Bones Forums

Thursday 8:00 PM on FOXBetween Seasons

Official Discussion - 5x22 The Beginning in the End (5th Season Finale)

OnePerCentClub

[101]May 21, 2010
    • level: 35
    penelope1985 wrote:
    True!

I know you'd agree penelope,
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MisfitChicks

[103]May 21, 2010
    • level: 12

Bones. 5x22 The Beginning In The End. Very. Very disappointing.

The case was a yawn.

Everything seemed scattered.

Reasons were weak.

Disappointing.

Hopefully the summer will rejuvenate the writing staff.

Geri08

[104]May 21, 2010
    • level: 31
    Ok...Whew!! Where do I begin? I actually watched it hours ago but wanted to go away and think for a while...Still left with the same feeling though...You know that feeling, like what it feels before the shock sets in...a sort of numbing, best way to describe it...Hopefully the shock will not set in...Yes it was what we were expecting, but I was really expecting more...Even a kiss at the end would have been nice, but I suspect with the rest of the team there (watching on) it would have been difficult, as well as the fact that it just did not seem appropriate either in one sense...appropriate in the sense that they were leaving each other, going to different ends of the earth for a year...allowing for a change to take place in their lives...Just like Booth was planning on moving on at the end of the 100th, I think that this too will be something that neither of them will be able to accomplish. Let's face it, these guys are hook, line and sinkered for each other...In my mind, absence will make the heart grow fonder, if that is possible...

I found the episode rushed...maybe that is not the correct word...what I mean is that so much happened and more time passed in the 45 minutes than we normally see...Booth was approached to go back to the army, he says he will not and then he changes his mind and then he's gone...Bones likewise, gets an offer that she can not refuse and her and Daisy are on the way, although it is more believable in their circumstances.

Just love Hodgins throughout, but the funniest moment was at the crime scene when he saw Billy and 'yelped'...so well done! Just laughed which was good with the current air around the episode so far...

Daisy just drove me MAD! So glad that she is gone and hopefully will not be back...At the time of filming this episode, Carla was in a pilot for another show, so I guess they were leaving it that she could be gone if that show was picked up...But it was not...I really do hope though that they do not bring her back...that is less likely considering that her and Sweets have broken up...

That scene with Booth on the bench with Bones saying that he does not cope well with change was bitter sweet! But I thought 'here's to change' was a bit too accepting too quickly for both of them...Who are they trying to fool?

Caroline was just so sweet...I got the feeling that she cares more for Booth than she lets on (but we have always known that)...She comes across as gruff and uncaring at times but that lady has alot of love in her...Loved her comment 'you two running from each other'...

Loved the final scene...Cam and Bones hugging...what a treat! The difference here between Bones in Harbingers on her return and not wanting to hug Cam and her hugging her here...She has grown so much...Love how she could tell Hodgins that she loved him...wish she could find it in her to do the same to Booth, but that would be too much for her! Too many feelings there, too many scary emotions...Of course just loved the scene between BB...how she was waiting for him...how he came, not being able to get a pass but just going anyway...There was so much emotion and so much feeling there in that hand hold...Booth was nearly crying when he reminded her of their promise to meet at the fountain in a year's time...

My only hope is that it is not a full year...That they come back together sooner...Of course that there are NO third parties involved...I swear I will hunt HH and SN down if they move these two characters backwards in season 6...By all means there is so much they can do with the two characters in the new season, both just coming back from being away from each other for so long...but they can not mess with the basic certainty that these two will be as mad for each other from the word go again...and hopefully Bones will have sorted her feelings out for Booth...

I know there will be so much more to say but that is for another time...

On a lighter note...Anyone else enjoy Cam saying at the airport when she saw Booth 'Oh my God'...Lol...

nightowl128

[105]May 21, 2010
    • level: 3
    I too was disspointed with the finale.. the sceen where they both walk away I thought for sure when they truned around that one or both would run to each other embrace..but myself I don't want to see them get together in a relationship..sorry I'm not in to show about partners falling for each other.... we have already seen that Brennen doesn't want one with Booth, and he's already dicided to move on even if he still has feeling for her..

