Bones Forums

Thursday 8:00 PM on FOXIn Season

Official Discussion: 5x18 The Predator in the Pool

idlescribe

[61]Apr 22, 2010
    • level: 9
    I have mixed feelings about this episode. I am among those who never watch or read anything about an episode before it airs, but this time around I knew there was to be a fish lady as romantic interest for Booth. I suppose some part of me was expecting a lot of screen-time for her, and was disappointed to have a lot of Hacker instead.

Anyway, I found her first interaction with Booth a bit 'forced' and the bumping in the piece of furniture cliche didn't help.
    I liked the aquarium employee (Marylin?) sarcastic and all until, oops fish throws up skull. She was a good supporting character throughout the episode.
    Speaking of casting, I think I understand the selection of fish lady. Like most here I am expecting Booth and Brennan to end up together, so that might influence my judgment, but I think I am right to say they picked her so that she is not a threat to Brennan. I know it is said to be in the eye of the beholder, but we are talking about Booth and we know he finds Brennan absolutely charming. IMHO finding Brennan very beautiful would relegate fish lady to only attractive because the two types are quite different...

Clark had a good moment with Hodgins, and I liked Brennan stating that the lion-fish was the 'murder weapon'. I think it is the second time in the show they use an animal as 'murder weapon', and each time I have found the idea enhanced by Brennan stressing that fact in her direct and unique way.

My favorite bit from the episode:
    Brennan: She's easily as pretty as I am. I mean, ... using me as a standard.
    Booth: Bones, you are the standard

Booth, this is no way to move on... Booth is obviously the one hurting. Brennan must not yet have realized she is 'really' in love with him.

Final thoughts from me and this is just my very humble opinion: I couldn't help comparing the 3 'dates' at the end. If the last one between Booth and Bones is friendship, then I would take that over 'love' any day of the week. It didn't feel forced or superficial, but ... right. Yes they were poking each other and Booth was dying a little, and even Brennan when dropping: "You deserve a good woman Booth" was maybe trying to push away the image of Booth and fish lady together, but the chemistry was there, it was easy. The other two dates (Hacker/Brennan) and (Booth/fish lady) didn't have that...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Geri08

[62]Apr 22, 2010
    • level: 31
    idlescribe wrote:
    Geri08 wrote:

[...]
    I loved Clark this time round. Only one thing I did not understand and I would appreciate it if someone could explain...what did Clark say to Hodgins in the lab, I could not hear exactly what he was saying but I got the gist!
    [...]

This is what I heard:
    Clark: OK, OK, listen. I'm gonna, I'm gonna break my cardinal rule for you and offer some good advice: Don't do that.
    Hodgins: Do What?
    Clark: Channel your own frustration into snide allusions.

Yes! Thank you...Just went back and listened again to it...it is exactly that! Thanks again...

Geri08

[63]Apr 22, 2010
    idlescribe wrote:
    Booth, this is no way to move on... Booth is obviously the one hurting. Brennan must not yet have realized she is 'really' in love with him.

Final thoughts from me and this is just my very humble opinion: I couldn't help comparing the 3 'dates' at the end. If the last one between Booth and Bones is friendship, then I would take that over 'love' any day of the week. It didn't feel forced or superficial, but ... right. Yes they were poking each other and Booth was dying a little, and even Brennan when dropping: "You deserve a good woman Booth" was maybe trying to push away the image of Booth and fish lady together, but the chemistry was there, it was easy. The other two dates (Hacker/Brennan) and (Booth/fish lady) didn't have that...

Oh believe me, both of them are 'hurting'...Bones knows she is in love with him but for some reason she does not believe that she is good enough for him...she is protecting him from herself...thus leading into the 'good woman' bit...She genuinely meant that...And I found that so sad...She does not think that she is a good woman, at least not good enough for him and that near broke my heart...

