OFFICIAL DISCUSSION 7 x 13 - The Past in the Present

layle1

[1]May 14, 2012
    • level: 72
    Please use this thread for all discussion of the episode "The Past in the Present."
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

wildhoney66

[2]May 14, 2012
    • level: 13

i dunno what anyone else thought of the episode but i freaking LOVED IT! it was the best season finale that they've done in a LOOOOOOOONG TIME! i've enjoyed each of them so far granted. but this was a good one. does anyone know when the last what 4 episodes are due to air yet?

bonebooth

[3]May 14, 2012
    • level: 5

I loved the finale. I was confused as to what Pelant was doing in their house towards the end though. I noticed the familiar time of 4:47 on their clock. Anyone have an opinion on what he was doing with it when he switched it? Had he placed a camera or did he know he was already on camera? That part confused me, which is probably just as the writers wanted it I'm sure.

I really loved how much Brennan has grown to trust Booth so much emotionally too, great to hear her tell him she loves him & that she's not there just because of Christine. She even told Angela she loved her when she was thanking her for believing in her. Excellant on Brennan's growth. I'm not usually a big fan of Cam, however, her crying scene with Hodgins was very good, showed a lot of compassion on her part. Everyone was incredible!!

SlidingKat

[4]May 14, 2012
    • level: 5
    Hated it. Horrible ending covering a situation that has been done THREE times now (New Orleans and trial). Not the way I want a season to end.

When do the 4 episodes air?

DougClark2

[5]May 14, 2012
    • level: 3

I really loved how much Brennan has grown to trust Booth so much emotionally too, great to hear her tell him she loves him & that she's not there just because of Christine. She even told Angela she loved her when she was thanking her for believing in her.

I dunno. I gotta say, I'm not seeing it. If season one picked up with Booth and Bones already having a child together, I don't see her reacting any differently now than then. Constantly dismissive of anything Booth has to say (see the whole sitter situation). Dismissive of his realization as to how serious the situation was. And IMO, the only reason she ran was because she realized it was the logical thing to do knowing that once in the system, she'd be in even more trouble.

Why though take her baby with her while she's on the run? Booth is more than capable of taking care of her. He's home. He's stable. He has a network of friends who are willing to help out. As selfish as it gets on Bone's part. And fine, she doesn't want to tell him where's she's going so he can have deniability...but obviously he knows she's took off, so where exactly was the problem in her treating him like her family and actually filling him in on her plan so they could at least say their goodbyes?

Bone's inability to socialize has always been a form of protection to keep others at bay and think of herself first. Kidnapping a child from a father she claims to love so much is as "me first" as it gets

hobs202

[6]May 14, 2012
    • level: 4

SlidingKat wrote:
    Hated it. Horrible ending covering a situation that has been done THREE times now (New Orleans and trial). Not the way I want a season to end. When do the 4 episodes air?

Wow. What a lame reason for disliking an episode. "It's already been done" Oh please. Both those episodes (New Orleans and the trial) were VERY different from this one. The trial one Brennan wasn't even framed. She just brought up the possibility that she could have committed murder herself in order to introduce reasonable doubt into the case against Max.

hobs202

[7]May 14, 2012

DougClark2 wrote:

Why though take her baby with her while she's on the run?

Well... Let's see. For starters, Pellant BROKE INTO THEIR HOUSE AND GOT INTO CHRISTINE'S ROOM. Who WOULDN'T want to take their baby and run if that happened?

DougClark2

[8]May 14, 2012
    • level: 3

Well... Let's see. For starters, Pellant BROKE INTO THEIR HOUSE AND GOT INTO CHRISTINE'S ROOM. Who WOULDN'T want to take their baby and run if that happened?

Bone's had absolutely no idea anybody broke into her house so it couldn't possibly have been any motivation for her to take her baby with her. In addition, he broke in when nobody was there is another key detail.

Which sounds more secure to you, living on the run from cheap motel to cheap motel or at home with her special agent, army sniper father and his assortment of military and police friends?

BarryWeen3

[9]May 14, 2012
    • level: 14

SlidingKat and Wildhoney66,

More than likely those 4 "extra/bonus" episodes will be folded into Season 8. It was originally thought they might air those 4 episodes asa "mini" summer season but according to a recent HH interview, that possibility was being looked at when they didn't know if they would be renewed for season 8.

Now that they have, those 4 episodes are probably going to air as part of season 8 since they were written as stand alone episodes that could fit in anywhere. That's not to say they still couldn't air during the summer, but it's probably more likely they'll air as part of season 8, which would make "karmic" sense as a longer season 8 would partially make up for a shortened season 7. Just like when we had a longer season 4 following the writers' strike shortened season 3.

Click on the spoiler below for episode titles and details.

***SPOILER***

Edited on 05/15/2012 12:31pm
    Edited 3 total times.

