Official Discussion - 6x07 - The babe in the bar

Geri08

[41]Nov 20, 2010
    • level: 31

Cliqueclack...good little piece on this episode...picks up on the general dislike of this episode and also the major burp at the end....

http://cliqueclack.com/tv/2010/11/19/bones-the-sour-note-in-the-ending/?utm_source=web&utm_medium=clakus&utm_campaign=social_media

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

firefairyangel

[42]Nov 20, 2010
    • level: 12
    I thought the episode was pretty good overall, but not one that I'm probably going to be drawn to watch particularly often. Especially with the completely disgusting body in the beginning.

I also found Booth extremely out of character at the end. He's always been the type to be loyal to his friends, but to suddenly bail on Angela's "big announcement" just because his girlfriend got home? Completely out of character. And I'm usually the one to be defending the characters when others say things are not like them...but this one, I just couldn't understand.

firefairyangel

[44]Nov 20, 2010
    • level: 12
    MuteTroubadouR wrote:
    firefairyangel wrote:
    I also found Booth extremely out of character at the end. He's always been the type to be loyal to his friends, but to suddenly bail on Angela's "big announcement" just because his girlfriend got home? Completely out of character.

I think that's the point.

I know, but it just seemed a little too extremely out of character if you get what I mean. I know a lot of people change when they start seeing someone, but to completely abandon his close friends just to sleep with his girlfriend? And is it just me, or does their entire relationship seem to be about sex? I know Booth says he loves her, I just still don't see it.

slacroix25

[45]Nov 20, 2010
    • level: 5

Yeah, I to am starting to want Bones to move on. Not good.

idlescribe

[46]Nov 21, 2010
    • level: 9
    I found this episode didn't have much to recommend itself with, even more so than the previous one. In addition, it had something else bothering me, something I couldn't quite put my finger on until I came to 'The Place For Bones' and read the following post:

penelope1985 wrote:
    Basically I don't think I've ever disliked Booth more... I'm surprised noone mentioned the way he kept dismissing Brennan, how he didn't even bother to chuckle at her lame jokes... how he kept making faces and interrupting her... [...]
    I know I tend to be verbose, plus I seem to be obsessed with the word 'epic', so please bear with me...

The records clearly show I had no issues with Booth having a sweetheart, heck, I even like the girl. I didn't originally wish for that situation, but I welcomed it because it was done for the greater good. Let me define greater good in this context: It is a fine, healthy, stout and everlasting love. An epic love. Now that is not just my humble opinion, it is what we have been led to believe, what we have been sold. It is simple really: Booth is in love with Brennan who knows he has all the qualities that everlasting love - if there is such a thing, would require in a male. However, she would not have him because she doesn't think she has what it takes despite her 'current' (read temporary) feelings for him.
    This is good stuff. The road to love is out of the ordinary and perilous, plus there is a lock at the end: Given how unusual she is, Brennan coming to her senses would seal the business forever.

Bones' writers did the most difficult, they gradually came up with a perfect setup for an epic story, but with what has happened recently, they might have compromised it with Booth, who ironically was considered a known quantity.

My opinion - and we all have one about this, is that love gets to be healthy by only moving forward during its inception. If a person's path to love is from 1 to 10, when that person is at step 4, going back to 3 means being able potentially to go all the way back to 0, meaning to fall out of love. Not good for something vying to be everlasting, not to mention epic.
    This is what just happened with Booth.
    Brennan may improve her pop culture and her social skills but she will never be a Cam or an Angela. She will always be slightly 'odd'. Falling in love with Brennan means examining that consciously or unconsciously and deciding it doesn't matter or even finding it endearing, take your pick. The bottom line is, it would be part of a step that Booth seemed to have passed, until very recently...

Here we are suddenly thrown into the sort of relationships we have in real life and that are commonplace in other shows, where from one day to the next people suddenly find they cannot stomach something that was clearly part of the package.

I am afraid whatever the writers are doing now might destroy what they set us up to. That they will make Brennan get involved with Booth in something we the viewers do not trust to last. Something that would be a total waste of Brennan's character...

idlescribe

[47]Nov 21, 2010
    ARollingStone11 wrote:

This episode was a meh.

Like I said last week, it seems like HH have lost all interest in the show and would rather spend his time pissing fans off. The case was pretty obvious, doesn't the guy who did it play the killer in every show he's been in?

I really didn't need a reminder of how "awesome" Brennans new phone is either.

As far as Booth is concerned, what was the point of him showing up at the bar if he couldn't fake it? Would he just give it all away and ruin the moment? Why should he bother to laugh at her lame jokes and accept her social awkwardness towards suspects? And why is Booth the only one that have to suffer in the B&B relationship? Well, he's not the only one I guess, there are millions of fans suffering at the moment as well.

