Official Discussion - 6x11 - The bullet in the brain

Geri08

[41]Jan 28, 2011
    • level: 31

Goodbye Gravedigger...

http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/01/28/bones-sniper-recapgravedigger-shot/

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Geri08

[42]Jan 28, 2011
    • level: 31

Review...

http://thetwocentscorp.wordpress.com/2011/01/28/bones-recap-review-the-bullet-in-the-brain/

KxGx

[43]Jan 28, 2011
    • level: 6
    Geri08 wrote:

Review...

http://thetwocentscorp.wordpress.com/2011/01/28/bones-recap-review-the-bullet-in-the-brain/

Loved the episode and i am not going to repeat what anyone said ill just agree with you all. However, i have started to notice one thing. The show is at its best when they ditch the silly attempts at humour. This episode, the brennan centric one, the 100th and most of season 1/2. They had a natural humour when Zac was there which they tried to replace only it felt phoney. We only need to look at death of the dearly departed. They have tried to mke the show a 'crimedy' I think its strongest episodes are when the show is pure crime/romance drama. Back to this epi. Not sure if anyone pointed out but i thought it very significant that Brennan did not deny her feelings to her dad. By saying 'i dont want to talk about it' it seems as though she has very much admitted it.

charmed4eva112

[44]Jan 28, 2011
    • level: 20
    KxGx wrote:
    Geri08 wrote:

Review...

Loved the episode and i am not going to repeat what anyone said ill just agree with you all. However, i have started to notice one thing. The show is at its best when they ditch the silly attempts at humour. This episode, the brennan centric one, the 100th and most of season 1/2. They had a natural humour when Zac was there which they tried to replace only it felt phoney. We only need to look at death of the dearly departed. They have tried to mke the show a 'crimedy' I think its strongest episodes are when the show is pure crime/romance drama. Back to this epi. Not sure if anyone pointed out but i thought it very significant that Brennan did not deny her feelings to her dad. By saying 'i dont want to talk about it' it seems as though she has very much admitted it.

You do have a very valid point. I mean, when they don't try to put silly and unneeded humour in episodes, it seems that the episode is better, especially when there is actually unforced humour in the episode. I found myself laughing at a couple of lines in this episode because it felt so natural and stuff.

carioca22

[45]Jan 28, 2011
    • level: 15

I'm not repeating other comments.

Just came here to say how good this ep was. In every aspect. The case, character interaction, character development, Max, Caroline, Gravedigger, etc. We even had a little BB.

This is Bones, not that bs we were shown in the first half of the season.

charmed4eva112

[46]Jan 28, 2011
    Well, as they say, it can only go up from here. I mean, after the first half of the season, it seemed like Bones had hit rock bottom. This episode just proved to me that it's starting its climb back up to what it used to be. Now hopefully it doesn't drop again.

KxGx

[47]Jan 28, 2011
    • level: 6
    charmed4eva112 wrote:
    KxGx wrote:
    Geri08 wrote:

Review...

You do have a very valid point. I mean, when they don't try to put silly and unneeded humour in episodes, it seems that the episode is better, especially when there is actually unforced humour in the episode. I found myself laughing at a couple of lines in this episode because it felt so natural and stuff.

Yes there definately was natural humour, and bones will always have that because it has great characters. I actually laughed out loud at one of Hodgens comments, it went something like "i was happy the gravedigger is dead, i am happy that my wife was wrong." It was nice to hear him refer to her as 'my wife' They just try to hard sometimes, its much better than when they just leave it be

torontogirl98

[48]Jan 28, 2011
    • level: 19
    I loved it, it was very heavy and a little bit more gory than we are used to on the show though, Booth looking at Brennan at the end of the episode gave me a lot of hope too

BarryWeen3

[49]Jan 28, 2011
    • level: 14

charmed4eva112 wrote:
    Well, as they say, it can only go up from here. I mean, after the first half of the season, it seemed like Bones had hit rock bottom. This episode just proved to me that it's starting its climb back up to what it used to be. Now hopefully it doesn't drop again.

2 things than will help the climbing: 1) Whoever wrotethis episode needs to write more episodes and 2) Have DB direct more episodes

charmed4eva112

[50]Jan 28, 2011
    BarryWeen3 wrote:

charmed4eva112 wrote:

2 things than will help the climbing: 1) Whoever wrotethis episode needs to write more episodes and 2) Have DB direct more episodes

Yes! I heard that DB is directing another episode this season, which is awesome!! We need more like this episode. I praise the writer who wrote this episode.

Princess_Pinky

[51]Jan 28, 2011
    • level: 11

bonebooth wrote:
    I'll have to watch it again, but, in the beginning I thought the gravedigger was hinting to Sweets that she didn't act alone. Did anyone else get that sense? I know she was trying to mess with his head a lot, about him being the weak link and all, but I just thought she mentioned there was someone else.

