Bonanza

NBC (ended 1973)

SrRui

Bonanza Fan Reviews (32)

• Bonanzas in other things out

I am so much fun of The Cartwright family. They give me lots inspiration. very good family and very good relationships between them. I absolutely love to watch them in lots of time :)))
  • Bonanza in Italian?

Hi folks,

I lived in Italy as a child and we would watch "Bonanza" dubbed in italian. You have not really laughed hard until you have seen Hoss Cartwright speak in formal italian. I have not been able to find these episodes anywhere on the internet or Youtube. Have any suggestions for me? I recently hooked up with my old military brat friends from those days via FB, and I sure would like to post it on our group's page.

grazie!
  • Great classic tv series!

Well, whenever I heard Bonanza, the Cartwrights is the only thing that comes up on my mind or should I rather says the famous ones. Everybody during this era used to watched this show in their living room - enjoying every episode with their entire family. Why? Because this series can be described in so many great things! The Cartwrights is known for a very well respected family which enjoys every moments of their life. I have always wanted to own a copy of this classic show and I placed a DVD order at memorylanedvd . com . I would have to say that the package I received is precious because it's complete and has of good quality which is really beyond my expectations. I'm now enjoying watching this again because it's really worth re-watching! Certainly, this is a must-see for the entire family a great classic show ever been produced in the TV history!
  • Bonanzza wearing gumbelts

After all these years of watching the show, i never noticed that all gunbelts worn in the show do not have bullets. This does not seem natural to those times. Any one know why the producers decided to go without bullets?
  • The mill

I have not seen it but I am sure it was good since all episodes of Bonanza were good.
  • Bonanza was a western that depicted high morals and the very best family values. The setting was Virginia City, in the territory of Nevada, in the 1860s. The Cartwright family of father, Ben, and sons Adam, Hoss and Joe were the main characters.

Bonanza was, in my personal opinion, the best television series of all time. The characters of Ben, Hoss and Little Joe Cartwright (and for the first six years, Adam) were part of American culture for the 14 years of the shows run. For both the fans of its day and those who became fans watching reruns, it continues to be loved and watched in reruns on various channels, particularly since the advent of satelite TV.

The patriarch of the family, Ben Cartwright, is the epitome of what a father should be. He was always there when his sons needed him, whether to save them from some danger, comfort them, give advise or hand out discipline. I particularly admire the frequent references Ben makes to the Bible, as well as his praying on many occasions. It was also apparent that he made sure his family were regular church-goers.

Adam, the oldest son, was only on the show for the first 6 years of its run. There are many Bonanza fans, because of their love of this character, that prefer the first 6 season episodes for this reason. Adam was college educated (A degree in architecture)and an intellectual, but still every bit the cowboy. He could herd and rope cattle, bust a bronc, win a gun fight or get into a bar room brawl, but still read a little poetry on the ride back to the ranch.

Hoss was the 6 foot 4, 300 pound animal lover of the sons. He was shy around women and a little backward on the intellectual side of things, but definitely the one you wanted around in either a fist fight or to whelp a litter of puppies. He was very tender-hearted, but fiercely loyal to his family. Anyone who was out to hurt one of the other Cartwright's, their cook, Hop Sing or any of their friends, would have Hoss to contend with.

Joseph Francis Cartwright, known as "Little Joe", was the youngest son. He had a quick temper, but also could tear up in an emotional moment. He was very handsome and quite the ladies man, often getting him into trouble. Joe also was very athletic and was often seen busting broncs, doing somersaults in the course of a bar fight or shoot out and was the Cartwright most often seen jumping down from and climbing great heights.

All of the Cartwrights were very steadfast in their loyalty and devotion to each other and the high moral standards set by Ben. The series usually had episodes that were morality plays, which was very innovative for the period when the series began its run (1959). This series is definitely a classic for westerns, family shows and television drama.
  • Photo

I have been a big fan of bonanza and especially little Joe from 12years old , which is now 46 years. When I was only 12 I wrote to little Joe's fan club told them how much I loved the show and asked them if they could send me a photo, which they did. It was an autographed coloured photo of Ben, hoss, and little Joe. I was so excited and so happy. Next day I went to school and took it with me , while I was there someone stole it from my bag. I was so upset. I have never ever forgotten that . I still watch bonanza every afternoon on austar and I still enjoy the show after all these years.
  • A wonderful western series that lives on despite the changing times

Bonanza is a show that is perfect for people of all ages. I for one have been a huge fan, my mother before me, and my grandmother before her. It has love, action, friendship, loyalty, drama, suspense, hurt/comfort, angst, joy, laughter, and everything else you can think to name.

