Boardwalk Empire Forums

Sunday 9:00 PM on HBOIn Season

Anyone else Jumping ship after the season 2 finale **spoilers**

BLinus4815

[1]Dec 12, 2011
    • level: 8

Wow...I don't think i was this shocked by a finale since seeing Rita in the bathtub on the season 4 finale of "Dexter".

But the difference is I don't agree at all with how the writers handled Jimmy's death by Nucky. (hehe, Death by Nucky sounds like a fun band name). Jimmy was easily the most intriguing and compelling to watch (the 2nd would most likely be Richard in my opinion). What made it even more heartbreaking was having Eli and Manny both there at the end, the most disgusting characters (in terms of personality) and seeing that Jimmy couldn't do anything about it.

I get it, Jimmy knew he was walking to his death, and Nucky had to be the one to do it, but this all happened too soon in the series. Ths writers spent so much time on Darmody's disposition, and then decided to go for shock value rather than smart storytelling.

Props to the writers for going with a bold choice. Bold... but that doesn't make it any less foolish.

I'm sure many people will continue to watch Nucky, now that he's "breaking bad", but I won't be tuning in to season 3.

Edited on 12/12/2011 9:50am
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

kanniballl

[2]Dec 12, 2011
    • level: 18

Nothing really shocking there... Nucky had his fill of Jimmy going behind his back a while ago. Jimmy helping him in the 11th hour doesn't really satisfy the fact that a lot of this was due to his machinations (not to mention the assasination attempt). I think Jimmy even knew it, which is why he left his dog tags with his son.

I saw Margaret giving away the land to the church the instant Nucky told her he was going to transfer it to her a few episodes ago.

Beyond that, nothing much else going on.

littlefieldfc

[3]Dec 12, 2011
    • level: 1

Terrible ending for the season. Lost focus and the writing went downhill. Crap was on the wall as soon as writers made Jimmy switch character, betray an ally for no real reason, go against his interests and then close all Nucky's plot lines in the end, how neat and tidy for all who are left. No Jimmy in Boardwalk is like killing off Vincent Chase in Entourage in the second season. All the show be left with is...my idiot brother and two Hobbits, but as a team, Entourage had an Entourage and charisma. All Boardwalk has now is a funny looking man and many less interesting character that live on and on and on, no elf's, no wizards and no return of the King. Good thing Showtime, Starz, Cinamax, AMC have laid down the gauntlet on programming, because HBO dropped the ball on this one.

michaelhanergod

[4]Dec 12, 2011
    • level: 7
    yeah i am done as well. Why watch anymore with all these unlikeable characters. The only ones i like is darmody clan Richard and Gillian but their roles are limited

BLinus4815

[5]Dec 13, 2011
    • level: 8

If anyone should've died, it should have been Jimmy's mom. It would've either freed him, or broken him further (although i think the death of his wife was probably the threshold). Anyways, either outcome would have been amazing to watch.

Edited on 12/13/2011 6:23am

Jemadari

[6]Dec 13, 2011
    • level: 12

I found the finale extremely lacking(which has been the case a lot lately) but there was enough to keep me coming back for more

mfmschaser

[7]Dec 14, 2011
    • level: 11

I think I'll let season 3 decide if I stay or go.

PatrickSerevco

[8]Dec 14, 2011
    • level: 4
    Same here! I must admit Nucky killing James has left me dumbstruck. James was one of the best chars in this series and didn't deserve to die,

I think I'll stay for the 3rd season, watch a few eps and then decide whether to stay or run away screaming.

headtoad

[9]Dec 14, 2011
    • level: 5

PatrickSerevco wrote:
    Same here! I must admit Nucky killing James has left me dumbstruck. James was one of the best chars in this series and didn't deserve to die, I think I'll stay for the 3rd season, watch a few eps and then decide whether to stay or run away screaming.

i agree 100% with what your saying

haldrey

[10]Dec 15, 2011
    • level: 22
    No way, although I liked the Jimmy's character but this the show is so good the next season they will find another interesting character to take his place. and will keep on watching no matter what..

sweetangel1051

[11]Dec 24, 2011
    • level: 6

I wish the writers chose a different path for Jimmy so that they didn't feel he "had to die". I understand all the events leading up to Jimmy's death made it seem that was the only plausible ending, but I wish he had more fight in him left. He was the heart & soul for me in B.E. There will be a huge void next season, I just know it. Still in disbelief over it, ugh. I'll probably wait til season 3 is all done with and watch the episodes in a quick marathon to see if I like it or not.

MarvinNuwaga

[12]Jan 6, 2012
    • level: 1
    I knew he was done for when he started acting out of character, throwing that dude over the ledge at the party, refusing to pay the butcher and just plain acting strange, Jimmy was a soldier no doubt but he was also pretty smart and even though politics didn't suit him, he shouldn't have died either, Eli literally tried to kill nuck and he's around for another season?? I knw there's enuff for people out there to watch season 3 but by God i'm done.

babelak

[13]Jan 25, 2012
    • level: 12
    I thought it was a stunning ending. Frankly, as soon as that professor told Jimmy his life was a Jacobean tragedy his number was up - especially considering what happened after that. I am gonna miss him though, he was definitely in the top 3 most compelling characters in the show. I'm also wondering if Van Alden is gone for good too, as I also enjoyed watching his journey. Presumably Esther will continue as the main antagonist (on behalf of the US Govt, anyway), she intrigues me and I see potential there. I will definitely stick around for the 3rd season to see where they take it. Although if they decide to leave it there it would be a great ending for the story.

Reino6

[14]Feb 19, 2012
    • level: 2

Yes, the end was kind of fast, but has there been any rumors about the season 3? I´m glad that they didn´t kill Nucky.

janbooo

[15]Feb 26, 2012
    • level: 4

Jimmy's death doesn't necessary mean he won't show up in season 3...

Maybe we will see a lot of flashbacks (with Jimmy) that give us more insights in the relations and history of the other villans.

And even if that won't be the case, its still a great show.. I just don't like Margaret with all the twist and turn in her character, I don't like her being so church-loving all of a sudden.

Still a great show, I'll keep watching!

Edited on 02/26/2012 12:00pm

No1Slayerette

[16]Jul 8, 2012
    • level: 9

I'll keep watching. I must admit that it surprised me the writers would write Jimmy out so early in the series, particularly sinceit became clear thatBoardwalk Empire's main storyline was Nucky versus Jimmy, and it could have gone on for many more seasons. But having Jimmy die does feel like the natural resolution to that storyline (albeit a little sooner than most would have liked),and I applaud them for taking the risk to do it. A lot of people considered the second season slow and boring, and I've no doubt that removing a character like Jimmy from the show gives the writers the potential to freshen things up a bit, so I'm interested to see what they will do. Besides, it's not as if Nucky won't have his hands full. Gillian and Harrow will no doubt try and exact revenge against him for Jimmy's death, Al Capone, Luciano and Lansky might be annoyed that they are now a partner short in their bootlegging business, I'd imagine Esther will continue to try and builda case up against Nucky, and with Margaret giving away his land, I assume all of his partners involved in the road building will be very unhappy with him. So yeah, there's definitely still quite a lot going on in the show to keep me interested.