Libra1010

[64]Apr 22, 2010
    • level: 6

So, I was reasonably happy with this one. I absolutely want Booth to try to move on, even if we all know where this is heading, and I thought Briar was nice. And I think that for Brennan to really, truly be jealous, she'll have to be alone while Booth is with someone. Luckily, I see Brennan getting tired of Hacker before I see Booth getting tired of Briar. This was kind of a filler episode for me, with some cringe-worthy moments for Brennan, but it laid the groundwork for future episodes, and because of that, it served its purpose well.

Hirundine

[65]Apr 22, 2010
    • level: 26

It was alright. I wouldn't have minded the third parties, but it seemed a little hastily-done. Maybe not written hastily, but crammed into an episode that could've fit the case or the dates, but not both.

Edited on 04/22/2010 6:16pm

Starprincess13

[66]Apr 22, 2010
    • level: 24

Geri08 wrote:
    Ok...I enjoyed this episode even though I was not really looking forward to it. I found the case interesting! Noticed though that the case was sorted much quicker than normal and the ending with the more personal stuff between third parties and BB was longer...David and Hart have said that Bones is more about the relationships, people than the actual cases and they are trying to show that BB (yes not only Booth) are 'trying' to move on...The one thing I noticed was how they are trying but failing already...but they will 'keep on trying' for a while yet... I loved Clark this time round. Only one thing I did not understand and I would appreciate it if someone could explain...what did Clark say to Hodgins in the lab, I could not hear exactly what he was saying but I got the gist! So had to laugh when Bones stook Clark's head in the tank...Lol! Someone mentioned it already, and I agree, there was definitely a 'positive vibe' between Jack and Angela in this episode...Loved the whole aquarium scene on the screen in Ange's office...wish I had that feed on a daily basis in my house... Onto BB and their third parties...The one thing that hit me in the very beginning was how suited Catherine and Hacker would be...That is not just because I do not like any third parties but I really got that there was something between them...Yes Penelope, I have to admit that Rena Sofer is a good looking lady, but beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and in Booth's case, no one will ever match up to Bones (she is his standard as he is hers)...Loved that whole scene...Did anyone else notice just before the doors of the elevator closed that Bones did one of her little 'facials' of looking just like this moving on was painful for her but she would not show it...It nearly broke my heart in the end where she told Booth that she (Catherine) was a good woman and he deserved a good woman (again a reference to how she does not think that she is a good woman, or 'enough' woman for him)... Loved in the very beginning where Booth said 'Ouch' and Bones' immediate concern for him...Also how Booth worried about her (not Hodgins) when she was getting in to the tank... Quotes I loved... Hacker: 'Dressing well and kissing ass'... Hacker: 'Your (Booth's) successes have done wonders for my career'... Loved 'Bob' the Lion Fish and was sorry that the angel fish died... Anyone else notice that every (outside) woman in this episode all looked at Booth appreciatingly... Overall, have to say I really enjoyed the episode...Someone mentioned that they felt something was missing and like you Penelope, I answer, BB! Oh yes, they were together as much but we were to get the message that they were trying to move on...If this episode was anything to go by though, I am less worried about that situation now than I was...They will try but it is not going to work and they are going to be drawn together in their usual ways to each other...

Basically how I felt about the episode as well. I didn't love it but it was good and felt more filler. I found the dating situations very interesting and a little amusing in how they are going about 'moving on'. Of course, people moving on would normally not talk about each other's sex lives and start comparing them to each other but that's precisely what B&B go and do (I mean, it was sad that they could never really move on since they are meant to be but I still found their attempts funny). I also liked how Brennan pointed out "Is it okay for us to talk like this" and Booth was like "Sure" which already proves that he is going to fail at moving on.

