Bones Forums

Thursday 8:00 PM on FOXBetween Seasons

Official Discussion - 5x19 The Rocker in the Rinse Cycle

penelope1985

[21]Apr 29, 2010
    • level: 21
    utgotye wrote:
    ARollingStone11 wrote:
    I really enjoyed the episode. But I think I'd prefer the Simpsons' Rock & Roll Fantasy Camp to the one in Bones. Loved the Hodgins/Arastoo scenes even though I'm not a fan of baseball. Glad for Cam, but a weird way to meet someone. Let's just hope it lasts.

Brennan, well, her taste in music is just hopeless and she's is no Keith Richards. Her faith in her self is just getting more and more annoying. I get that it is who she is, but even people with minimal social skills understands that tooting one horns in front of friends over and over again is not good.

Her bringing up Catherine seemed to me to not be that much jealousy, but an unhealthy interest or maybe a way for her to connect with Booth so that their partnership don't get weird.

And last, their duet just made me cringe.

I would love to see Temperance's reaction if Booth pulled the same thing Temperance did when she first had sex with Sully. After all, they are partners and partners tell each other everything lol. Never happen but it would be hilarious.

Ιndeed
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Edward_Nigma

[22]Apr 29, 2010
    • level: 54

penelope1985 wrote:
    Edward_Nigma wrote:
    So not looking forward to this one....lol.
    what? why? the sneak peeks are amazing...

It just looks so cheesy! It looks like lots of the recent episodes where the case is blah blah whatever, everyone acts all unprofessional, and Bones and Booth semi-flirt and make jokes that are more annoying than funny.

Lol...that could be the episode summary of half the season.

Maybe I'm too judgy though on this -- we'll see tonight!

Edited on 04/29/2010 12:42pm

idlescribe

[23]Apr 29, 2010
    • level: 9
    I enjoyed the episode, though I must say it was at times confusing to me.

The case was weak or may be I just didn't connect with the rock fantasy thing. I should also say I am uneasy with the way they paint Arastoo. I feel they are overcompensating (for him being a muslim) by making him overly American, which should not be necessary. I dunno...

I will skip the singing, jealousy, etc., largely covered already.

I liked Angela saying about the 1/4-million guitar: "I am not gonna watch that...," and stepping back.
    The following conversation between Cam and her 'daughter' was priceless. The role switching was well done IMHO. Probably the best conversation of the episode for me.

For someone who agrees with Brennan on Led Zeppelin, my favorite B&B moment was oddly enough this exchange:
    Booth: It's not just a band. This is Led Zeppelin. You know what? I am your partner. You offer your partner that kind of thing.
    Brennan (with an apologetic tone): I didn't know that...

I like Booth's passion when explaining such things. After that, you understand Brennan feeling guilty. Boreanaz is a good actor.

idlescribe

[24]Apr 29, 2010
    vinsfins wrote:

[...]

This episode has me confused. I can't tell if TPTB want Bones to be jealous of the relationship between Booth and Catherine, or happy for them. Perhaps this is reflective of the character herself: Bones doesn't know if she wants Booths new relationship to succeed or not.

This precisely my thought...

Starprincess13

[25]Apr 29, 2010
    • level: 24

This was a pretty good episode. Not one of my favourites but still very enjoyable.

Liked:

- the conversations about testicles. The one in the diner was hilarious with Brennan talking about trauma necessitating removal. Sweets and Booth's facial expression were awesome and I loved Booth's tone with the "No.......no".

- Cam met a guy!!!! I knew it was going to happen but I didn't expect to like him so much. I hope they bring him back. Also, lol to them telling dates that they are accountants and insurance underwriters.

- Michelle telling Cam to "Get a life...for my sake". Good advice Michelle, Cam has had no social life for a while now. Cam looked completely shocked/taken aback that whole scene and it was funny.

- the duet. Was their singing amazing? Obviously not but it was still sweet to see them singing together (with Brennan on guitar) and enjoying themselves. It was also amusing to watch.

- Hodgins and Arastoo bonding over baseball. Also, I totally agree with Brennan that sometimes it is fun to hit things.

- Sweets acting all 'fangirl-ish' in the interrogation room.

- The guy's confession. For some reason, I just liked how he just jumped off the stand and was like "YEAH, that was awesome!! Totally worth it!!" since it was a little different than usual. Booth and Brennan looked a little confused, like they were expecting resistance or denial. I found it amusing.