To me this will always be one of the best shows of all time. Its truly a family timeless classic that I will share with my children in the years to come.

It's full of family values, staying united through adversity, trusting your loved ones, and just plain being a great family.
  • Who thought of this? Tell me because I think they should be in an asylum.

This show is just for old people. Every time I have veiwed it it ws very dull and lacked in plot and dialog. I remmember falling asleep most of the time. I think this is the one western show where this kid falls in love with someone and then they die. If they want more veiwers he should fall in love with a homosexual/tranvestite. That would get me to watch the show. Western shows should be full of drunk people and murder, but no, it hs to be good for the family and all that crap. "Hey little Joe (if that's his name.) someone killed your mom!" Lil' Joe: "I'm going to sit down and have a talk with him and tell him that he's not a very nice person." So if you ever see this show on the television I suggest you move on to Roseanne, at least they have good actors.
  • bonanza perhaps one of the greats and long running tv western show ever made.

bonanza show that made 435 eps i would have to say is a really good show it focused on a family called the cotrights there was little joe hoss and adam and the father there mother had passed away and they lived on the ponderosa huge 1000 mile ranch they went through tons of really good stories that would usully end in people getting shot and other things and the boys were usully mostly part of the eps like they would mostly focuse around them . like hoss were he enerted to face the strong guy at the fair and the girl got kidnapped those were the kinda stories they had but its a western most of stories back then all had those kinda things in them .
  • Bonanza is a tv western set in 1860's Nevada. The father, Ben Cartwright, portrayed by Lorne Greene, owns and runs the 1,000 square mile ranch, The Ponderosa, with his three sons, Adam, Hoss, and Little Joe.

I've been watching Bonanza since I was a little girl and have always enjoyed it. Ben, the patriarch of the family, was thrice married and thrice widowed. He had a son with each each wife and while I love all the characters, the oldest son, Adam, had my heart. Eastern born and educated, he was the down-to-earth, urbane son. He had a good sense of right and wrong, intelligent and the ladies loved him. Quick with a gun and dispensing brotherly advice. Most days, his Pa treats him more like a partner but can rever back in a minute. Hoss, the middle brother, loved animals and food and was usually very amiable. The youngest, Little Joe, also quick with a gun and also very much a ladies man. Often roped Hoss into wild schemes. While the writing lacked the social conscious that some of the actors felt it should have, it didn't cover quite a bit of the historical importance of the area. The family was rounded out by their cook, Hop Sing, who has been with the family since Little Joe was small. All three of Ben's wives, died while their boys were small. It's a shame the way the show ended. I think it would've been nice to have Pernell Roberts (Adam) to have come back for a farewell show.
  • Bonanza is about the Cartwright family and there life on the Ponderosa, the thousand-square-mile ranch.

The widowed patriarch Ben Cartwright and his sons He had three sons, each by a different wife: the oldest was the urbane architect Adam Cartwright, who built the ranch house. The second was the warm and lovable giant Eric, better known by his nickname: "Hoss". And the youngest was the hotheaded and impetuous Joseph or "Little Joe". They all live and worked on the ranch.

"Bonanza" was considered an atypical western for its time, as the core of the storylines dealt with Ben and his three dissimilar sons, how they cared for one another, their neighbors and their land.Bonanza was the second longest running TV series on NBC (14 years). Lorne Greene, Dan Blocker, Michael Landon, and Pernell Roberts did a great job. Bonanza is a classic show that people will be watching in Fifty years. It is two bad that Dan blocker died before the series was over. 1959 to 1973 is a classic that I love to watch.
  • Bonanza chronicles the lives of the Cartwrights and the workings of a big ranch on the American frontier. Ben Cartwright and his three sons, Adam, Hoss, and Joe fight for what is just and decent in a time where lawlessness was common.

I grew up watching this show! I'll admit that as a young girl I watched because of the horses in the show, but as I grew older I got caught up in the stories of the Cartwrights and their friends. You could always count on Ben Cartwright and his sons to be on the side of justice, fairness, law and order. Some of the "bad guys" they had to go up against were pretty slimy! I recently bought a boxed set of Bonanza and so enjoyed rewatching those shows! The characters usually had a lesson of some kind to learn and Bonanza did this without being too preachy. A great classic show from my childhood!
  • I grew up watching Bonanza. I even got to see Little Joe (Michael Landon) at the Houston Livestock and Rodeo Show as a kid. True by todays standards this show is dated, but then, it was excellent and kept me up until 9:00 pm.

