Bones Forums

Thursday 8:00 PM on FOXIn Season

Addiction by any other name. Please BEWARE OF SPOILERS

Geri08

[1]Nov 21, 2010
    • level: 31

Ok guys...This has been something I have been thinking about for a while now but was confirmed for me in the 'out of character Booth' we saw at the end of the last episode 'Babe in the Bar'...It just clicked with me there, in that moment where Booth ran off to 'have sex' with Hannah why our Booth has not been himself since he came home from Afghanistan...Booth is addicted to Sex...

He has his 'gambling addiction' under control to a certain degree at the moment...When he came home from war last time he was addicted to gambling...This time, we have to believe that he has witnessed all the trauma that he did before...He has come back reinforced with the same horrors, probably more so because Booth never imagined that he would ever go back in the first place...He has being trying all these years, with Bones, to even his 'kill card' with catching bad guys and putting them away...We all know that Booth hates to kill, but I am sure that he has had to do this while in Afghanistan this time...Hannah even said this too when she was telling Bones about Booth saving her...'Seeley never goes for the kill unless he has to'....The way Booth ran off there at the end of the last episode just showed me that he is addicted to sex...He admitted to Bones that that was why he was rushing off to be with Hannah...He has been so out of character since he came back from Afghanistan, not wanting to spend time with Bones like he used to, but more time with Hannah now...He can not have Bones (or he feels that he can't after his last proposal to her) but he has Hannah...We have seen it...The Producers have gone out of their way to show it to us in every episode that Hannah has been in so far...Booth only wants one thing from Hannah right now and that is Sex...We have seen how hurt Bones has been at times...I am sure she is very confused with Booth along with everything else at the moment...This is the guy that preached 'making love' to her, 'being in love' with someone for ever...He told her that he wanted to be with her, but she turned him down for totally unselfish reasons at the time, but he did not see that....I think that this is where 'her friendship' with Hannah is going to come in...SN has said that Bones and Hannah are friends...I have not seen this and I know alot of you out there have not seen it either...Hannah will probably confide in Bones (just in general talk) that Booth always wants sex...Of course this will surprise Bones because she knows how her Booth always felt about that...

I think Sweets has seen things, recognised things in Booth so far...He has gone to him a couple of times over his relationship with Hannah...I think, as time goes on he will see more...Maybe Bones will talk to him because she is worried about Booth...What I am thinking though, is what will happen when Hannah goes...We know that Booth will torpedo that relationship...At this stage we do not know how or why (but we all have our own ideas on that)...We have also heard in spoilers before the season even started that Booth is going to have alot of emotional and psychological scars later on in the season...These will probably show themselves more when Hannah is gone...At the moment Booth is able to control his general everyday life to a certain degree because he has Hannah to alleviate all those anxieties right now...but Hannah is going and when she does I think that we are going to see a whole new side of Booth...We do not like him right now, but I think that we will all ache for him in time...

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

penelope1985

[2]Nov 21, 2010
    • level: 21
    Booth is frustrating at the moment... yet I can't blame him entirely. I don't believe his new addiction is sex. I believe he desperately wants not to be in love with Brennan. He wants to be the perfect boyfriend to the perfect girl. He wants the house at the suburbs with the white fence. He wants the forever after... He wants it with Brennan, so now he needs to convince himself that he wants it with Hannah too...

Basically I wouldn't want to be him... he wants to forget Brennan while having to see her all the time... NOT GONNA HAPPEN. So he tries to extricate Brennan from all other parts of his life... and fill those parts with Hannah... Booth needs Hannah right now... What I expect is that Booth will keep this on until Brennan breaks down and tell him she loves him. And then he will have to make his choice...

carioca22

[3]Nov 21, 2010
    • level: 15
    penelope1985 wrote:
    Booth is frustrating at the moment... yet I can't blame him entirely. I don't believe his new addiction is sex. I believe he desperately wants not to be in love with Brennan. He wants to be the perfect boyfriend to the perfect girl. He wants the house at the suburbs with the white fence. He wants the forever after... He wants it with Brennan, so now he needs to convince himself that he wants it with Hannah too...

Basically I wouldn't want to be him... he wants to forget Brennan while having to see her all the time... NOT GONNA HAPPEN. So he tries to extricate Brennan from all other parts of his life... and fill those parts with Hannah... Booth needs Hannah right now... What I expect is that Booth will keep this on until Brennan breaks down and tell him she loves him. And then he will have to make his choice...