- Angela contributing information about guitars and mentioning her dad.

- The Rock and Roll aspect of the episode. I love rock and roll so I enjoyed that although the camp part not as much since that was kind of weird.

- Brennan liking some band that most people seem to regard as a laughingstock.

- the final scene. I liked Brennan telling Booth how their partnership is very important to her, Booth's line about dying for your partner and Booth criticizing Brennan for turning down Led Zeppelin tickets and telling her that she is supposed to give those sort of things to him.

Not Liked:

- Hodgins bringing up the fact that Arastoo is Muslim again during their discussion of playing baseball. I don't see why every time Arastoo is the intern, the writers keep bringing that up. Not everything has to do with his religion.

~~~~~~~

One scene (or line really) that really stuck with me was when Brennan was talking to Cam in the lab about how Booth seems to like Catherine. This bit in particular:

Cam: "But you're dating Hacker".

Brennan: "Yes, and I like him. But not like Booth".

Cam gives her a look and starts to smile.

Brennan: "I mean, not like how Booth wants to like someone".

I can't decide whether or not what happened was that Brennan slipped and revealed to Cam that she has feelings for Booth (and obviously doesn't like Hacker as much as she likes Booth) and Cam caught it (hence her odd look and beginning of a smile) or if it was just supposed to sound like Brennan made it sound like Booth liked Hacker more than she said which Cam would find funny.

Overall, a very good episode. I have been very impressed with season 5 so far.

Geri08

[26]Apr 29, 2010
    • level: 31
    Starprincess13 wrote:

One scene (or line really) that really stuck with me was when Brennan was talking to Cam in the lab about how Booth seems to like Catherine. This bit in particular:

I can't decide whether or not what happened was that Brennan slipped and revealed to Cam that she has feelings for Booth (and obviously doesn't like Hacker as much as she likes Booth) and Cam caught it (hence her odd look and beginning of a smile) or if it was just supposed to sound like Brennan made it sound like Booth liked Hacker more than she said which Cam would find funny.

What she actually meant there was that she did not like Hacker like Booth wanted to like Catherine...

Starprincess13

[27]Apr 29, 2010
    • level: 24

Geri08 wrote:
    Starprincess13 wrote:

What she actually meant there was that she did not like Hacker like Booth wanted to like Catherine...

Ok, thanks.

leapinglizard99

[28]Apr 29, 2010
    • level: 2
    Geri08 wrote:

See I would've said that it was her subconcious speaking out - she does look a little down when she says it. I didn't think she really realised what she said until Cam gave her that funny look.

But at the same time she justified your meaning and took the focus of her and Booth's relationship.

grissomsidle

[29]Apr 29, 2010
    • level: 17
    Very quickly, I was kind of confused on why Tempe felt the need to unplug the guitar when they first went to the camp. I know she wanted Booth's attention and that they were supposed to be going to talk to Simon but she could have given him a few minutes. I almost felt like it was a bit of a lashing out or rather a mini adult tantrum. Maybe I don't know. Yeah, she brought up Catherine a lot and it's her attempt at trying to be alright with Booth being with her. At least that's what it looks like to me. She's trying too hard to be okay with it.

Geri08

[30]Apr 30, 2010
    leapinglizard99 wrote:
    Geri08 wrote:

See I would've said that it was her subconcious speaking out - she does look a little down when she says it. I didn't think she really realised what she said until Cam gave her that funny look.

But at the same time she justified your meaning and took the focus of her and Booth's relationship.

Welcome to the Forum...

Yes I agree that it could be her subconscious (actually most likely) here and when she realised what she had said and saw the look Cam gave her, she quantified what she had said...

girlcosmic

[31]Apr 30, 2010
    • level: 3
    hi- i've been hanging out in Tic Tac team land, but after the gutting I got from the 100th have watched ahead.

thank God this was a good episode. I'm glad this one had a nice mix of case, fun, other characters & BB. It was a relief to see Brennan start to turn a corner and show some emotion about the Booth thing. She seems concerned about where she might fit now in Booth's life. Perhaps she feels some kind of fear of abandonment from him now that Catherine is there. That would shatter her: to lose him as a partner/friend after having knocked him back as a lover. I liked her innocent Freudian slip, but it also made me sad that she feels that she can't have/doesn't deserve a long term relationship. It sounded like she was trying to convince herslf.