Can't wait for next week (well, mainly one thing in particular).

mattgus

[67]Apr 22, 2010
    • level: 14
    i don't really visit this furum much. i love the show and have nothing more to say usually..but for some reason i am noticing more something they have always done;and that is make bones socially inept...it worked ok for laughs and still could at times,but an accomplished writer millionare scientist is going to know many of the colloquialisms and social norms esp being an anthropologist as she is...not a big deal but it seems like the foibles are less and less obcscure. it takes nothing away from the entertainment for me it is just noticable. i know everybody is more interested in their love life'and that for me will follow a pretty distinct formula that works in tv and that will be that...prob overly picky anyway...i just don't buy it. the powers that be(not thinking of angel)think it is worth the laugh and they are right i expect.

Nat6386

[68]Apr 23, 2010
    • level: 14
    "Bones you are the standard" Oh my GOSH! i melted when he said that!!! and at the end when they were discussing their dates, that was clearly jealousy in Bones when she was like "Excellent...what did you laugh about?"!!! CANNOT WAIT FOR FINALE!!!

07Lou

[69]Apr 23, 2010
    • level: 1

For some reason I feel that we haven't seen the last of that Russian. I think he may cause some trouble for Booth...could be wrong though.

penelope1985

[70]Apr 23, 2010
    • level: 21
    07Lou wrote:

For some reason I feel that we haven't seen the last of that Russian. I think he may cause some trouble for Booth...could be wrong though.

Maybe next season...

Geri08

[72]Apr 23, 2010
    penelope1985 wrote:
    07Lou wrote:

Maybe next season...

Welcome to the Forum 07Lou and I got the feeling that this guy might turn up again too...if only to get his comeuppance, although Booth did a good enough job with him here...

CHarriet

[73]Apr 23, 2010

Geri08 wrote:
    CHarriet wrote:

just something no one has commented on yet that I wanted to see if anyone agreed with me: The scene with Hodgela and the fish tank seemed to show Brennan's growth a little. A few years ago she probably wouldn't have notice anything at all going on in that scene, or maybe would have notice it wasawkward but not know why. but now she notice almost straight away and finds a way to leave them alone.

Also early people seemed to be saying that Bones said she was prettier than Bryar I thought she said "she is easily as pretty as I am."

Welcome to the forum CHarriet...I actually thought that she was a bit surprised/uncomfortable in that scene...she has said before, to Booth and to Ange herself that relationships do not work out 'look at you and Rebecca, Ange and Hodgins'...I saw there in that moment a look more of, 'they might get back together, I might be wrong about relationships'... And you are right about Brennan's comment about Catherine....

Thanks been this forum since thebeginningof last season i think, finally decide it was time to post something.
    Bones says she can't change but in seems in this episode she has. She seems much more willing to accept these relationships that are about more than just 'satisfying urges' and even trying for that a little herself with Hacker. If only she could try with Booth.

penelope1985

[74]Apr 23, 2010
    http://blog.zap2it.com/ithappenedlastnight/2010/04/bones-booth-begins-to-move-on.html

Ζap2it recap

penelope1985

[75]Apr 23, 2010
    The episode was watched by 8,8 million viewers.It fell quite a bit...Ouch

penelope1985

[76]Apr 23, 2010
    http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/04/23/bones-recap-shark-week/

EW RECAP

Geri08

[77]Apr 23, 2010
    penelope1985 wrote:
    The episode was watched by 8,8 million viewers.It fell quite a bit...Ouch

I had heard that alot of people were not going to watch it because of Catherine...maybe they will watch it when they hear it is not too bad...

KxGx

[78]Apr 23, 2010
    Yes Geri you are right, some forums all agreed to boycott this episode. I can kind of understand but there was no way that i was not watching it.

Hirundine

[79]Apr 23, 2010
    • level: 26
    It's funny, I was actually disappointed that we saw so little of the actual dates. Seemed like they were trying to get it over with, sort of put me off.

penelope1985

[80]Apr 23, 2010
    Hirundine wrote:
    It's funny, I was actually disappointed that we saw so little of the actual dates. Seemed like they were trying to get it over with, sort of put me off.

Ι think the show is scared of alienating its viewers...