A Bones Community
Thursday 8:00 PM on FOX
I won't do this every week, but considering that we opted not to do a review of the premiere (for reasons that'll be clear in a moment), I thought I would kick off a discussion of "The Secrets in the Proposal" with some thoughts of mine own.

The episode suffered from being, well, boring (dull corpse of the week, Freddie Prinze, Jr.'s guest turn aside) but also being in the horrible position of being damned if it did and damned if it didn't.

Booth pulling out of the engagement in the last season finale was so much manufactured drama, and so was just a dumb idea. But which is worse? Following through that dumb idea to showcase Booth and Temperance on the rocks, or resolving in your very first episode back, with all the tension that that decision happening over the break, off-screen?

I don't have an answer to this because both options are horrible. There's no commitment to the showing how Booth's decision caused a strain with it fixed at the end of this episode (though according to Hart Hanson, Angela's going to be bitter about things for a while) and that undermines what little dramatic tension the finale stirred up.

Letting that all play out, however, I wonder how productive that would have been given that it's taken the characters 8 seasons to get to the point where they were finally together, and so having them at odds would've seemed like oh-so-very-much a stalling tactic.

And that was all I had to say about the episode, hence the lack of a full review.

What did you all think? It seemed like those of you who commented about the finale were feeling pretty burnt out on/tired of the show? Still feeling that way? Do you think Bones can turn itself around?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 6/23/2016

Season 11 : Episode 20

Next Episode

AIRS ON 7/14/2016

Season 11 : Episode 21

Comments (15)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I was just wondering if you plan on being this negative with all of your reviews going forward?
Flag
Staff
I thought it was a bad episode, hence the negative opinion. If you look at the discussion prompt for Episode 2, it's significantly more positive because I liked the episode more.

I haven't even really watched Episode 3 yet. I did, but I was also on cold meds. It seemed decent enough, and the ending was a nice little twist on things.
Flag
Actually I'm glad that they moved them on from fighting in the first episode because if it went beyond that I would have bailed on this show. For 8 seasons we have Brennans intellect and her retreat into logic when she cant cope with emotion. Suddenly she cant reason out the fact that this man who she has relied on for years and supposedly loves wouldnt have some sort of motive for rejecting her proposal. To be honest I preferred ruthlessly logical Temperance. I dislike writers twisting characters to make an implausible story line work.
Flag
I've watched Bones since the beginning and I still love it. I hate the Pelant storyline. It makes no sense and the last scene with the kitchen appliance blinking at them was more like the electronics are alive kind of story...blah...
Flag
I've watched Bones since the beginning, and after putting in 8 years, I'll probably see it through till the end, but the show is really trying my patience. There are so many great characters on this show, and what it used to be so good at was to intersperse the gore with great moments.
There has been less and less of the fun and more and more of the melodrama, and like the rest of the commenters I've hated the Pelant storyline and the finale was just awful. This first episode doesn't bode well, but they did have to clean up the mess from the last one, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the next episode will be better
Flag
I actually stopped watching the show after season 6 ended and just recently did a marathon of s7 and s8 and yeah... I for one think that I really didn't miss much over the past 2 years.
I did already know about the whole Pelant thing and that most people didn't like it and where sick of him... and after catching up I got to agree with everyone else, he was a poor choice for a main villain (with a long story arc)
Episode one was ok although it was really predictable that Booth and Brennan would get back together in the first episode
Flag
I'm tired of the show, for sure, and I've watched it for years. I don't really plan on watching it this season. Some people in my house still do watch it, which means I might catch it here and there, but overall, don't plan to keep up with it. I was already losing interest, even before the finale - not entirely sure why. A part of me feels like Booth and Brennan got a little boring when they got together, and a part of me feels like the show has just run its course.

Then, with that finale... so dumb. And like you said, it's damned if they do, damned if they don't - if they'd continued to play out that storyline, I would have been annoyed, but resolving it so quickly is bad too. It's like they agree it was a dumb idea and a cheap cliffhanger. IDK, it just seems like they're running out of ideas for this show. Pelant was sort of an interesting villain in that he was different from any other villain we'd seen, but he's been dragged out for way too long. I don't think he was interesting enough to sustain this long of an arc. Now I don't find him an interesting villain, I find him a frustrating villain.
More+
Flag
"I was already losing interest, even before the finale - not entirely sure why. A part of me feels like Booth and Brennan got a little boring when they got together.... resolving [Booth rejecting Bennan's proposal] so quickly is bad too."

First I agree that I started loosing interest when they got together, but another thing is that when ever there is a conflict between Booth and Brennan now it seems to always be played out as being a really "big deal" but then gets quickly resolved. Even when watching episodes in season 8 they would get into a huge argument and fight the whole episode but then in the last 5 minutes everything is resolved between them and then they do some sort of overly cutsie banter before the credits.
And Idk why but this weird change in their character dynamic kind of bugged me when I watched the episodes (but that might be me missing their interactions from earlier episodes)
Flag
IA. And I think there definitely has been a change in their character dynamic. For a long time I didn't think so. I was never worried about the two of them getting together, because I felt like their dynamic would be able to stay virtually the same even once that happened. But I feel like it really has changed, and that what bugs me now.
Flag
why not do a review every week? i actually look forward to the review's of the shows i watch
Flag
Staff
Full reviews: It's an issue of a) enough eyeballs to justify it and b) writer interest. I'm not sure I'd have enough to say about Bones week in-and-week out to mandate full reviews. Procedurals in particular are just tough, and these sort of mixed procedurals, with cases and characters arcs, are actually a little tougher (for me anyway). Reviewing something like the original Law & Order would be, in my mind, a bit easier.

These little capsule reviews/discussion starters I could be persuaded to do, but based on the lack of comments so far I'm not seeing an interest...? Perhaps just lack of awareness? I can do it for a for a few more episodes, see if more people drift in. I'm certainly not opposed to it as it takes me like 5, 10 minutes to formulate this sort of thing.
Flag
yeah you guys seem to review most of my shows that i watch, very few as it is, i was just curious to see a wright up on bones as i dont recall ever seeing one before, but i was just curious, i had never bothered to ask till now, thanks for getting back to me :)
Flag
I was at one point being tired of the show but then I thought about how it would be like without Bones every week and that would suck. If anything should absolutely happen, is that the Pellant storyline should end. It was pretty great at the beginning but now it's just annoying. In earlier seasons with Gormogon and Gravedigger those worked out well because there was more room for tension without Booth and Brennan being together. Jacob the sniper (i think that's his name) was a good storyline too and it was short and sweet with lots of tension and good amount of drama. However it think the drama for this storyline has come to an end: FIND A NEW BAD GUY!

LOVED the guest star in the premiere episode, haven't seen Prinze Jr. acting in a while; again though when you get the CIA involved try and make it more dramatic! I know it sounds cliched because whenever copshows get the CIA storyline they make it pretty big (e.g. Castle, Hawaii Five-0) so it was nice getting the less dramatic and more friendly subtle communication. But it IS the premiere episode so where is the drama? (Thankfully NOT a Pellant ep. though!) I will never lose hope on Bones, it is a great show and I'm sure it will turn around!
More+
Flag
Staff
There is a new bad guy in the works for this season, and will tie back into Pelant somehow, but I do think they're resolving Pelant one way or another this season.

I have lots of objections to Pelant, not the least of which is his magic hacker skills. If they were deployed to make a larger comment on a surveillance state, I could maybe get behind it -- and this episode does make gestures to it -- but since it's not (understandably) juxtaposed against government-sanctioned surveillance, it just feels like an easy to have a villain who can do everything and anything.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members