With that out of the way I think I'll go have some chocolate.

LOL
    Sorry but I think Microsoft has decided we will notice their new smartphone Operating System whether we like it or not. There was something similar in Castle. I wonder how many shows are affected or have been 'infected'...

I am with Sweets and you on chocolate. I like it too much. Just have to make sure I don't eat it while watching Bones...

carioca22

[49]Nov 22, 2010
    • level: 15

Does she really need to change? Aside from believing in love does she really need to become someone else for Booth?

Can she really become an Angela in a believable way?

I don't think that she'll ever be like Angela. And honestly until last season I didn't think she had to. I thought Booth was confortable with whom she was. That he found her "oddities" endearing. That he fell in love with her while she was still social awkward and that was never really a problem to him.

In the 100th when she said she couldn't chage I thought: now Booth is going to say she doesn't have to, that he loves her like she is. He didn't.

And now he can't stand her "oddities". Coming back with a girlfriend completely shattered any growing idea of love Bones had formed in her head. How can someone be so in love and then fall in love all over again for someone else in such a short time? It must be hormones, right?

I'm having difficulty seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Things get worse every episode we see... it can come to a point I don't believe in their love anymore.

penelope1985

[50]Nov 22, 2010
    • level: 21
    He's not in love... or maybe he is but being in love is not the same every time... It's more likely that Booth is now in lust and he's presented with the opportunity to realize all his life long dreams...

carioca22

[51]Nov 22, 2010
    • level: 15
    penelope1985 wrote:
    He's not in love... or maybe he is but being in love is not the same every time... It's more likely that Booth is now in lust and he's presented with the opportunity to realize all his life long dreams...

I believe that too.
    I wrote that from Brennan' pov. She can't tell the difference. For her he is in love with Hannah. Therefore love is ephemeral and untrustworthy.

penelope1985

[52]Nov 22, 2010
    carioca22 wrote:
    penelope1985 wrote:

I believe that too.
    I wrote that from Brennan' pov. She can't tell the difference. For her he is in love with Hannah. Therefore love is ephemeral and untrustworthy.

Εven worse...
    Brennan believes Booth is happy which is an even bigger lie...

penelope1985

[53]Nov 22, 2010
    http://everythinghappenseventually.blogspot.com/2010/11/in-which-they-both-agree-love-is-idiot.html

recap from the Everything happens eventually blog

BarryWeen3

[54]Nov 22, 2010
    • level: 14
    I always wonder too, even despite protests from the creator or writers themselves to the contrary, if the fear of the Moonlighting curse isn't in the back of their minds. They always say they don't believe in the curse, yet how often do we actually see the UST between couples we like resolved in a manner and time that doesn't drive most fans bat crazy cuckoo.

idlescribe

[55]Nov 22, 2010
    penelope1985 wrote:
    carioca22 wrote:
    penelope1985 wrote:

I believe that too.

Even worse...
    Brennan believes Booth is happy which is an even bigger lie...

Yes, and unfortunately, a lie much more believable now, even from the viewer point of view...

danharr

[57]Nov 23, 2010
    • level: 45

It was an okay episode guess it was filler hard to tell now a days with this show. Don't know which was worse Cam being condescending and trying to order her step daughters life around or step daughter following a guy into a major life decision and expecting the world to be okay with it. As for the baby drama after Hodgkins melt down two seasons ago I almost expected him to run away from the relationship again over some emotional bull but thankfully the writers can get some things right. The kid always the killer bad choice in bad guy for us regular tv viewers but I suppose the case wasn't the focus this time around.

slacroix25

[58]Nov 23, 2010

BarryWeen3 wrote:
    I always wonder too, even despite protests from the creator or writers themselves to the contrary, if the fear of the Moonlighting curse isn't in the back of their minds. They always say they don't believe in the curse, yet how often do we actually see the UST between couples we like resolved in a manner and time that doesn't drive most fans bat crazy cuckoo.

So true.

JustAnnW

[59]Nov 29, 2010
    I completely agree with you about X-Files. So glad to find a fellow fan! Mulder and Scully had the most perfect love on TV. I for a while, I kept going back and forth between which couple I like more now: Booth and Brennan or Peter and Olivia (Fringe). But this season has just been so very cold, I am beginning to think that even when they do get back together, it will feel forced. Booth seems to have lost any feelings he felt for Bones, forgotten all the sweet things he has said to her over the years. And Bones has become unrecognizable. Somes trying too hard to be like other people, other times more closed than she was 6 years ago. There is no chemistry between them.