I guess that' pretty much it.
    He is trying not to be around Brennan as much as possible.
    Therefore no Jeffersonian, no drinks in the Founding Fathers. He only sits in the counter with her in the Royal Dinner (unless they are with someone else). And he shrugs all her comments off. No eye contact if possible. And definitely no guy hugs He's running.

Geri08

[4]Nov 21, 2010
    Yes...I agree with you both...He does need Hannah right now and he is trying to have the 'perfect life' with her...But we know and he knows that he is only settling for second best...It's his behaviour though that I am speaking about...He is not the same since he came back...he is cold and he is shallow...He has not been himself at all...I know that he is 'trying' to live the life he wants, but he has cut Bones out (outside of work) nearly entirely...When Hannah is around it's all about the sex...She was away in the last epsisode and he was happy enough to go along with Bones to the Founding Father's to spend some time with his 'friends' for something that most of us would consider very important (even if we did know beforehand)...However, as soon as he got word from Hannah she was home, he ran off to be with her 'for sex', as freely admitted to Bones...He could have asked Hannah to come along too...It's not like, the team have not included her before...He is trying to 'live the life' but he is also doing so in totally uncharacteristically Booth mode...He seems to be cutting everyone out of his life while trying to do so...What I mean, is that I can see that Booth is struggling right now and this is coming out in the way that he behaves...He might think that he is doing it all to be with Hannah, but there are other deeper lying causes...I believe that when Hannah goes, Booth is going to have some kind of meltdown of his own...

carioca22

[5]Nov 21, 2010
    He probably will.

Maybe all the sex is a way to desguise the lack of things in common to talk about.
    It reminds me a quote from a movie called Speed:
    Jack: I have to warn you, I've heard relationships based on intense experiences never work.
    Annie: OK. We'll have to base it on sex then.
    Jack: Whatever you say, ma'am. Anyway, all speculation at this point. I don't know what the writers are trying to show us or where they are taking Booth's character exactly.
    Maybe the 9th will clear it a little.
    If nothing really moving happens on the 9th, I'm gonna be so pizzed.

Geri08

[6]Nov 21, 2010
    carioca22 wrote:
    He probably will.

Maybe all the sex is a way to desguise the lack of things in common to talk about.
    It reminds me a quote from a movie called Speed:
    Jack: I have to warn you, I've heard relationships based on intense experiences never work.
    Annie: OK. We'll have to base it on sex then.
    Jack: Whatever you say, ma'am. Anyway, all speculation at this point. I don't know what the writers are trying to show us or where they are taking Booth's character exactly.
    Maybe the 9th will clear it a little.
    If nothing really moving happens on the 9th, I'm gonna be so pizzed.

Lol! Have to say I thought of that one too (Speed) when Sweets cornered Booth in his office...As you say, all speculation at this stage with regards to Booth...you never know what the writers and the PTB have planned...

carioca22

[7]Nov 21, 2010
    I'm not sure why but I never forgot that Speed line.
    It seems to fit doesn't it?

Some would say that BB would also be a relationship based on intense experiences, but I desagree. Have they gone through some risky, deadly situations? Sure. Did that help strengthening their bond? Yes. But they lived much more than this. They had all this time to figure each other out and to even mold its own behavior based on the other thoughts and feelings. To grow from partners to friends and to lovers (which they would never admit, but they were). In conclusion, a real relationship.

You know Leila's blog, Everything Happens Eventually?

She always have good insights about those things.
    I'm waiting for her post on this episode.
    Let's see what she has to say about Booth's new behaviour.

penelope1985

[8]Nov 21, 2010
    Ιi'm gonna say it again... BB will have sex at the end of the 9th... It makes sense... And then they will b******t each other about it for at least 6 more episodes...

Geri08

[9]Nov 21, 2010
    penelope1985 wrote:
    Ιi'm gonna say it again... BB will have sex at the end of the 9th... It makes sense... And then they will b******t each other about it for at least 6 more episodes...

And I will say it again, I hope you are right!...

penelope1985

[10]Nov 21, 2010
    Geri08 wrote:
    penelope1985 wrote:

Οοοοh how I hope I'm right too... This situation has to turn out to something big and meaningful...

carioca22

[11]Nov 22, 2010
    penelope1985 wrote:
    Geri08 wrote:
    penelope1985 wrote:

Οοοοh how I hope I'm right too... This situation has to turn out to something big and meaningful...

