Bones Forums

Monday 8:00 PM on FOXIn Season

Official Bones Questions & Answers Thread

Geri08

[2341]Feb 18, 2012
    • level: 31

BarryWeen3 wrote:
    And look, we're building our asthetically pleasing boxes of boxes of quotes within each other again.

Oh we need to cut that right there

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Nefania

[2342]Feb 25, 2012
    • level: 1

I just finished watching the 3rd season on DVD, and I'm having trouble understanding one key point: why did Zack lie and say the marks were made by artificial dentures? Why didn't he tell the truth and say the markings were from dentures made with real canines? Even if they had later found out they were taken from skulls in limbo, Zack wouldn't have been automatically implicated. He was caught because he had lied. I understand that he might have been trying to set up the explosive experiment this way, but surely he could have found another way to have something blow up?

BarryWeen3

[2343]Feb 26, 2012
    • level: 14

Nefania wrote:

I just finished watching the 3rd season on DVD, and I'm having trouble understanding one key point: why did Zack lie and say the marks were made by artificial dentures? Why didn't he tell the truth and say the markings were from dentures made with real canines? Even if they had later found out they were taken from skulls in limbo, Zack wouldn't have been automatically implicated. He was caught because he had lied. I understand that he might have been trying to set up the explosive experiment this way, but surely he could have found another way to have something blow up?

I agree that the episode could have been executed better as well as the whole Gormorgon storyline, but the main problem was that the 3rd season was impacted by the Writer's strike, hence the shortened 15 episode 3rd season of Bones we got.

If the writers had been given a full season, the whole Gormorgon storyline would have been more fleshed out and what happened to Zack may not have seemed as abrupt as it was in that finale episode.

You could tell from the way things unfolded that there was a lot of setup and backstory that never made it to air. Consider the storyline is introduced in the first episode The Widow's Son in the Windshield, is referred to in The Intern in the Incinerator, then we only had one more episode directly related to Gormorgon with The Knight on the Grid before it's all wrapped up in the finale The Pain in the Heart.

I have a strong feeling that there were suppose to be a few more episodes devoted to this storyline. I also got the feeling that Zach's abrupt return in the season opener after being "fired" from the military was suppose to be a sign of what leads him to got involved with Gormorgon.

He's told that his personality was not conducive for a military setting and that he should examine if there's something wrong with him if the only place he fits in is at the Jeffersonian. Zach and Brennan have similar personalities, but Brennan has both Angela and Booth getting her to socialize and expand her experiences.

Yes, everyone at the Jeffersonian is Zach's friend but we rarely ever seen them doing anything with him outside of the lab. at least not as far as I can recall. I remember a few gatherings at the Diner, but beyond that was there anything else? It's the same reasoning Booth gave Brennan as to why he didn't stop Zach from leaving the lab at the end of season 2, that like Booth did for Brennan, he felt that Zach needed to interact with the world beyon the lab.

Anyway, my overall point is that both what happened to Zach and the Gormorgon storyline both suffered in terms of execution due to the writers' strike shortened season and that if there had been a full season, Zach and the Gormorgon storyline could have been more fully explored and developed than what ended up airing.

Edited on 02/26/2012 6:51pm

Geri08

[2344]Mar 2, 2012
    BarryWeen3 wrote:

Nefania wrote:

I agree that the episode could have been executed better as well as the whole Gormorgon storyline, but the main problem was that the 3rd season was impacted by the Writer's strike, hence the shortened 15 episode 3rd season of Bones we got.

If the writers had been given a full season, the whole Gormorgon storyline would have been more fleshed out and what happened to Zack may not have seemed as abrupt as it was in that finale episode.

You could tell from the way things unfolded that there was a lot of setup and backstory that never made it to air. Consider the storyline is introduced in the first episode The Widow's Son in the Windshield, is referred to in The Intern in the Incinerator, then we only had one more episode directly related to Gormorgon with The Knight on the Grid before it's all wrapped up in the finale The Pain in the Heart.

I have a strong feeling that there were suppose to be a few more episodes devoted to this storyline. I also got the feeling that Zach's abrupt return in the season opener after being "fired" from the military was suppose to be a sign of what leads him to got involved with Gormorgon.

He's told that his personality was not conducive for a military setting and that he should examine if there's something wrong with him if the only place he fits in is at the Jeffersonian. Zach and Brennan have similar personalities, but Brennan has both Angela and Booth getting her to socialize and expand her experiences.

Yes, everyone at the Jeffersonian is Zach's friend but we rarely ever seen them doing anything with him outside of the lab. at least not as far as I can recall. I remember a few gatherings at the Diner, but beyond that was there anything else? It's the same reasoning Booth gave Brennan as to why he didn't stop Zach from leaving the lab at the end of season 2, that like Booth did for Brennan, he felt that Zach needed to interact with the world beyon the lab.

