Bones Forums

Thursday 8:00 PM on FOXIn Season

Not feeling Booth and Bones together - at all!

AddieHansen

[1]Apr 17, 2012
    • level: 3

I am really not feeling them as a couple. I think they look awkward around each other when they're alone. And I really don't get the way the show has handled their relationship; Sure, over the years we've seen signs of their mutual feelings for each other, and on a few occasions even seen them act on these feelings. But the majority of those occasions have been flashbacks, alternate realities (e.g. Booth's comatose dream) and so on. And then all of a sudden they have slept together and Bones is pregnant and they're moving in together!

I'm not saying that I don't believe they love each other and want more than they used to have, but I feel like I've been away from the show for a long time and then been thrown into it head first with no clue on what's going on. For almost 6 seasons the show has been playing with the audience as to whether Booth and Bones would ever get together, and then it just throws it in our faces without further ado. Talk about anticlimatic!

I don't believe in them together because I don't feel like I've really seen them together. To me it feels like they are really good friends who just happen to have a baby together and live in the same house. And whenever they kiss it looks so unatural. It has kind of ruined some of the show for me..

Am I the only who feels this way?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Geri08

[2]Apr 17, 2012
    • level: 31

I have to say that I was as disappointed as anyone with regards to how they 'got the two of them together' in the end...but...I am also glad in a way with how they did it and the genius behind it...All along there was the dreaded 'moonlighting' curse' lurking and it's sister 'jump the shark' was also circling round'...I can still hear HH and SN puffing cynically at such ideas, but yet they feared that happening too no matter how they tried to deny it...Even the fans were divided with regards to whether Bones would ever suffer those horrors if their favourite duo ever got together...We all had our own ideas and hopes about HOW it would happen and WHEN...but when it came down to it the choice was actually taken away from them...ED being pregnant in real life had a definite say in the outcome of where the show went and how they handled it. TPTB were now faced with that 'dreaded dilemma'...I can imagine what discussions went on and I would have loved to be a fly on the wall at some of them...However, in the heal of the hunt, the solution was genius. Bring these two together, without actually showing us 'them getting together' and let them continue on as a couple, in love, expecting their first child...going through all the things that normal (or in this case not normal) couples do. I have to say, at the end of the day, I am happy how they handled it.

I am also happy with their little moments together but would also like more...I do feel cheated that we did not get all that but what did we actually expect. We were never going to get the hot, up against the wall, frantic lovemaking that we all hoped we would...this is family viewing afterall...but there are tasteful (and hot) ways to do it without shocking anyone...I guess we might still get those moment...Indeed, I hope that we do

BarryWeen3

[3]Apr 17, 2012
    • level: 14

I understand how Geri feels and those that are in her camp of thought.

I come from a different "camp" of thought. My belief was that Booth and Bones were a couple all along without either one of them realizing it and all the relationship development that you want did happen, it just unfolded slowly over many seasons. That's why I really didn't mind at all how they qot them "together" at the end of last season without all the courtship scenes that people feel was missing between them being a couple and then having a baby. Because I feel all that happened between them already and what happened at the end of last season was the culmination of the both of them realizing what we all knew all along.

But that's just me...

kennyljs

[4]May 5, 2012
    • level: 26
    For me, I saw them as a couple as far back as Season 1, Episode 1. ENOUGH SAID.

As for the way they got together. It suits them both. Especially Bones's character.

BarryWeen3

[5]May 5, 2012

kennyljs wrote:
    For me, I saw them as a couple as far back as Season 1, Episode 1. ENOUGH SAID. As for the way they got together. It suits them both. Especially Bones's character.

Yea! I'm not alone in having the same impression.

kennyljs

[6]May 9, 2012
    • level: 26
    Episode 1 gave that impression when Booth went to the airport to "arrest" Bones. Lol..... I saw the couple thing there and then.

BarryWeen3

[7]May 9, 2012

kennyljs wrote:
    Episode 1 gave that impression when Booth went to the airport to "arrest" Bones. Lol..... I saw the couple thing there and then.

Especially in light of the fact that we now know that that wasn't their first case together.

