Bones Forums

Thursday 8:00 PM on FOXBetween Seasons

Official Discussion - 6x16 - The blackout in the Blizzard

What will we get out of the episode?

Geri08

[101]Mar 21, 2011
    • level: 31

Cliqueclack...Bones goes dark but makes the most of it's light...

http://cliqueclack.com/tv/2011/03/18/bones-david-boreanaz-directed/

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Geri08

[102]Mar 21, 2011

The Voice of TV...

http://thevoiceoftv.com/blog/bones-the-blackout-in-the-blizzard-6-16-review/31801

JustAnnW

[103]Mar 21, 2011
    • level: 5

BarryWeen3 wrote:

JustAnnW wrote:

BarryWeen3 wrote:

JustAnnW wrote:

BarryWeen3 wrote:

Jack146 wrote:

moustasch1 wrote:
    We all know it's going to happen, but my biggest concern is how they're going to get past the F.B.I.'s rule about fraternization.

JustAnnW wrote:
    As far as the FBI fraternization rules, are we sure there are such rules? Booth's boss Hacker dated Bones, thought nothing of it. And elsewhere in TV land other agents have dated. In X Files, Skinner (an Assistant Director) didn't even bat an eye when Agent Scully was pregnant by Agent Mulder! More recently on Fringe, Agent Olivia Dunham is dating Consultant Peter Bishop! Olivia's boss Broyels doesn't seem to care. And on USA there was a series a while back (hope it returns) where two CIA agents are married.

There is no fraternization problem. Booth and Hacker work for the FBI. Bones works for the Jeffersonian Institute. In the pilot episode, Booth sees that Bones can be a big help and asks his boss to allow them to use her on cases.

Olivia Dunham works for the FBI. The FBI needed help from Walter Bishop but because he was institutionalized, they needed permission from a family member. Olivia located Peter in Baghdad and went there to get his permission and also asked him to help the FBI control his father.

As far as married CIA agents I can only think of the short lived NBC show, Undercovers. If that is it, they both left the CIA to get married, but then the CIA asked them to come back.

Well it can't be Undercovers Ann is talking about as that was on NBC and she's talking about a show on the USA network which is why I replied that she has to be talking about Covert Affairs, which is coming back this summer on June 7 for a second season. In Covert Affairs, the CIA's Director of Clandestine Affairs played by Peter Gallager is married to the head of the CIA's Domestic Protection Division played by Kari Matchett.

Thanks, Matt! I was thinking about Covert Affairs (couldn't remember the name of the show at first, but glad to learn it's coming back. Really liked it!)

And in the 100th ep of Bones, during the flash back, Booth tells Bones he can't date her because the FBI can't date consultants. But obviously that's either not true or a policy that's overlooked. Cam and Bones are both consultants for the FBI on Bones, and Peter Bishop is a consultant on Fringe.

I wonder if Booth just said that because although he is imediately attracted to her (Do you believe in fate? he asks when they meet) he is also terrifiedby his feelings for her. I think he still is terrified by his feelings for her.

You're welcome. USA churns out a lot of good shows, IMO. Psych, Covert Affairs, Burn Notice, etc. I find a lot of good shows on cable (Burn Notice, Justified, Leverage, The Glades, Eureka), I think half the shows I watch are on cable. Yup, I'm pretty sure it's close to 50/50 split between network shows and cable shows nowadays for me.

I don't think Booth is terrified of his feelings for her as he is terrified that there is something wrong with him innately that all the women in his life have rejected his offer of committment (in his mind this is what he thinks), i.e. with Brennan when Booth asked her to take a chance in the 100th, when Rebecca said no when Booth offered to marry her after learning of the pregnancy, the latest with Hannah, etc.

So do you think Booth understands that when she pushed him away last spring it was about her "imperviousness" or closed heart and it had NOTHING to do with him?!

