We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

A Bones Community
Thursday 8:00 PM on FOX

Will Bones finally bite the dust after Season 10?

"I hope this year is not its last year," Peter Rice, Chairman and CEO of Fox Television Group said at the Television Critics Association summer press tour on Sunday. "It's Emily and David's last year contractually," he noted, adding that "I hope it will come back."

Similarly, Rice would like to see more of 24 following its recent resurrection via the show's Live Another Day event series this year. "I loved this season of 24, but we haven't had a specific conversation about it coming back yet," he said. "I'm sure we will in the future. It's a fantastic franchise. I think it still has many more stories to tell." 

Here's what else Rice had to say:

On how American Idol failed: 

Rice was high on Idol going into its 14th season, but he does have one gripe. "I think it is aging gracefully," he said. "[But] we haven't found, in the last two years, a group of kids who've captured the imagination of the public."

On Hieroglyph's quick demise: 

Fox gave its period drama Hieroglyph a straight-to-series order last year and previewed it during the Upfronts in May, the network canceled the series earlier this summer. "It was a really ambitious project," Rice explained. "Ultimately we looked at the first episode. It didn't really live up to the ambitions we had for it. When you take a swing that big, you want to land it. Rather than plodding through the episodes ... and hoping to fix it on the fly, we decided to stop." 

On why Glee got cut short: 

Rice said that the upcoming sixth and final season of the musical drama was cut from 22 to only 13 episodes because it allowed the network to air all the 13 episodes in a straight run instead of splitting it into two halves over a season, which apparently is how he claims Fox is "celebrating" the final season.

On So You Think You Can Dance's renewal chances: 

"We'll get to the end of the year and sit down with Nigel [Lythgoe] and see where we stand," Rice said. "I hope it comes back." 

On reconsidering the passed-over pilot Cabot College from Tina Fey and Robert Carlock: 

The project didn't get picked up for the 2014-2015 season, but Rice said it was still in development. In its initial incarnation, Margaret Cho starred as the divisive president of a  women's college in rural New Hampshire that opens its door to four men for the first time.

On Fox's new management regime: 

Gary Newman and Dana Walden won't take up the mantle of co-heads of the newly formed Fox Television Group—comprised of Fox Broadcasting Company and the 20th Century Fox Television studio—until the end of July. "We've been the odd man out in terms of how the other networks and studios have been aligned," Rice said. "Ultimately, it will be good for creative talent we partner with. We're open for business throughout the town."

TV.com's 2014 Fall Preview:
New Shows, Network Schedules, Trailers, and More

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/5/2016

Season 11 : Episode 14

Next Episode

AIRS ON 5/12/2016

Season 11 : Episode 15

41 Comments
Comments (41)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
That explains why the choice of shows are so washed up. Bones has been so milked that there's nothing left of it. I can't stand 24 and it just goes on and on. It started in 2001. It's now 2015 - What the hell! And yet, funny enough the shows that show a lot of promise seemed to be pulled off all the time. Maybe it's time for the boss of FOX to step down and it to someone who has some form of taste.
Flag
Can he explain the stupid decision to end Enlisted and Almost Human?
Flag
I still like Bones because well the char's are part of a weekly routine but that should add a new and more interesting story line to it :)
Flag
Even my mom is getting bored with Bones, and it's been her favorite show ever for years. Let it go already, Fox.
Flag
24 should not only come back but finally plan having a movie. Producers need to abandon the real time format for it. It's the only way to get it done! There's a potential trilogy out there. I'd also like to see some prequels (a mini season set before Day 1) and spinoffs.
Flag
"I hope this year is not its last year," Peter Rice, Chairman and CEO of Fox Television Group said at the Television Critics Association summer press tour on Sunday. "It's Emily and David's last year contractually," he noted, adding that "I hope it will come back."

Some people just don't know when to quit. Is he really that incapable of looking at the situation from the point of view of the fans? Even those who like the show want it to end already, instead of seeing it fizzle out after several bad seasons. I'm pretty sure most would agree that ten seasons is enough and a good number to put a period after.
Flag
put bones down and stat a angel/faith/spike spin off ,all the fans wants this
Flag
angel is older but who cares and spike,things did change with all the new slayers and now there are 2 vampires with a soul,so it could be well expliant
Flag
You know where Rice's heart lies (if he has one after paying Fox's entry fee) when he talks of franchises and not the quality of the shows per se. And in 24's case, to suggest there's been no thought or discussion of more is a poor joke with not only taking 24: Live Another Day on but ending it where it did. I can't believe most any mainstream US network would dare to leave an American hero in the hands of the Ruskies in these climes.
Flag
I wanna see Angel in something else.
Flag
Bones should have been retired already. They just don't have any new stories to tell. I've been watching since the show started but now I would like to see it come to an end.
Flag
Hieroglyph looked POTENTIALLY interesting, not that we (or at least I) knew much about it, and definitely outside the norm for Fox programming. Which was, of course, the real reason it's been cancelled.
Flag
Have 24 come back every other year for a shortened season and keep the aticipation alive.
Flag
of course we all know that 24 will come back, live another day has been a resounding success. the rest i dont care
Flag
'[24] still has many more stories to tell.'