Me too! And the fact that they kept playing the "weakest link" recording, it really made me wonder, if she was working with someone else, did that person consider her the "weakest link" for getting caught and therefore felt the need to kill her? Did she know it was coming? I didn't even realize the episode was over. It was so great, yet felt unfinished, and that line about her not being the only one is still niggling at the back of my brain.

And the other most incredible scene was Caroline talking to Sweets. Just the whole thing had me on edge and when she said she "messed herself," it was...hard to describe. Surreal? Invasive? Sickening? Such a strong, no nonsense woman like Caroline...it was extremely effective in making the viewer just as uncomfortable as Sweets and Caroline, because of the nature of the admission. Amazingly written and even more amazingly executed. And then the way she got to Sweets and made him realize she understood him was great, I love his reaction. Just perfection in that scene.

The only thing is, when she said Brennan's head was spinning around like a Christmas tree, I couldn't help but think about the attack Christmas trees in "The Christmas Invasion" on Doctor Who. lol Probably not the image they were going for...

But wow! Such a brilliant episode, props to everyone involved! Love, love, loved it!

CrimeDramaBee

[52]Jan 28, 2011
    • level: 15
    Compared to the rest of the season, this episode is definatly a 9.8 (with the Doctor in the Photo pulling a 9.7). The action in the opening scene was great and I loved the mob of people. Sweets was depressing me a little, but I was very surprised when Caroline talked to him. The middle of the episode was a little less exciting, but I loved when Booth and Brennan found the lady in the bathtub- you expected that there'd be a body in it but their reaction was good (for people around dead people all the time). That was a gross body- half flesh and half skeleton. The scene right before the end with Booth and the sniper was okay. It just bothered me that it was a one-on-one and he let him get away. Kind of happy, but not that nobody else got killed off, and surprised that this was a Hannah-less episode.
    My perfect 10 episode would be if they had another chapter with a lot of action or a dangerous situation, where they use the whole cast. Miss those stories (ex. Aliens in a Spaceship)

DeGeorgetown

[53]Jan 28, 2011
    • level: 9

I loved this episode, it was so interesting and well done! Two things bothered me though... The gravedigger's attempt at being Hannibal Lecter was pretty lame. Yeah Sweets is insecure sometimes, but I don't think her words should have screwed with his mind so much. They were pretty unoriginal, probably he's heard similar stuff from other crazies.

Second, why did Booth let that guy escape? Yeah he couldn't take a kill shot if there was doubt, but why not shoot him in the legs so he couldn't waltz away? The guy was obviously a criminal, putting land in Booth's name and causing an explosion that injured an FBI agent... isn't that enough of an excuse to shoot him in the leg?

charmed4eva112

[54]Jan 28, 2011
    DeGeorgetown wrote:

I loved this episode, it was so interesting and well done! Two things bothered me though... The gravedigger's attempt at being Hannibal Lecter was pretty lame. Yeah Sweets is insecure sometimes, but I don't think her words should have screwed with his mind so much. They were pretty unoriginal, probably he's heard similar stuff from other crazies.

Second, why did Booth let that guy escape? Yeah he couldn't take a kill shot if there was doubt, but why not shoot him in the legs so he couldn't waltz away? The guy was obviously a criminal, putting land in Booth's name and causing an explosion that injured an FBI agent... isn't that enough of an excuse to shoot him in the leg?

Well, I got a couple of theories which probably don't make much sense/are wrong, but they just came to mind after reading your post.

For the first thing, I do agree with you, but it might be because he's always felt insecure with working with the FBI, especially with Booth and Brennan, and since they have critisized and judged him quite a bit for the first few years, he could feel insecure about it anyways. And Heather Taffet, as far as we know, is the only one that has confronted him about this subject so bluntly. He could have felt like a weak link anyways but when somebody says something like that aloud to somebody else, it'll tend to make the person think and reevaluate themselves. Sweets has always been insecure, especially when judged by Brennan about psychology and, of course, his age, so maybe being told he was a weak link by a serial killer only enforced his insecurities already. I dunno, the thought made much more sense in my head. I'll try to reword it later.

As for the second part, after getting caught in an explosion, most people won't be thinking clearly enough as adrenaline is pumping and you're hurt and stuff. So Booth either didn't want to chance missing because he was hurt (he seemed to be having trouble seeing anyways as he looked at the explosion) or he was thinking about shooting Jake in the leg.

emopeanut

[55]Jan 28, 2011
    • level: 1

BOOTH IS BACK!!!!!!!!!! plus a hannah free episode, LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

This is hands down the best episode of Bones for season 6 so far. The part where Heather Taffet's head gets blown to pieces was EPIC. I rewinded it so many times, it was so cool! =X And that dead girl in the bathtub seemed like something straight out of a horror movie. Ack, I really have nothing more to say other than 10/10!!!!

