TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Bones Forums

Thursday 8:00 PM on FOXIn Season

Official Discussion - 5x20 The Witch in the Wardrobe

Hirundine

[81]May 8, 2010
    • level: 26
    Geri08 wrote:

Well I have no problems at all...They get extra money for doing it...Money that HH and the PTB can spend to make it a better episode in some way that they might not have been able to do...

I'd rather they used, say, fewer/less expensive special effects and props and instead tried writing something good?

Geri08 wrote:
    I am more interested in the show than in the advertising...

Yeeeeah, me too ... which is why I'd like the two to be separate.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

penelope1985

[82]May 8, 2010
    • level: 21
    Mitoch wrote:

penelope1985 wrote:
    idlescribe wrote:
    penelope1985 wrote:
    OnePerCentClub wrote:
    And the episode wasn't even that good I'm still amazed by the strong and constant ratings Bones has had this season. For a show in its 5th season and the Booth and Brennan sexual tension, hard to keep it interesting without screwing the main idea.
    Ιt's because Flashforward is a failure. So those that don't watch reality shows will turn to Bones. The Vampire Diaries have a different demo I think.
    Yes and also the team behind Bones deserves some credit. Here is a fifth season episode with mixed reviews from fans but very few are really willing to trash it completely. I think it's because: - Angela and Hodgins fans got their marriage. - Lovers of magical and sort of neo-gothic mysteries had some nice things to surf through - People liking the procedural aspects of Bones were handed a case bringing up those almost philosophical discussions between Booth and Bones with Sweets as a cherry on top - Even B*B fans were not totally forgotten as they had a useless naked-women comment and the traditional maintain-the-bond conversation at the end. So not the greatest episode, but skillfully designed to draw us in...
    Οf course the writers deserve the credit but my point is there are only two shows on American tv right now that gain viewers instead of losing them: NCIS and Bones. Both in their 6th and 5th season respectively.

Actually, NCIS is wrapping up its 7th season. And since the 100th episode Bones has lost viewers. Still in the 9 million range, but there has been a drop.

For me, and I'd wager many people, it's not a choice between Bones and Survivor. Or Bones and Flash Forward. For some of us, we simply find other things to do at that time and watch Bones at a later time. Either from a DVR or on the web.

I'm talking about the people who will watch tv anyhow...

OnePerCentClub

[83]May 8, 2010
    • level: 35
    Mitoch wrote:

Actually, NCIS is wrapping up its 7th season. And since the 100th episode Bones has lost viewers. Still in the 9 million range, but there has been a drop

But it hasn't lost that many viewers, that's why it's been steady. The drop is minimum. Let's not forget that Bones was number one show in its time slot before Survivor came back, meaning that people turned to Bones instead of 'brainless' Survivor. And the drop in one week is what, less than 300 thousand viewers, I don't think it's that much.

We can start to worry when the drop is as big as 1 million viewers.

Hirundine

[84]May 8, 2010
    I worry when the quality of the show goes down and the viewers and ratings remain high. Why bother making good episodes when you don't have to?

penelope1985

[85]May 8, 2010
    Hirundine wrote:
    I worry when the quality of the show goes down and the viewers and ratings remain high. Why bother making good episodes when you don't have to?

You always have to make good episodes cause once you jump the shark there's no turning back...

Gydweli

[86]May 8, 2010
    • level: 2

Well....Sweets and Daisy are engaged, Hodges and Angela are married YES!!!! (but could have a formal wedding), and Clark is in a long-term relationship (though I don't recall her name being mentioned). I think it's too much to hope for that Bones and Booth will get together any time soon, but the writers could throw us a curve and have someone else unexpectedly marry.

Gydweli

[87]May 8, 2010
    • level: 2

Actually, I love a good ensemble cast, and this is the one series I watch every week without fail, and continue to enjoy. So many shows on TV these days are total wastes of space, but Bones continues to entertain and to engage borh the emotions and the mind. Many of my friends who didn't start out watching the show now are fans because they love the characters..and thefriends who watch it don't all are mostly among that unfortunate cadre of bad reality programming and celebrity gossip show fans anyway.

lrigD

[88]May 8, 2010
    • level: 8
    For me, it's not really a choice whether to watch Bones or any other show, as I download (ooh! Illegal!) the episodes. I've enjoyed Bones since I started watching (not the beginning of the show, admittedly, but I think it was about two years ago) and while there have been episodes I liked more than others, there hasn't been a single episode that I completely disliked. Bones is one of the three shows I watch devotedly (the other being NCIS and Criminal Minds; I guess you could count NCIS:LA, too, but somehow I still see that one as connected to the 'main' NCIS) and I don't think that will stop anytime soon...

