Bonekickers Forums

BBC (ended 2008)

Deliberate mistakes?

Herodutus

[1]Jul 31, 2008
    • level: 2

Have the writers slipped little anachronisms or mistakes into the script to see if anyone is paying attention? In "The Eternal Fire" Gillian and Ben are in the labyrinth beneath the Roman bath. Gillian is looking at a Romanesque mosaic on the wall. Ben, more concerned with finding a way out, says something like "We don't have time to worry about some Egyptian art work!" [Loose paraphrasing, but the word 'Egyptian' definitely was in the sentence.]

In "Cradle of Civilization" the Iranian diplomat was bragging about the contribution the Babylonian civilization has made on Western cultures. Among a string of legitimate claims, he mentioned giving the West it's days of the week. Hang on! In the spirit of "every god must have his day," we know that English days of the week come from Nordic gods, and most Romance languages honor Roman gods during the week.

Did anyone, more astute in American history than I, catch any similar mistakes in "Warrior," or even the first episode?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Britgirlrnr

[2]Aug 2, 2008
    • level: 8
    Certainly got the days of the week one. I did wonder about that. My daughter, who has an archeology degree, finds the whole programme ludicrous.

happy-days-4-sr

[3]Aug 3, 2008
    • level: 14
    i take it all as gospel! Lol, i know very little about history, so i'm using my interest in it to learn something new!

DoctorOhh

[4]Aug 4, 2008
    • level: 1
    Herodutus wrote:

he mentioned giving the West it's days of the week.

The names of the days might not have come from Babylon but the 7 day week is believed to have originated there. So this statement isn't an error after all.

DoctorOhh

[5]Aug 4, 2008
    • level: 1
    Herodutus wrote:

Have the writers slipped little anachronisms or mistakes into the script to see if anyone is paying attention? In "The Eternal Fire" Gillian and Ben are in the labyrinth beneath the Roman bath. Gillian is looking at a Romanesque mosaic on the wall. Ben, more concerned with finding a way out, says something like "We don't have time to worry about some Egyptian art work!" [Loose paraphrasing, but the word 'Egyptian' definitely was in the sentence.]

At this point in the show she was just looking at a couple of tiles.

Gillian said

"it's purple tesserae"

Ben said,

"well, wow, I'm going to die looking at the rarest egyptian porphyry I've ever seen"

Tesserae are cubes of polished stone used to create mosaics. Egyptian porphyry is a similar purple-red stone and porphyry is from Greek and means "purple". While obviously the mosaic was not egyptain the statement in the context of possibly dieing seems more then appropriate.

This story is historical fiction and I think the a archaeology consultant keeps things within the realm possible fantasy.