Bones Forums

Thursday 8:00 PM on FOXBetween Seasons

Bones-like show Recommendations

qxface

[1]May 25, 2008
    • level: 2

My wife is having a difficult pregnancy so we've been spending a lot of time taking it easy in bed watching TV. We watched all three seasons of Bones in about a month and she loved it. Can you think of any other shows she might enjoy?

She likes all the differnt aspects of Bones: the forensic mumbo-jumbo, the the funny teasing jokes, but especially the cuteness between Bones and Booth. Duh, right? That's why everybody loves the show. They are adorable together.

Thanks for any ideas

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Maron-chan

[2]May 25, 2008
    • level: 18
    well, I don't know american tv programme that well, but from what I've heard, CSI is pretty scientific and crime-oriented. No wait, if she likes Bones because it's funny, maybe she should watch House, I've heard it's hilarious AND with all the scientific mumbo jumbo

Bleumke

[3]May 25, 2008
    • level: 14
    If you click on summary (it's a tag) and then scroll down. At the bottom on the right there is a couple of programms that are like Bones. I hope you will enjoy another serie

Official_squint

[4]May 25, 2008
    • level: 13
    Erm a few of my favourite shows that are in some way like Bones are House, Grey's anatomy, The X-files and Dexter.

benboy606

[5]May 25, 2008
    • level: 7

For a show in the same genre as Bones, see "House". It's a medical dramedy that's fu ckin' fantastic. It's not as, "ooooh! a mystery," but it has scientific stuff.

Um, for another genre with amazing shows and quirky dialouge, see "Veronica Mars". It's hilariuos, suspensful, and cute! Has awesome relationships, great lines, and suspensful mysteries. A must see.

And just to promote a fav: "Weeds". It's definitely not for everyone, but don't dismiss it as shallow out of the blue for it's subject manner. It takes on the subject very maturely, IMO, and mixes comedy with drama (more comedy) elegantly. Great show.

Jacks_Son

[6]May 25, 2008
    • level: 13

I don't know if there ARE any shows that are "Bones-like". There are certain aspects of Bones that are unique, but there are also aspects that can be found in other shows. It depends upon what aspects you find more stimulating. Going down my list of favorites, there are: Burn Notice, Chuck, House, and Pushing Daisies. However, if you and your wife want to watch, what I consider, one of the best shows on cable television (yes, I consider House and Lost probably the top two shows on mainstream television) then I say you should give The Closer a try. The Closer is flat out one of the best shows on cable, if not one of the best shows on television, period. Yes, it's a cop show, but it's unlike any cop show you have ever seen. The stories are top-notch, but where the show excels is in the inter-personal relationships and attention to details. If you like the family-like camarderie of Bones, then you'll enjoy that same such camaraderie in the squad that comprises Brenda Leigh Johnson's high profile murder team.

Besides, Kyra Sedgwick gives an Emmy award winning presentation playing Brenda Leigh. If I were to award the Emmy to two of the best actors on television, I would select Kyra Sedgwick and Hugh Laurie ("House").

Joy_keenan

[7]May 25, 2008
    • level: 6
    I have to second The Close. It is great show.

Angel2408

[8]May 26, 2008
    • level: 9

I totally agree on The Closer, great show, although not comparable from a UST point of view. For that I'd have to say The X-Files and maybe Moonlighting, the "ancestors" of Bones. For the crime stuff I'd recommend CSI or NCIS. House is an excellent choice as well.

JLeo06

[9]May 26, 2008
    • level: 5

HI-

This might not be what you're looking for but I love The Office. Bones was the only show I woud watch regularly until the writer strike and I discovered The Office. It is hilarious. The characters are quirky, and there is the Jim-Pam relationship. Bones and The Office don't have a lot in common except for that they probably have the most interesting characters of any tv shows. That is what I look for. Other than that you could try Crossing Jordan, it is no longer on air but you can get the DVDs. I also like Cold Case and NCIS occasionally.

HurryUpSlowly

[10]May 26, 2008
    JLeo06 wrote:

HI-

This might not be what you're looking for but I love The Office. Bones was the only show I woud watch regularly until the writer strike and I discovered The Office. It is hilarious. The characters are quirky, and there is the Jim-Pam relationship. Bones and The Office don't have a lot in common except for that they probably have the most interesting characters of any tv shows. That is what I look for. Other than that you could try Crossing Jordan, it is no longer on air but you can get the DVDs. I also like Cold Case and NCIS occasionally.

Or... you could try the original British version of The Office,with the guy who invented it, Ricky Gervais. Guy's a genius at making you cringe and laugh at the same time, I swear. That is, if you like cringing while laughing, it's all a matter of taste.

anile84

[11]May 26, 2008
    Some of my favorites: Grey's anatomy (your wife will love this i'm sure), Desperate Housewives, Moonlighting, Veronica Mars is pretty great and for a good comedy How I Met Your Mother. I also liked the first season of Shark, Wood is excellent!!

SlytherinSquint

[12]May 26, 2008

The X-Files ia always good.....

And, so is Dexter....that is one of my second favorite shows right now. (Bones gets favorite all to itself)

That's about it for shows like that....unless ones like Forensic Files and Skeleton Stories count, which I'm sure they don't.

I've never watched it, but my cousins tell me that...I think it's called Medium...is really, really good.

angellover1991

[13]May 26, 2008

My favs are

crime--> Law and Order (SVU), CSI, NCIS, The Closer, Crossing Jordan and Women's Murder CLub (it's now offair tho)

medical --> Grey's Anatomy

maryjustine143x

[14]May 26, 2008
    • level: 8

xfiles is like the same show. with aliens. well not really the same. but the partner relationship with the witty comments are there for the most part.

=] i just finished watching season 6. now im on 7..

or buffy / angel.... they're completely different than bones but david boreanaz (the guy who plays booth) is in them. =]

CupcakeBean

[15]May 26, 2008
    • level: 8
    Definitely give The X-files a try like other people have said. That was my absolute favorite show until I discovered Bones. X-files has the fun partner chemistry that we all love and some funny stuff too. Highly recommended.

BBLovin

[16]May 28, 2008
    • level: 11
    The Closer is great. I also like Cold Case, Law and Order: SVU, Dexter, and Medium. A couple other good shows are Saving Grace (on TNT with The Closer) and Moonlight (which only aired sixteen episodes and just got canceled).

Flight815Down

[17]Jun 20, 2008

OK

so on I go

LOST!! House!! The Office (American(never seen British one))!! Life!! Standoff (off air )!! Raines!! Phsyche!! Heroes!! Pushing Daises!! CHUCK!!

I_AM_BRENNAN

[18]Jun 20, 2008
    • level: 4
    I like dexter a lot (not more than bones though) and house, maybe CSINY or just CSI um,not fan of CSI Miami though. hmmm there really is no show like bones, oh crossing jordan (i never realized how much they are similar, wow woody=booth jordan=bones ="bugs"=jack Nigel= Zack, though just to reinforce my point, BONES IS THE BEST!)

sfchemist

[19]Jun 21, 2008

House is probably the most similar show in terms of feel although medical based rather than crime.

A good crime show in my opinion is Numb3rs. Its got mathematical mumbojumbo in it and although it dosen't have as much humour in it as Bones it does have a nice family feel to it as it centres around two brothers (one FBI the other a mathematician). The humour becomes more apparent as the characters develop and you get to know them a bit better (seasons 2 and 3 are a vast improvement over S1)

Good luck with the pregnacy!