For me it's hard to imagine Booth's lack of confidence, even though her talked about what was wrong at the end of Daredevil in the Mold. I always think of guys as being more confident that women. Besides, I don't know what Rebecca's deal was, but H didn't turn him down because of him, either. She just doesn't want to settle down. (Thank Goodness for That!) Booth shouldn't take either rejection personally.

I'm just trying figure out the way this guy thinks!

Yeah, I like Psych, Burn Notice, Royal Pains, and In Plain Sight from USA. I hardly watch anything from the big three channels any more: Just House, Castle, SVU, and Big Bang Theory.

Yes, Booth rarely suffers from a lack of confidence but consider his history: he was physically abused by his father, raised by his grandfather, and had to be the adult in his relationship with his brother. This made him grow up faster, imbued him with a huge sense of responsibility and duty as did his stint in the army and his current FBI job. So yes, he doesn't usually have a lack of confidence because of his awareness of duty and responsibility.

But his childhood abuse has to also affected him negatively also. There wasn't anything he could do about it, but he tried his best to shield his brother from their father, which is why he took the brunt of the abuse. Doing this is where I think his sense of responsibility started to build as was his need to control situations which was brought up by Dr. Gordan Wyatt during therapy.

However much it doesn't make sense, I think Booth views the rejections by Brennan, Hannah, and Rebecca as something wrong with him as tying in with his rejection by his father because if there wasn't anything wrong with him, why was his father acting the way he was in physically abusing him. Looking from the outside, we would say there's nothing wrong with him and that it wasn't his fault that his father was abusing him nor the reasons that each of these women "rejected" him, i.e. Brennan said she couldn't be the woman he wanted, Hannah didn't want to get married, and Rebecca was afraid of losing her own self identity.

Logically, none of these rejections were Booth's fault per se, but in Booth's viewpoint shaped by his childhood and upbringing he doesn't see it this way. He even voiced this when he was talking with Bones after his rejected marriage proposal by Hannah.

Similar to the explanation in The Doctor in the Photo, Booth right now is not in the right frame of mind to embark on a relationship with Brennan until his mindset rights itself. So for now, he still values his friendship with Brennan and is working to re-establish that.

Okay, enough amateur psychoanalyzing of a fictional tv character....

Bravo, Matt! I had not considered how his childhood abuse could have factored in. Poor Booth! I just wish Brennan would give him a hug! I hope he feels better about things by May!

Geri08

[104]Mar 21, 2011
    JustAnnW wrote:

BarryWeen3 wrote:

JustAnnW wrote:

BarryWeen3 wrote:

JustAnnW wrote:

BarryWeen3 wrote:

Jack146 wrote:

moustasch1 wrote:
    We all know it's going to happen, but my biggest concern is how they're going to get past the F.B.I.'s rule about fraternization.

JustAnnW wrote:
    As far as the FBI fraternization rules, are we sure there are such rules? Booth's boss Hacker dated Bones, thought nothing of it. And elsewhere in TV land other agents have dated. In X Files, Skinner (an Assistant Director) didn't even bat an eye when Agent Scully was pregnant by Agent Mulder! More recently on Fringe, Agent Olivia Dunham is dating Consultant Peter Bishop! Olivia's boss Broyels doesn't seem to care. And on USA there was a series a while back (hope it returns) where two CIA agents are married.

There is no fraternization problem. Booth and Hacker work for the FBI. Bones works for the Jeffersonian Institute. In the pilot episode, Booth sees that Bones can be a big help and asks his boss to allow them to use her on cases.

Olivia Dunham works for the FBI. The FBI needed help from Walter Bishop but because he was institutionalized, they needed permission from a family member. Olivia located Peter in Baghdad and went there to get his permission and also asked him to help the FBI control his father.

As far as married CIA agents I can only think of the short lived NBC show, Undercovers. If that is it, they both left the CIA to get married, but then the CIA asked them to come back.

