Bones Forums

Thursday 8:00 PM on FOXIn Season

Gormogon - Who were the Gormogons in reality?

bens123

[1]Nov 30, 2007
    • level: 5

Being someone who's heavily into his conspiracy theories and history, I was dissapointed in myself for not having a clue who the Gormogons were. I thought Bones just made it up for an interesting twist on a standard secret society plot but this show just constantly surprises me. So for anyone interested here is some info on the real Gormogons. http://freemasonry.bcy.ca/anti-masonry/gormogons.html (this seems to be the most comprehensive description of them I could find) This is another good link http://www.thothweb.com/files/gormagon_530.pdf

If anyone knows anything about Freemasonry they'll know about their weird rituals, for example in the initiation ritual: wearing only one shoe, with a noose around their neck and are blindfolded then led to some room where they must proclaim "I, XXXXXX XXXXXX, of my own free will and accord, in the presence of Almighty God and this worshipful lodge...do hereby and hereon most solemnly and sincerely promise and swear, that I will always...conceal and never reveal any of the secrets, arts, parts, or points of the hidden mysteries of Freemasonry...to any person or persons whomsoever ...except it be to a...brother Mason or in a lodge of Masons..." it then ends with the person saying"...binding myself under no less penalty than that of having my throat cut from ear to ear, my tongue torn out by its roots, my body buried in the sands of the sea at low water mark where the tide ebbs and flows twice in twenty-four hours, should I ever willingly or knowingly violate this my solemn oath of an Entered Apprentice Mason, so help me God and keep me steadfast." This is a rough outline, I think they also hold a knife to your breast and you have to have stand with your feet positioned in a square shape; all pretty odd stuff to us common folk. In light of that, this poem by Henry Cary from 1729 makes more sense:

The Masons and the Gormogons
    are laughing at one another
    While all mankind is laughing at them;
    then why do they make such a pother?

"They bait their hook for simple gulls,
    And truth with bam they smother;
    But when they've taken in their culls
    Why then, tis; 'Welcome, Brother'

Basically they're both just secret societies practising weird rituals away from the public eye, which would of course look silly to the average joe on the street so all mankind would be laughing at both the Gormogons and the Freemasons, as well as creating suspicion with them and their ritualistic and secretive goings on. http://members.aol.com/mason24a/goat.htm

Apparently the Gormogon order was introduced by a Chinese Mandarin (though many suspect he was a Jacobite-Jesuit missionary/agent: the jesuits, another very real secret society still at work today) and had it's origins in ancient China. Incidentally, while Murdoch's FOX brings Gormogon into the public eye with it's occult designed Washington DC based Skull and Bones(GWB) connoting Bones tv show, there is a challenge to these secret societies by another secret society today, also from China in a similar vein to the Gormogon secret society known as "The Green and Red Societies", http://www.savethemales.ca/002056.html coincidentally.

The origins of the word, sometimes spelt Gormagon are also interesting: http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-gor1.htm

Short wikipedia entry about them http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gormogons
    Another goodish link from a freemasonic lodge's newsletter, though details repeated from previous links http://www.rurallodge.com/2NEWS/070928_Newsletter79.pdf

Anyway, I'm sure you all come to this forum for a history lesson so you're welcome! As Hodgins said, it is naive to assume secret societies arn't still at work today (paraphrased) so anyone has any comments/q's about secret societies in general might as well leave them here or about Gormogon in Bones, who is blatantly not Sweets he's too hilarious to be a psycho murderer.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

xerophytes

[2]Nov 30, 2007
    • level: 4
    What I am trying to understand is how Gormogon actually fit into the storyline of Vanished. Well, I don't really know Gormogon, and I don't really have time to read all the links you posted. So, thanks very much for a short overview of the Gormogon.

Right now, the revealed storyline of Bones is still not tied up with what Vanished left off.

kdtfiles

[3]Nov 30, 2007
    • level: 23
    From what I know there isn't any link to Vanished, I read in some article they decided not to even go anywhere near the plot line in Vanished. But who knows, they change their minds on stories all the time, cause they were supposed to bring back the Gravedigger this season, but it don't look like they are going back to that one either.

Daisyd2008

[4]Dec 1, 2007
    • level: 8
    Thats cool I diddnt realize that they were real thanks for sharing the info

AddictedToBones

[5]Dec 1, 2007

Well thank you very much for my daily dose of history!

I didn't realize that the Gormagons were real.

Thanks again.

bens123

[6]Dec 2, 2007

No problem guys. I'm glad some are interested thanks for your responses. Saw a few people asking who they were in some of the other discussions, thought I might as well learn about them myself and share it with fellow Bones viewers. I had no idea there was going to be a Vanished link at some point. Vanished ended after 13 episodes which is a significant number for the Templars which Freemasons claim they have their origins in, but that probably IS just a coincidence as alot of numerology is.

But I find that very interesting and can see the link; Gormogon goes after the Freemasons, and Freemasonry symbolism was literally and blatantly all over that show from the first 6ish episodes I watched of it (got bored of it, no likeable characters, didn't seem to be going anywhere) then you could see how they'd link to it with the Freemasonry connection.

I never heard of this though and would be interested to know where this idea of Gormogon in Vanished came from, maybe I'll watch that show again to the end of the 13 episodes. I think kdtfiles is probably right though, if Vanished was a bigger hit and didn't fail they maybe would have linked it if they were ever planning it, but linking to a failed show doesn't seem like a clever thing to do...

Preboomer

[7]Dec 3, 2007
    • level: 8
    bens123 wrote:

No problem guys. I'm glad some are interested thanks for your responses. Saw a few people asking who they were in some of the other discussions, thought I might as well learn about them myself and share it with fellow Bones viewers. I had no idea there was going to be a Vanished link at some point. Vanished ended after 13 episodes which is a significant number for the Templars which Freemasons claim they have their origins in, but that probably IS just a coincidence as alot of numerology is.

But I find that very interesting and can see the link; Gormogon goes after the Freemasons, and Freemasonry symbolism was literally and blatantly all over that show from the first 6ish episodes I watched of it (got bored of it, no likeable characters, didn't seem to be going anywhere) then you could see how they'd link to it with the Freemasonry connection.

I never heard of this though and would be interested to know where this idea of Gormogon in Vanished came from, maybe I'll watch that show again to the end of the 13 episodes. I think kdtfiles is probably right though, if Vanished was a bigger hit and didn't fail they maybe would have linked it if they were ever planning it, but linking to a failed show doesn't seem like a clever thing to do...

ben

imo the Vanished connection is the DC, secret societies tie-in you noticed beginning of series.

I think the ptb found the premise to be intriguing enough to have Bones writers rework it into

a Bones style plot. I think that is the extent of the Vanished connection.

I love this story arc .