Anyway, my overall point is that both what happened to Zach and the Gormorgon storyline both suffered in terms of execution due to the writers' strike shortened season and that if there had been a full season, Zach and the Gormorgon storyline could have been more fully explored and developed than what ended up airing.

There were also times throughout the season where Zach was shown as being separate and cut off from the rest of them. You had Jack and Ange doing their thing and BB doing their's. Zach seemed to be forgotton about from time to time. This is supposed to have led (along with what happened to him while being away with the military) to feelings of being excluded and cut off from the steadying influence that 'his family/friends' could have been to him. As Caroline said in the Pain in the Heart, Gormogon picked on the vulnerable and weak...HH has been very open in blaming the whole Gormogon debacle on the shortened season as you said Matt. I have to say that I, personally, was very unhappy with how it all panned out. I thought it was an excellent storyline up until the final and the particular Gormogon episodes that aired were particularly good. I also feel that they STILL could have finished the storyline into the fourth season...I mean WHY did there have to be closure on it in the final of the third...Ah well! Old news now but still....

BarryWeen3

[2345]Mar 2, 2012

Geri08 wrote:
    BarryWeen3 wrote:

Nefania wrote:

There were also times throughout the season where Zach was shown as being separate and cut off from the rest of them. You had Jack and Ange doing their thing and BB doing their's. Zach seemed to be forgotton about from time to time. This is supposed to have led (along with what happened to him while being away with the military) to feelings of being excluded and cut off from the steadying influence that 'his family/friends' could have been to him. As Caroline said in the Pain in the Heart, Gormogon picked on the vulnerable and weak...HH has been very open in blaming the whole Gormogon debacle on the shortened season as you said Matt. I have to say that I, personally, was very unhappy with how it all panned out. I thought it was an excellent storyline up until the final and the particular Gormogon episodes that aired were particularly good. I also feel that they STILL could have finished the storyline into the fourth season...I mean WHY did there have to be closure on it in the final of the third...Ah well! Old news now but still....

I agree, it could have been an interesting storyline. I liked how it was developing, but that abrupt wrap-up in the Finale gave off a "WTF just happened?" feeling.

Yes part of the problem was a shortened season, but as you say Geri, they could have rolled it over into the fourth season.

Consider that the Howard Epps storyline took place over three episodes and two seasons. The Gravedigger went from Season 2 to Seasons 4-6 over 4 episodes.

So yeah I agree Geri, I believe they had a longer Gormorgon storyline in mind and they still could have done it by stretching the storyline over more seasons.

The shortened season is partially to blame for what we got, but you gotta think it was also a choice on their part not to revise their plans and not continue Gormorgon into Season 4 that is also to blame for the debacle.

D_S1985

[2346]Mar 3, 2012
    • level: 5

It was for the best that the Gormogon story ended in season 3. It was a clean cut and the story left us with no questions.Don't forget that they had to deal with the Gravedigger in the fourth season. Imagine if they had mixed the stories, that would have been worst!

BarryWeen3

[2347]Mar 3, 2012

D_S1985 wrote:

It was for the best that the Gormogon story ended in season 3. It was a clean cut and the story left us with no questions.Don't forget that they had to deal with the Gravedigger in the fourth season. Imagine if they had mixed the stories, that would have been worst!

The Gravedigger was one episode in Season 4, how would more episodes of Gormorgon impacted that?

The Gravedigger storyline itself was stretched over 4 seasons.

--You had Aliens in a Spaceship in Season 2 which introduced the Gravedigger.

--You had The Hero in the Hold in Season 4 in which the Gravedigger is captured.

--You had The Boy with the Answer in Season 5 which had the trial.

--Then you had The Bullet in the Brain which ended the Gravedigger and introduced Brodsky. They intertwined the Gravedigger with Brodsky.

So I don't see how rolling the Gormorgon storyline into season 4 would have hurt. Fleshing out the Gormorgon storyline with a few more episodes would have made it better and I doubt it would have any impact on the Gravedigger.

And it's not like they haven't had multiple big bads before.

--They had Howard Epps still going while introducing the Gravedigger

--The Gravedigger hadn't been captured when they introduced Gormorgon

--The Gravedigger's death introduced Brodsky

I still believe that the Gormorgon storyline would have been helped out with a few more episodes to flesh the storyline out and I agree withGeri that Gormorgon should probably have been rolled into season 4, writer's strike impact or not.

Edited on 03/03/2012 4:19pm

D_S1985

[2348]Mar 3, 2012
    • level: 5

In season 2 they knew who Epps was but the identity of the Gravedigger was a mystery, as was the identity of Gormogon.