Well it can't be Undercovers Ann is talking about as that was on NBC and she's talking about a show on the USA network which is why I replied that she has to be talking about Covert Affairs, which is coming back this summer on June 7 for a second season. In Covert Affairs, the CIA's Director of Clandestine Affairs played by Peter Gallager is married to the head of the CIA's Domestic Protection Division played by Kari Matchett.

Thanks, Matt! I was thinking about Covert Affairs (couldn't remember the name of the show at first, but glad to learn it's coming back. Really liked it!)

And in the 100th ep of Bones, during the flash back, Booth tells Bones he can't date her because the FBI can't date consultants. But obviously that's either not true or a policy that's overlooked. Cam and Bones are both consultants for the FBI on Bones, and Peter Bishop is a consultant on Fringe.

I wonder if Booth just said that because although he is imediately attracted to her (Do you believe in fate? he asks when they meet) he is also terrifiedby his feelings for her. I think he still is terrified by his feelings for her.

You're welcome. USA churns out a lot of good shows, IMO. Psych, Covert Affairs, Burn Notice, etc. I find a lot of good shows on cable (Burn Notice, Justified, Leverage, The Glades, Eureka), I think half the shows I watch are on cable. Yup, I'm pretty sure it's close to 50/50 split between network shows and cable shows nowadays for me.

I don't think Booth is terrified of his feelings for her as he is terrified that there is something wrong with him innately that all the women in his life have rejected his offer of committment (in his mind this is what he thinks), i.e. with Brennan when Booth asked her to take a chance in the 100th, when Rebecca said no when Booth offered to marry her after learning of the pregnancy, the latest with Hannah, etc.

So do you think Booth understands that when she pushed him away last spring it was about her "imperviousness" or closed heart and it had NOTHING to do with him?!

For me it's hard to imagine Booth's lack of confidence, even though her talked about what was wrong at the end of Daredevil in the Mold. I always think of guys as being more confident that women. Besides, I don't know what Rebecca's deal was, but H didn't turn him down because of him, either. She just doesn't want to settle down. (Thank Goodness for That!) Booth shouldn't take either rejection personally.

Yeah, I like Psych, Burn Notice, Royal Pains, and In Plain Sight from USA. I hardly watch anything from the big three channels any more: Just House, Castle, SVU, and Big Bang Theory.

Yes, Booth rarely suffers from a lack of confidence but consider his history: he was physically abused by his father, raised by his grandfather, and had to be the adult in his relationship with his brother. This made him grow up faster, imbued him with a huge sense of responsibility and duty as did his stint in the army and his current FBI job. So yes, he doesn't usually have a lack of confidence because of his awareness of duty and responsibility.

But his childhood abuse has to also affected him negatively also. There wasn't anything he could do about it, but he tried his best to shield his brother from their father, which is why he took the brunt of the abuse. Doing this is where I think his sense of responsibility started to build as was his need to control situations which was brought up by Dr. Gordan Wyatt during therapy.

However much it doesn't make sense, I think Booth views the rejections by Brennan, Hannah, and Rebecca as something wrong with him as tying in with his rejection by his father because if there wasn't anything wrong with him, why was his father acting the way he was in physically abusing him. Looking from the outside, we would say there's nothing wrong with him and that it wasn't his fault that his father was abusing him nor the reasons that each of these women "rejected" him, i.e. Brennan said she couldn't be the woman he wanted, Hannah didn't want to get married, and Rebecca was afraid of losing her own self identity.

Logically, none of these rejections were Booth's fault per se, but in Booth's viewpoint shaped by his childhood and upbringing he doesn't see it this way. He even voiced this when he was talking with Bones after his rejected marriage proposal by Hannah.

Similar to the explanation in The Doctor in the Photo, Booth right now is not in the right frame of mind to embark on a relationship with Brennan until his mindset rights itself. So for now, he still values his friendship with Brennan and is working to re-establish that.

Bravo, Matt! I had not considered how his childhood abuse could have factored in. Poor Booth! I just wish Brennan would give him a hug! I hope he feels better about things by May!

