Bones's new rivals.

evil_guru23

[1]May 19, 2010
    • level: 6

According to CBS's Fall 2010 Schedule, Bones will have new rivals. Survivor is moved to Wednesdays, and Bones will now compete with Big Bang Theory, and $h*t My Dad Says (a new show) during the 8 & 8:30 pm Thursday time slot. The question: is this good or bad for Bones?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

penelope1985

[2]May 19, 2010
    • level: 21
    evil_guru23 wrote:

According to CBS's Fall 2010 Schedule, Bones will have new rivals. Survivor is moved to Wednesdays, and Bones will now compete with Big Bang Theory, and $h*t My Dad Says (a new show) during the 8 & 8:30 pm Thursday time slot. The question: is this good or bad for Bones?

We've already mentioned this in Spoilers for Season 6

OnePerCentClub

[3]May 19, 2010
    • level: 35
    I don't think it's that bad. Think about it. If you really like a show, I doubt you will DVR it just because there is another show at the same time, a show you've never watched.

And it doesn't seem to me that Bones' fans are the kind of people that like TBBT. I believe the show is silly.

Bones is way more interesting.

penelope1985

[4]May 19, 2010
    I watch TBBT.

Starprincess13

[5]May 19, 2010
    • level: 24

penelope1985 wrote:
    I watch TBBT.

I do too although not regularly. More like I'll watch if it's on but I don't watch or record it every week.

I must admit, that I'm a little worried about Bones. I wouldn't want it to lose viewers going up against some pretty popular shows like 30 rock and The Big Bang Theory.

penelope1985

[6]May 19, 2010
    Starprincess13 wrote:

penelope1985 wrote:
    I watch TBBT.

I do too although not regularly. More like I'll watch if it's on but I don't watch or record it every week.

I must admit, that I'm a little worried about Bones. I wouldn't want it to lose viewers going up against some pretty popular shows like 30 rock and The Big Bang Theory.

30 Rock is perfect but it's only popular in Awards shows

BarryWeen3

[7]May 19, 2010
    • level: 14
    I wouldn't discount the power of The Big Bang Theory, plus I think that other show stars William Shatner based of his Twitter feeds. So you've got The Big Bang Theory whose characters love Star Trek followed by a show starring an actor from that show. That pairing is probably going to give Bones a run for their money or ratings in this case.

OnePerCentClub

[8]May 19, 2010
    Mmhh, CBS switched The Mentalist and Private Practice still did very well... With both shows getting strong ratings.

Mitoch

[9]May 19, 2010
    • level: 11

penelope1985 wrote:
    evil_guru23 wrote:

What does this have to do with spoilers? Since when does what another network program against Bones qualify as a spoiler?

OnePerCentClub

[10]May 19, 2010
    Nothing

Starprincess13

[11]May 19, 2010
    • level: 24

Mitoch wrote:

penelope1985 wrote:
    evil_guru23 wrote:

What does this have to do with spoilers? Since when does what another network program against Bones qualify as a spoiler?

No idea. I guess the discussion just originated there for some reason. It's probably a good idea to have another thread for it though since not everyone will read the Spoiler thread (namely the spoiler-free people) but might want to comment on the topic.

BarryWeen3

[12]May 20, 2010
    Mitoch wrote:

penelope1985 wrote:
    evil_guru23 wrote:

Nothing whatsoever...why do you ask?

d3x0x

[13]May 20, 2010
    • level: 7

I'd say that the competition for TBBT comes from NBC's comedy night that is situated on Thursdays as Bones is quite a different show. Before you say that you watch both TBBT and Bones, remember that you are a fan currently writing on a forum about a TV show so you are probably a more avid TV watcher than most aswell as someone with a more eclectic taste in TV. I'm thinking that it's TBBT that has some challenges ahead and not Bones.

Mitoch

[14]May 20, 2010
    • level: 11

BarryWeen3 wrote:
    Mitoch wrote:

penelope1985 wrote:
    evil_guru23 wrote:

Because an above responder said this discussion was in the "Spoilers for Season 6" thread.

BarryWeen3

[15]May 20, 2010
    Mitoch wrote:

BarryWeen3 wrote:
    Mitoch wrote:

penelope1985 wrote:
    evil_guru23 wrote:

Because an above responder said this discussion was in the "Spoilers for Season 6" thread.

Oh, I know why you were asking, I was just being facetious...

Stripes55

[16]May 20, 2010
    • level: 4

Thing is, in the age of DVR and TiVo, this shouldn't really matter. BUT, because of the archaic way the Nielsen ratings are compiled (RIP Jericho), it may have an effect, but my guess is it would be mostly on either TBBT or whatever it is NBC has on Thursdays (sorry, I just don't get the appeal of their current Thursday night lineup, although in fairness I've never seen an episode of 30 Rock, so it could be hilarious, for all I know). With Bones being an hour show, I think more people who watch bothwill DVR TBBT, and probably ignore the Shatner thing altogether.

kanniballl

[17]Jul 14, 2010
    • level: 18

Stripes55 wrote:

Thing is, in the age of DVR and TiVo, this shouldn't really matter. BUT, because of the archaic way the Nielsen ratings are compiled (RIP Jericho), it may have an effect, but my guess is it would be mostly on either TBBT or whatever it is NBC has on Thursdays

For me, if it's a choice between a 30-minute show and a 1-hour show starting at the same time I'll watch the 30 minute show Live and immediately watch the time-shifted 1-hour show afterwards.

This way I'm only watching commercials for the first 30 minutes, after that I can watch the 1-hour show without any.

I'm a regular fan of Big Bang Theory, so I'll probably DVR Bones instead.

As for Nielson, I'm not a member of the group so I don't affect those numbers.