Epps was alewady captured when they came up against the Gravedigger and his storyline was 3 episodes.

You can't have two major mystery serial killers in the same season.

Plus the Gravedigger was absent in the third season, the storyline was reintroduced in season 4.

And as you said Brodsky was introduced through the Gravediggers death, they didn't coexist in the season.

If you hadn't noticed all the serial killers in Bones had a storyline of 3 episodes exept the Gravedigger, who had 4.

The only thing I didn't like in the Gormogon storyline was that we didn't actualy see Gormogon interacting with the characters

as the others did (Gravedigger, Brodsky and now Christopher Pelant.

BarryWeen3

[2349]Mar 4, 2012

D_S1985 wrote:

In season 2 they knew who Epps was but the identity of the Gravedigger was a mystery, as was the identity of Gormogon.

Epps was alewady captured when they came up against the Gravedigger and his storyline was 3 episodes.

Plus the Gravedigger was absent in the third season, the storyline was reintroduced in season 4.

And as you said Brodsky was introduced through the Gravediggers death, they didn't coexist in the season.

If you hadn't noticed all the serial killers in Bones had a storyline of 3 episodes exept the Gravedigger, who had 4.

The only thing I didn't like in the Gormogon storyline was that we didn't actualy see Gormogon interacting with the characters

as the others did (Gravedigger, Brodsky and now Christopher Pelant.

I did notice that Howard Epps and the Gravedigger had a 3 episode arc. But the way the Gormorgon storyline developed and ended,Gormorgon's 3 episode arc didn't really work for me and others.

And having two major serial killers active at the same time, I think, makes it more exciting for the show. I don't believe that you have to stick to one major villain a season or having one active at time only. It all depends on the writing.

I'll agree that we disagree on how the Gormorgon storyline was handled. I also think that having more than one active villain would make for interesting times for the team.

Geri08

[2351]Mar 5, 2012

BarryWeen3 wrote:
    D_S1985 wrote:

I did notice that Howard Epps and the Gravedigger had a 3 episode arc. But the way the Gormorgon storyline developed and ended,Gormorgon's 3 episode arc didn't really work for me and others.

And having two major serial killers active at the same time, I think, makes it more exciting for the show. I don't believe that you have to stick to one major villain a season or having one active at time only. It all depends on the writing.

I'll agree that we disagree on how the Gormorgon storyline was handled. I also think that having more than one active villain would make for interesting times for the team.

They could have held out until maybe the middle of S4 to reintroduce the Gravedjgger. I mean, we had not heard of her since 'Aliens'. What would a few more episodes into S4 have cost them to finish the Gormogon storyline...it was a good storyline too. Ending it so badly (and it was badly done, both dramatically and professionally) really was very disappointing. I, along with alot of other people, really thought that they were doing a sort of dream sequence that would last a few episodes and we would get back to before the Pain in the Heart when Booth woke up...it was so surreal the storyline at the end of S3 that nobody could blame us...

Ingelief

[2352]Mar 24, 2012
    • level: 7

question, in april bones will be back but the number of episodes is very low, is this season because of the pregnancy going to have only 13 episode or something? And why is there now a 3! month break?? Did she deliver her baby already *in real life i mean*??

thx

BarryWeen3

[2353]Mar 25, 2012

Ingelief wrote:

question, in april bones will be back but the number of episodes is very low, is this season because of the pregnancy going to have only 13 episode or something? And why is there now a 3! month break?? Did she deliver her baby already *in real life i mean*??

thx

Going into Season 7, the season was already going to be shorter than normal as Emily was pregnant and they had to also take into account maternity leave. Emily has already had the baby back in September of last year.

There were 13 episodes ordered for this season and the plan was to air 6 episodes in the fall after the baseball playoffs and then air the remaining 7 in the spring.

Then FOX ordered 4 more episodesfor Season 7. As HH has stated several time, those "bonus" episodes are stand-alone episodes and have no ties in continuity per se with the already ordered 13-episode Season 7.

FOX again changed the schedule when they decided not to air the 6th episode "The Crack in the Code" and held it over as a lead-in for the winter premiere of The Finder, which I actually to bea fun show to watch .

Anyway, because of several new shows premiering in Winter (i.e. The Finder, Alcatraz, and some others), plus the return of American Idol, and the NCAA tournament in March, I think all these events led to Bones not returning till April, considering there were only suppose to be 7 more episodes left to this season, that would be enough episodes to last through April and part of May.