Let's not get too carried away.
Flag
Depends on how much producers are willing to free up the format.
Flag
Well, he's right. I'm sure there are many more moles to uncover in various law enforcement agencies (have they done the FBI yet?).
Flag
Yes, Jack worked with the FBI in season 7 (Renee Walker was an FBI agent).
Flag
They better bring back 24!
Flag
Lol Bones lived longer than Angel! :)
Flag
Do u think bones will bite the dust because I don't.
Flag
Please, take Bones off before that's all that remains of the cast. Ten years was way more than enough. I was hoping last season would be the merciful end and now they're saying maybe even eleven isn't enough? No, just...no.

Flag
Honestly I feel like maybe Bones has run its course. It probably should have ended 2 maybe 3 seasons ago. The whole Pelant thing was dragged on for too long for me. The only thing I'm enjoying about Bones lately is the squints. If Emily and David are only signed on for one more season then please just let this season be the last.

As for Glee, glad its a short season I think last season was probably one of the worst. It hasn't been all that good the last 2 seasons so glad it's getting a chance to end properly but I hope that the show returns to it's roots and gets back to what it was good at and that's making me sing along and laugh.
Flag
I'd love for them to bring back 24, even if they still feel the need to cut it down to 12 episodes. I really liked what they did with this past season.
Flag
I don't see why they couldn't have had more episodes for Glee and just not air them in the fall, so then when it does air it could be 18-24 episodes in a row, that'd be even better than 13, Fox! but whatever, it's probably all going to suck anyway lol

Bones could also end and I'd be fine with it, it just keeps going downhill and now this whole murder or whatever plot is going to be as stupid as the Pelant one.
Flag
for Glee .. Cory Monteith was the Soul of the show and without him the show run soullessly with Broken Heart

i hoped they ended it in the last season , but the finale was stupid
good thing they're ending it with 13 weeks

Flag
I liked Monteith, but Glee lost its mind long before it lost that soul. About 2-3 seasons ago it devolved to a group of multiple-personality characters with no consistency or continuity. The show has basically become a series of preachy liberal public service announcements. The merciful thing to do would be to kill it cleanly.
Flag
It THINKS it's liberal but with all the slut-shaming, eating-disorder shaming, etc it can't even get that right.
Flag
There's probably lots of opinions on when Glee lost the greatness it had in season 1, but I agree, it was long before the sad circumstance of Monteith's self-manslaughter(?) (involuntary). (I put it around middle of season 3.)
Flag
More Bauer, less Bones.

One show proves that it's got plenty left in the tank while another proves that it's tank ran dry years ago.
Flag
We need Season 10 right here, right now...Bauer Power!!!
Flag
More 24 please.
Flag
There was so much spin from this guy that I'm dizzy just reading all that.
Flag
Shorter seasons of 13 or fewer episodes short start being the norm for broadcast television; it's a model that works very well for premium and basic cable. Then, almost all series would have a chance for a straight-through airing of episodes, just like (ugh!), Glee. And, I believe there would be fewer weak episodes or simply episodes to fulfill contracts. Essentially, we would have a Fall and Spring season, plus whatever tripe the networks want to try to feed us during the summer months.
Flag
No way, every show leaves me wanting more and I don't know anyone who says "wow that show was great but if it were only a few episodes shorter". The only thing that the networks still have going for them is the longer seasons, i've always thought if the cable channels went to a 20 episode format it would improve their already great transition to serialized programming. If the networks reduced their number of shows it would be a huge leap backwards.
Flag
"I don't know anyone who says 'wow that show was great but if it were only a few episodes shorter.'"

Really? I've heard that very complaint made about 24, that usually hours 14-17 or so were starting to drag and tended to be a bit lame. Think of Kim Bauer being harassed by a cougar kind of lame. And don't even get me started on sitcom "clip" episodes.

Narrative needs aside, economics will eventually pave the way for shorter seasons. It's damn tough to keep viewers' attention from September through May anymore. By the way, I say this that as someone who works for broadcast television. I'm not all that happy about the decline of the broadcast networks, but it seems inevitable.
Flag
I'm not sure about that suggestion. I think less than 13 episodes per season may not really be enough for some scripted broadcast TV shows. "Abbreviated" seasons (19 episodes or less) for broadcast TV shows becoming the norm? Unlikely. I'd rather have just 20 episode seasons for the broadcast nets' scripted shows, or maybe 16-episode seasons at the very least.
Flag
I stopped watching Bones when the baby was born.

One possible reason for American Idol's demise is that it is now an old formula and no one I know of has gone on to change the sound of music, let alone become an "idol". Most of them seem to have had more success in TV and movies.

The Hieroglyph response makes little sense without the context of what it was they were hoping for and why the pilot did not deliver it. Why would it have "plodded" along to gett to whatever it was they wanted?
Flag
Hooray! There's hope for more Jack Bauer dammits and epic kills!!
Flag
Follow this Show
Members