I certainly enjoy these shows more than any of those reality shows or those very light-hearted, soap-like shows. I must admit I also sometimes watch Gossip Girl (which is definitely a different genre, though not a reality show) because it proves a nice distraction, the Upper East Side being as far away from my world as anything can ever be, but that's about it now...

Not sure where I was going with this story, but, well, I like Bones ^^

I liked this episode, too (to at least touch this topic), even if it had its good and bad points. For example, I like Hodgins and Angela back together, but I don't like the marriage. I love how historical facts are sometimes mixed in with the show. It happens on NCIS and Criminal Minds, too; the story is somehow not COMPLETELY fictional, if that makes sense. In this case, the mentioning of the Salem Witch, but I can also mention the JFK case. On NCIS there are many references to Iraq, Afghanistan and occasionally Bosnia or another war-torn place; on Criminal Minds, many references to serial killers, many psychological profiles which (I think) are true. It just makes a show more enjoyable for me ^^

OnePerCentClub

[89]May 8, 2010
    • level: 35
    Hirundine wrote:

Funny you mention that. And how many shows are there on TV that are terrible and yet they have great ratings? I guess we should worry about the audiences. On the other hand, there have been many excellent shows that have gotten cancelled because people just don't watch. And that is sad.

Hirundine

[90]May 8, 2010

OnePerCentClub wrote:
    On the other hand, there have been many excellent shows that have gotten cancelled because people just don't watch. And that is sad.
    True
    Though, even as a fan of many one- or two-season shows I would've loved to see run at least a year or two longer (I'm actually watching Firefly right now), I must say that many - by no means all, but many - beloved shows with early cancellations remain beloved in part for just that reason - like any good legend, they went out in the prime of their lives, before the ideas could run out and the plots go stale.
    Shows just tend to wind down in the later seasons, the writers trying to drag it all out too long - which is why these days I cringe just a bit every time Bones and a few of my other faves get renewed for another season. Six seasons is a respectable run for any series, seven is nice but pushing it, eight or more is dangerous unless you've got a very big cast.

Edited on 05/08/2010 6:23pm

Starprincess13

[91]May 8, 2010
    • level: 24

OnePerCentClub wrote:
    Hirundine wrote:
    Funny you mention that. And how many shows are there on TV that are terrible and yet they have great ratings? I guess we should worry about the audiences. On the other hand, there have been many excellent shows that have gotten cancelled because people just don't watch. And that is sad.

That is most definitely true. Networks only care about making money and not everyone can tell the difference between quality television and crap so those two things can lead to bad shows being aired and good shows being canceled. It is horribly sad. You can't trust that amazing shows will survive.

idlescribe

[92]May 9, 2010
    • level: 9
    Hirundine wrote:
    True
    Though, even as a fan of many one- or two-season shows I would've loved to see run at least a year or two longer (I'm actually watching Firefly right now), I must say that many - by no means all, but many - beloved shows with early cancellations remain beloved in part for just that reason - like any good legend, they went out in the prime of their lives, before the ideas could run out and the plots go stale.

It is a bit pessimistic and severe, but probably true.

Hirundine wrote:

Shows just tend to wind down in the later seasons, the writers trying to drag it all out too long - which is why these days I cringe just a bit every time Bones and a few of my other faves get renewed for another season. Six seasons is a respectable run for any series, seven is nice but pushing it, eight or more is dangerous unless you've got a very big cast.
    Amen to that again. I will be even more strict and recommend no more than 4 or 5 seasons.
    Shows like these could be compared to books of fiction, and we generally expect to finish a book we start. Given the different stages of the human life, running a show for more than 4 or 5 years implies losing or replacing a significant part of the audience. That is unfortunate because any 'author' should wish to have readers/viewers finish the story they have started.
    Yes I know, it is just a matter of ratings...

Hirundine

[93]May 9, 2010

British programs tend to run pretty short (sometimes a bit too short, I'd say), but if an American program plans to run five or fewer 20-ep seasons the fans usually won't have any of it. Not that the writers or networks object too much, I'm sure ... mo' money.

