Blessed Are They

Aired Saturday 7:30 PM Apr 22, 1962 on NBC

• I loved this episode.

I didn't know that this episode was around Easter. It reminds me of the Little House On The Prairie episode,The Lost Ones. 2 families 1 with children,1 with no kids,well,whos daughter died wants the twins .Ben lets the twins stay at the Ponderosa for a while,they let the pigs in the house while Joe's cooking.Hoss and Joe chase the twins and the pigs around the Ponderosa.At Church,the Reverend,does his sermond. ben decides to give the boy to 1 family and the girl to the other,they children cry,the kids stay together,the family with children decide to give them to the couple with no kids.
  • Pretty good episode

I think this is a good episode to add to the collection. There are two things that are not as typical, and I like, in this episode. 1- There isn't any fighting in this episode. It's nice to have these episodes once in a while, because it shows the more emotional side to Bonanza. 2- The comedy factors in this episode. This episodes is nice, because although, the show's not fully devoted to comedy, (like Hoss and the Leprachauns), it has scenes like Hoss and Joe with Sue and Kenny, and Ben blowing bubbles out of the pipe, and Adam catching them (even though that part was extremely cheesy)! This is a good episode to add to the collection, though, since when has Ben smoked a pipe?!?
  • Blessed Are They is an episode of "Bonanza" chornicling the strife between two rival families around Easter. Ben is appointed magistrate and a new priest comes to town for Easter, inviting both to mass before disappearing mysteriously, alluding to Jesus.

This is a very special episode to me. It really is the whole reason I watch this series. One of the first episodes I had seen, this one does not involve physical violence as it does emotional strife.

This is the kind of film that makes this TV show so much better than the majority of today's. Secular Hollywood can take lessons from this show. The most moving scene in the episode occurs at the end, where the feud is resolved. The priest, satisfied, places the Bible on the altar and the camera cuts to the scene of action. On the next cut, Ben asks to thank the priest, to find him disappeared and a new man enters, claiming to be the "new" priest whom they believed they were holding mass with.

The special effect, achieved with only one cut, symbolizes that this man who resolved the feud was a divine presence, and the expressions on the faces reveal it all. Simple cuts bring a sense of mystery every time, even though you know it is obviously just a cut.