Jumping on the band wagon too just to say that Booth needs desperately to feel loved...Even though his father abused him when he was a boy, he can still recall that one time his father was sober and attentive for a week or two before he went back to being the abusive father he was...Booth relished this time with his father, when his father showed him what a father could be...Booth desperately needs to feel loved...he needs to have the beautiful wife, the 2.2 kids and the white picket fence because to him these are all signs of what he did not have when he was a boy and what he believes perfection in life to be!...Therefore, you can imagine when he keeps getting ignored/rejected (unloved) from those he wants more from (Rebecca, Bones, Hannah)and who he wants to give everything to (including all the love he has to give) he instantly is taken back to that feeling of being unloved and abused by his father...I too wanted Bones to hug him so badly...he needed it!

melindakw

[105]Mar 21, 2011
    • level: 10

I think Booth needs to get angry....really pissy and take it to the limit. Maybe the sniper story will have some chops to deliver in the end and Booth can explode and rid himself of his past angst and reset his emotions back to an even keel. Once he and Brennan are neutral he will be able to take the lead and subtly move towards her again. Booth knows Bones can be an emotional numskull sometimes but this time he is the emotional cripple and while he is working with this handicap-he's not the man he wants to be. When Booth is stronger he will make his play.

Edited on 03/21/2011 6:41pm

Geri08

[106]Mar 22, 2011
    melindakw wrote:

I think Booth needs to get angry....really pissy and take it to the limit. Maybe the sniper story will have some chops to deliver in the end and Booth can explode and rid himself of his past angst and reset his emotions back to an even keel. Once he and Brennan are neutral he will be able to take the lead and subtly move towards her again. Booth knows Bones can be an emotional numskull sometimes but this time he is the emotional cripple and while he is working with this handicap-he's not the man he wants to be. When Booth is stronger he will make his play.

Land of misfit toys! Probably the most truest statement ever made!

BarryWeen3

[107]Mar 22, 2011
    • level: 14

Geri08 wrote:
    JustAnnW wrote:

BarryWeen3 wrote:

JustAnnW wrote:

BarryWeen3 wrote:

JustAnnW wrote:

BarryWeen3 wrote:

Jack146 wrote:

moustasch1 wrote:

JustAnnW wrote:

Jumping on the band wagon too just to say that Booth needs desperately to feel loved...Even though his father abused him when he was a boy, he can still recall that one time his father was sober and attentive for a week or two before he went back to being the abusive father he was...Booth relished this time with his father, when his father showed him what a father could be...Booth desperately needs to feel loved...he needs to have the beautiful wife, the 2.2 kids and the white picket fence because to him these are all signs of what he did not have when he was a boy and what he believes perfection in life to be!...Therefore, you can imagine when he keeps getting ignored/rejected (unloved) from those he wants more from (Rebecca, Bones, Hannah)and who he wants to give everything to (including all the love he has to give) he instantly is taken back to that feeling of being unloved and abused by his father...I too wanted Bones to hug him so badly...he needed it!

Exactly, Booth's past has shaped him for both good and bad. Good, in that he grew up with a very strong sense of duty and responsibility because of the absence of his father being a father to him and his brother. More than likely this influenced his life choices of going into the army and the F.B.I., both career paths reinforcing his own sense of duty and responsibility.

Bad, he grew up with the lack of love from a father and got abuse instead. No matter how much his grandfather took care of him and his brother and how much love his grandfather had for them, it still doesn't replace the lack of a father. Though it probably affected Booth more than Jared as Booth was the older child. As much as each woman's rejection was not a reflection on Booth but each woman's own choices and viewpoints, Booth, however irrationally, views the rejection as a relfection of his self-worth stemming from what his childhood was like.

Geri, speaking of hugs. Didn't Booth's grandfather tell her something about that in the episode he appeared in? Telling her that at some point she's going to need to be there for him and hold/hug him? Or am I misrembering as Clemens states it?