Geri08

[8]May 9, 2012
    BarryWeen3 wrote:

I come from a different "camp" of thought. My belief was that Booth and Bones were a couple all along without either one of them realizing it and all the relationship development that you want did happen, it just unfolded slowly over many seasons. That's why I really didn't mind at all how they qot them "together" at the end of last season without all the courtship scenes that people feel was missing between them being a couple and then having a baby. Because I feel all that happened between them already and what happened at the end of last season was the culmination of the both of them realizing what we all knew all along.

But that's just me...

Yet, how can you call them a 'couple' before the end of S6 (near)...Couples don't have relationships with other people (ie. Cam, Rebecca, Hannah and 'do you really want me to name all of Bones'?') I get what you mean...they 'looked and acted' like a couple...but they were not...I mean, how long is a piece of string? But for the fact that ED became pregnant in real life, they could still be stringing them along

BarryWeen3

[9]May 9, 2012

Geri08 wrote:
    BarryWeen3 wrote:

But that's just me...

Yet, how can you call them a 'couple' before the end of S6 (near)...Couples don't have relationships with other people (ie. Cam, Rebecca, Hannah and 'do you really want me to name all of Bones'?') I get what you mean...they 'looked and acted' like a couple...but they were not...I mean, how long is a piece of string? But for the fact that ED became pregnant in real life, they could still be stringing them along

I may have already asked you this before, but since I was having problems posting for the past couple of days (there apparently was some glitches going on with the website), I'll ask it again.

Do you watch Castle at all? If so, did you see Monday's season finale? What did you think if you did? How would you compare it with what Bones did in the season 6 finale? I know the circumstances are different because of Emily's pregnancy, but was just curious what you thought about the two finales.

I know this is a bit of tangent from Bones related material, but what happened in the Castle finale is "blowing up" on other websites I visit.

Geri08

[10]May 10, 2012

BarryWeen3 wrote:
    I may have already asked you this before, but since I was having problems posting for the past couple of days (there apparently was some glitches going on with the website), I'll ask it again.

Do you watch Castle at all? If so, did you see Monday's season finale? What did you think if you did? How would you compare it with what Bones did in the season 6 finale? I know the circumstances are different because of Emily's pregnancy, but was just curious what you thought about the two finales.

I know this is a bit of tangent from Bones related material, but what happened in the Castle finale is "blowing up" on other websites I visit.

Oooh Matt...you have me intrigued.SurprisedSmile I have been watching Castle on Sky and it is a little behind you there in the States...I will have to go look and see what you are talking about Wink Will get back to you when I have

Geri08

[11]May 10, 2012
    Geri08 wrote:

BarryWeen3 wrote:

Oooh Matt...you have me intrigued.SurprisedSmile I have been watching Castle on Sky and it is a little behind you there in the States...I will have to go look and see what you are talking about Wink Will get back to you when I have

I'm back...
    ***SPOILER***

BarryWeen3

[12]May 10, 2012

Geri08 wrote:
    Geri08 wrote:

BarryWeen3 wrote:

I'm back...
    ***SPOILER***

Mainly about
    ***SPOILER***

Edited on 05/10/2012 5:22pm

Geri08

[13]May 11, 2012
    BarryWeen3 wrote:

Geri08 wrote:
    Geri08 wrote:

BarryWeen3 wrote:

I'm back...
    ***SPOILER***

Mainly about
    ***SPOILER***

Will do

wildhoney66

[14]May 13, 2012
    • level: 13

than you prolly see me there if you visit the Castle forum. he he. as i've said there. i love seeing "Bones & Booth" together. but they took too damn long to do it. & i can understand why people say they waited to long. cause they did. when it comes to "Bones" my favorite season is prolly season 5. i dunno why it just is. i just loved it when i watched it. NOT many people enjoy that season. but than we had season 6 which is easily the worst season they've done so far. now don't get me wrong it's got it's moments. the best episode is EASILY

the one called "The Doctor In The Photo" & there are other good ones as well. like when "Booth's father passed away. to name another one.

but i dunno the writing just wasn't very good during the 1st half of the season. i didn't hate the character "hannah" like a lot of people did. & i get that Bones was trying to figure out her feelings towards booth. that i get. but the way they wrote the scenes with Bones & booth when he was dating Hannah. wasn't very good. i quickly got tired of hearing bones talk about this tribe & that like 3,0000 times in one episode! i know that's part of the character & it was her way of dealing with emotions. but still it was cringe worthy. to watch. & for this season i'm loving it.

