Bonanza Forums

NBC (ended 1973)

Bonanza on DVD?

suplex2000

[1]Mar 23, 2006
    • level: 11
    Well, let's see. There are 431 episodes to Bonanza and if they used double-layered DVD-9's, (where they could get 4 of the hour long episodes on each DVD) it would take 108 DVD's for the whole set.

I know we see many shows get released on DVD, but Bonanza would really take up some serious disks. I also know they would surely release it in seasons (instead of a box set) but it would still seem like a lot.

We'll have to just wait and see.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Sneddy2

[2]Mar 23, 2006
    • level: 38
    Actually there are only 430 episodes. "Forever" was originally a 2 hour episode but was split into parts for syndication purposes. If season 14 comes on DVD, then I would say that "Forever" would be in its original format.

As for the DVD seasons - seasons 1 and 2 have been released in Germany and from what I know, each disc does have 4 episodes on them. You can order them from Germany but you have to make sure that your DVD player can play Region 2 DVDs. The default language is German but English is available as an option.

mojo1943

[3]Apr 23, 2006
    • level: 2

To Whom it may concern,

Does anyone know how many seasons The six Million Dollar Man and the Bionic Woman ran for an im looking for Shazam the one with the boy an the old man and the RV, please feel free to email me with the info at one of theses email' ------------->mojorrison_43@yahoo.com --->dreammy71@aim.com 

Sincerly,

Dreammer

AKA Mojo

Sneddy2

[4]Apr 24, 2006
    mojo1943 wrote:

To Whom it may concern,

Does anyone know how many seasons The six Million Dollar Man and the Bionic Woman ran for an im looking for Shazam the one with the boy an the old man and the RV, please feel free to email me with the info at one of theses email' ------------->mojorrison_43@yahoo.com --->dreammy71@aim.com 

Sincerly,

Dreammer

AKA Mojo

Did you look at those guides on this site? The people there would be more better to help you out.

Lucey

[5]Jun 14, 2006
    • level: 16
    suplex2000 wrote:
    Well, let's see. There are 431 episodes to Bonanza and if they used double-layered DVD-9's, (where they could get 4 of the hour long episodes on each DVD) it would take 108 DVD's for the whole set.

I know we see many shows get released on DVD, but Bonanza would really take up some serious disks. I also know they would surely release it in seasons (instead of a box set) but it would still seem like a lot.

We'll have to just wait and see.

They usually release the shows in seasons. That worries me because it takes forever for them to release a season and there is a TON of seasons for Bonanaza. It's going to take forever. I'll be ninety before all the seasons are out on DVD.

whateverfits

[6]Jul 28, 2006
    • level: 1
    I have Bonanza on DVD.  There are two episodes on each DVD.  My sister bought a few of them for me a while ago.  I think you can get them at a Cracker Barrel if they have any of those near you.

Sneddy2

[7]Jul 28, 2006

whateverfits wrote:
    I have Bonanza on DVD.  There are two episodes on each DVD.  My sister bought a few of them for me a while ago.  I think you can get them at a Cracker Barrel if they have any of those near you.

That's sounds like they are public domain episodes.  There are 31 public domain episodes out on DVD from various companies and in various formats i.e. some with the original theme music and some without.

You can get the Best of Bonanza Vol 1 that was released by Artisan a few years.  This DVD has 8 episodes on 2 Discs.

Yore-Researcher

[8]Jul 31, 2006
    LOOK FOR THE STARS (Season 3 - Episode 26)

It has not been released in the public domain yet... It's my husband's favourite episode and he only saw it many years ago as a child and then in re-runs.

I'd like to get a copy for his birthday... anyone has one?

Yore-Researcher

[9]Jul 31, 2006
    Oops... Should have read:

LOOK 'TO' THE STARS #92
    Season 3, Episode 26

Sneddy2

[10]Aug 1, 2006
    "Look to the Stars" is not one of the public domain episodes. Public domain episodes are those that for some reason have lost their copyright.

Current DVDs that are available for episodes that still have their copyright are "The Best of Bonanza Volume 1" from Artisan and the seasons sets that are being released in Germany. Other than that you'll have wait till the episode is shown on TV. However, the catch with episodes shown on TV is that they are cut to allow time for more commercials, i.e in other words there will be scenes missing.

scc1fan

[11]Aug 3, 2006
    • level: 51
    About how much do the official DVDs cost?

Yore-Researcher

[12]Aug 3, 2006
    Thanks.. I did know it was not released, but did not realize that they cut the episode for commercials, I thought that being TV productions they were the lenght (sorter) to allow fitting the commercial in between the story.

Learn something every day! Thanks, )

Sneddy2

[13]Aug 3, 2006
    Back in the 1960s for a 1 hour TV show, up to 50 minutes was filmed, leaving 10 minutes for commercials. Bonanza episodes are anywhere between 45 and 50 minutes long. As the years have gone by the time for commercials has gotten larger. In a recent article I read, a TV producer who started out in the 1980s, said that they filmed 47 minutes. Today it has gone down to 41 minutes. So to allow for all these ads, some scenes of Bonanza have had to been cut.
    Edited on 09/14/2006 10:19pm

PJudith

[14]Sep 14, 2006
    • level: 2
    Yore-Researcher wrote:
    Oops... Should have read:

LOOK 'TO' THE STARS #92
    Season 3, Episode 26
    The only thing I can suggest is waiting for it on TVLand. TVLand runs the first six seasons or as we call them 'The Adam Years'. Right now they are running season five and 'Look to the Stars' is a third season ep so it will probably be a few months before it's on again.

TasForMayor

[15]Sep 30, 2006
    • level: 21
    howdy,
    I haven't seen these DVD's for sale anywhere; what chain has 'em?
    very respectfully,
    formayor

Sneddy2

[16]Sep 30, 2006
    I know that you can obtain the DVD season sets from Germany. Most of the pages are in German but if you do a search on the net you should be able to find a place over there that sells and sends them overseas. I know of people who have ordered and received them from the USA and Australia.

TasForMayor

[17]Oct 28, 2006
    count me in; I'll try some o' that action now..

TasForMayor

[18]Oct 28, 2006
    count me in; I'll try some o' that action now..