Bonanza was one of those western shows on TV one of many, but it stood alone in the quality of acting and moral content. Just imagine an elderly widower with three sons out in the middle of nowhere on a huge ranch. To a city dwelling kid that was just plain cool. And then there was Hop Sing the Chinese house boy, more like the House Boss than the House Keeper. I would wade through The Wonderful World of Disney, in anticipation of hearing Dinah Shore sing "See the USA in your Chevrolet" and I knew it was time for the Boys and Pa to come riding up through that beautiful country on their outstanding steeds to look us in the eye and bring another show. Bonanza is an icon of times when Americans were naive and simple. "What ya gonna do Pa".
  • Hear the theme tune, enjoy and switch off.

This is a fossil of a show, the theme tune is the best part about it. If I watched an episode it made me want to watch something similar, but just done better... so i would watch a western film instead, there are hundreds to choose from and this series borrowed from them all. It broke no ground in driving forward the genre in my opinion and for me it was just like a choppy amalgamation of western films that came out before it aired, shame it could have been much stronger. If you've never seen it before think of the monotony of Little House On The Prairie and add some guns. Maybe I was too young to fully appreciate it, but i don't think that was the case, I just think it was lame... no particular episode stands out in my mind and that is kinda my point, its forgettable, still lots of people do like it, the reason i scored it a 7, based on its popularity at the time.
  • Welcome to the Ponderosa.

The Cartwrights were the toughest, yet the gentlest, most generous and most hospitable family of the old west. But it was not always so. The earliest episodes show a rather ornery bunch, ready to blow away any varmint that dared darken the Ponderosa. Perhaps the producers realized that this didn't go over too well with viewers, so the Cartwrights mellowed as the first season wound down and became the helpful Cartwrights we know and love today. Then the Ponderosa, a land they built with years of sweat and back breaking labor, became open to anyone whose intentions were good. If you're in a fix, you want these guys on your side. Bonanza lasted nearly fourteen seasons. If not for the sad and untimely death of Dan "Hoss" Blocker in 1972 at age 42, there's no telling how long it could have gone on. Sadly, Lorne Green (Ben) and Michael Landon (Little Joe) joined him years later. Pernell Roberts (Adam), who left the series at the end of the sixth season and at the height of its popularity (it was #1 in the Nielsens 1964-67) is, as of this writing, the only remaining member of the clan at 79.

Rest in peace Ben, Hoss, and Little Joe.
  • Bonanza helped define the genre of all television dramas, not just tv westerns, for generations to come. Its influence is still seen today. The series installments, while dated, are still enjoyable.

7.9
    Bonanza was one of the shows I never failed to watch as a child. Back in those ancient days before the remote, when we only had 3 channels to choose from, and one lone tv set, my dad was the ultimate arbiter of which show the family watched. Bonanza was one of the few shows no one argued with him about- we all loved it.

From the (too sparse) action sequences to the sharp characterizations of the Cartwright sons (everyone has their favorite-Adam was mine) to the moral that accompanied every story, Bonanza was never less than dependable enjoyment, week after week.

I catch it occasionally on TV Land these days, and, while dated, it's still fun to watch. Try it!
  • Thrice widowed Ben Cartwright ably manages his vast Ponderosa ranch in Nevada along with his three sons (one by each wife): Adam, "Hoss," and last but now least, Little Joe.

One of my all time favorite shows, I still enjoy it in reruns on TV Land. As a child of the 50s, I grew up watching Bonanza with my farmer father, who always reminded me somewhat of Ben Cartwright. Beyond its sentimental value, I still find the stories engaging and entertaining.
  • Not the best way done.

This was probably one of the more influential western series of all time. Along with "Gunsmoke" this also was one of the longest running series in the history of television. The thing that made it great though was that it was able to get better over time. For example, in many of the early episodes, Ben and his sons had an almost antagonistic relationship with anyone who came on their property. In fact, the Cartwrights had an almost shoot first, ask questions later attitude to any stranger that might wander onto the Ponderosa. However, when Lorne Greene suggested that the Cartwrights become more hospitable, that's when the show began to take off. Also, the Adam, Hoss and Joe weren't on the best of terms with each other during the show's early days, but as time went on the three of them grew closer and showed their affection towards each other, especially Hoss and Little Joe. But the thing that really made it great was the fact that the cast and crew were able to go from serious drama to some very light hearted episodes and make it more than just a western but a family drama with stories that could easily fit into any era. This is really a show for the ages.
  • A cool classic show, in the vein of the classic cowboy films and so.