BarryWeen3

[10]May 14, 2012

Knew there was going to be a cliffhanger ending.

Since we knew Pellant was going to be back for Season 8 and because of the ominous spoilers on this episode that promised the team would be changed (dum, dum, dum) because of what he does in this episode.

Still it was a bold season finale. I liked it.

hobs202

[11]May 14, 2012

DougClark2 wrote:

Bone's had absolutely no idea anybody broke into her house so it couldn't possibly have been any motivation for her to take her baby with her. In addition, he broke in when nobody was there is another key detail.

Which sounds more secure to you, living on the run from cheap motel to cheap motel or at home with her special agent, army sniper father and his assortment of military and police friends?

Believe it or not, the first option actually sounds better in this case. I don't know how to explain it, but it just seems better.

Anyway, I think the reason why Brennan took Christine with her is because she didn't want to do what Max did and run out of her daughter's life - even if it was to protect her.

CrazyAsian1080

[12]May 14, 2012
    • level: 7

I hatePelant for the same reason I hateAnson from Burn Notice. They just come off too perfect. When shows/comics/movies let that happen the only real way for the good guys to win is by some randomdeus ex machina which is never satisfying. Granted the good guys need a villain they cannot instantly beat, but Pelant just rubs me the wrong way (not entirely sure if it's because the writers/actor are really good or I just really hate the omnipresent villainarchetype). I really hope he ends up killing himself in some completely idiotic way.

Overall I kind of liked the episode for one main reason. It almost sets up the perfect reason to bring back Eric Millegan for a few episodes.

BarryWeen3

[13]May 15, 2012

CrazyAsian1080 wrote:

I hatePelant for the same reason I hateAnson from Burn Notice. They just come off too perfect. When shows/comics/movies let that happen the only real way for the good guys to win is by some randomdeus ex machina which is never satisfying. Granted the good guys need a villain they cannot instantly beat, but Pelant just rubs me the wrong way (not entirely sure if it's because the writers/actor are really good or I just really hate the omnipresent villainarchetype). I really hope he ends up killing himself in some completely idiotic way.

Overall I kind of liked the episode for one main reason. It almost sets up the perfect reason to bring back Eric Millegan for a few episodes.

I like that idea. Zach comes in to save the day, maybe he can be the deux ex machina...

sasilik

[14]May 15, 2012
    • level: 8

CrazyAsian1080 wrote:

I hate Pelant for the same reason I hate Anson from Burn Notice. They just come off too perfect. When shows/comics/movies let that happen the only real way for the good guys to win is by some randomdeus ex machina which is never satisfying. Granted the good guys need a villain they cannot instantly beat, but Pelant just rubs me the wrong way (not entirely sure if it's because the writers/actor are really good or I just really hate the omnipresent villainarchetype). I really hope he ends up killing himself in some completely idiotic way.

I concur, Pelant isn't just too perfect but hyper-super-overly-impossibly perfect. What rubs me the wrong way is his" overwriting the security video with Brennan image and doing whatever he wishes just using the books stripe or whatever codes they are using at library". It kind of goes beyond the absurd.

thabeatles772

[15]May 15, 2012
    • level: 18

I've never cried for any other episode, so I guess this one is pretty special. I just felt horrible for Booth at the end (and a little frustrated that i'll have to wait til the new season for all these events to finally culminate when angela and everyone was getting so close ) Anyways im Not gonna break it down too much coz I just loved every little bit of it. But I did love the role Cam played in this episode, it was amazing. And though I haven't always exactly loved Cam in the past, I'm really liking her in the present haha..
    Wasn't expecting the 447 thing to go down like that. Actually i'm pretty annoyed that i have to continue to wait for that to playout.
    BB&C - cute as ever , a little bit heartbreaking.. Gonna go cry now until the start of season 8 coz I can't handle this sh*t :/

Edited on 05/15/2012 4:26am

Geri08

[16]May 15, 2012
    • level: 31

TVoM Recap...Did Pelant perfectly frame Bones for murder?

http://www.tvovermind.com/bones/bones-season-7-finale-recap-the-past-in-the-present/#.T7H2vN7-FcI.twitter

Geri08

[17]May 15, 2012

Wetpaint Recap...

http://www.wetpaint.com/bones/articles/bones-recap-for-season-7-finale-episode-13-the-past-in-the-present-were-afraid-of-the-big-bad-wolf

Geri08

[18]May 15, 2012

Now this is more to my thinking right now ...Buddy TV Recap...

http://www.buddytv.com/articles/bones/bones-recap-nothing-is-the-way-45661.aspx

Geri08

[19]May 15, 2012

The Voice of TV...

http://thevoiceoftv.com/recaps-and-reviews/bones-7-16-review-the-past-in-the-present/

Geri08

[20]May 15, 2012

Paul Levinson....

http://paullevinson.blogspot.it/2012/05/bones-season-7-finale-suspect-bones.html