Who will be left with Cam? Sweets? Brennens interns? will they not be involed in solving crimes for the next year? they should have had Angela and Hodgins only a couple week (honeymoon)and Brennen a couple months, Booth I can see going for a year (military contract)

loved Sweets meowing to the dogs..laughed so hard at that parts

ACDiNosey

[106]May 21, 2010
    • level: 28

yay! we're finally rid of Daisy. Loved/hated her weird outfit in the last scene. Does she seriously think that she'll go straight to the dig when they get to Indonesia!?

With regards to the episode, I must say I've really enjoyed the last few episodes of this season, and this one was just as enjoyable as the others. I don't make much of season finales, as I don't understand why something exceptional should happen every so often that makes you question everything and start over from scratch. Kudos to HH for not doing anything drastic (I don't think a year out none of us will see is what i'd call drastic).

What really SHOCKED me with the episode that nobody's commented upon yet is how backwards Bones has gone since ep 100, and most of all in this season finale. All of a sudden, she seems to have forgotten how to express any feelings and has completely reverted to her old self. This was most apparent when she quoted Booth all the time ("Booth told me that..."), when she called everybody by their last name in the last scene (Dr Saroyan) and most of all (and OMG was I pissed when she did so) when she said "I don't know what that means", when Cam complimented her. At the end of season 4, she sure would have got that meaning.

Somehow, Booth seemed less bothered about it than in the previous episode, where you could see it was paining him. I don't know, I guess his mind was focused on the whole army thing.

Anyway, seems to me that the main consequence of ep 100 is that Bones has totally retreated into her shell and failed to acknowledge any feelings whatsoever (whether hers or others'). As to where they'd start season 6, I'd say, maybe they'll injure Booth in Afghanistan (although that would be cliche), or she'll come back all proud of herself and as blatantly ignorant of anybody's feelings. Either way, it will be a bit like starting from scratch again.

d3x0x

[107]May 21, 2010
    • level: 7

Geri08 wrote:
    On a lighter note...Anyone else enjoy Cam saying at the airport when she saw Booth 'Oh my God'...Lol...

That and I think I saw Angela biting her lip a little bit like she usually does when she sees someone she thinks is hot, yes I realize hownerdy that sounds but after seeing these characters for 5 years you do tend to learn a bit about them.

In regards to next season, I just thought of a killer opening. Brennan is standing by the coffee cart waiting when she receives a phone call. The base that Booth is stationed at has been attacked and sustained massive casualties leaving bodies in need of identification after IEDs and mortar fire. Of course the army asks Brennan to assist in the identification due to her security clearance and previous ties to the government. When Brennan asks about Booth she can't get a straight answer, due to the trauma the bodies sustained the army dosen't know if Booth is among the dead or the captured.

Edited on 05/21/2010 2:40am
    Edited 2 total times.

charlottedotcom

[108]May 21, 2010
    • level: 16
    Finale=

I'm sorry, did HH not just jump a massive shark? (and no, that's not HH in the gif ).

girlcosmic

[109]May 21, 2010

penelope1985 wrote:
    OnePerCentClub wrote:
    girlcosmic wrote:
    I'm starting to think that the intensity of the last scene was the payoff HH was talking about. That yes, they will go their separate ways, but there is a promise. Which is more than the 100th had - some sort of hope. And It's more than sweets and daisy did. B&B know that they will reconnect in 12 months. He's let her go temporarily, yes, but she'll be back in 12 months time.
    Now, this is the most intelligent comment I have read in this thread tonight. And I totally agree.
    True!

Shucks guys Embarassed It's nice that my desperate need to rationalise this ep and HH's decision is viewed in such a way. Hopefully this can help us get through the break and enjoy this show for what it is - a great show and story.