The Carwright live in a huge ranch in Nevada, well in three states, where the four of them (the father and his tree sons, each form a different mother) live as cowboys, going behind the cows, traveling to do business and so. The core of the show, nevertheless, is the relation between the main and the tertiary characters, since you'll hardly see them more than in one episode. The Cartwrights love helping people, and people love being helped by the Cartwrights, since that often involves living some time at La Ponderosa, receiving counsel from Mr. Cartwright and so. Nice show which reflect the christian values of the time.
  • great

Set in the vicinity of
    Virginia City, Nevada. Widower Ben Cartwright was the patriarch
    of the all-male clan and owner of the thousand-square-mile
    Ponderosa Ranch. Each of his sons had been borne by a different
    wife, none of whom was still alive. Adam, the oldest of the
    half brothers, was the most serious and introspective. Hoss,
    the middle son, was a mountain of a man who was as gentle as
    he was huge, at times niave, and not particularly bright.
    Little Joe was the youngest, most impulsive, and most romantic
    of the Cartwright offspring. The adventures of these men,
    individually and collectively, their dealings with the mining
    interests and the ranching interests, and the people whose
    paths crossed theirs made up the stories on Bonanza
  • classic show

The 1950's were the age of the tv western. You had shows like Gunsmoke, Rawhide, Have Gun Will Travel, Maverick and Bonanza. Bonanza was big at the time because it was the first Western to be broadcast in color. Of all the Westerns in tv history, only Gunsmoke ran longer then Bonanza. This was a wonderful show with a great cast. The wise Lorne Greene was everyone's favorite tv father. Michael Landon was wonderful (even when he was on Little House my mom still called him "Little Joe"). Dan Blocker provided great comic relief as Hoss. He was big and dumb but he had a really good heart (sadly, Blocker died very young the last season and they wrote his death in the show). There were so many wonderful guest stars on the show everyone from Lee Marvin to Jodie Foster to Dennis Hopper (this was before Easy Rider). People don't realize the tremendous input that Michael Landon had on this show and on Little House as well. He not only starred but he also wrote and directed many of the episodes, and they are among the series best. Katherine MacGregor, who played Mrs. Olsen on Little House On The Prarie, told me that Landon used a lot of the stories from Bonanza on that series as well. The most heartbreaking episode of the show was a two parter that they did the last season. It was broadcast on CBN as a movie called "Forever". Bonnie Bedilia (who was Bruce Willis's wife in Die Hard) and Andy Robinson (who was the killer in Dirty Harry) were featured. Little Joe fell in love and got married, but his wife was horribly murdered, burned to death and he spent the rest of the show hunting down her murderers. It was one of the saddest and most disturbing episodes of the series and Michael Landon gave a wonderful performance and wrote a first class script. He really made you feel Joe's anguish and grief. It really haunted me long after the final credits. I think Pernell Roberts made one of the most foolish decisions imaginable when he left this show after only six seasons, it took him fifteen years to get on another series. He was STUPID! By the way, watching this show, I always wondered one thing. I always wondered if the Cartwrights were gay. I mean except for the one episode I mentioned it never showed them dating. Can you believe that? I always wondered what was going on and if Hop Sing was involved.
  • 14 amazing years...

well as some of you know, bonanza is the second longest running western, and is one of the longest running drama series of all time. it ran from 1959 - 1973 an amazing 14 seasons. i think that it was agreat western and a fairly good series. i like the theme song which is very popular, even thiugh most people don't know that it is the bonanza theme song. it had funny moments and sad moments all mixed in together. it will always be one of the greatest westerns ever.i have seen two of the stars on something else; Michael Landon was on Little House on The Praire, and Lorne Green was on Battlestar Galactica in 1978. later.
  • I think at one point or another we've all heard the Bonanza theme song. But have you seen the show. If not you're missing out on a lot.

