Bones Forums

Thursday 8:00 PM on FOXBetween Seasons

Dr Saroyan. Your thoughts.

  • Avatar of kgmjdm

    kgmjdm

    [1]May 3, 2012
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 4

    Dr. Saroyan ALWAYS says in some threatning way that she's the boss. I find it very annoying in a professional setting, especially when she seems to have less credentials than the rest of the "Team". I know this is not real life, but if you want to get absorbed in the show you pretend it is.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of kennyljs

    kennyljs

    [2]May 5, 2012
    • member since: 06/07/05
    • level: 26
    • rank: Bow Flex
    • posts: 781
    I don't find it annoying. A boss will always act like a boss. It's a privilege you might add. You should be glad Bones is not the boss. If not, only Angela and Hodgins will still be around. The rest will be out the door.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of kgmjdm

    kgmjdm

    [3]May 5, 2012
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 4

    I am not up on all episodes of Bones. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Jack Hodgins family was the major contributor to the Jeffersonian ? Would not that make him the de facto boss ?

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of BarryWeen3

    BarryWeen3

    [4]May 5, 2012
    • member since: 09/28/05
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 2,145

    kgmjdm wrote:


    I am not up on all episodes of Bones. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Jack Hodgins family was the major contributor to the Jeffersonian ? Would not that make him the de facto boss ?



    That was brought up in the first season when I think when Zack lets it slip of how rich Hodgins is and Booth deduces he's a member of the Cantelever group and says that makes him the defacto boss.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Geri08

    Geri08

    [5]May 6, 2012
    • member since: 03/22/08
    • level: 31
    • rank: Blues Brother
    • posts: 11,631

    Well we all know that Cam is the 'official boss' per se in the Lab...But, we also know, when it really comes down to it, Bones rules the roost. ...Even Cam told her so in the 'Beginning in the End' at the end...


    Jack Hodgins might be the 'unofficial boss' due to the money he donates...but he is quite happy to work as a lab rat, doing what he loves best...I would say, when push comes to shove, our Hodgins could push his weight around if he seriously wanted to, needed to or if the need arose and a friend or loves one was threatened in any way...

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of bonebooth

    bonebooth

    [6]May 7, 2012
    • member since: 12/27/10
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 258

    I've always found Cam to be a bit annoying. I would still prefer Dr. Goodman. I know she's the boss, however, she always seems to be trying to prove that point. Also, she always seems like she's trying to challenge Bones. Just my opinion. I also find her to be extremely sarcastic.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of umbala-umbala

    umbala-umbala

    [7]May 28, 2012
    • member since: 08/29/06
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 54
    Cam has the wackiest haircut ever this season.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Geri08

    Geri08

    [8]May 29, 2012
    • member since: 03/22/08
    • level: 31
    • rank: Blues Brother
    • posts: 11,631
    bonebooth wrote:

    I've always found Cam to be a bit annoying. I would still prefer Dr. Goodman. I know she's the boss, however, she always seems to be trying to prove that point. Also, she always seems like she's trying to challenge Bones. Just my opinion. I also find her to be extremely sarcastic.



    You and I are on the same wavelength Linda. I really did not like her in the beginning...even when Booth and her broke up....even after she nearly died! I found that right up until Glowing Bones in the Old Stonehouse, she was always trying to one better Bones. It seemed that she was still trying to get back with Booth...This episode was sort of the break from that although there were still times when I thought she had another agenda. There does seem to be a rivalry between them but there is no doubt in my mind as to who comes out on top...the one that has no doubts, the one who does not even have to try...BONES ...Cam seems to be always trying to prove otherwise, but I think that even she realises that she is on a losing battle...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Gilda

    Gilda

    [9]Jun 2, 2012
    • member since: 05/17/12
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 42

    Geri08 wrote:
    bonebooth wrote:

    I've always found Cam to be a bit annoying. I would still prefer Dr. Goodman. I know she's the boss, however, she always seems to be trying to prove that point. Also, she always seems like she's trying to challenge Bones. Just my opinion. I also find her to be extremely sarcastic.
    You and I are on the same wavelength Linda. I really did not like her in the beginning...even when Booth and her broke up....even after she nearly died! I found that right up until Glowing Bones in the Old Stonehouse, she was always trying to one better Bones. It seemed that she was still trying to get back with Booth...This episode was sort of the break from that although there were still times when I thought she had another agenda. There does seem to be a rivalry between them but there is no doubt in my mind as to who comes out on top...the one that has no doubts, the one who does not even have to try...BONES ...Cam seems to be always trying to prove otherwise, but I think that even she realises that she is on a losing battle...