And in Season 6 - speaking of promises - i AM NOT reading spoilers.

kikilayne

[110]May 21, 2010
    • level: 4
    I agree with many of your observations but ultimately it felt like a series finale. Where can they go and what can they do from here? The show came full circle and every storyline was wrapped up in a neat bow. As much as I love this show I wish it was the last episode. When this show ends (if ever) I want it to end the way it began and that's what this episode was like for me. The show began in an airport it should have ended in one also. I may not even watch it next season, unless it's on mute ( I love DB) XOXOXOXO Till Next Season.

ARollingStone11

[111]May 21, 2010
    The ending was far from intense, it was a huge letdown. Payoff for the 100th episode? I think not. They'll meet up a year from now, Brennan with some scientist/anthropologist boyfriend while Booth returns from war wounded or something.

Geri08

[112]May 21, 2010
    d3x0x wrote:

Geri08 wrote:

That and I think I saw Angela biting her lip a little bit like she usually does when she sees someone she thinks is hot, yes I realize hownerdy that sounds but after seeing these characters for 5 years you do tend to learn a bit about them.

In regards to next season, I just thought of a killer opening. Brennan is standing by the coffee cart waiting when she receives a phone call. The base that Booth is stationed at has been attacked and sustained massive casualties leaving bodies in need of identification after IEDs and mortar fire. Of course the army asks Brennan to assist in the identification due to her security clearance and previous ties to the government. When Brennan asks about Booth she can't get a straight answer, due to the trauma the bodies sustained the army dosen't know if Booth is among the dead or the captured.

That sure would be wonderful (of course Booth not being one of the victims or the kidnapped)...maybe he was already on his way home...
    ***SPOILER***

penelope1985

[113]May 21, 2010
    • level: 21
    d3x0x wrote:

Geri08 wrote:

That would be beyond perfect

Geri08

[115]May 21, 2010
    Hey guys...just rewatching the episode and if you look at around 19.45 when Booth is looking at the pictures of when he was in the army...there is a picture of him and another (female) soldier...My gosh! But he was looking at that one like he had memories! Should we be worried? Is there any significance in that? Who is SHE?

charlottedotcom

[116]May 21, 2010
    • level: 16
    MuteTroubadouR wrote:
    girlcosmic wrote:
    I'm starting to think that the intensity of the last scene was the payoff HH was talking about. That yes, they will go their separate ways, but there is a promise. Which is more than the 100th had - some sort of hope. And It's more than sweets and daisy did. B&B know that they will reconnect in 12 months. He's let her go temporarily, yes, but she'll be back in 12 months time.

Cos babe, ILU so hard right now. You and I are definitely on the same page here. Maybe it wasn't what others wanted, but the final scene was written so right, and realistically. And yes it was painful, and yes there was no big gesture of love and loss, but that's because everyone, EVERYONE already knew. They already knew.

We'll help each other out with the spoiler thing, yes?
    Hey, I'll join the season 6 spoiler-free club

Geri08

[117]May 21, 2010

Geri08 wrote:
    Hey guys...just rewatching the episode and if you look at around 19.45 when Booth is looking at the pictures of when he was in the army...there is a picture of him and another (female) soldier...My gosh! But he was looking at that one like he had memories! Should we be worried? Is there any significance in that? Who is SHE?

OH my God...but just looked at it again and you can hear Hodgins in the background saying 'who knows what secret lives we had in our past'?...And Booth goes 'Yeah, I do'...WHILE LOOKING AT THAT PICTURE...

Edited on 05/21/2010 3:28am

penelope1985

[118]May 21, 2010
    • level: 21
    charlottedotcom wrote:
    MuteTroubadouR wrote:
    girlcosmic wrote:

Cos babe, ILU so hard right now. You and I are definitely on the same page here. Maybe it wasn't what others wanted, but the final scene was written so right, and realistically. And yes it was painful, and yes there was no big gesture of love and loss, but that's because everyone, EVERYONE already knew. They already knew.

Τhis is one club I'm never gonna join!

Geri08

[120]May 21, 2010
    penelope1985 wrote:
    charlottedotcom wrote:
    MuteTroubadouR wrote:
    girlcosmic wrote:

Τhis is one club I'm never gonna join!

Me neither!...