A while back I was into watching TVland. While I was I watched the show Bonanza. I was just bored and really didn't think much of it, but when I saw it instantly became on of my favorites. I watched that show everyday until I saw the same ones over and over again. I can't get enough of that show. Most westerns I don't particularly like, but Bonanza is different. Bonanza shows you the life of the Cartwrights and when you see their life it is just so interesting that you want to see more. Sure the props and backround are a bit old and unrealistic, but that can't take away from the fact that the show is amazing. The only disappointing aspect of the show is that the Cartwrights can't seem to get a girl because if they do the girl normally dies or has to leave.
  • Hey Pa

Bonanza was the story of Ben Cartwright, a widower who owned the immense Ponderosa Ranch in Nevada. With Ben were his three grown sons - - Adam, Hoss, and Little Joe. Each had a different mother, none of whom were still alive. Being married to Ben was definitely not a ticket to a long life!

The show was an hour-long drama and it rarely featured a lot of gunplay. An excellent selection of guest stars really helped things along.

14 seasons is a long time for a 1 hour dramatic western, and the show seemed to run out of gas towards the end. Back in the old days, I watched all of these episodes in Black & White. It's very disconcerting now to view them in color.
  • This was a classic TV Western drama.

Bonanza was set in Nevada in the 1860's and is one of the best westerns to ever appear on television. Even beyond that, it is one of the better shows on television period. The writing was so good that it still holds up to today's standards. The regular cast was outstanding. The guest starts were absolutely fantastic. In this time period of television many famous actors would make appearances on great television shows such as this. Then there were the up and coming actors that would go on to become huge stars and used this as a springboard of sorts. All in all a great show that can still be watched today without missing a beat. I still watch reruns of the on TV Land.
  • A true Bonanza of morality plays and Christian virtues!

I have been watching Bonanza since it first came out years ago. Like many other programs of the time, they reflect the values that show through from the more viruous culture of that day.

I have even purchased Bible studies that are on sale in LifeWay Christian stores based on this wonderful series. I hope that all who view this series are as blessed by it as I have been over the years.

It is such a shame that programs today are not able to share such moral stories to our children who need them so badly today. God bless.
  • A true family show, it goes back to a time in the early 60's when I was innocent and impressionable. The values taught in that one hour still hold true today. Family first; honesty, integrity, trustworthiness, everything we need to teach our children.

This is one show that my family can all watch together without worrying about langauge, nudity or unmitigated violence.

The story lines are varied and interesting. I would not miss an episode, even though the story did not continue from one week to another.

I was happy to have another family to be a member of - the Cartwrights. I wanted to live in that house, have a dad like Ben, be on a ranch. I think I was born in the wrong century!

I hope this show continues in reruns as long as possible. My children need to learn from it, as I did.
  • A great show...even for some non-western people like myself.

I've never really liked westerns...or at least I never thought I did. When my dad introduced me to Bonanza a few years ago, I responded with an eye-roll and a sigh. After seeing a few episodes, however, my opinion of the show slowly changed. Perhaps what initially caught my attention was Michael Landon's amazing acting talent. It's not everyday that you find someone who is so convincing a "sobber" (no, that is not a real word) that you find yourself stopping to think, "How in the WORLD can he DO THAT??"

Of course, like any series, this show does have its share of cheesy acting, but this can be overlooked with some effort.

Acting aside, the Bonanza storylines aren't really too bad either. However, the plots do tend get repetetive over time...something which has bugged me ever since I became a viewer...but then what do you expect from a show that ran for 14 seasons? The plots can also be corny (some of them are pretty rediculous), but the good plots make up for these a hundred times over.

• Set in Nevada in the 1860s, 'Bonanza' depicts the life and times of wealthy Ponderosa occupant and widower Ben Cartwright and his three sons.

I'm really not a Western or Action/Adventure type person, but I have to say that 'Bonanza' is one of my favorite shows. The characters all have a certain likability to them. Ben Cartwright(Lorne Greene) is, in my opinion, the epitimy of a great father--He is compassionate, strong-willed, and prioritized, despite his experience with tragedy. His sons are all likeable--Adam (Pernell Roberts)plays the role of the eldest, smartest, and most experienced of the three brothers. However, the show was still good even after Pernell Roberts left the show after six seasons. Dan Blocker is the perfect Hoss--big stature, but big heart. And Michael Landon,who plays the impish youngest brother Little Joe, is perfect for the role. The storylines are all very interesting, and I'm surprised the writers were able to adequately vary the show's plots for almost 15 years. I think 'Bonanza' is truly a classic, and one of the greatest shows of all time.
< 1 2