicago. Capone who hijacked the booze and Torrio are the most like culprits to have probably contacted Frankie Yale a former mentor of Capone's in New York to carry out the hit because he believed bootlegging was the wave of the future and Big Jim didn't want to get into the business.

Edited on 09/26/2010 5:14pm
    Edited 4 total times.

Ralfberg

[15]Oct 4, 2010
    • level: 13

Yea, I agree with the post above me. And yeah, really interesting series, maybe not the most action you would like to get, but I think we will still get there, and I love that it is about gangsters in 1920's, when the mafia started and all that, I really like to know more about that(as I understand, it is taken more or less from the real happennings), also I really would love to see how Al Capone becamse so infamous mobster and all that. The show's good, but I Hope it gets even better!

drw34761

[16]Oct 25, 2010

did anyone watch boardwalk empire #5 what was name name of the song that the show ended with.

They never showed it on the credits.

I love the show

antdude

[17]Dec 5, 2010
    • level: 27
    I finally watched it for kicks due to the buzz. It was pretty boring to me. Nice set, clothing, theme, etc. though.