I wish I could say you're right too. But I doubt anything that meaningfull will happen.

I think something really really small and subtle will happen in the end. So subtle it will be completely open to speculation. That's how Bones is, the more frustrating the better. Let's torture our audience.
    Let's hope I'm wrong.

JetAnderson

[12]Nov 22, 2010
    • level: 3
    I don't think he a SA but something I think a lot of your analysis is correct.

ARollingStone11

[13]Nov 22, 2010
    • level: 3
    penelope1985 wrote:

If you have high for them to have sex in episode 9 you'll probably be disappointed beyond believe, just like every fan of Bones gets every time "something big" is about to happen. Apart from that, since when is sex an addiction? So when Hannah is out of town Booth masturbates with no end in sight?

He might be struggling with having gone to war again, and he'll probably have some sort of a meltdown further down the line, but a sexaddict he is not.

penelope1985

[14]Nov 22, 2010
    ARollingStone11 wrote:
    penelope1985 wrote:

If you have high for them to have sex in episode 9 you'll probably be disappointed beyond believe, just like every fan of Bones gets every time "something big" is about to happen. Apart from that, since when is sex an addiction? So when Hannah is out of town Booth masturbates with no end in sight?

He might be struggling with having gone to war again, and he'll probably have some sort of a meltdown further down the line, but a sexaddict he is not.

Αgreed he is not. And yeah the show will probably let me down again although this is the important episode that has been less promoted ever... so s^^t has to go down there... I don't really think they'll have sex I really hope they will, and this would be a great opportunity for them... but any major development will do for me...

Geri08

[15]Nov 23, 2010
    ARollingStone11 wrote:
    penelope1985 wrote:

Sex is an addiction, like any other addiction, when there is a dependency or a compulsion for it...I suppose you could say I have worded this Forum a bit too strongly...but right now I feel that Booth has a dependency on his relationship with Hannah and right now his relationship with Hannah is about nothing but sex...I know he is trying to move on and I can see that...but Booth has been 'totally not himself' since he came back and I could see that as just trying to move on again...but I think it is slightly more than that...I think he has come back with problems, problems that did not just stem from Afghanistan but those too that have built up over the years...There's a culmination of sorts at the moment for Booth and I think we will see more of this when Hannah is gone...

penelope1985

[16]Nov 23, 2010
    Geri08 wrote:

Sex is an addiction, like any other addiction, when there is a dependency or a compulsion for it...I suppose you could say I have worded this Forum a bit too strongly...but right now I feel that Booth has a dependency on his relationship with Hannah and right now his relationship with Hannah is about nothing but sex...I know he is trying to move on and I can see that...but Booth has been 'totally not himself' since he came back and I could see that as just trying to move on again...but I think it is slightly more than that...I think he has come back with problems, problems that did not just stem from Afghanistan but those too that have built up over the years...There's a culmination of sorts at the moment for Booth and I think we will see more of this when Hannah is gone...

Yes Booth is addicted to being in a relationship...

Starprincess13

[17]Nov 25, 2010
    • level: 24

penelope1985 wrote:
    Geri08 wrote:
    Yes Booth is addicted to being in a relationship...

Exactly. I don't know if I think he is necessarily addicted to sex. I think he is addicted to the idea of being in a good relationship and the thought that he has moved on and is happy without Brennan.

Geri08

[18]Nov 26, 2010
    OK, Leaving addiction aside for now...Question...How would you account for Booth's behaviour at the end of the Babe in the Bar? Why do you think he ran off the way he did to 'have sex' with Hannah...leaving Bones in particular having admitted as such, but also his 'friends' at an important time in their lives...Anyone any ideas?

penelope1985

[19]Nov 26, 2010
    He just missed his girlfriend.... obviously they have a great relationship... the problem is that it is not the relationship he wants... but it is the one he has...

carioca22

[20]Nov 26, 2010
    penelope1985 wrote:
    He just missed his girlfriend.... obviously they have a great relationship... the problem is that it is not the relationship he wants... but it is the one he has...

It's not just it. There's something else underneath.
    The Booth we used to know doesn't ditch and lie to friends like that.