& as for "Castle' i enjoyed season 4. really the only thing that i didn't like was near the end was when castle & beckett weren't talking for a couple of episodes near the end of the season. & he went back to his old self from the pilot. it just was i dunno hard to watch. i dunno what my thoughts on it will be when i see those episodes again. but they were hard to watch. even though i understood why he was acting like he did.

i did LOVE the finale. & i gotta be honest, i didn't expect that hot scene either near the end. i did expect them to kiss by the previews. but i didn't expect it to be as hot as they did. i loved it. it was damn good writing. & acting throught the entire episode. even if had it's flaws. that doesn't bother me. when castle told his feelings. in that scene the writing was fantastic & real. & so was the acting.

i also liked how he stopped her for a minute wanting to know why. at the end. sorry for giving out spoilers. but it has been over for nearly a week here. i didn't say anything what else went on in the episode to be fair. anyways. in the finale of "Bones" last season. i liked how they had Bones go to his bed for comfort & the snuggle scene was sweet. but they should had them at least kiss. it didn't have to show them in the sack doing anything else. or they could have implied it a bit more in that scene. at least given us fans a better scene than what they did.

'Castle' i think did it right. & i don't think the show's suffered cause booth & bones got together & had a kid. i've read they were going to do that regardless that Emily D. got preggers. i dunno if that's true or not. but either way. it's a WTF moment. i think they've written them as a couple pretty good actually. it took me awhle to get used to them being together to be honest. it prolly also took the actors a bit to get used to it too. he he. anyways, but either way on both shows they seem to be doing it right. i think on castle it won't kill the show.

on any show you will have fans who want them together or they don't. & both will complain either way, honestly "Bones" is handling better than i thought they would. some people may disagree with me on this that's their choice. others will agree with me. i can live with that.

but in either camp. if you look at other shows where they've put characters together that were done badly. "Bones' is doing it better than those shows! he he. sorry about my ramblings here by the way

thabeatles772

[15]May 15, 2012
    • level: 18
    Can I just say that I have only seen a couple episodes of Castle and I guess they weren't too bad; well written and funny and stuff but it just felt like watching some au bones fanfiction where everything that happened could happen again only 2x faster and trying to be 2x better if it was successful on Bones and left out of Castle if it was unsuccessful.. Don't get me wrong i'm sure the Castle final was great or whatever, but it's easy to make something better the second time around if it wasn't perfect the first time. and under the circumstances (Edesh being pregnant, the short notice, not having another show that already did it to see if it could work or not) TPTB did a pretty damn good job.. I don't wish to offend anyone, it just annoys me when people compare Castle to Bones and Castle always seems to come out on top. I mean there should be no comparison, Bones may not be perfect but at least it's making it's own path and not just following one..

BarryWeen3

[16]May 15, 2012

thabeatles772 wrote:
    Can I just say that I have only seen a couple episodes of Castle and I guess they weren't too bad; well written and funny and stuff but it just felt like watching some au bones fanfiction where everything that happened could happen again only 2x faster and trying to be 2x better if it was successful on Bones and left out of Castle if it was unsuccessful.. Don't get me wrong i'm sure the Castle final was great or whatever, but it's easy to make something better the second time around if it wasn't perfect the first time. and under the circumstances (Edesh being pregnant, the short notice, not having another show that already did it to see if it could work or not) TPTB did a pretty damn good job.. I don't wish to offend anyone, it just annoys me when people compare Castle to Bones and Castle always seems to come out on top. I mean there should be no comparison, Bones may not be perfect but at least it's making it's own path and not just following one..

I can understand your annoyance. But the parallels are there so the comparisons are going to happen.