So the Bones schedule for this season has been:

11/03/2011 The Memories in the Shallow Grave

11/10/2011 The Hot Dog in the Competition

11/17/2011 The Prince in the Plastic

12/01/2011 The Male in the Mail

12/08/2011 The Twist in the Twister

01/12/2012 The Crack in the Code (originally set to air 12/15/2011)

04/02/2012 The Prisoner in the Pipe (Bones returns)

04/09/2012 The Bump in the Road

04/16/2012 Episode 9, 04/23/2012 Episode 10, 04/30/2012 Episode 11, 05/07/2012 Episode 12, 05/14/2012 Episode 13

As for those 4 "bonus" episodes, supposedly the first of these is going to air on Saturday March 31, 2012. The details for those bonus episodes can be found here.

Considering the spoiler material that Geri has been posting of late, if that March 31 bonus episode rumor is true, more than likely the first bonus episode we get is the 9/11-centric episode mentioned in that link on the bonus episodes.

There are some cynics, including me , that are wondering if the whole March 31 bonus episode rumor is not some elaborate April Fool's joke consideirng the date in question.

bblog

[2354]Mar 27, 2012
    • level: 3

I don't know if anyone has asked this before, I've checked as much as possible and I can't find any answer.

Why do the characters in Bones keep saying that they will 'beam' their information to each other. Like when they're away from the lab they talk to each other over a Skype type service and they keep saying they'll 'beam' that information to the lab, or visa versa. Every conversation I've ever had with anyone who has to send me information in a similar situation would say that they'll 'send' me the information. Or, if I've ever asked for someone to send me information I asked them to 'send' the information. So, what's with the use of the term 'beam'? Is that some sort of proprietary computer term that some company has paid the producers to have the characters say?

BarryWeen3

[2355]Mar 27, 2012

bblog wrote:

I don't know if anyone has asked this before, I've checked as much as possible and I can't find any answer.

Why do the characters in Bones keep saying that they will 'beam' their information to each other. Like when they're away from the lab they talk to each other over a Skype type service and they keep saying they'll 'beam' that information to the lab, or visa versa. Every conversation I've ever had with anyone who has to send me information in a similar situation would say that they'll 'send' me the information. Or, if I've ever asked for someone to send me information I asked them to 'send' the information. So, what's with the use of the term 'beam'? Is that some sort of proprietary computer term that some company has paid the producers to have the characters say?

It could be something as simple as their own internal slang. Work groups will sometimes have terms and/or slang that is specific for that group that will be understandable to people within the work group but not completely understandable to people outside of the group.

Geri08

[2356]Mar 28, 2012
    BarryWeen3 wrote:

bblog wrote:

It could be something as simple as their own internal slang. Work groups will sometimes have terms and/or slang that is specific for that group that will be understandable to people within the work group but not completely understandable to people outside of the group.

And Bones has been known (especially in the early days) to work alot with satalite...'beam' to me made alot of sense back then...I suppose with modern technology, the computers we now have and IPhones etc they could still use that term...

Ingelief

[2357]Apr 21, 2012
    • level: 7

can someone help me with this question: will bones have only 13 episodes this season or will it go on longer????

BarryWeen3

[2358]Apr 22, 2012

Ingelief wrote:

can someone help me with this question: will bones have only 13 episodes this season or will it go on longer????

The seventh season of Bones was originally 13 episodes due to Emily's pregnancy and maternity leave. Later on, FOX ordered 4 more episodes. HH and SN have stated that these "bonus" episodes don't fit into the current 7th season continuity, so they could be aired as a mini-summer season or folded into the 8th season. There were rumors that one of these bonus episodes was going to air on March 31, but that was justa rerun of The Crack in the Code.

What it looks like now is that since Bones has been renewed for an 8th season, these bonus episodes will be folded into the 8th season, spoilertv.com and buddytv.com have reported this as the likely plan by FOX.

So this season had the 5 episode fall half, the 1 episode (The Crack in the Code) that aired in January as the lead-in to The Finder, and then the remaining 7 episode spring half.

Episode details for the four bonus episodes can be found here: Bonus Bones Episodes

kaydeewilkie

[2359]Feb 2, 2014
    • level: 1

I have a question for you experts about the last episode of season 5, concerning the soldier who brings the message to Booth that the army wants him back. I noticed the name on his uniform is PELANT. Does this have any significance?

MajLorne

[2360]Mar 7, 2014
    • level: 21
    Probably not and just a coincidence i guess.

Unrelated note, will Bones finish off the Finder given that show ended on a cliffhanger? I mean Xfiles was where they finished off the lone gunmen show. I could see them giving one ep to let the Finder end on a decent resolution. The main issue would be how to address MCD's death and if they can get the main lead guy to film an ep as he's on 'enlisted' now. I just hope this so called ghost killer is more believable than Pelant. So sick of the whole implausibility of the computer hacking stuff and carving codes on bones... season 9 has been much better over last year with him gone. Now if only Hodgins can recover the money he lost.