Geri08

[108]Mar 22, 2011
    BarryWeen3 wrote:

Geri08 wrote:
    JustAnnW wrote:

BarryWeen3 wrote:

JustAnnW wrote:

BarryWeen3 wrote:

JustAnnW wrote:

BarryWeen3 wrote:

Jack146 wrote:

moustasch1 wrote:

JustAnnW wrote:

Exactly, Booth's past has shaped him for both good and bad. Good, in that he grew up with a very strong sense of duty and responsibility because of the absence of his father being a father to him and his brother. More than likely this influenced his life choices of going into the army and the F.B.I., both career paths reinforcing his own sense of duty and responsibility.

Bad, he grew up with the lack of love from a father and got abuse instead. No matter how much his grandfather took care of him and his brother and how much love his grandfather had for them, it still doesn't replace the lack of a father. Though it probably affected Booth more than Jared as Booth was the older child. As much as each woman's rejection was not a reflection on Booth but each woman's own choices and viewpoints, Booth, however irrationally, views the rejection as a relfection of his self-worth stemming from what his childhood was like.

Geri, speaking of hugs. Didn't Booth's grandfather tell her something about that in the episode he appeared in? Telling her that at some point she's going to need to be there for him and hold/hug him? Or am I misrembering as Clemens states it?

You are correct Matt...In Foot in the Foreclosure he told her that, but it was more in connection with when she tells Booth about the truth of what Hank had to do to his father! It was also intended to do so after Hank died!

Geri08

[110]Mar 22, 2011
    MuteTroubadouR wrote:
    Hey guys, I don't want to be a stick in the mud here, but it actually goes against forum guidelines to quote excessively. Just thought I'd mention it. Some of you probably know this, but it teaches the noobies bad habits, and makes it hard for others to read the thread.

Thanks for reminding us Mute...

BarryWeen3

[111]Mar 22, 2011

Geri08 wrote:

BarryWeen3 wrote:

You are correct Matt...In Foot in the Foreclosure he told her that, but it was more in connection with when she tells Booth about the truth of what Hank had to do to his father! It was also intended to do so after Hank died!

Yeah, I kinda of remember that it had something to do with Booth's father, I just couldn't remember the conversation exactly. Thanks.

Edited on 03/22/2011 7:37pm
    Edited 2 total times.

BarryWeen3

[112]Mar 22, 2011

MuteTroubadouR wrote:
    Hey guys, I don't want to be a stick in the mud here, but it actually goes against forum guidelines to quote excessively. Just thought I'd mention it. Some of you probably know this, but it teaches the noobies bad habits, and makes it hard for others to read the thread.

Fine, spoil my fun. I'll go edit my reply to Geri. Grumble, grumble, mutter, mutter...

IMO, I still think all those giant quote boxes are aesthetically pleasing to look at actually.

Edited on 03/22/2011 7:38pm

Geri08

[114]Mar 23, 2011

BarryWeen3 wrote:

MuteTroubadouR wrote:

Fine, spoil my fun. I'll go edit my reply to Geri. Grumble, grumble, mutter, mutter...

IMO, I still think all those giant quote boxes are aesthetically pleasing to look at actually.

You grumble all you want MattWink...I just join in the conversation sometimes not taking note of how many have gone on before...It's a good sign. Means you are interested in the conversation...Laughing

mattgus

[115]Mar 24, 2011
    when they get together for good the show will be over...i keep forgetting that so many of the fans who take the time to visit the forum watch for the relationship when i find that part a sidetrack from the murder mystery. they need them to be apart or fighting for the proper conflict to work for the drama. once they are together(happily ever after) they will get boring. not that happily ever is real or something the shows producer want. conflict breeds interest...one thing is for sure their reasons for not getting together are strange. most would go for it. it is because it will be a season,series ender...

carioca22

[116]Mar 24, 2011
    • level: 15

Just because they get together doesn't mean all conflicts will be over. Couples have conflicts too, specially those two. It wouldn't be believable to me if they actually do a hapily ever after just because they got to date each other. They have way too many traumas and strong personalities for that. It all comes down to good writing in my POV. And I'll definitely tune in to watch that as well as the cases.