I have watched both shows from the beginning and I enjoy both but for different reasons.

And in my opinion, to be truthful, Bones is not making its own path, its a variation of a basic pathway that has been used before and will be used again. Both Bones and Castle are just taking different routes of the same overall pathway.

Kinda of like how similar Harry Potter, The Books of Magic, and Unwritten are and yet still distinct from each other.

Gilda

[17]May 20, 2012
    • level: 4

BarryWeen3 wrote:

But that's just me...

I totally agree with the fact that they were always a couple. Its just that for the longest time neither realised it and then for a while Booth knew and Bones just wasnt ready to acknowlege it. At the begining i saw them as just close friends but over time their closeness grew and a real loving relationship developed. However i think the whole sleeping together and having a baby thing was just way to fast and story wise i think it might of happened a bit too soon. (im not saying that i was totally against it but i think it was just kind ofout of the blue).I realise that it was done b/c ED was pregnant and it was prob easier to make Bones pregnant rather than hide ED's pregnancy or go on hiatis for a while. Idk I kind of stopped watching after vincent's death and Bones saying she was pregnantb/c the tone of the show kind of shifted too much for me. I do watch episodes every once and a while but idk i have to admit thatthe interactions b/wbooth and bones are different now and their is something off about it.Maybe its cuz its kind of like other tv shows where their characters get married and the episodes dont feel as funny/good b/c those character interactions have changed too much. I know booth and bones didnt get married but the whole baby thing kind of moved those characters into kind of the same category for me.
    Btw i dont mean to say that the stories arnt good (cuz i watched the finaland that was entertaining) i just find the tone of the show is different. idk its kind of hard to explain

BarryWeen3

[18]May 20, 2012

Gilda wrote:

BarryWeen3 wrote:

But that's just me...

I totally agree with the fact that they were always a couple. Its just that for the longest time neither realised it and then for a while Booth knew and Bones just wasnt ready to acknowlege it. At the begining i saw them as just close friends but over time their closeness grew and a real loving relationship developed. However i think the whole sleeping together and having a baby thing was just way to fast and story wise i think it might of happened a bit too soon. (im not saying that i was totally against it but i think it was just kind ofout of the blue).I realise that it was done b/c ED was pregnant and it was prob easier to make Bones pregnant rather than hide ED's pregnancy or go on hiatis for a while. Idk I kind of stopped watching after vincent's death and Bones saying she was pregnantb/c the tone of the show kind of shifted too much for me. I do watch episodes every once and a while but idk i have to admit thatthe interactions b/wbooth and bones are different now and their is something off about it.Maybe its cuz its kind of like other tv shows where their characters get married and the episodes dont feel as funny/good b/c those character interactions have changed too much. I know booth and bones didnt get married but the whole baby thing kind of moved those characters into kind of the same category for me.
    Btw i dont mean to say that the stories arnt good (cuz i watched the finaland that was entertaining) i just find the tone of the show is different. idk its kind of hard to explain

No you explained it just fine. IMO, the tone of the show has to be different because the relationship between Bones and Booth has changed and progressed to a different level, so things can't stay the same as they were before because the characters have evolved.

There's this same argument going on now over on Castle as people wonder about the coming season 5 as to whether what made the show fun to watchand the banter between the characterswill be lost or not considering what happened in the season 4 finale.

There's the general opinion that there's a moonlighting curse that occurs if and when you get two leads together that have UST like on Bones and Castle. My belief is that if the characters become uninteresting or what made watching the interactions between the two interesting gets lost after they get together/become a couple/etc., it's not some "curse" but rather is the fault of the writers.

Good writers can should still be able to make couplesinteresting even after they become couples. Look at Monica and Chandler on Friends, Olivia and Peter's relationship is front and center on Fringe, I still found Chuck and Sara interesting after they got together.

What made a couple interesting before they got together should be the fact that each character was interesting in their own right and the banter and UST that arose between the two arises out of the clashing of their differing opinons. The core of each character is still going to be there when they become a couple, it just becomes more dynamic now as their feelings evolve.

Hopefully my rambling made sense...