    i agree with both of you guys. I think the reason why Cam wasnt as likable in the begining had to do with that whole power struggle b/w her and Bones, so in a way she was like a mini villain. I think it took about a season b4 i started really liking her. I think one of the things that helped was that truce that she had with Bones which allowed Bones to overide Cam's authority 3x per case(srry can't remember which episode that started happening) and also when she officially stopped seeing Booth. but idk i think shes a fun character now and is useful because unlike some of the other ppl working there she will make sure that they follow the rules and not go too overboard (even though that can make her look mean).

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Geri08

    Geri08

    [10]Jun 4, 2012
    • member since: 03/22/08
    • level: 31
    • rank: Blues Brother
    • posts: 11,631
    Gilda wrote:

    Geri08 wrote:
    bonebooth wrote:

    I've always found Cam to be a bit annoying. I would still prefer Dr. Goodman. I know she's the boss, however, she always seems to be trying to prove that point. Also, she always seems like she's trying to challenge Bones. Just my opinion. I also find her to be extremely sarcastic.
    You and I are on the same wavelength Linda. I really did not like her in the beginning...even when Booth and her broke up....even after she nearly died! I found that right up until Glowing Bones in the Old Stonehouse, she was always trying to one better Bones. It seemed that she was still trying to get back with Booth...This episode was sort of the break from that although there were still times when I thought she had another agenda. There does seem to be a rivalry between them but there is no doubt in my mind as to who comes out on top...the one that has no doubts, the one who does not even have to try...BONES ...Cam seems to be always trying to prove otherwise, but I think that even she realises that she is on a losing battle...


    i agree with both of you guys. I think the reason why Cam wasnt as likable in the begining had to do with that whole power struggle b/w her and Bones, so in a way she was like a mini villain. I think it took about a season b4 i started really liking her. I think one of the things that helped was that truce that she had with Bones which allowed Bones to overide Cam's authority 3x per case(srry can't remember which episode that started happening) and also when she officially stopped seeing Booth. but idk i think shes a fun character now and is useful because unlike some of the other ppl working there she will make sure that they follow the rules and not go too overboard (even though that can make her look mean).



    Even when she made that 'truce' of sorts with Bones, I felt it was really only because she was afraid of losing Booth and she knew she would...Booth had told her that he would always side with Bones...The squints would also fly the nest if Bones were to leave...and the reputation of the Jeffersonian was everything to her at the time...For a long time she was still very much annoyed by Bones...Even in 'Widow's Son' she was still trying to get Booth on side...That sort of went by the wayside along the way...but that rivalry has remained to a lesser degree...I suppose you could say in one sense that it is a healthy rivalry...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of drmayeda

    drmayeda

    [11]Sep 19, 2012
    • member since: 09/16/05
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 29
    technically yes, his families foundation is one of the largest. He prefers not to be guided by his wealth and just work the science. this was all covered in the first season. Their were hardly episodes where his wealth was mentioned . Maybe five at the most
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of poisoneyes

    poisoneyes

    [12]Nov 21, 2012
    • member since: 02/01/07
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 644

    I don't think that she is doing anything wrong by stating "She is the boss". Maybe overdoes it at times, but otherwise, she walked into a place where everyone is strong minded, and already has a problem with authority.


    In real life, it is hard enough to start a new job as being a "boss" and not having others want to follow you, because their loyalties may lie somewhere else. Sometimes it does take a reminder for those people that no matter what they think, she is still accountable for the teams actions, and therefore, would want to know everything that is going around.


    Hodgins, for example, has a hatred of someone in any type of authority role. He sometimes needs to be reminded that he is not in charge. (Although, we all know he can be, but he himself choices to just be a worker)


    Can Cam tone it down a little? Yes, she can. But when she first arrived, and everyone kept going around what she wanted, she had to make it a point that they knew exactly where she stands.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of kanniballl

    kanniballl

    [13]Nov 26, 2012
    • member since: 07/02/03
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 3,312

    drmayeda wrote:
    technically yes, his families foundation is one of the largest. He prefers not to be guided by his wealth and just work the science. this was all covered in the first season. Their were hardly episodes where his wealth was mentioned . Maybe five at the most



    Yeh, it doesn't come up often. But it does come up, and I'd say more in passing recently compared to way back. Lately more in a family sense, like providing for Angela and their child and stuff.