Actually the cases are lacking recently. I used to enjoy more this part of the show too. Not to mention the great cast this show have.

BarryWeen3

[117]Mar 25, 2011

Shows don't have to end just because you get the main couple together. Here's an idea, try something new and different and write interesting drama for a couple that is together. Is there some unwritten rule that once you get a couple together, the show is over, writers run out of ideas or something, can't write for a couple for some reason, what is it?

I'm going to use one my favorite shows as an example and yes it's a comedy as opposed to a drama, but still. On Friends, the main couple that they focused on early and brought together and kept apart was Ross and Rachel, yet they also found the creativity to put Monica and Chandler together, move them through the boyfriend/girlfriend stage to engaged to married to adopting children.

There have been shows in the past that had couples get together and kept them together and kept the show going, is there some fear in writers nowadays, is it that dreaded overused cliche of the moonlighting curse, what is it, I ask again?

Geri08

[118]Mar 25, 2011

carioca22 wrote:

Just because they get together doesn't mean all conflicts will be over. Couples have conflicts too, specially those two. It wouldn't be believable to me if they actually do a hapily ever after just because they got to date each other. They have way too many traumas and strong personalities for that. It all comes down to good writing in my POV. And I'll definitely tune in to watch that as well as the cases.

Actually the cases are lacking recently. I used to enjoy more this part of the show too. Not to mention the great cast this show have.

Amen to that! I agree with every word you said...I would love to see these two as a couple...Think of all the possibilities...Arguments, making up, going out together, weekends by themselves, weekends with Parker, shopping, paying bills, first time away together and all the times after that, moving in together and on and on!!! I would love it...There are at least two more seasons that you could fill with that alone..[/QUOTE]

BarryWeen3 wrote:
    Shows don't have to end just because you get the main couple together. Here's an idea, try something new and different and write interesting drama for a couple that is together. Is there some unwritten rule that once you get a couple together, the show is over, writers run out of ideas or something, can't write for a couple for some reason, what is it?

There have been shows in the past that had couples get together and kept them together and kept the show going, is there some fear in writers nowadays, is it that dreaded overused cliche of the moonlighting curse, what is it, I ask again?

See above...Pure laziness here Matt I am afraid mixed in with some fear from that dreaded myth 'moonlighting curse'....Grow a set PTB and get these two together...Do something that has not been done in a long time, in a good way! You will be surprised at the possibilities your (good) writers will have...[/QUOTE]

Edited on 03/25/2011 6:59am
    Edited 2 total times.

JustAnnW

[119]Mar 25, 2011
    • level: 5

Kutos to cari, matt, and geri!! There is still a lot they can deal with as a couple. For one thing, brennan has never been in love before,and will have issues opening up and sharing. Will booth be able to change brennans mind about married? How will they comprmise about religion and interests.how do you live and work with someone without driving each other crrazy?? Getting a new appreciation for each other once you know someone intimately, trouble getting private time,their families meeting, having a baby, issues with parker. There could be loving looks, stolen kisses, arguements. I think people are expecting brennan will compromise a lot for booth, especially about religion. I would like to see booth see things for scientifically. I would like to see them nervous about taking that leap into a relationship, because they are normally both so confident. And i want see booth bring her flowers, adore her. And see brennan admit that love exists and she is in love with booth. See if her perspective about other things changes.

thabeatles772

[120]Mar 26, 2011
    • level: 18
    Yeah I was just reading this fanfic the other day and I forget the specifics but the author really delved into those issues like what you mentioned JustAnnW and I was really enjoying it. I mean a little of that purely lovey dovey stuff is great but it gets boring and repetitive.