We finally see some emotion on Booth's face directed towards Brennan. That last scene where Booth looked adoringly at Brennan was probably a hint that they're going to get together soon. I really wished that Max could've had a "man" talk with Booth though. Just like how Angela's dad had a talk with Hudgens.

***And.....I can't help but feel like Max is the "reoccuring character" who becomes the victim of that sniper...

ForeverAngel2Me

[56]Jan 28, 2011
    • level: 3

OnePerCentClub wrote:

Ratings updated:

Bones was up 11% versus last week and its highest rating in nearly 4 years! 12.150 million viewers. I'm sure there will be an adjustment, but still great numbers.

Congratulations!

Yes, Siree! ... I will say that's 'mighty-impressive' for Boreanaz's third 'directorial' 'Bones' episode! Actually, I remember seeing an interview awhile back, where Deschanel commented on Boreanaz directing the 100th episode. She said something to the fact of Boreanaz ""having a 'whole other career' in life, if he wants it!"" ... which, no doubt, Deschanel was referring to him leaving the 'acting' field, and focusing on being a 'director'! Really, I'm not 'too surprised' Deschanel 'credited' him like that, as Boreanaz does have a GREAT 'skill and talent' for directing. I mean, his 'attention-to-detail' when 'shooting scenes' is 'soooooo realistic' ... it completely 'astounds' me. Although, I have to admit that (back in 2004) ... after watching that Season 5 'Angel' episode called "Soul Purpose"... I already understood how Boreanaz could 'go far' with directing ... because this guy really DOES KNOW exactly 'what to do' when he's 'in front of that camera'! Amen! *applause-applause*

Geri08 wrote:

Yeah! Hope our Bones is on the up and up every which way from now on!!!!

Well, this past week had both 'CSI' & 'Grey's Anatomy' in 'repeats'... (which I knew of with Grey's ... though, 'surprised' with CSI.) But, next week 'both shows' return with NEW episodes ... so, let's see what happens!

Really, now that it looks as if they're 'starting-to-correct' the show's direction from the 'negative outcome' within their first half of this season... I'll hope 'Bones' ratings can remain GREAT, and wish them 'continued success' for more seasons! Honestly, this episode showed a 'turn-around' for the better! Yeah, I actually did dvr 'Bones' and watched it after 'Nikita' was over. (I usually dvr 'Nikita' and watch 'CSI' ... although, since 'CSI' was a repeat ... just saying....) Actually, It was nice to see that 'Ms. Afghanna' was 'nowhere around' for this episode! It will be 'even nicer' once that's a 'permanent equasion' and Hannah's 'out of the picture' for good! As for Boreanaz & Deschanel ... well, it's 'about time' the 'powers' are 'changing-the-course' with 'returning' the 'chemistry' between their characters! So, here's to shipping B&B all over again ... and of course, NO MORE Hannnnah! *clap-clap*

Sadly, I'm still not gonna return to watching regularly yet! From my viewpoint ... once these 'start-for-the-better' CHANGES get this show 'back-on-track' on a 'consistent' positive level ... then, IMO, I might resume watching! But, until the 'powers' convince me, it's 'just about there' ... no can do!

thabeatles772

[57]Jan 28, 2011
    • level: 18
    Even at half speed, booths still twice as fast as everyone else (and can shoot a hole in The middle of a dime on the run) I don't think he was worried about missing..

I don't think they should drag out sweets' reaction to being told he's worthless.

I just watched the promo for next week, it looks good, but I wonder why wendall is interning twice in a row? Maybe she finally picked one.

OnePerCentClub

[58]Jan 28, 2011
    • level: 35
    carioca22 wrote:
    This is Bones, not that bs we were shown in the first half of the season.

Exactly my opinion. This is Bones! And if you want to know what I think of this ep... Please read my review at the episode page here on tv.com.

I'm sooooo happy about this episode!

OnePerCentClub

[59]Jan 28, 2011
    • level: 35
    With the case remaining unsolved, Bones kind of got itself a subplot.

And that is great!

And yes, whoever wrote this episode should write more. Everything was believable. This is the first time in a year that I feel like watching the episode again!

BarryWeen3

[60]Jan 29, 2011
    • level: 14

OnePerCentClub wrote:
    With the case remaining unsolved, Bones kind of got itself a subplot. And that is great! And yes, whoever wrote this episode should write more. Everything was believable. This is the first time in a year that I feel like watching the episode again!

But you knew already that he wasn't going to get caught.

Besides which, there hasn't been that "beloved recurring character" gunned down by the sniper yet.

The DB directed episodes have been great, we get to see this season if ED does as well. If she does, maybe all the actors of Bones should take a turn behind the camera...