    Past references I vaguely remember


    - Zack's "reveal" to Angela


    - Hodgins telling the old Boss he didn't want to do a fund raiser, and that technically he was his boss. The old boss kind of laughed it off and teased him to try playing that card, or something.


    - Hodgins and Angela wanting to get married the first time, with the PI talking about his wealth


    - Grave Digger kidnapping Hodgins and Bones, and a couple of instances when referring TO the Grave Digger episodes (using his resources to hunt him/her down, etc).


    - For the 15 minutes that people thought Hodgins was Gormogon


    - Every now and then when referring to his marriage to Angela or the raising of their child

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of kanniballl

    kanniballl

    [14]Nov 26, 2012
    • member since: 07/02/03
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 3,312

    Cam was bossier in earlier episodes. They toned it down since, either due to fan response or just because Cam just accepted the fact that even though she's the boss... that Bones is really in charge. But she has to keep re-asserting the fact to the Squints that "Remember I'm the boss, no Brennan"



    However, even back then I couldn't blame her. Sure, in some jobs the boss can kind the finger down and blame the help. The old saying "s*** rolls down hill" comes to mind.


    A boss is a boss, especially in a setting like the Jeffersonian. In some jobs: it's the BOSS that gets hit in the face with slip-ups, mistakes, failures, PR disasters, etc. So if your people aren't causing chaos (like blowing up a lab due to an experiment) it's the boss's fault. And if she tries to defend it, the response would be "you should have control of your subordinates"


    The higher-ups don't care about the underlings or even environmental concerns, it's the boss that takes the blame when it hits the fan. Think back to not that long ago, that while everyone went their separate ways, Cam was getting in deep doo-doo because of things going on with the case that were not her fault. She only got the case after someone ELSE had been working on it, but the blame was falling on her.



    In other jobs, such as in highly structured organizations, it's the boss.



    I mean, come on. If your boss asks you to do something and you say no. And if he/she asks why and you say "My way is better, I am your intellectual superior" then you can expect Human Resources to stop by very shortly. Cam was willing to cut Brennan some slack since she was a world-reknowned celebrity.


    Edited on 11/26/2012 9:21am
    Edited 4 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MorganMetcalf

    MorganMetcalf

    [15]Dec 15, 2012
    • member since: 11/30/12
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 6

    I've watched all the way through all of the eps in order multiple times, but I didn't start until post s6 (AWFUL I KNOW RIGHT? I'm only 15 so I couldn't watch before then. *sigh* so many wasted years that I could have been fangirling... anyways back to the point at hand) so I have a hindsight perspective on Cam, Goodman, Brennan, Booth, and the whole deal. I also have an OCD ADHD photographic/audio-inclined memory. XD


    My take on her is this:


    Cam (in the beginning) always had to make the point that she was the boss because she knew that when it all boiled down she really isn't(in the relational, not occupational, sense). We know that she knows this because of the final scene of The Beginning in the End (s5 finale, not to be confused with The End in the Beginning from s4) as was previously mentioned.


    Cam: I really enjoyed working for you Dr. Brennan.


    Brennan: In fact, Dr. Saroyan, I worked for you.


    Cam: We both know better.


    I think that when she started at the Jeffersonian Cam had no idea what she was really getting herself into, but that she has acclimatized quite well and the group now has a very solid and effective dynamic. I liked
    Goodman, but the establishment of a head only for the Medico-Legal Lab allowed for the transition from occasionally solving murders to occasionally working on ancient remains. Goodman was an archaeologist and, unlike Cam, he was treated like the boss. Of everyone. Meaning Brennan, working under him, would mostly be focused on ancient remains and research. Cam allowed for the show's progression and expansion, and overall I like her. *though the Arastoo thing I did NOT see coming...awk*


    Long story short - go Hart and Ian! They do an AWESOME job of running the show and to me they really know what they're doing. Cam has worked out very well for the show and she is a well established and well liked main character.



    Those are my thoughts, take them as you will.

    Edited on 12/15/2012 1:34am
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.