Edited on 05/09/2010 7:55am

BarryWeen3

[94]May 9, 2010
    • level: 14
    Hirundine wrote:

OnePerCentClub wrote:
    On the other hand, there have been many excellent shows that have gotten cancelled because people just don't watch. And that is sad.
    True

Yes, another Firefly Fan. Long live the Browncoats. Rant and rail against FOX for cancelling it...

That show is number one on my list of a show cancelled too early which should have gotten more seasons and I trust that Joss Whedon would have had an ending in mind just like he did with Buffy and Angel, both of which stopped after five seasons (yes Buffy went two more seasons but that wasn't his choice).

Man I miss the dialogue and banter from that show.

So if you think eight is dangerous, what do you consider Law & Order which is trying to push for a record-breaking 21st season to pass Gunsmoke as the longest running drama?

Hirundine

[95]May 9, 2010

BarryWeen3 wrote:
    So if you think eight is dangerous, what do you consider Law & Order which is trying to push for a record-breaking 21st season to pass Gunsmoke as the longest running drama?
    I don't watch Law & Order, not really my thing. Couldn't say how many developed characters it has or whether it's any good these days.

Edited on 05/09/2010 11:12am

Hirundine

[96]May 9, 2010
    BarryWeen3 wrote:

Yes, another Firefly Fan. Long live the Browncoats. Rant and rail against FOX for cancelling it...

That show is number one on my list of a show cancelled too early which should have gotten more seasons and I trust that Joss Whedon would have had an ending in mind just like he did with Buffy and Angel, both of which stopped after five seasons (yes Buffy went two more seasons but that wasn't his choice).

I like that Firefly was mentioned on Bones once.

Whedon has done some good work. Unlike some short series (The Class, for example) that struck me as good but shaky, Firefly really seemed like it was getting into gear near the end.

BarryWeen3

[97]May 9, 2010
    • level: 14
    Hirundine wrote:
    BarryWeen3 wrote:

I like that Firefly was mentioned on Bones once.

Whedon has done some good work. Unlike some short series (The Class, for example) that struck me as good but shaky, Firefly really seemed like it was getting into gear near the end.

Firefly was mentioned on Bones once? Really? When? I missed that...

I know that Firefly is nodded at over in Castle because Nathan Fillion is one of the leads.

Yeah, I really felt that Firefly could have been something if it was given a chance, but even in the small amount we have there is such great dialogue written in that show and such a great ensemble cast.

Zoe: "Cap'n didn't make them fugitives."

Kaylee: "But he coulda made 'em family. 'stead of keepin' Simon from seein' I was there. And I carried such a torch! And we coulda...We're [going] on a year now, I ain't had nothing 'twixt my nethers weren't run on batteries."

Mal: "Oh, God! I can't know that!"

Jayne: "I could stand to hear a little more."

Zoe: "No one's gonna force you to go, Jayne. As has been stated -- this job's strictly speculative."

Jayne: "Good. 'Cause I don't know these folks, don't much care to."

Mal: "They're whores."

Jayne: "I'm in."

Harrow: "You didn't have to wound the man."

Mal: "Yeah, I know, it was just funny."

Jayne: "Ten percent of nuthin' is...let me do the math here...nuthin' into nuthin'...carry the nuthin'..."

Ah...great fun....you are missed...

Hirundine

[98]May 9, 2010

Hodgins mentioned it in Man in the Fallout Shelter, when Zack (awwww Zack) had the misbehaving robot.

Your robot reminds me of you. You tell it to turn, it stops. You tell it to stop, it turns. You ask it to take out the garbage, it watches reruns of Firefly.

With Boreanaz as a star, guess it makes sense that Bones throws out the occasional nod to Whedon as well.

Edited on 05/09/2010 11:50am

penelope1985

[99]May 9, 2010
    Hirundine wrote:

Hodgins mentioned it in Man in the Fallout Shelter, when Zack (awwww Zack) had the misbehaving robot.

Your robot reminds me of you. You tell it to turn, it stops. You tell it to stop, it turns. You ask it to take out the garbage, it watches reruns of Firefly.

With Boreanaz as a star, guess it makes sense that Bones throws out the occasional nod to Whedon as well.

LOL

Starprincess13

[100]May 9, 2010
    • level: 24

Hirundine wrote:

I love that line a lot more now that I have discovered Firefly and am currently watching it.