Bonanza

The Fear Merchants

Aired Saturday 7:30 PM Jan 30, 1960 on NBC

6.7
  • Racist lawyers, lying witnesses, just another day in the lives of the Cartright family...

7.7
    I'm surprised that so few people have actually rated this episode very highly. I enjoyed it...not the best, but still thoroughly enjoyable. It takes a quite even pace throughout the episode. No really ploddy parts, but no heartracing thrilling sequences. I think this episode was a real attempt by the writers to tackle racism, and in a way I don't think they really succeeded much. I think (much like the little summary on LikeTelevision.com), it's ironic that they're trying to fend off a racist lawyer yet all the Chinese wear coolie dress. I get where they're coming from, yet it still seems a tad...ironic. Hahah. Anyway. It's interesting to see one of Adam's ex-es (what did he mean by "We used to have a lot of fun in this house"?) and of course, the lovely Pernell Roberts is stunning as usual. I would have liked to have had a little bit more development on the Adam/Jesse complication...but I suppose that's a different story and will be told some other time. Otherwise, I found it quite enjoyable...and definitely recommend it over some of the others that I've watched.
WZME