Bones Forums

Thursday 8:00 PM on FOXIn Season

Has Bones jumped the Shark?

Mishkyn

[1]Nov 19, 2011
    • level: 2

Is anyone else feeling the B/B relationship has lost much of its snap and sharpness with the expected baby and them living together?

I am shocked at the quality of this season's shows so far. I was willing to give it a couple of chances, but with 3 bad episodes so far, I am so disappointed. I feel it is too hard a balancing act for the writers: how to give B and B the bickering interplay we all so enjoyed with their mutual affection just under the surface?

The quandary now is how to juggle their new found closeness as parents-to-be while maintaining their previous back and forth sniping. So far it is not working for me, not at all. Also, how many very pregnant women are allowed into the field by the FBI?

Would appreciate any thoughts, particularly any encouraging signs the series will maintain its previous high level.

Mishkyn

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ltcomstella

[2]Nov 19, 2011
    • level: 18

your post would translate to my thoughts on chuck's last season

imo it's a logical progression for the show to hae booth and bones together other shows mess up the leads by having them on and off.

i haven't noticed any major changes it's still the same show just with a few differences like the baby and living together.

though i do wish emily would act'better' ornormal when doing new things like the playing with the prince charmington doll in the lab that was really painfull to watch !

Mishkyn

[4]Nov 19, 2011
    • level: 2

Amen, Itcomstella, about Bones playing with the doll. It has always baffled me that Bones, who has no idea what "normal" conversation/human interaction is, could have written so many bestsellers.

Yes, Angela helped her with the sex scenes, but if her characters talked like she and Booth--or anyone else, usually do, how does that translate into her books' dialogue?

Even though there was no bizarre sexual scene between B and B like there was in Moonlighting, I am reminded of how that series lost its charge when the characters relationship changed.

Sure hope I am wrong.

Geri08

[5]Nov 19, 2011
    • level: 31

I believe that the show has NOT JUMPED THE SHARK. That is just my opinion, one of many and I respect yours! However I believe that I can show you why the show is still on the up and up!

1. The Ratings: I am sure at the beginning of the season, TPTB just like the fans, were a bit anxious as to how the show would fare with the direction it was now taking...However, after three episodes have aired, the show continues to grow and grow...The Ratings speak for themselves...It's the fans and the viewers who have all the power...If they don't watch, the show will die! However, they continue to watch and enjoy and the ratings show it...The ratings have actually continued to grow and have beaten other shows in their individual demigraphs...

2. The media, who have alot of insider knowledge before ourselves continue to value and appreciate this show...This is bourne out by their reviews after each show! (refer to each shows thread to see this). They are not blinded or being powered by anyone elses views, they are forming their own and are being derogatory when needed! But overall, they are raving about this show...

3. And finally the fans...They speak for themselves...Be they for my side, your side or somewhere in between...That is their prerogative! But so far, they are liking the programme, just as it is...That is with BB together and everything else...And as long as they continue to do this...the ratings will grow...

Me personally...I've loved the show in the past...I have to admit, I hated most of season 6 (especially the Hannah episodes), I love it now! I have wanted BB together for so long...practically from the beginning...I have to admit, I rather admire HH and TPTB for taking the series like they have and done it like they have wanted to...I might have been agitated about how long it took them to get our BB together but looking back, in hindsight, I would not have it any other way...I think that HH and SN and the PTB were just ingenious in the way that they thought this whole 'moonlighting curse' thing out (and this is from someone who never believed in said curse to start with)...So many programmes before, have got their protagonists together and the show has failed thereafter! NOT OUR BONES... I really believe that this show will continue to grow...more and more...I believe in HH and SN and where they continue to take this show...They have had an idea, right from the start, just where they wanted to take this show, and so far they are living up to that....I for one will continue to watch and enjoy...

LeanneCole1

[6]Oct 6, 2012
    • level: 1

It has totally lost it, especially with the baby being born in a barn, please.

I hate the relationship between the two, it is so over the top and not realistic at all. I have known many pregnant women and it is too extreme,

It has definitely jumped the shark for me

McTrooperNow

[7]Oct 11, 2012
    • level: 6
    "Has Bones jumped the Shark?"

I was expecting it to with the baby and the both relationship. And I couldn't imagine how Brennen could comeback to work even after her name is cleared, but the writers made it believable somehow.

Also in the next episode the characters weren't back to normal. There experience actually changed who the characters were. That is something that has been lacking in some of Bones earlier episodes. Booth never drank black tea after going to England. But now Brennan picked up a new skills while on the run.

I have to say Super Computer Guy is close to Fonzie on water skis jumping over a shark, but Bones as a whole is actually getting better so far.

That being said the show has been on for a long time and it will continue being a challenge to make the plot interesting and original. Like with house the episodic cases are starting to blur together and feel unoriginal
    or secondary to the story of the characters involved. I think it would be best to stop the show in a season or two.

Mishkyn wrote:

. . . it has always baffled me that Bones, who has no idea what "normal" conversation/human interaction is, could have written so many bestsellers. . . .

Have you ever tried to read the books written by Kathy Reichs (the Author that inspired the TV show)? The one chapter I preview at Amazon was written very poorly. It like a bad film noir or something. But not only does Kathy Reichs sell books she inspired a better written TV show based on her work.
    Edited on 10/11/2012 12:37pm
    Edited 3 total times.