But what is it with Catherine giving Booth a tie after 2 dates? Any normal man would run screaming if a woman tried that - too eager, too fast. A bit far fetched...

Geri08

[32]Apr 30, 2010
    girlcosmic wrote:
    But what is it with Catherine giving Booth a tie after 2 dates? Any normal man would run screaming if a woman tried that - too eager, too fast. A bit far fetched...

I would say he is just out of practice...enjoying a little care and attention...He did seem to cotton on and look a little anxious when Bones told him it was 'a social contract'...and we really saw what he thought of the tie there at the end with it around his head...Lol!

Genzie

[33]Apr 30, 2010
    • level: 12
    Well, I liked the episode, but not as much as usual. The Rock And Roll murder case didnt realy took my interest, neither did baseball. But the converstations that werent about the case were nice to see, esp the last scene between Booth and Brennan. Also I like the fact Cam met someone

RoverGuy

[34]Apr 30, 2010

I tuned into Bones and got an episode of the Dating Game! Bachelor #1 what would you do on a first date...

Brennan knows the worlds to "Hot Blooded" but does not know who Led Zeppelin is? Very inconsistent, but then again she is the most intelligent, richest, sexy, beautiful and talented person on the planet (as she reminds us every single episode) so we'll let it pass. That duet was painful and very cringe worthy, I had to switch channels while it was on.

The case wa so noteworthy I can't even remember who did it or why (and really don't care). Undecided

4/10

penelope1985

[35]Apr 30, 2010
    Geri08 wrote:
    girlcosmic wrote:

I would say he is just out of practice...enjoying a little care and attention...He did seem to cotton on and look a little anxious when Bones told him it was 'a social contract'...and we really saw what he thought of the tie there at the end with it around his head...Lol!

So true! If Brennan were to give him a tie he would regard it as the Holy Grail!

Meaghanlr92

[36]Apr 30, 2010
    • level: 4
    And here goes another review. To be honest, I forgot about it yesterday and I had to go to the dentist in the morning. I didn't write a lot of notes because it was a while into the episode before I noticed I hadn't been.

Things I liked:

- The conversation between Cam and Brennan

- Brennan admitting Fivehead isn't as great as Booth is

- I loved that Angela knew so much about guitars and appreciated them, because her father is a musician.

- I know this isn't her first appearance, but I like the actress who plays Michelle now more than the original one

- The 'Partnership' conversation at the end

- That I could recognize lines and scenes from the sides in the episode

Things I didn't like:

- Brennan likes being single? Seriously? It didn't seem that way before.

- Brennan playing the guitar . . . I don't know. It just seems odd.

Other thoughts:

- It felt like there were a bit too many sub-plots . . . Maybe it was just me.

- This episode, and the next episode, are pretty much filler for me until the GD episode and the finale, so I wasn't interested in this one or the next

- Brennan mentioned Catherine an awful lot, and the whole thing with Hacker seems like there's more to the story. I originally never thought Brennan loved Booth, because she certainly never shows it and always brushed the thought off in a way that I saw meant she didn't, but the amount she talks about Catherine, and the way she is with Hacker, makes it seem like she's doing it to pretend she doesn't care or something. It made no sense in PitP to turn down sleeping with Hacker. All I know is that there's more to this than meets the eye.

- A so-so episode. I don't think I'd watch it again. The Cam/Michelle story was nice to see and I'm glad Cam is finding romance.

Geri08

[37]Apr 30, 2010
    penelope1985 wrote:
    Geri08 wrote:
    girlcosmic wrote:

So true! If Brennan were to give him a tie he would regard it as the Holy Grail!

Lol! Absolutely....

Geri08

[38]Apr 30, 2010
    Emily getting lessons on the guitar...
    ~~
    http://twitpic.com/1jj9p0

penelope1985

[39]Apr 30, 2010
    Geri08 wrote:
    penelope1985 wrote:
    Geri08 wrote:
    girlcosmic wrote:

Lol! Absolutely....

Really! He would putt it on his desk next to the Bobby figurine and there would be a plaque saying:" This tie was bestowed to me by Dr Temperance Brennan, world renowned Anthropologist"

penelope1985

[40]Apr 30, 2010
    "... and best selling author"